Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Down In The Hole
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: October 22, 2021 12:09

I always get confused when this song comes up i'm expecting to hear

[www.youtube.com]

But I get the forementioned

I would love to hear the Stones do this track, imagine... it would be huge

Also are there any Marriott try out bootlegs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-22 12:14 by SKILLS.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 22, 2021 13:25

WorriedAboutYou
Witness
To me EMOTIONAL RESCUE is even better than SOME GIRLS, both among their approximately twelve great albums, preferably otherwise without internal ranking.

It is the songs outside the very best though that make EMOTIONAL RESCUE even better than SOME GIRLS, whereas I abstain from ranking between those two albums' very best three songs. There, however, "Down in the Hole", not only a blues song, but a personally felt blues song, is itself among its album's very best three songs (as are "She's So Cold" and "All About You"; "Indian Girl almost there as well).

Strong agree with this. ER is my go-to Stones album and has been for about 15 years. Easily a stronger album for me than Some Girls which I rarely play.

Emotional Rescue
Black and Blue
Beggars Banquet

By far my most played Stones albums.
Some Girls and Emotional Rescue are also 2 of my favorite albums of all time as well . I remember it like yesterday lined up at my local record store ( Just A Song ) on release day 6/20/80 to get it the first day of release (ER ) . These 2 albums were like fired from a cannon for me as they caught my attention big time and the continuity of both albums is amazing as they go together so well .

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 22, 2021 13:54

Silver Dagger
While the Rolling Stones have never played it live our own IORR Band have played a truly amazing version - back at the Alley Cat Club in Denmark Street back in 2016.
Here it is - featuring Dandelion Powderman, 71Tele, Duke Richardson, Erwin H and Wild Slivowitz.

Hoping we get to see them again in London next year for the 60th anniversary gigs. They're the best Stones tribute band going.

[Peering intently] …and isn’t that mr_dja grooving away on bass? smiling smiley

Damn sorry I missed that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-22 13:55 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Date: October 22, 2021 13:58

Before his debut, STG. That's the Duke grooving smiling smiley

smileys with beerRe: Down In The Hole
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 22, 2021 14:28

Oooh, sorry Duke! Bad lighting…

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: October 22, 2021 16:36

Down in the Hole is an excellent bluesy song. Watts drumming is superb. Most of the other songs on the CD are OK but not that great.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 22, 2021 19:21

BitchKeepsBitchin
DOWN IN THE HOLE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Will all your money
Buy you forgiveness
Keep you from sickness
Or keep you from cold?

Will all your money
Keep you from madness
Keep you from sadness
When you're down in the hole?

'Cause you'll be down in the gutter
You'll be bummin' for cigarettes
Bummin' for nylons
In the American Zone

You'll be down in the hole
Yeah, down in the hole
No escape from trouble
Nowhere to go

Down in the gutter
Beggin' for cigarettes
Beggin' forgiveness
All that you know

Down in the hole
After diggin' the trenches
Looking for cover and findin' out there ain't nowhere nowhere to go
Nowhere nowhere nowhere to go

None of your money
Will buy you forgiveness
None of your jewelry
None of your gold

Your black market cigarettes
Your American nightclubs
Ah, they've got nowhere left

Something for nothing
All of your friends gone
Something for nothing
That's all that you know

There's something down in the hole
Down down down in the hole
There's something down down down down in the hole

"Down in the Hole" is about war and when you are down in the hole, you are on the the front line in a trench waiting to kill somebody or be killed. It's a serious song, painting an image of what it's like when it could be your last day. Money doesn't matter, you can go mad, or be sad, cold, sick, or sorry if you are down in the hole.

This is to me an important post of this thread. Because how much that I have listened to this song and have heard words and lines of the lyrics, I have still as much at the same time listened to Mick Jagger's voice as a musical instrument. Besides, I have very much been captured by the personal feel of this blues. But I dont know why, I have never actually read the lyrics of this song. And apparently I had not absorbed all the words of it.

Then I have not before noticed what you present in your warranted interpretation. That this blues song is a kind of war blues. I can't myself remember anybody ever has said so.

[Then the wonderful EMOTIONAL RESCUE album have both a war blues and a song about an Indian Girl in a Latin American context.]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 22, 2021 19:41

flilflam
Down in the Hole is an excellent bluesy song. Watts drumming is superb. Most of the other songs on the CD are OK but not that great.

It's one of the all too few songs on ER that actually impressed me on first listening back then. It's faded out early enough though before it's starting to drag a bit.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home