Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 17
Re: Keith's playing better this tour.
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 31, 2021 14:33

StonedRambler
I hope you're treating your loved ones better than doubting everything they are and do just because they did one stupid mistake.

I think you miss understand what im saying, i love Keith no question about it, but im concerned he's trying to be that Keith Richards, he doesn't need to be, we love him as he is.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 31, 2021 14:33

You guys are making way too big a thing out of this story. He was just on the wrong fret, happens to everyone from time to time. Maybe he was really loud in the monitors and as already said above didn‘t notice the key center. Maybe, and I think this was more what was happening, his ego just didn‘t allow him to acknowledge the hickup and that‘s why he didn‘t adapt...Either way no big deal

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: October 31, 2021 14:50

I'm curious about what people think about the suggestions in the comments to this Youtube clip, namely, that Keith plays much better when seated.

[www.youtube.com]

I don't know where this clip comes from but it does look relatively recent. Obviously you can't compare studio conditions with live performances but it wouldn't be surprising if all the wandering around he seems to feel he has to do on huge stadia stages distracted from the playing at his age.

Posted by: z ()
Date: October 31, 2021 15:35

StonedRambler
When stage monitoring is really loud it is possible you lose your reference to pitch since overtones can cover up and interfere each other......

True.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 31, 2021 15:43

Where did all the SSS videos go? The first thing I noticed about that song was not Keith's cacophony, that is part of the equation these days - it was Jordan's drumming. He is kind of one pace ahead of the other throughout the song. Not one step behind like Charlie. It is very much the Stones x 0,6 now. The rhythm section is gone and the guitar section is struggling. Garage band charm? Or not?

Posted by: z ()
Date: October 31, 2021 15:46

Lady Jayne
I'm curious about what people think about the suggestions in the comments to this Youtube clip, namely, that Keith plays much better when seated.

[www.youtube.com]

I don't know where this clip comes from but it does look relatively recent. Obviously you can't compare studio conditions with live performances but it wouldn't be surprising if all the wandering around he seems to feel he has to do on huge stadia stages distracted from the playing at his age.

I think in the last few shows he plays the intro for Gimme Shelter seated, no?

Date: October 31, 2021 16:52

Stoneage
Where did all the SSS videos go? The first thing I noticed about that song was not Keith's cacophony, that is part of the equation these days - it was Jordan's drumming. He is kind of one pace ahead of the other throughout the song. Not one step behind like Charlie. It is very much the Stones x 0,6 now. The rhythm section is gone and the guitar section is struggling. Garage band charm? Or not?

So true, remember the Stones are part of the elite these days, a clean up operation follows them.
I didn't want to be the first to say it but, Steve's drums were off too and im a huge supporter of Steve.

Date: October 31, 2021 16:57

z
Lady Jayne

[www.youtube.com]

I think in the last few shows he plays the intro for Gimme Shelter seated, no?

Yes he does, because there was talk of a secret guitarist under the stage playing the intro to GS lol. Keith is now filmed playing the intro sitting down, presumably to quash ridiculous rumours.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-01 00:58 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: October 31, 2021 16:59

Whoops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-31 17:00 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: October 31, 2021 17:00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-31 23:55 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 31, 2021 17:07

Stoneage

“The Rolling Stones as a garage band” — sorry folks, I kind of like this novelty idea in some twisted state of my mind and senses. There’s something fascinating about it, which I can’t fully explain why myself.

Date: October 31, 2021 17:26

A comparison from 1990 (my first Stones gig):

Sad Sad Sad

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 31, 2021 17:35

Stoneage

Sad Sad Sad

One is tape with state or the art equipment at that time and the other is a cell phone. Yes that would be a big difference

Date: October 31, 2021 17:40

Sure Cooltoplady, that is right.

Date: October 31, 2021 17:44

RisingStone
Stoneage

“The Rolling Stones as a garage band” — sorry folks, I kind of like this novelty idea in some twisted state of my mind and senses. There’s something fascinating about it, which I can’t fully explain why myself.

I like your style, yes imperfections are all part of the drama that keeps this band authentic.

