Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Down In The Hole
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 19, 2021 01:16

This just popped up in my ongoing mix. I know there's probably a thread re this song and I'm too lazy to look for it. Have the Stones put out a heavier/sleazier sounding blues than this one in the past 300 years. What a f'ing great song, still.

Re: Down In The Hole
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 19, 2021 01:43

Thought it just didn't work. It helped add to the less than stellar reputation of the Emotional Rescue album. Kind of like Goats Head Soup following Exile, ER followed the immensely popular, and last great Stones album of new songs, Some Girls. Then again, I love Indian Girl, and some people lose their lunch over it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 19, 2021 02:30

Original Stones blues...better than any of the covers on Blue and Lonesome.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 19, 2021 03:04

Great tune...DOWN IN THE GUTTER! BEGGING for Cigarettes, BEGGING for Nylons, in the American ZONE!

They should retitle "the Pit", "Down in the Hole" for all Stones shows.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 19, 2021 03:06

Dirty droning bluz number ......
up there in the filth section with Hoo Doo .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 19, 2021 05:48

Never liked this song. Though not as bad as Indian Girl (*wretch*), it is definitely not up to Stones-par, IMHO. perhaps it best epitomizes how and why Emotional Rescue is recognized a being among the quirkiest of Stones' original LPs

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 19, 2021 08:11

To me EMOTIONAL RESCUE is even better than SOME GIRLS, both among their approximately twelve great albums, preferably otherwise without internal ranking.

It is the songs outside the very best though that make EMOTIONAL RESCUE even better than SOME GIRLS, whereas I abstain from ranking between those two albums' very best three songs. There, however, "Down in the Hole", not only a blues song, but a personally felt blues song, is itself among its album's very best three songs (as are "She's So Cold" and "All About You"; "Indian Girl almost there as well).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 19, 2021 08:18

stonesstein
Never liked this song. Though not as bad as Indian Girl (*wretch*), it is definitely not up to Stones-par, IMHO. perhaps it best epitomizes how and why Emotional Rescue is recognized a being among the quirkiest of Stones' original LPs

Quirkier than Satanic Majesties? I just listened to that thing in surround sound. It's of its time, and parts of it are ahead of its time. I'm starting to hear more.

Emotional Rescue has duds like Let Me Go, Summer Romance, Sent It To Me, and Down in the Hole. It raises its grade to a B with the title track, Dance, Indian Girl, and the wonderful She's So Cold. Not a great album. Not even as good as Black and Blue, but still better than Undercover or Dirty Work.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 19, 2021 10:33

24FPS
stonesstein

Quirkier than Satanic Majesties? I just listened to that thing in surround sound. It's of its time, and parts of it are ahead of its time. I'm starting to hear more.

Emotional Rescue has duds like Let Me Go, Summer Romance, Sent It To Me, and Down in the Hole. It raises its grade to a B with the title track, Dance, Indian Girl, and the wonderful She's So Cold. Not a great album. Not even as good as Black and Blue, but still better than Undercover or Dirty Work.

All up to personal taste - but I think ER is way better than Undercover or DW. And Down In The Hole - love it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 19, 2021 10:47

Rockman
Dirty droning bluz number ......
up there in the filth section with Hoo Doo .....

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 19, 2021 10:59

be careful of those who dont like it ...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 19, 2021 11:03

Perfection! Here is the Track Talk: [iorr.org]

Posted by: exil ()
Date: October 19, 2021 11:13

Ive always loved it.Hard core.nice harp.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: October 19, 2021 13:56

Excellent song !
for me, it is kind of "unexpected" track on album such as Emotional Rescue....
you know what i mean ?
imho,it doesn't fit in, among other songs.
They have a feeling and imho they sound...like, let say "sound of 80's...." i don't know, i'm not an expert...but that's how i feel...
and out of nowhere, bang !
Down In The Hole....
"Will all your money buy you forgiveness...."

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 19, 2021 14:40

Top 4 on my favourite album: Indian Girl, Down In The Hole, She's So Cold and All About You,

Oh Let Me Go as well. I love that Bobby Keys comes in 30 seconds before the end. The whole album is Stones sleaze perfection. I agree with Rocky, Hoodoo Blues and Down In The Hole are two red hot studio blues trax...

