Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 17
Re: Keith's playing better this tour.
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 1, 2021 17:46

Rocktiludrop
DP. Always the voice of calm and reason. thumbs up

Hopefully Keith gets another chance to nail it because had it been in the right key I'm sure the solo would have been strong. smoking smiley

In the right key it possibly could have been his best solo ever...!

Jokes aside, I think this version of Sad Sad Sad is one of the better ones since 1989/90, agree with DP that it rocked. But it was obviously underrehearsed. Maybe next time?

Date: November 1, 2021 17:49

Rocktiludrop
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
Stoneage
Where did all the SSS videos go? The first thing I noticed about that song was not Keith's cacophony, that is part of the equation these days - it was Jordan's drumming. He is kind of one pace ahead of the other throughout the song. Not one step behind like Charlie. It is very much the Stones x 0,6 now. The rhythm section is gone and the guitar section is struggling. Garage band charm? Or not?

So true, remember the Stones are part of the elite these days, a clean up operation follows them.
I didn't want to be the first to say it but, Steve's drums were off too and im a huge supporter of Steve.

Rubbish. Steve's drums weren't off just as Mick's voice wasn't off as you claimed in a previous post - the point is that Keith just completely f****d up his solo and that's all.

And, being the class act that Keith actually is he will be the first to admit that it was his fault and his fault only, instead of seeking excuses and blaming other band members like you obviously feel the need to do in your desperate attempts to save the face of your hero and let me say - he does not need it.

I liked this version - it was mwinking smileyore energetic and better than previous ones after 1990.

However, Keith's solo is in the wrong key and Mick is under pitch for the good part of the song.

But they played it well, and it rocked.

Really? Then my ears must be deaf! Old age, what can I do? Better listen to the YouTube video on a good system? Honestly, Mick may sound a bit shakey here and there - not unusual with rarely played numbers, but "under pitch for the good part of the song" is a vast exaggeration imo.

Again, Keith does not gneed an excuse for his solo. And that goes for whoever is responsible for the guitar bum note(s) at the start of the song, too.

Its not an excuse for the solo, these are two separate facts, Micks voice was weak, thin & flat on Sad Sad Sad, and then later in the song Keith played what would have been a blistering gutsy solo in the wrong key.
That's our opinion, it's not for you to try and change our minds.

I'm well aware that it is impossible to "change your mind" as you're stuck in your corner for far too long. That you talk of yourself in plural is not a good sign, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-01 17:51 by retired_dog.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: November 1, 2021 17:59

Dont ever let Keith play a solo again.Worst solo ever played.And then comes DP and others in to Get the blame on Jagger and the others?Just plain stupid,Keith can,t play solo again,never.

Date: November 1, 2021 19:29

harlem shuffle
Dont ever let Keith play a solo again.Worst solo ever played.And then comes DP and others in to Get the blame on Jagger and the others?Just plain stupid,Keith can,t play solo again,never.

What are you talking about? I said that Keith played the solo in the wrong key.

How did I 'blame' Mick in my reply to retired_dog? He did sing under pitch.

Keith's solo was horrendous, of course.

Date: November 1, 2021 19:32

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
Stoneage
Where did all the SSS videos go? The first thing I noticed about that song was not Keith's cacophony, that is part of the equation these days - it was Jordan's drumming. He is kind of one pace ahead of the other throughout the song. Not one step behind like Charlie. It is very much the Stones x 0,6 now. The rhythm section is gone and the guitar section is struggling. Garage band charm? Or not?

So true, remember the Stones are part of the elite these days, a clean up operation follows them.
I didn't want to be the first to say it but, Steve's drums were off too and im a huge supporter of Steve.

Rubbish. Steve's drums weren't off just as Mick's voice wasn't off as you claimed in a previous post - the point is that Keith just completely f****d up his solo and that's all.

And, being the class act that Keith actually is he will be the first to admit that it was his fault and his fault only, instead of seeking excuses and blaming other band members like you obviously feel the need to do in your desperate attempts to save the face of your hero and let me say - he does not need it.

I liked this version - it was more energetic and better than previous ones after 1990.

However, Keith's solo is in the wrong key and Mick is under pitch for the good part of the song.

But they played it well, and it rocked.

Really? Then my ears must be deaf! Old age, what can I do? Better listen to the YouTube video on a good system? Honestly, Mick may sound a bit shakey here and there - not unusual with rarely played numbers, but "under pitch for the good part of the song" is a vast exaggeration imo.

Again, Keith does not need an excuse for his solo. And that goes for whoever is responsible for the guitar bum note(s) at the start of the song, too.