Date: October 31, 2021 19:00

When they were God's , Sad Sad Sad 1990 Style
[m.youtube.com]

Date: October 31, 2021 19:06

Stoneage

Sad Sad Sad

Note the bandana worn by Keith — one that he got in Japan in February and was seen wearing from time to time thereafter. “Kamikaze” in Japanese is printed on it (sandwiching the sun symbol), but there he has it upside down lol.

Going off on a tangent further;
This footage reminds me of the thread I started a few months ago, “Change of your perception of the aging Stones through the passage of time”. [iorr.org]

Two quotes from there, including one by myself:

RisingStone
Watching the visual recorded material of the performances of the Stones after turning 40, 50 or even 60, have you ever felt they were younger than you thought back then, and playing brilliantly?

24FPS
Yeah, the 'old' Stones of 1989 seem like young whippersnappers compared to now.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 31, 2021 19:24

Mathiys, I doubt that the majority would think that Mick's singing is awful...I've just listened to a version of " Wild Horses" from about a week ago and it was one of the best live versions that I've heard to date. And in my opinion, " Sad, Sad, Sad " is just an awful song...I have no idea why it's included in the set list...except that they want to sell the " Steel Wheels" stuff. Bad move, especially when Keith forgot what key the song is in...bloody awful mistake! I do think that there's certain amount of nit-picking that goes way over the top. I'm all for enjoying the band & appreciating what it takes for them at this stage of the game to play LIVE!

Date: October 31, 2021 19:35

Rocktiludrop
When they were God's , Sad Sad Sad 1990 Style
[m.youtube.com]

Yes I was there. 26-02-1990, the penultimate date of their ten-night residency at the Tokyo Dome (of which I attended five, the first three and last two). Sitting in the middle tier facing the stage from the left side.

The 'old' Stones AKA Young Whippersnappers are here to stay!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-01 03:29 by RisingStone.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: October 31, 2021 23:44

Veering (remaining) off topic to discuss Mick’s singing.

I saw Tony Bennett a few years ago. He was doing much less singing than he used to do. But he had adapted his style so that he still made the songs meaningful by changing the emphasis he placed on words (or parts of words), hinting at notes, and shaping a vocal line that made the listener think he was singing just as he always had. It was a masterful performance.

Mick does something similar. His vocal performance is as engrossing as ever — even if there’s less actual singing in some songs.

The same could be said about Mick’s dancing and stage movement.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 1, 2021 00:35

Bam, that was very perceptive...the comparison of Mick to Tony Bennett. ( You do know that our discussing Mick's singing is pissing off a few folks who hate that we " veered off topic!" LOL!! ) Mick can still sing and when he concentrates on his delivery the results are enough to bring a tear to your eye...case in point, resent versions of Wild Horses, as I said earlier. I think he gets bored with a few of the songs on these set lists so he hurries to get through it. I've seen him do this many times. The results are lyrics that you can't make out and more shouting than singing but that is not a result of losing his ability. Engrossing is a good word to describe his singing..he does draw us in. I don't think he's lost any of his power.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 1, 2021 01:22

Rocktiludrop
Stoneage

So true, remember the Stones are part of the elite these days, a clean up operation follows them.
I didn't want to be the first to say it but, Steve's drums were off too and im a huge supporter of Steve.

Rubbish. Steve's drums weren't off just as Mick's voice wasn't off as you claimed in a previous post - the point is that Keith just completely f****d up his solo and that's all.

And, being the class act that Keith actually is he will be the first to admit that it was his fault and his fault only, instead of seeking excuses and blaming other band members like you obviously feel the need to do in your desperate attempts to save the face of your hero and let me say - he does not need it.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 1, 2021 02:11

Sad x3 is simply a horrible song. Clearly Micks and an attempt at a modern rock song of its time. Very commercial and cold.

Chuck Berry licks make no sense on this song style and it should be Ronnie's lead since he'd do something more suited.

