Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 12 of 17
Re: Keith's playing better this tour.
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 18, 2021 04:21

Rocktiludrop
MelBelli
It was a great idea bringing back “Connection” for this tour: not just injections and infections, but “All I want to do / is to get back to you” for the post-quarantine reunion.

But man, that performance in Detroit makes me think they’ve gotta dump it for the last two shows. It was not all Keith’s fault, either.

Same here, was pleased to hear Connection now I'd he pleased for Happy to replace it.
Out of curiosity what do you think else went wrong with Connection in Detroit, I'm not enough of a musician to be sure, was Chuck maybe a bit out of sequence ?
Something sounded really off to me.

i wouldn't mind hearing him take a wack at learning the game in austin again

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 18, 2021 04:23

Justin
Let him be 77 years old in peace. That includes letting him sit down for a few minutes throughout the show...

You make it sound as if he's out to pasture, or belongs in a nursing home or something... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 18, 2021 04:32

Switching to open-G, as with Winos in ‘88, would solve the Connection problem.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 18, 2021 04:40

Justin
Hairball
When the strongest components and elements of the Rolling Stones live is credited to the sidemen and not the original and/or official members...something's not quite right.
Maybe it's time to bring in a third guitar player (no not Blondie) to clean up the mess , steady the ship, and try to help hold it all together.

Talk about melodramatic.

Keith was on point for most of the tour--especially the first few shows and frankly still carries the show pretty well even as the tour is now closing. Bring in another guitar player for what? For when he plays Connection? Keith doesn't need any help when he's playing JJF, STU or Rambler. He's fine. Let him be 77 years old in peace. That includes letting him sit down for a few minutes throughout the show. Who cares?

Fair point. Thinking about it, no additional guitar player could prevent major hickups from the other two. I was actually quite happy, even enthusiastic with Keith's whole appearence at tour start. It's just that in recent shows a certain, let's say, sloppiness crept in and the fact that even the usual well-meaning press started picking up on this worries me, but I guess we have to live with that phenomenon of lacking concentration -whatever the reasons may be- in the last part of tour(s). That said, some songs, not exactly the ones you mentioned, could use some more well-structured soloing imo, like Shelter or Sympathy, and Ronnie playing the same riff throughout JJF does indeed sound a bit unimaginative for my taste. Just some examples.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-18 04:43 by retired_dog.

Date: November 18, 2021 04:43

i'm not a musician and i have a question for those who understand this better why is it that keith can play a great solo over and over again in connection but can't get the intro right it seems to me to be the easier thing to play

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 18, 2021 04:47

ProfessorWolf
i'm not a musician and i have a question for those who understand this better why is it that keith can play a great solo over and over again in connection but can't get the intro right it seems to me to be the easier thing to play

Even as a musician I can only guess but sometimes it's easier to do a solo once you're in the groove of a song than starting it somewhat unconcentrated, probably with the song before still in mind.

Date: November 18, 2021 04:48

ProfessorWolf

Much as it pains me to say, he’s not playing great solos. But I know what you mean: why is the intro to JJF so halting when he seems just fine for the rest of the song? I can’t answer that - other than to say he suffers from a general loss of dexterity.

This version of Connection from Paris, 1995, almost startles me. I can even tolerate the sound of the Les Paul Jr.!

[youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-18 04:50 by MelBelli.

Date: November 18, 2021 04:57

MelBelli
ProfessorWolf

Much as it pains me to say, he’s not playing great solos. But I know what you mean: why is the intro to JJF so halting when he seems just fine for the rest of the song? I can’t answer that - other than to say he suffers from a general loss of dexterity.

This version of Connection from Paris, 1995, almost startles me. I can even tolerate the sound of the Les Paul Jr.!

[youtu.be]

i get what you mean but for him in the last 8 or so years the solos he's been doing during connection have been some of his best which makes his inability to play the intro all the more confusing to me

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2021 05:37

I don’t think Keith’s performed a great solo on Connection since those renditions from ‘95, like in the link MelBelli has posted. That’s truly great stuff, right there! Don’t get me wrong: his soloing on Connection, today, is often melodious enough, but it’s a far, far cry from yesteryear. If only Keith hadn’t of aged 25 years!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2021 05:46

ProfessorWolf

i get what you mean but for him in the last 8 or so years the solos he's been doing during connection have been some of his best which makes his inability to play the intro all the more confusing to me

Until this tour, Connection was last performed fifteen years ago; and even then, only on eight occasions in 2006

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 18, 2021 06:06

Wow, that 1995 version has power, attack, and energy that stands out. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 18, 2021 07:04

Hairball
Justin
Let him be 77 years old in peace. That includes letting him sit down for a few minutes throughout the show...

You make it sound as if he's out to pasture, or belongs in a nursing home or something... eye rolling smiley

You're the one going on with the nonsense about a third guitar player and making it sound like he can't play anymore. Leave him be

Date: November 18, 2021 07:12

Justin
Hairball
Justin

You're the one going on with the nonsense about a third guitar player and making it sound like he can't play anymore. Leave him be

The discussion was about Ronnie and Keith messing up Connection - nobody ever said Keith can't play anymore.
The inclusion of a third guitar player should be considered an embellishment, and definitely not as a replacement.
In the same way Chuck makes guitar noises with his keyboards to cover for Keith at times - it's an embellishment.

