Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 17
Re: Keith's playing better this tour.
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 16, 2021 22:36

Hairball
MelBelli
I’ll take your word for it.

But the playing seems fine from both of them on MR.

The tone is just godawful. For the life of me, I don’t know how they can find it satisfying:

[youtu.be]

Nails on a chalkboard, and that includes Ronnie.

Yes, some of the playing is fine , and other times Keith is simply "lost in space".
It's clear to many he has other things on his mind, and seems the peak was in Minneapolis with a steady downhill spiral since then...

I agree but thought Keith was back on song again last night, he played well, the energy and aura was strong again for most of the show, maybe he sobered up or cut back on the weed or whatever.

Personally i don't think Keith or Ronnie have ever had a better sound from their guitars, ( 89' 90' technically much better but not the sound ) listen to Keith on Rambler last night, it's mindblowingly goood.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 16, 2021 22:42

It seems like there’s a long time between songs, too, generally speaking. The guy gets tired, needs a breather. I had side view seats in Brooklyn, 2012. Before he walked out for “Sympathy,” he was behind the drum riser, leaning and resting. That was almost 10 years ago. This is hardly shocking or even alarming.

The point of my posts above is solely about tone — his and Ronnie’s. They are making a conscious choice about the way they sound. To me, it’s the opposite of what they should be doing — especially given their advanced age and decline in dexterity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-16 22:44 by MelBelli.

Date: November 16, 2021 22:46

benito
In Atlanta, Keith was very inconsistent-Played some songs great, some songs he seemed to disappear.....What was most concerning was his physical condition- SEVERAL times he sat down on stage on a bench directly in front of the Drum Kit, haven’t seen him do that before. He also disappeared completely behind the drum kit on multiple songs for at least half the songs, seemed he was ill possibly? Either way, he did play very well on multiple occasions, but folks I was around kept saying “Keith doesn’t seem well”.......

I'd go along with that, i have a theory Keith was playing so well up to Minneapolis that he lost his guard and started celebrating his resurgence to greatness the only way he knows how. I think at age 78 he made himself unwell drinking and playing, basically he's @#$%& himself up , my bet is that he's back on the straight and narrow but obviously it's taken it's toll on an old body so don't expect him to be match fit again until Europe next year if he can look after himself.

These are just my observations, i could well be completely wrong of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-16 22:49 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 16, 2021 23:38

Camera focused of Keith during JJF, could explain why he makes a mess of the Gimme Shelter intro, he looks tired.

JJF Detroit.
[m.youtube.com]

Then again at Charlotte, 6 weeks ago, Keith moving so much better like a far younger man, don't tell me there isn't a difference, anyone can see it.

JJF Charlotte
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-17 00:14 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2021 23:50

benito
In Atlanta, Keith was very inconsistent-Played some songs great, some songs he seemed to disappear.....What was most concerning was his physical condition- SEVERAL times he sat down on stage on a bench directly in front of the Drum Kit, haven’t seen him do that before. He also disappeared completely behind the drum kit on multiple songs for at least half the songs, seemed he was ill possibly? Either way, he did play very well on multiple occasions, but folks I was around kept saying “Keith doesn’t seem well”.......

It's sometimes hard to watch, but it's Keith and most of us are always rooting for him to come through, focus, and make it happen.
And when it happens, it's still a great pleasure to listen to and see the riffmaster in his element - there will never be another one like him.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 17, 2021 01:39

Rocktiludrop
benito

I'd go along with that, i have a theory Keith was playing so well up to Minneapolis that he lost his guard and started celebrating his resurgence to greatness the only way he knows how. I think at age 78 he made himself unwell drinking and playing, basically he's @#$%& himself up , my bet is that he's back on the straight and narrow but obviously it's taken it's toll on an old body so don't expect him to be match fit again until Europe next year if he can look after himself.

These are just my observations, i could well be completely wrong of course.

Glad I was at the Nashville show. I thought Keith was very good.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: November 17, 2021 03:32

Being on the road and playing for what 2 or 3 hours is tiring, especially for a 78 year old.

Heck, go on a business trip for a week or two, it's exhausting.

They're doing really well for guys their age.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 17, 2021 05:11

Jesus. We don’t KNOW if Keith hit the turps in celebration or not. We DO know he’s aged.