Poorly played chuck licks in the wrong key...I nominate as the worst solo by a professional musician in years. thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 1, 2021 07:30

StonedRambler
yeababyyea
Phase 1: Keith's playing is better than in years!
Phase 2: They haven't been this good since 1999!
Phase 3: Keith messed up! What was he thinking!?
Phase 4: Keith is heading downhill and needs to rest
Phase 5: They should retire
Yeah, totally rediculous how a thread called "Keith's playing better this tour" is now turning to "he should call it a day" because of ONE screwed up solo on Sad Sad Sad. I said at the beginning of this tour that he plays about the same he played since 2012, he's only more vital and fit on stage. People always are looking for sensations and tend to get overly excited so at the start of every tour you are hearing the usual "they're paying better than ever". Your own emotions are not always reality. Truth is that Keith is playing solid like most of the time since 2012. And now and then he has his usual screw-ups which also do not mean the end of the world. No reason to make a drama out of it.

It's as if Keith licked the stamp in 2002 but from then on he didn't bother to stick it on the envelope.

Date: November 1, 2021 10:00

retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
Stoneage

Rubbish. Steve's drums weren't off just as Mick's voice wasn't off as you claimed in a previous post - the point is that Keith just completely f****d up his solo and that's all.

And, being the class act that Keith actually is he will be the first to admit that it was his fault and his fault only, instead of seeking excuses and blaming other band members like you obviously feel the need to do in your desperate attempts to save the face of your hero and let me say - he does not need it.

My first criticism of Steve btw, yeah i thought he's drumming was slightly off on SSS, or maybe i just prefer the way Charlie played drums on that particular song.
Is that not allowed to be said now. It's not an excuse for Keith's solo, I've said Keith's solo was terrible, in the wrong key, I'm over it, hopefully Keith will be back and firing on all cylinders tomorrow.
Mick sings great this tour but i thought his voice was a bit thin on SSS, probably down to the mobile it was recorded on, you have to be there really to hear it properly.
But yes one mistake from Keith, over reaction from me and others yesterday, it was embarrassing but not the end of the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-01 10:21 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 1, 2021 10:24

retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
Stoneage

I liked this version - it was more energetic and better than previous ones after 1990.

However, Keith's solo is in the wrong key and Mick is under pitch for the good part of the song.

But they played it well, and it rocked.

Date: November 1, 2021 10:41

DP. Always the voice of calm and reason. thumbs up

Hopefully Keith gets another chance to nail it because had it been in the right key I'm sure the solo would have been strong. smoking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 1, 2021 11:25

Markdog
Sad x3 is simply a horrible song. Clearly Micks and an attempt at a modern rock song of its time. Very commercial and cold.

Chuck Berry licks make no sense on this song style and it should be Ronnie's lead since he'd do something more suited.

Poorly played chuck licks in the wrong key...I nominate as the worst solo by a professional musician in years. thumbs up

Cuba's OOC original solo (not the doctored one on the release) was terrible too! Talking about Chuck this is getting dangerously close to his later years :-(

I

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 1, 2021 17:32

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
Stoneage

I liked this version - it was more energetic and better than previous ones after 1990.

However, Keith's solo is in the wrong key and Mick is under pitch for the good part of the song.

Really? Then my ears must be deaf! Old age, what can I do? Better listen to the YouTube video on a good system? Honestly, Mick may sound a bit shakey here and there - not unusual with rarely played numbers, but "under pitch for the good part of the song" is a vast exaggeration imo.

Again, Keith does not need an excuse for his solo. And that goes for whoever is responsible for the guitar bum note(s) at the start of the song, too.

Date: November 1, 2021 17:41

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Rocktiludrop
Stoneage

I liked this version - it was mwinking smileyore energetic and better than previous ones after 1990.

Really? Then my ears must be deaf! Old age, what can I do? Better listen to the YouTube video on a good system? Honestly, Mick may sound a bit shakey here and there - not unusual with rarely played numbers, but "under pitch for the good part of the song" is a vast exaggeration imo.

Again, Keith does not gneed an excuse for his solo. And that goes for whoever is responsible for the guitar bum note(s) at the start of the song, too.

Its not an excuse for the solo, these are two separate facts, Micks voice was weak, thin & flat on Sad Sad Sad, and then later in the song Keith played what would have been a blistering gutsy solo in the wrong key.
That's our opinion, it's not for you to try and change our minds.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home