First half of the song. Then it's better. Could be a monitor thing.

No one needs an excuse, though, it's only rock'n'roll smiling smiley

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 1, 2021 19:47

And most people here judge the sound from cell phone microphones and listened back on a cell phone speaker. Yes the solo was bad but come on people

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: November 1, 2021 20:11

I just talking about Keith,s soloparts,not the rythmplaying.Keith,s ryhtmplaying is still very good

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 1, 2021 21:36

retired_dog
Rocktiludrop

Hopefully Keith gets another chance to nail it because had it been in the right key I'm sure the solo would have been strong. smoking smiley

Jokes aside, I think this version of Sad Sad Sad is one of the better ones since 1989/90, agree with DP that it rocked. But it was obviously underrehearsed. Maybe next time?

I was joking with you mate, absolutely love watching and hearing Jagger every show, he's still at the top of his game and believe it or not i love and admire his performances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-01 21:37 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 1, 2021 22:12

Rocktiludrop
retired_dog
Rocktiludrop

I was joking with you mate, absolutely love watching and hearing Jagger every show, he's still at the top of his game and believe it or not i love and admire his performances.

Well, if we're really honest, we all know that no Stones band member is still at the top of his game (whenever their individual top actually was is debatable!), but they're all very good to excellent in what they're doing, occasional bugs here and there notwithstanding.

Date: November 1, 2021 22:44

retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
retired_dog
Rocktiludrop

Well, if we're really honest, we all know that no Stones band member is still at the top of his game (whenever their individual top actually was is debatable!), but they're all very good to excellent in what they're doing, occasional bugs here and there notwithstanding.

I suppose an old Mick, say, not as good as he was in 81' is still better than the competition.
There are still certain things that are better about this band than before, when I watch them play JJF or Wild Horses a have to think hard to come up with better versions from the past.

Wild Horse's
[m.youtube.com]

JJF
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-01 23:20 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: November 2, 2021 00:43

If you want to talk 'recent' versions of JJF, Buenos Aires 1997 blows that out of the water. But it is to be expected, that was 24 (!) years ago.

It's a good version when taken for what it is, but any version from '69, '70, '72, '73 etc are just on another planet. Once again, it's to be expected - they were young then, and not missing Charlie and Bill, not to mention MT in his prime.

Personally one of my favourite versions is the Texas '78 version, it is played with ferocity and the 'weaving' between Ronnie and Keith is excellent. Hampton '81 is cool in it's own way too.

I can certainly appreciate the version you posted taken within context that it's amazing these three guys are still out there at their ages delivering high octane rock & roll, but let's not kid ourselves that it is better than when they in their prime, or even in 1997.

I will agree that it is a great version for this period though, nice to see Keith slashing across the strings like that!

I think at his age though, and maybe for some time now, not having the guitar hung so low would help! But, rock and roll image and all that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-02 00:45 by erad.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 2, 2021 00:56

Rocktiludrop

I suppose an old Mick, say, not as good as he was in 81' is still better than the competition.
There are still certain things that are better about this band than before, when I watch them play JJF or Wild Horses a have to think hard to come up with better versions from the past.

Wild Horse's
[m.youtube.com]

JJF
[m.youtube.com]

The JJF from 2021 is good no doubt about it. But there's a certain drive/swing missing compared to 2019 with Charlie. The final version of 2019 in Miami was really good:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-02 00:58 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: November 2, 2021 02:31

This one packs even more punch , this is high octane stuff for old men, can't get enough of it.

Keith giving it more here than i believed possible. What brought him back like this, it's just thrilling to watch he and Mick Rocking it out like this and having more fun than ever.

JJF. Charlotte 2021
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-02 02:43 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 2, 2021 09:45

retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
retired_dog
Rocktiludrop

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2021 09:49

Lets see what all you dudes
are doin when ya in ya late seventies

Can ya's pleeeeeze supply footage

(here's footage of us dancin ta Miss you in the retirement village ) .,...hhhaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: November 2, 2021 09:52

grinning smiley

Date: November 2, 2021 10:09

Rockman
Lets see what all you dudes
are doin when ya in ya late seventies

Can ya's pleeeeeze supply footage

(here's footage of us dancin ta Miss you in the retirement village ) .,...hhhaaaa

grinning smileythumbs up

Date: November 2, 2021 16:16

erad
If you want to talk 'recent' versions of JJF, Buenos Aires 1997 blows that out of the water. But it is to be expected, that was 24 (!) years ago.

It's a good version when taken for what it is, but any version from '69, '70, '72, '73 etc are just on another planet. Once again, it's to be expected - they were young then, and not missing Charlie and Bill, not to mention MT in his prime.