His playing IS better than the last few tours, though he was “fine” in Australia in 2014. But is he EVER going to be playing as consistently well as he was in his youth? No.

Full stop. Grateful he’s playing at all, that’s me.

Rod

Date: November 17, 2021 10:50

bitusa2012
Jesus. We don’t KNOW if Keith hit the turps in celebration or not. We DO know he’s aged.

His playing IS better than the last few tours, though he was “fine” in Australia in 2014. But is he EVER going to be playing as consistently well as he was in his youth? No.

I said i don't know, read my post properly.
Yeah I'm grateful he's still playing, grateful he's still alive even if he chooses not to play after this, what's your problem, can't people discuss what causes the mistakes anymore.

The man plays 8 shows straight with barely a mistake and then goes back to being inconsistent, that's up for conversation, i love the guy but it looks to me like he turned his back on reaching new heights this tour, a missed opportunity, for me it's disappointing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-17 10:57 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 17, 2021 10:55

Rocktiludrop
bitusa2012

I said I don't know, read my post properly.
Yeah I'm grateful he's still playing, grateful he's still alive even if he chooses not to play after this, what's your problem, can't people discuss what causes the mistakes anymore.

Wow. You LOVE firing up. Self important? Did I actually REFER to YOU? If so, where? Snap out of it.

Rod

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 17, 2021 12:53

I don't know why some people have to make up stories about Keith's playing every tour. His playing is not worse than in the beginning of the tour, it has been on the same level the whole tour - very similar to last few tours. In St Louis he made mistakes and every other show this tour he also made a few mistakes here and there. Nothing new or surprising about his playing ability.

Date: November 17, 2021 13:11

TheBlockbuster
I don't know why some people have to make up stories about Keith's playing every tour. His playing is not worse than in the beginning of the tour, it has been on the same level the whole tour - very similar to last few tours. In St Louis he made mistakes and every other show this tour he also made a few mistakes here and there. Nothing new or surprising about his playing ability.

Up until SSS at Tampa Keith was on fire and just about every poster on iorr and critics alike were in agreement,( we are also talking energy) not so much since Tampa, inconsistency, but the good news is apart from Connection and a few bum notes here and there Keith was back in Detroit, so hopefully he improves on that during the last two shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-17 13:44 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 17, 2021 13:25

Rocktiludrop
bitusa2012

The man plays 8 shows straight with barely a mistake and then goes back to being inconsistent, that's up for conversation, i love the guy but it looks to me like he turned his back on reaching new heights this tour, a missed opportunity, for me it's disappointing.

Actually, now that I read your post properly, thanks for asking me to do so…, I see:

“I have a theory Keith was playing so well up to Minneapolis that he lost his guard and started celebrating his resurgence to greatness the only way he knows how. I think at age 78 he made himself unwell drinking and playing, basically he's @#$%& himself up”.

Perhaps I was subconsciously referring to you..

Rod

Date: November 17, 2021 13:38

bitusa2012
Rocktiludrop
bitusa2012

Actually, now that I read your post properly, thanks for asking me to do so…, I see:

“I have a theory Keith was playing so well up to Minneapolis that he lost his guard and started celebrating his resurgence to greatness the only way he knows how. I think at age 78 he made himself unwell drinking and playing, basically he's @#$%& himself up”.

Perhaps I was subconsciously referring to you..

The subconscious mind is a strange thing when it comes to denial, I'd say it was painfully obvious you was referring to me but your ego wanted to justify the large print you plaster all over your posts.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 17, 2021 15:03

Not sure what your sniffing there Rocktiludrop but it's clear in several of your posts that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 17, 2021 15:47

stargroover
Not sure what your sniffing there Rocktiludrop but it's clear in several of your posts that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

That’s what I noticed too. He’s only been a few months but it’s up in the hundreds. He’s always negative and instigating. I wonder if it’s a new name of someone that has been banned before. He acts like he owns the message board. Don’t waste your time with this angry person

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 17, 2021 16:29

Cooltoplady
stargroover

That’s what I noticed too. He’s only been a few months but it’s up in the hundreds. He’s always negative and instigating. I wonder if it’s a new name of someone that has been banned before. He acts like he owns the message board. Don’t waste your time with this angry person

He's been here much longer, albeit under different disguises, likely banned not only once. He suffers from the what I call "Lady Di syndrome" - he simply can't have his Stones without added drama. And if there isn't one, he loves making some up. Strong narcistic tendencies imo.