Date: November 18, 2021 07:43

Big Al
ProfessorWolf

Until this tour, Connection was last performed fifteen years ago; and even then, only on eight occasions in 2006

i understand that i meant of his solos in general in the last couple years not just on connection but maybe i should have said last 4 years though 8 is a bit of a stretch admittedly

and yeah that version from 95 is really great

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 18, 2021 08:16

Rocktiludrop
bitusa2012
Rocktiludrop
bitusa2012
Jesus. We don’t KNOW if Keith hit the turps in celebration or not. We DO know he’s aged.

His playing IS better than the last few tours, though he was “fine” in Australia in 2014. But is he EVER going to be playing as consistently well as he was in his youth? No.

Full stop. Grateful he’s playing at all, that’s me.

I said i don't know, read my post properly.
Yeah I'm grateful he's still playing, grateful he's still alive even if he chooses not to play after this, what's your problem, can't people discuss what causes the mistakes anymore.

The man plays 8 shows straight with barely a mistake and then goes back to being inconsistent, that's up for conversation, i love the guy but it looks to me like he turned his back on reaching new heights this tour, a missed opportunity, for me it's disappointing.

Actually, now that I read your post properly, thanks for asking me to do so…, I see:

“I have a theory Keith was playing so well up to Minneapolis that he lost his guard and started celebrating his resurgence to greatness the only way he knows how. I think at age 78 he made himself unwell drinking and playing, basically he's @#$%& himself up”.

Perhaps I was subconsciously referring to you..

The subconscious mind is a strange thing when it comes to denial, I'd say it was painfully obvious you was referring to me but your ego wanted to justify the large print you plaster all over your posts.

I believe you have an UNconscious mind, let alone subconscious

Rod

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: November 18, 2021 10:20

I love Keith, he's always been my hero. And his playing has been mostly very focused on this tour. But I just listened to that Detroit Connection. Damn, man.Try listening to it without watching the screen and not thinking it's your favourite band. Just listen it as it is. Huh.
I hope Keith returns to Happy for the rest of the tour. And all the best for him, he's done good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-18 10:21 by padre69.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 18, 2021 10:57

bitusa2012 it was just a theory of mine, not to worry, im happy to agree to disagree, to be honest I'm not sure what we are disagreeing on, I've been saying how great Keith was this tour up until recently, he's still playing better than i imagined, it's all good smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2021 11:12

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 18, 2021 12:54

"I have a theory ........."said the character Bruno Anthony (played by Robert Walker) in the classic film noir Strangers on a train......

Date: November 18, 2021 14:06

MelBelli
It is largely Keith losing his place and, during the solo, notes getting caught under his fingers. But between 11:40 and 12:00 in this clip, Ronnie must be the culprit, because Keith isn’t playing:

[youtu.be]

One thing I’ve noticed: the guitar is slung so damn low, he has to bend almost to the floor to play anything with more-than-unusual detail. Looks painful!

Thanks for clarifying MelBelli.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-18 15:55 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 18, 2021 16:03

Rockman

Very Romantic

[youtu.be]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-18 16:55 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 18, 2021 22:31

Hopefully Keith has saved some of his focus and attention span for Austin and especially the overpriced final show.
Maybe he should avoid Connection completely as it seems to have been a stumbling block for both he and Ronnie this tour.
That amazing version from '95 posted above puts it in perspective how disjointed it's become - it's difficult to even listen to the recent versions.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 19, 2021 07:16

I think he has Happy buried in one of those hats.

Date: November 19, 2021 09:55

<One thing I’ve noticed: the guitar is slung so damn low, he has to bend almost to the floor to play anything with more-than-unusual detail. Looks painful!>

This has baffled me as well. We all shrink with age, and seemingly Keith has kept his strap adjustment since he was 47. Makes it much harder to see what you're doing, hence you're bound to get bum notes now and again.

Maybe that's why he's strumming the neck all the time, too? It's a long way to the pickups/bridge smiling smiley

When that is said, I think Keith is doing a much better job than we could expect of him, from what I've seen on videos from this tour thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 19, 2021 13:33

Keith Strums on the neck a lot because he prefers the response and sound...

...and that's partly why he has the guitar slung so low, to have it in the best place to hit chords and notes on the neck .

Date: November 19, 2021 14:53

Spud
Keith Strums on the neck a lot because he prefers the response and sound...

...and that's partly why he has the guitar slung so low, to have it in the best place to hit chords and notes on the neck .

Hmmm. To quote the great Frances McDormand, I’m not sure I agree with your police work there. You can easily access the neck of a guitar with your right hand even if you’re seated and it’s resting against your chest.

He wears it that low because he always has, and it looks cool.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 19, 2021 16:22

Well Keith said that himself...

Not sure exactly which interview [I'm not quite that big an anorak winking smiley] but I do recall it.

[He also spoke jokingly about it before thee real explanation...laughing that you should always be able to see your belt buckle...either below or above the guitar and he left the high slung vibe to George Harrison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-19 16:26 by Spud.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: November 19, 2021 19:38

Jimmy Page now that's a low slung guitar.

Tom Morello very high.

Keith likes it that way so he plays it that way.

It is harder to play that low but going on many decades he's always strung it there.

Date: November 20, 2021 17:07

Don't know about low hung guitar defining cool, this guy playing Taylors parts on GS with DPs iorr band is damn cool, or is it just the way he plays smoking smiley
Who is he?
[youtu.be]

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: November 20, 2021 18:19

Yeah, that's the honorable Mathijs on the Les Paul...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 12 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home