Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Down In The Hole
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2021 18:28

CousinC
Album is a keeper - or even a latebloomer.
I listen to it quite often now.

Some good stuff. Only song I always skip is Indian Girls.

It's the only time I ever get to listen to a mariachi band!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 20, 2021 20:27

CousinC

Obviously your privilege to choose to skip " Indian Girl".

But then you lose that song's ingredience of Latin American flavour, feeling and subjectmatter for EMOTIONAL RESCUE that have this special link to the title track of UNDERCOVER.

Date: October 20, 2021 20:53

ER's production and sound deserves a mention. A good step up from SG, imo.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 20, 2021 22:04

Witness
CousinC

Obviously your privilege to choose to skip " Indian Girl".

But then you lose that song's ingredience of Latin American flavour, feeling and subjectmatter for EMOTIONAL RESCUE that have this special link to the title track of UNDERCOVER.

Well yeah, even the worst Stones songs have some nice ingrediences.
But Indian Girl I couldn't stand from first listen and that hasn't changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-20 22:11 by CousinC.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 20, 2021 22:10

DandelionPowderman

When I listen to SG on vinyl it has a nice warm sound. ER is more slick by comparison.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 21, 2021 02:22

DandelionPowderman

Yes, ER's production and sound is possibly 5 steps up from Out Of Our Heads and 4 steps up from Aftermath, but what does it really matter if the actual music is a few steps down from these?

Songs like Indian Girl still suck, no matter the sound or the intellectual ingredients that witness pointed out. It's ABBA sound, not the lyrics, but the music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-21 02:23 by retired_dog.

Date: October 21, 2021 03:05

DOWN IN THE HOLE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Will all your money
Buy you forgiveness
Keep you from sickness
Or keep you from cold?

Will all your money
Keep you from madness
Keep you from sadness
When you're down in the hole?

'Cause you'll be down in the gutter
You'll be bummin' for cigarettes
Bummin' for nylons
In the American Zone

You'll be down in the hole
Yeah, down in the hole
No escape from trouble
Nowhere to go

Down in the gutter
Beggin' for cigarettes
Beggin' forgiveness
All that you know

Down in the hole
After diggin' the trenches
Looking for cover and findin' out there ain't nowhere nowhere to go
Nowhere nowhere nowhere to go

None of your money
Will buy you forgiveness
None of your jewelry
None of your gold

Your black market cigarettes
Your American nightclubs
Ah, they've got nowhere left

Something for nothing
All of your friends gone
Something for nothing
That's all that you know

There's something down in the hole
Down down down in the hole
There's something down down down down in the hole

"Down in the Hole" is about war and when you are down in the hole, you are on the the front line in a trench waiting to kill somebody or be killed. It's a serious song, painting an image of what it's like when it could be your last day. Money doesn't matter, you can go mad, or be sad, cold, sick, or sorry if you are down in the hole.

Date: October 21, 2021 08:35

ryanpow
DandelionPowderman

When I listen to SG on vinyl it has a nice warm sound. ER is more slick by comparison.

Warm sound? I love SG, but it's much too trebly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-21 11:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 21, 2021 11:16

Down in the Hole, Indian Girl, She's So Cold and Emotional Rescue are the highlights of ER. All About You is pretty good too.
The problem with ER is the silly rockers Summer Romance and Where The Boys Go.
Also not very great are Dance and Send It To Me.
Let Me Go is alright as filler.

Date: October 21, 2021 11:33

I love all those "silly" rockers!

I heard Let Me Go on Still Life before the ER-version, so it took me a long time to warm to the slower album version. But I'm getting there.

What exactly is wrong with Dance? Is it funk that you don't like, or that song in particular. The playing and the sounds are excellent.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 21, 2021 11:43

DandelionPowderman

I heard Let Me Go on Still Life before the ER-version, so it took me a long time to warm to the slower album version. But I'm getting there.

What exactly is wrong with Dance? Is it funk that you don't like, or that song in particular. The playing and the sounds are excellent.

thumbs up

For some folks every Stones song has to be a deep and broody work of genius.

But if you don't enjoy the fun and good time stuff too, you're missing an awful lot of what this band has always had to offer.

[Edited for dyslexic fingers]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 21, 2021 12:00

While the Rolling Stones have never played it live our own IORR Band have played a truly amazing version - back at the Alley Cat Club in Denmark Street back in 2016.
Here it is - featuring Dandelion Powderman, 71Tele, Duke Richardson, Erwin H and Wild Slivowitz.

