Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Los Angeles #1 show live updates - Thursday 14-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 15, 2021 22:26

triceratops
The old and seasoned Stones' fans head out for a beer or to take a piss during "Miss You". The Keith beer/piss break is gone, now that he is playing "Connection".

Says a lot about the average age of a Stones fan if they don't have bladder control for 19 songs.

Re: Los Angeles #1 show live updates - Thursday 14-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2021 22:28

bye bye johnny

[twitter.com]

Couldn't resist...went to merch stand, asked if they were numbered, and the gal said yes and showed me #150 of 500...sold!
Was still close enough to my car to stash it there safely - a nice souvenir with the iconic LAX Theme Building and Stones tongue, along with the out of control plane.

Los Angeles #1 - Thursday 14-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 15, 2021 23:22

The Rolling Stones celebrate the late Charlie Watts at first SoFi Stadium concert

By PETER LARSEN | Orange County Register
October 15, 2021

Photo by Will Lester, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin/SCNG

The Rolling Stones returned to Southern California at SoFi Stadium on Thursday, and for a few hours, everything was almost as perfect as you could hope it to be.

Singer Mick Jagger danced across the stage and out the long catwalk into the crowd. Guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood tore through the classic riffs that power the legendary band’s deep catalog of hits.

But Charlie Watts is gone now and with the death of the drummer and cofounder of the band in August, came a mix of emotions: sorrow that the quiet presence behind the drum kit is not back there smiling as he kept the beat; and joy that the music plays on.

The show opened with a video tribute to Watts, a montage of images of the drummer through the six decades the Rolling Stones have rocked together. As he hit one last cymbal, the frame froze and out walked Jagger, Richards and Wood, kicking off the show with “Let’s Spend The Night Together.”

“It was great to see those images of Charlie up there on screen right now,” Jagger told the crowd at the finish of the next song, “19th Nervous Breakdown.” “It reminds us of all those years we had together. We’d like to dedicate this show to him, so here’s to Charlie!”

The crowd roared, and things felt a little better for having spent a few moments remembering Watts.

From there, the celebration of this band and the music they’ve made unfolded like many a Stones show before.

Jagger, in particular, seemed in fine form on Thursday in Inglewood. He’s always a non-stop dynamo on stage. Two years ago at the Rose Bowl, his energy just months after heart surgery was astonishing. Here the 78-year-old singer seemed stronger, younger still.

Highlights early in the show included “Get Off of My Cloud,” with the stadium singing the words of the chorus back at Jagger, and “Tumbling Dice,” which featured Wood on one of many electric solos of the night.

“Living In a Ghost Town,” the band’s 2020 pandemic-referencing single, and only new original material since 2012, got its first live performance in California. Despite its unfamiliarity to many at SoFi, it’s vintage blues-and-reggae feel went down smoothly, though the crowd really came alive for “Start Me Up,” which followed.

It’s striking how many of these songs you recognize from the opening notes. French horn? “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.” Cowbell? “Honky Tonk Woman. Sitar? “Paint It Black.”

But the set also included a few less-often-played numbers. “Ruby Tuesday,” despite being one of the band’s bigger hits, hadn’t been performed in concert in five years, and showed up Thursday thanks to the fan vote that always selects one song for the set.

And Richards, during his customary mid-show mini-set to sing lead vocals, reached all the way back to 1967’s “Between The Buttons” album for the rarely performed “Connection.” Its lyrics — “All I want to do is get back to you” — suggested he’d picked it to celebrate the return to the road post-pandemic. His comments between songs made that even clearer.

“It is great to be part of the fun again,” Richards said in his bemused raspy mumble. “Let’s hope it all works out, baby.”

The back half of the set delivered more hits. Jagger unleashed his sexiest sexy walk for “Miss You,” a huge hit with the fans, while bassist Daryl Jones shined as the song extended into a lengthy workout at the finish.

Jones, like many of the touring musicians in the band, has worked with the Stones for decades, in his case, joining them in 1993 when founding bassist Bill Wyman retired. Drummer Steve Jordan, who replaced Watts for the current No Filter Tour, has been a friend of the band since he played on their 1986 album “Dirty Work,” and subsequently joined Richards’ side project the X-Pensive Winos.

“Midnight Rambler” saw Richards and Wood grinning at each other while trading greasy blues licks as Jagger played harmonica, and as the song stretched out to maybe 10 minutes, worked a few lyrics from Robert Johnson’s blues classic “Come On In My Kitchen” into it, too.

.After “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” closed out the main set, the Stones opened their encore with “Gimme Shelter,” which featured the usual vocal duet, or duel, between Jagger and background singer Sasha Allen, circling each other in the spotlight at the end of the catwalk for the “just a shot away” finish.

Then another moment of instant recognition — Richard’s opening riff on “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” — and the night worked its way to the finish, the guitarist joining Jagger on the catwalk for a little back-and-forth sing-and-play and a round of fireworks to end the show.

Earlier, before “Sympathy For The Devil,” Jagger had noted Thursday was the band’s 48th show in Los Angeles. That’s a loose definition of L.A., of course — SoFi is in Inglewood, the debut show he cited was in Santa Monica in 1964 (and their first U.S. show was in that “suburb of Hollywood,” San Bernardino).

But here’s to the 49th show when the Rolling Stones return to SoFi Stadium on Sunday, and a 50th sometime in the future, as these truly classic rockers roll on.

[www.ocregister.com]

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: October 15, 2021 23:54

[youtu.be]

Rocks Off from SoFi

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-15 23:58 by jomo297.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 16, 2021 00:17

Nikkei
If you ask me, that's a pretty interesting first half of a setlist. But I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole thing. It's fortunate that Steve Jordan does so well but... suppose you go to look at a vintage steam locomotive but it's not being fired up and only pushed forward by an electric one. Sure it's cool to look at, the gears move and everything but can you feel it?