PLUS it is by far the best produced album in their cannon along with B & B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-20 14:09 by MadMax.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 19, 2021 14:57

It’s a ripper

Rod

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 19, 2021 16:03

MadMax
... I agree with Rocky, Hoodoo Blues and Down In The Hole are two red hot studio blues trax...

Agree, and 2 others off the top of my head that aren't far behind:
Might As Well Get Juiced, Break the Spell.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 19, 2021 16:23

There's a long version (something like 10 minutes?) floating around... They should release a deluxe album of ER, that would be the real deal IMO... a lot of cool things were recorded during these sessions.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: October 19, 2021 18:32

dig it.. and where boys go.. and send it to me.. and let me go (the live versions from '81 are fun).. and all the rest

such a strange album but also exactly the Stones

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 19, 2021 18:36

So, this song is about a very bad pit experience?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 19, 2021 20:37

24FPS
Thought it just didn't work. It helped add to the less than stellar reputation of the Emotional Rescue album. Kind of like Goats Head Soup following Exile, ER followed the immensely popular, and last great Stones album of new songs, Some Girls. Then again, I love Indian Girl, and some people lose their lunch over it.

Agree 100%

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 19, 2021 22:14

ER is a cool album, but most of it sounds affected to me, the songs sound slightly like a parody or novelty song. Down in the Hole is like that. It's not bad, just not among their very best stuff. All About You is the one song on ER that doesn't have that parody quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-19 22:19 by ryanpow.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: October 20, 2021 03:24

Agreed with 1st post great F'ing song on a great F'ing album.... that cassette was lodged in my car deck until tattoo you came out !!

Date: October 20, 2021 07:13

ryanpow
ER is a cool album, but most of it sounds affected to me, the songs sound slightly like a parody or novelty song. Down in the Hole is like that. It's not bad, just not among their very best stuff. All About You is the one song on ER that doesn't have that parody quality.

never thought of it that way but now that you mention it, Where The Boys Go, Send it to Me, Summer Romance, Indian Girl, Emotional Rescue, even She's So Cold.

But I'd say I see less of that with Down in the Hole.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 20, 2021 09:26

Hairball

thumbs up

Date: October 20, 2021 13:15

Down In The Hole (long version)

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 20, 2021 16:50

treaclefingers
ryanpow

never thought of it that way but now that you mention it, Where The Boys Go, Send it to Me, Summer Romance, Indian Girl, Emotional Rescue, even She's So Cold.

Jeeeez How did I forget that one?? I think it's the best track on ER. She's so cold doesn't sound like a parody to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-20 16:51 by ryanpow.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 20, 2021 17:14

Hairball
Yup, 100% . Damn shame the Glimmers have never seen the need to make a proper presentation and feature this in there live show setlist . This is really a killer blues tune and also worth mentioning is Fancy Man Blues which is also killer . Sugar Blue blows some awesome harp that is great !!!!!! on Down in the Hole .Fancy Man Blues is another gem from Rarities 1971-2003 . When the Stones want to get down and funky with some blues from the annals of the Blues they are up there with the best of the blues . Some could say an overlooked part of there genius and that's a damn shame as to when the Stones get down they are the best ! Then you wan't to get even more funky throw Eric Clapton in there like on Atlantic City PPV with Little Red Rooster , or off of Blue and Lonesome- I Can't Quit You Baby featuring Eric Clapton tearing it up . These Blues tracks are the top of the summit for me as they are dripping and seeping from the blues !

Date: October 20, 2021 17:35

ryanpow
treaclefingers
ryanpow

Jeeeez How did I forget that one?? I think it's the best track on ER. She's so cold doesn't sound like a parody to me.

Agreed, best song on the album. But for me anyway, not a duff track on there. A solid 4 stars.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 20, 2021 17:52

Album is a keeper - or even a latebloomer.
I listen to it quite often now.

Some good stuff. Only song I always skip is Indian Girls.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1320
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home