Hoping we get to see them again in London next year for the 60th anniversary gigs. They're the best Stones tribute band going.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: October 21, 2021 12:12

Witness
To me EMOTIONAL RESCUE is even better than SOME GIRLS, both among their approximately twelve great albums, preferably otherwise without internal ranking.

It is the songs outside the very best though that make EMOTIONAL RESCUE even better than SOME GIRLS, whereas I abstain from ranking between those two albums' very best three songs. There, however, "Down in the Hole", not only a blues song, but a personally felt blues song, is itself among its album's very best three songs (as are "She's So Cold" and "All About You"; "Indian Girl almost there as well).

Strong agree with this. ER is my go-to Stones album and has been for about 15 years. Easily a stronger album for me than Some Girls which I rarely play.

Emotional Rescue
Black and Blue
Beggars Banquet

By far my most played Stones albums.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 21, 2021 12:29

WorriedAboutYou
Witness
To me EMOTIONAL RESCUE is even better than SOME GIRLS, both among their approximately twelve great albums, preferably otherwise without internal ranking.

It is the songs outside the very best though that make EMOTIONAL RESCUE even better than SOME GIRLS, whereas I abstain from ranking between those two albums' very best three songs. There, however, "Down in the Hole", not only a blues song, but a personally felt blues song, is itself among its album's very best three songs (as are "She's So Cold" and "All About You"; "Indian Girl almost there as well).

Strong agree with this. ER is my go-to Stones album and has been for about 15 years. Easily a stronger album for me than Some Girls which I rarely play.

Emotional Rescue
Black and Blue
Beggars Banquet

By far my most played Stones albums.

Those three are my most listened to as well Mr WAYsmileys with beer Although Exile is my 2nd favourite album after ER, then BB and B & B. It probably got summat to do with the production, those 3 are very "listenable".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2021 12:50

...an dont forget Parachute Woman
Man that one blew the back outta things
One of the forgotten gems from Beggars .... Land on me tanight ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: October 21, 2021 12:50

MadMax

Those three are my most listened to as well Mr WAYsmileys with beer Although Exile is my 2nd favourite album after ER, then BB and B & B. It probably got summat to do with the production, those 3 are very "listenable".

I think you're right, the production is definitely what edges me to ER over Girls, it's just a better listening experience, same with Black and Blue.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2021 12:58

But what can a poor boy do
'cept ta sing for a derelict blues band ................

ROCKMAN

Date: October 21, 2021 14:03

WorriedAboutYou
MadMax

I think you're right, the production is definitely what edges me to ER over Girls, it's just a better listening experience, same with Black and Blue.

Those two albums both have excellent sound. BAB sounds amazing.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 21, 2021 15:41

It's sonically great - but it's a rich man's blues - created by a rich man and the words are clever but is Jagger really feeling blue himself or on behalf of anyone else? Hence the justified parody references.

Playing with words and with his voice ( Americanization).

Far more genuine Stones' blues for me are Wish I'd Never Met You and Fancy man Blues. They feel as if they were naturally jammed into existence by the band.

Down on the hole feels like a cerebral creation, then given life by the band. Depends a lot on production for its 'effect' - whereas the other two mentioned just have a natural life of their own without need of production effects.

Date: October 21, 2021 15:43

Four Stone Walls
It's sonically great - but it's a rich man's blues - created by a rich man and the words are clever but is Jagger really feeling blue himself or on behalf of anyone else? Hence the justified parody references.

Playing with words and with his voice ( Americanization).

Far more genuine Stones' blues for me are Wish I'd Never Met You and Fancy man Blues. They feel as if they were naturally jammed into existence by the band.

Down on the hole feels like a cerebral creation, then given life by the band. Depends a lot on production for its 'effect' - whereas the other two mentioned just have a natural life of their own without need of production effects.

I think the exciting thing about Down In The Hole is that it has an untraditional chord sequence, three weaving instruments (the two guitars and the harp) and Mick's vocal delivery, which suits the atmosphere (the song's strongest feature, imo) brilliantly.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 21, 2021 16:00

I'm just saying ... that ER is the album I listen to the most from the Rolling Stones, I love it!
I like IG a lot, but yes ... the highlight is Down In The Hole which for me is the most beautiful blues of the Stones.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: October 21, 2021 16:04

24FPS
stonesstein
Never liked this song. Though not as bad as Indian Girl (*wretch*), it is definitely not up to Stones-par, IMHO. perhaps it best epitomizes how and why Emotional Rescue is recognized a being among the quirkiest of Stones' original LPs

Quirkier than Satanic Majesties? I just listened to that thing in surround sound. It's of its time, and parts of it are ahead of its time. I'm starting to hear more.