Personally one of my favourite versions is the Texas '78 version, it is played with ferocity and the 'weaving' between Ronnie and Keith is excellent. Hampton '81 is cool in it's own way too.

I can certainly appreciate the version you posted taken within context that it's amazing these three guys are still out there at their ages delivering high octane rock & roll, but let's not kid ourselves that it is better than when they in their prime, or even in 1997.

I will agree that it is a great version for this period though, nice to see Keith slashing across the strings like that!

I think at his age though, and maybe for some time now, not having the guitar hung so low would help! But, rock and roll image and all that.

It was 1998, just watched it, incredible but Ronnie wasn't so good as he is now and Micks vocals sound overdubbed .
Charlie was still incredible then, and as for Keith, WOW a force of nature.

Got any links to the 70s versions you mention.

JJF. 1998 Buenos Aires
[m.youtube.com]

Still think the way they play it now hits you just as hard, it's powerful and Keith is still killing it.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-02 16:23 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 2, 2021 16:24

Speaking of live renditions of Jumpin' Jack Flash, I'm mightily impressed by Ronnie and Keith's weaving during the released Wembley '82 show; especially Ronnie’s lead-fills. Great stuff! Maybe it's the overfamiliarity I have with the song, but I don't think I truly analyse the quality of the playing of these live renditions. I just hear 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' Like with Brown Sugar, it's always wondrous and sublime to my ears. I suppose I just forget to pay much attention to the musical details. Am I making sense, here?

Date: November 2, 2021 16:27

They do a unique thing, too, with the 1982-versions. The play the instrumental bridge a lot longer. Leeds went on forever, if memory serves. Did they ever play/sing the third verse? smiling smiley

It gives them a ragged, punk-ish sound. I like those versions a lot. Same with the HTW and BS-versions from 1978.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-02 16:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 2, 2021 16:36

Haha Mick and Ronnie Coked up to the Gills in 82, Keith of course is completely straightsmoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-02 16:45 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 2, 2021 16:41

I'll bold it for ya the next time, Riffie winking smiley

Date: November 2, 2021 16:46

DandelionPowderman
I'll bold it for ya the next time, Riffie winking smiley

Yeah lol, I'm a bit colour blind.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 2, 2021 17:44

Rocktiludrop
JJF. 1998 Buenos Aires
[m.youtube.com]

That's one of the best live performances of it in eons.

A bit long but... Mick sang it completely different.

Date: November 2, 2021 20:09

GasLightStreet
Rocktiludrop
JJF. 1998 Buenos Aires
[m.youtube.com]

A great version, indeed, but Ronnie had already started to play this melody on the higher strings right from the start almost the whole song through just like he does it nowaydays - and I must say that really goes on my nerves because if something is unimaginative guitar playing, it must be something like this, killing a nice catchy little riff by endlessly repeating and therefore overexposing it.

Date: November 2, 2021 20:50

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
Rocktiludrop
JJF. 1998 Buenos Aires
[m.youtube.com]

A great version, indeed, but Ronnie had already started to play this melody on the higher strings right from the start almost the whole song through just like he does it nowaydays - and I must say that really goes on my nerves because if something is unimaginative guitar playing, it must be something like this, killing a nice catchy little riff by endlessly repeating and therefore overexposing it.

Agreed, but in light of his addiction problems back then it was amazing he managed to stay on his feet let alone play guitar.

Date: November 2, 2021 21:10

There was this Keith story doing the rounds in 1990, a band called Gun were the opening act on a few UK dates, they were hard drinking Scottish lads and they had a good session with Keith who was already drunk when they started having pre show drinks with him, as they left to go on stage as the warm up act the lead singer said Keith was comatose drunk and they assumed the show would be postponed or cancelled or at the very least it would be horrendous.

They were gobsmacked when an hour or so later the Stones hit the stage and Keith was on fire, played a great show.smoking smiley

Date: November 2, 2021 21:28

Rocktiludrop
There was this Keith story doing the rounds in 1990, a band called Gun were the opening act on a few UK dates, they were hard drinking Scottish lads and they had a good session with Keith who was already drunk when they started having pre show drinks with him, as they left to go on stage as the warm up act the lead singer said Keith was comatose drunk and they assumed the show would be postponed or cancelled or at the very least it would be horrendous.

They were gobsmacked when an hour or so later the Stones hit the stage and Keith was on fire, played a great show.smoking smiley

Maybe a quick bloodchange did the trick...!

Date: November 2, 2021 22:26

Or a few large white lines.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2021 22:52

No Keith's like WC ... he wont go on stage with animals

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home