Date: November 17, 2021 16:47

I'm not an angry person, just adding to the conversations, if you three guys rather i piss off that's ok with me.

Date: November 17, 2021 16:51

Just keep up the medication and therapy you might pull through Rocktiludrop,you won't always be a laughing stock.

Date: November 17, 2021 16:53

Very funny retired_dog I think your spot on with that diagnosis.We could all chip in and get the guy some much needed help.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 17, 2021 19:14

Rocktiludrop
I'm not an angry person, just adding to the conversations, if you three guys rather i piss off that's ok with me.

Hey noticed too that you can’t control yourself. You are an angry person just chill dude. Relax. You’ll be fine

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: November 17, 2021 19:17

Ive got to disagree based on my two shows on this tour to date... will watch again at Hard Rock but I don't see live any of what you are alluding to on this leg of tour.

Date: November 17, 2021 19:20

It was a great idea bringing back “Connection” for this tour: not just injections and infections, but “All I want to do / is to get back to you” for the post-quarantine reunion.

But man, that performance in Detroit makes me think they’ve gotta dump it for the last two shows. It was not all Keith’s fault, either.

Date: November 17, 2021 23:53

MelBelli
It was a great idea bringing back “Connection” for this tour: not just injections and infections, but “All I want to do / is to get back to you” for the post-quarantine reunion.

But man, that performance in Detroit makes me think they’ve gotta dump it for the last two shows. It was not all Keith’s fault, either.

Same here, was pleased to hear Connection now I'd he pleased for Happy to replace it.
Out of curiosity what do you think else went wrong with Connection in Detroit, I'm not enough of a musician to be sure, was Chuck maybe a bit out of sequence ?
Something sounded really off to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-17 23:54 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 18, 2021 00:43

It is largely Keith losing his place and, during the solo, notes getting caught under his fingers. But between 11:40 and 12:00 in this clip, Ronnie must be the culprit, because Keith isn’t playing:

[youtu.be]

One thing I’ve noticed: the guitar is slung so damn low, he has to bend almost to the floor to play anything with more-than-unusual detail. Looks painful!

Date: November 18, 2021 01:07

Rocktiludrop
MelBelli

Same here, was pleased to hear Connection now I'd he pleased for Happy to replace it.
Out of curiosity what do you think else went wrong with Connection in Detroit, I'm not enough of a musician to be sure, was Chuck maybe a bit out of sequence ?

Chuck? Never ever. Say what you want about him, but he, along with Steve and Darryl, prevents this Connection from falling apart. My ears are telling me both guitar players are responsible for the mess, albeit in different places of the song.

Date: November 18, 2021 02:02

retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
MelBelli

Chuck? Never ever. Say what you want about him, but he, along with Steve and Darryl, prevents this Connection from falling apart. My ears are telling me both guitar players are responsible for the mess, albeit in different places of the song.

Correct.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 18, 2021 02:38

When the strongest components and elements of the Rolling Stones live is credited to the sidemen and not the original and/or official members...something's not quite right.
Maybe it's time to bring in a third guitar player (no not Blondie) to clean up the mess , steady the ship, and try to help hold it all together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-18 02:40 by Hairball.

Date: November 18, 2021 02:55

Hairball
When the strongest components and elements of the Rolling Stones live is credited to the sidemen and not the original and/or official members...something's not quite right.
Maybe it's time to bring in a third guitar player (no not Blondie) to clean up the mess , steady the ship, and try to help hold it all together.

Absolutely agree with you here. Taylor would be a natural choice on paper, but I'm not sure he's able to do the task of steadying the whole guitar ship, given that he would be willing to do the job in the first place. Maybe it's time for someone like Waddy...some here would say that they should call themselves "The Expensive Stones" in that case, but, hey, that's essentially what they really are!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 18, 2021 04:12

Hairball

Talk about melodramatic.

Keith was on point for most of the tour--especially the first few shows and frankly still carries the show pretty well even as the tour is now closing. Bring in another guitar player for what? For when he plays Connection? Keith doesn't need any help when he's playing JJF, STU or Rambler. He's fine. Let him be 77 years old in peace. That includes letting him sit down for a few minutes throughout the show. Who cares?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-18 04:13 by Justin.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home