Emotional Rescue has duds like Let Me Go, Summer Romance, Sent It To Me, and Down in the Hole. It raises its grade to a B with the title track, Dance, Indian Girl, and the wonderful She's So Cold. Not a great album. Not even as good as Black and Blue, but still better than Undercover or Dirty Work.
There's a 5.1 surround sound of Satanic? Where?

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 21, 2021 16:29

DandelionPowderman
Down In The Hole (long version)

Thanks ! I did not know this raw version. I like it.
This darker than dark mood really need a emotional rescue spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Is that Sugar Blue on harmonica ?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 21, 2021 17:21

Listening to the IORR Band version of Down In The Hole I hear echoes of Bob Dylan in the way the vocals are done. Cool version of DITH. Regarding the comment that this song is about war and its aftermath, interesting. I can hear this song in some spy/espionage movie taking place in the divided zones/countries of Europe after World War II. A shady low lit nightclub, filled with smoke, a Marlene Dietrich type actress if not her (if the movie was made in the late 1940s) as the female lead meeting the secret agent/contact there, their eyes searching the smoky darkness for who may be watching their rendezvous, nylons being proffered for her information.... Wild scenario, but you never know what thoughts/ideas a Stones song can place in your mind.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 21, 2021 19:19

Quirkier than Satanic Majesties? I just listened to that thing in surround sound. It's of its time, and parts of it are ahead of its time. I'm starting to hear more.

Emotional Rescue has duds like Let Me Go, Summer Romance, Sent It To Me, and Down in the Hole. It raises its grade to a B with the title track, Dance, Indian Girl, and the wonderful She's So Cold. Not a great album. Not even as good as Black and Blue, but still better than Undercover or Dirty Work.[/quote]
There's a 5.1 surround sound of Satanic? Where?[/quote]

Well, not officially. I have a surround sound system and those ABKCO remasters from 2002 are as close as possible to official 5.1. Keith said at the time of the remasters that he was hearing things he'd forgotten about. Per Satanic Majesties, you can hear a lot of little instruments and drums more distinctly. I've heard Goats Head Soup in Dolby Atmos and it sounds like a whole new album. It takes these bonus anniversary box sets to get a Dolby Atmos CD. The All Things Must Pass 50th, Electric Ladyland, Abbey Road, and the upcoming Tattoo You. Which is strange. Have the Stones ever released a record/album/CD on a Saturday, like they are for this new release?

I would love to hear a remastered for Dolby Atmos version of Satanic Majesties, but I seriously doubt we'll ever get a deluxe version.

Date: October 21, 2021 19:22

The album is out tomorrow - Friday.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 22, 2021 00:04

good one - Sugar Blue on harp there.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 22, 2021 04:50

24FPS
stonesstein
Never liked this song. Though not as bad as Indian Girl (*wretch*), it is definitely not up to Stones-par, IMHO. perhaps it best epitomizes how and why Emotional Rescue is recognized a being among the quirkiest of Stones' original LPs

I didn't say quirkiest, 24FPS, but "among the quirkiest". Nothing the band ever did was quirkier than TSMR. The Emotional Rescue LP is a patchwork, piecemeal, hit & miss, and contains some tracks that are hidden gems. AMONG the quirkiest, not THE quirkiest.

I really dig Dance, Summer Romance, Where the Boys All Go, and She's So Cold as good Stones' cuts, but Indian Girl is such an embarrassment.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 22, 2021 08:48

DandelionPowderman

I don't mind the silly rockers, I don't skip them, but from the Stones you'd expect the rockers to stand out, as they used to do. SR and WTBG don't have anything particularly great about them.

I like Let Me Go a bit better, but you're right that the Still Life version has more power. The ER version is more "new wave-ey".

I am not a great fan of funk, but I don't mind Dance. It's kind of funny but nothing great. But yes, I am not a great fan of Fingerprint File or Hot Stuff or Sex Drive either, so probably funk is not my thing. I like their disco efforts better, like Miss You or ER. Although I am not always sure I can distinguish disco from funk, to be honest. I'd say that funk is more oriented to one single lick over and over again, which tends to get a bit repetetive.

I agree that the playing and the sounds overall on the ER album are great though, and I rather enjoy the album despite the weaker parts. But after Some Girls, it's a bit of a disappointment. Speaking of silly rockers, Lies, from Some Girls, falls into that category too, in my point of view.

Date: October 22, 2021 10:09

Fair enough thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home