Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: An interview with Nancy Sinatra
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 18, 2021 18:32

Short conversation with Ms. Sinatra. Must admit, some of her recordings are guilty pleasures. Her work with the late Lee Hazelwood brought forth some good things. Beside her tunes, I remember her from "The Wild Angels" movie starring Peter Fonda where she played his girlfriend. She inspired many a fantasy for baby boomer guys.

[clashmusic.com]

Re: OT: An interview with Nancy Sinatra
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 18, 2021 21:20

Nancy was recently interviewed by Ben Mankiewicz on TCM when they screened her 1967 NBC TV special "Movin' With Nancy" (complete with original ads for sponsor RC Cola!). The visuals on that are dazzling. It summarizes the mainstream-mod late-60's bright and colorful style. A real time capsule.

[www.youtube.com]

For some reason, the above video excludes the two clips with Dean Martin, that were included in TCM's screening.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

When I was a kid, this Lee & Nancy duet got a ton of airplay on AM radio
[www.youtube.com]

As did "Something Stupid" her hit she recorded with her dad. I read years ago the DJ's back then privately joked that this love duet that was written for a couple--and not a father and daughter--should have been called "the incest song"

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 18, 2021 22:59

loog droog (and all else): Summer Wine is a cool song. It's in my ongoing music mix. Jackson is another goodie between Nancy and Lee along with Johnny Cash and June Carter's version. Things is a great song, especially Bobby Darin's version. As for Dino, a number of his songs are part of my ongoing listening experience. His "Dean Martin Sings Italian" album is pretty cool. I first heard it in an Italian deli back in Baltimore and sat in the store listening to the whole album. Thankfully, the deli owner and I were friends and he let me enjoy the listen. On another tangent, the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis when they were together movies, though dated and probably too corny for today's audience, are fun watches. My daughter, a millennial, loves them and watched them often enough to recite dialog from them and sing along with Dean when he broke out in song during the movie. Going back to Nancy Sinatra, yes, I remember "Something Stupid", her duet with her dad, being labeled the incest song. But, than I remember how "Satisfaction" was inferred to have suggestive lyrics during its ending verse right up there with "Louie Louie".

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 18, 2021 23:59

I saw Nancy do a show at the Limelight nightclub in New York in 1995, and sure enough, there was a surprise appearance by Lee Hazelwood. He was wearing leather chaps, and cut a figure that, even for New York, was just so campy in a really over-the-top sort of way. They sang a duet of "Velvet Morning" and when Lee, singing in the deepest bass voice I'd ever heard in my life, intoned "Some velvet morning when I'm straight, I'm gonna open up your gate," I just couldn't help myself. I yelled out, "Yes, Sir!" Everyone cracked up. Even Nancy cracked up. In fact she had to turn her back to the audience so you couldn't see how hard she was laughing. Lee wasn't laughing. The second time that line came around, he just glared at me, as if daring me to do it again. I kept my mouth shut that time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-19 00:05 by tatters.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 19, 2021 00:15

funny story, tatters

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 19, 2021 01:49

'Some Velvet Morning when I'm straight....' What a great line, and song.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 19, 2021 03:54

My favorite Nancy Sinatra song is How Are Things In California?
It was a hit in early ‘71, in Winter time, I think.
Back in the day, I liked the shade in this song, which is kind of fitting with the melancholy accompanied by the feeling, “the 60’s are over”.
But then again, California Dreamin’, the quintessential 60’s song (that Nancy also covered), was not about “the sun, the sand and the sea”...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 19, 2021 14:30

-Hmm, she sure outdoes a lot of the music of the last decades. It`s tuneful and perhaps challenging to some ears. I`ve seen it called "Baroque Pop". I discovered her in the 90s, and bought all her 60s records. "How Are Things In California?" -Haven`t heard it before. It falls a little flat compared to her 60s stuff, only leaning to it. The bland 70s seems to have set in. Some Velvet Morning? -Be sure not to play that song to "sensitive" hearts. The music mag Mojo did a "bio" on her some months ago, but wasn`t able to talk properly about her and Lee`s MUSIC.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-19 14:36 by noughties.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 19, 2021 16:04

One of my favorite songs: BANG BANG (MY BABY SHOT ME DOWN)

Date: October 19, 2021 16:53

noughties
"How Are Things In California?" -Haven`t heard it before. It falls a little flat compared to her 60s stuff, only leaning to it. The bland 70s seems to have set in.

For me, part of the charm of the song is that it feels like an eulogy to the 60’s, which, of course, is not the creator’s intention. That’s how I felt from it back then. When the song entered the chart, she already carried an image of a ‘yesterday’s girl’ around her.

runaway

That is originally a Cher song isn’t it? I like the highly charged Terry Reid version.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 19, 2021 18:13

"You Only Live Twice" is probably my favorite James Bond film song.

[www.youtube.com]

On her TCM interview, Nancy said she really didn't feel up to the task, mentioning that at the session that the producers should use Shirley Bassey instead.

But I think she did just fine.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 19, 2021 20:27

loog droog

[www.youtube.com]

On her TCM interview, Nancy said she really didn't feel up to the task, mentioning that at the session that the producers should use Shirley Bassey instead.

I think it's the best thing she ever did, in addition to being the greatest of all the Bond theme songs. The soundtrack version you posted is the definitive one, but there's also the 45 rpm single version, which has the orchestration lower in the mix, while adding some fuzz-toned guitar and a heavier drum track.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-19 20:28 by tatters.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 19, 2021 21:16

RisingStone
noughties
"How Are Things In California?" -Haven`t heard it before. It falls a little flat compared to her 60s stuff, only leaning to it. The bland 70s seems to have set in.

For me, part of the charm of the song is that it feels like an eulogy to the 60’s, which, of course, is not the creator’s intention. That’s how I felt from it back then. When the song entered the chart, she already carried an image of a ‘yesterday’s girl’ around her.

runaway

That is originally a Cher song isn’t it? I like the highly charged Terry Reid version.

Yes it's a Cher song written by Sonny Bono, but from all the covers, there're lot's of them, Nancy stands out for me the way she sings it

Date: October 19, 2021 21:53

tatters
loog droog

[www.youtube.com]

I think it's the best thing she ever did, in addition to being the greatest of all the Bond theme songs. The soundtrack version you posted is the definitive one, but there's also the 45 rpm single version, which has the orchestration lower in the mix, while adding some fuzz-toned guitar and a heavier drum track.

[www.youtube.com]

Oh I love that one, too. One of the best Bond film title themes although I feel it is somewhat overshadowed by the iconic songs done by Mat Monro and Shirley Bassey that preceded it.

On a sidetrack, the flick itself is full of way over-stereotyped descriptions of Japan and its culture, a typical example of modern orientalism seen through the eyes of the Westerners back in the day (it was, after all, a production made over 50 years ago). Japanese moviegoers would cringe or give a wry smile in the cinemas. Perhaps it would be tagged as ‘cultural appropriation’ today. Well-informed IORRians can understand or imagine, I suppose.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 19, 2021 21:57

Saw her on the TMC show being interviewed and watched "Movin' With Nancy".

She was second only to Ann-Margret on the sexy meter when I was a kid.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 20, 2021 03:46

dmay
Short conversation with Ms. Sinatra. Must admit, some of her recordings are guilty pleasures. Her work with the late Lee Hazelwood brought forth some good things. Beside her tunes, I remember her from "The Wild Angels" movie starring Peter Fonda where she played his girlfriend. She inspired many a fantasy for baby boomer guys.

[clashmusic.com]

The stuff with Lee Hazelwood is great. Nancy and Lee is a great spin at a certain point on a certain night. smoking smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 20, 2021 12:55

The downgraded 1972 album "Nancy & Lee Again" is great too, and less mainstream, right up there with her 60s stuff.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2021 04:03

SHINDIG! No122 ------ February 2021

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home