True, I can't be the only person who keep going back to old clips with Charlie after seeing footage from recent shows...
There's something artificial about seeing them with a new drummer. Sure some of the songs are played faster now with some new "energy", but I would still prefer to see the real deal all in it's ragged glory.

Date: October 16, 2021 00:36

From Pollstar:

The Rolling Stones Conquer SoFi Stadium—This Could Be the Last Time (I Don’t Know, Oh No...): Review

The Rolling Stones
SoFi Stadium
Inglewood, CA
Oct. 14, 2021

Stones L.A.

The Rolling Stones’ pandemic-postponed No Filter Tour added Thursday night to its originally scheduled, sold-out Sunday evening show at the brand, spanking-new SoFi Stadium, and neither high ticket prices or COVID protocols could stop the indefatigable, 78-year-old Mick Jagger from traversing the eight-to-10 miles a night he spends cajoling and teasing the crowd. If alien robot intelligence 100 years from now wanted to see the Platonic idea of a rock ‘n’ concert circa 2021, they merely had to be transported back to the very futuristic spaceship-looking SoFi, a 70,000-capacity football stadium that plays like, say, its next-door neighbor The Forum on steroids.

Yes, this latest version of the Rolling Stones is minus the late Charlie “He’s Good Tonight” Watts, but frequent collaborator Steve Jordan takes his place in the pocket and seems to be having the time of his life doing so. All told, this well-oiled machine – which takes the stage at 8:45 p.m. and leaves on the nose at 11 (no overtime charges on business major Mick Jagger’s watch) – may be the best version of the Stones ever, and the streamlined 19-song set matches the utilitarian stage, dwarfed by four floor-to-ceiling video panels which serve as welcome binoculars for all but the first floor sections.

Tim Norris / SoFi Stadium

After a brief, drum-beat-accompanied video tribute to Watts, the band is off and running, on this night leading with the apropos “Let’s Spend the Night Together,” which they memorably had to change to “Let’s Spend Some Time Together” on the “Ed Sullivan Show.” Jagger remarked this was the 48th time the Stones had played Los Angeles, going back to 1964 at Santa Monica Civic for the TAMI Show, and they made themselves right at home. Ever the savvy host, Mick asked for fans of the Rams and Chargers, then stated on this one night “we can all be friends.”

With the Stones taking some Critical Race Theory jousts from a Medium post penned by an African-American professor calling them cultural appropriators for everything from stealing James Brown’s dance moves to listing Merry Clayton by only “Mary” on the credits for the original “Gimme Shelter,” there was a moment of apprehension whether Jagger could still get away with singing “Under My Thumb” in this post-#MeToo era, even as the even more problematic “Brown Sugar” has been jettisoned from the set list.

Still, the apparently Stones-sanctioned, crowd-sourced YouTube videos that have flooded the Internet offered just enough inducement to check out the real thing, and it was no disappointment. A gloriously shambolic “19th Nervous Breakdown” led to a welcome “Rocks Off” (“I only get my rocks off when I’m dreaming”), a raucous “Get Off My Cloud” and a “Tumblin Dice” that put Ronnie Wood’s gnarled fretwork front and center – it was a joy to watch him and Keith in private musical conversation, trying to figure out where one riff begins and the other ends, such is their entanglement.

The set varies only slightly night to night, mainly in the “fan’s choice” segment, where voting takes place between four numbers, with my particular choice, the plaintive, courtly “Ruby Tuesday,” providing the ‘60s Elizabethan touch to the proceedings. A dynamic “Can’t Always Get What You Want” follows, Mick prancing with acoustic guitar, Ronnie Wood’s glittery, silver high-top sneakers setting off his impish glee at ripping off another guttural punkish solo.

The set’s most recent track, 2019’s “Living in a Ghost Town,” a dub-heavy reflection on the pandemic featuring a bluesy Jagger harp solo and one of the evening’s several call-and-responses, shows the Stones aren’t done yet as a recording outfit, but it’s “Start Me Up,” a seeming throwaway that has achieved live anthem status, has Mick wailing, “I never stop, never stop, never stop,” the Energizer Bunny belying every one of his septuagenarian years.

Ever-playful, Jagger teases the Hollywood crowd includes Megan Fox, Kirk Douglas, Leonardo DiCaprio and, to much booing, Governor Gavin Newsom, slyly referencing his “French Launderette” scandal. A mention Paul McCartney might be joining them sends a momentary thrill to the crowd, until we realize it’s just a poke at the ex-Beatle’s recent critique that the Stones “are just a blues cover band.”

Of course, they are so much more than that, as longtime musical director Chuck Leavell, who as a keyboardist been with the band since 1982, shows off his underrated status on a rousing “Honky Tonk Woman,” which leads into Jagger introducing the rest of the group – backup singers Bernard Fowler and the incredible Sasha Allen (who replaced Lisa Fischer in 2016), longtime bassist Daryl Jones, Jordan, Karl Denson and Tim Ries on saxophones and Matt Clifford on assorted keyboards, percussion, French Horn (“You Can’t Always Get What You Want”).

After his intro, Keith Richards takes the stage with his traditional, “It’s good to be here... it’s good to be anywhere” greeting, then launched into a caterwauling “Connection” (about the band’s penchant for drug busts in their early years) and “Slippin’ Away,” the last song on 1989’s Steel Wheels album. Keith’s off-key warbling is forgotten and one makes allowances for the heart and soul he brings to whatever he touches. With flappy, Prince Charles-like ears sticking out from his knit cap, Richards is the living, breathing pulse that makes the whole thing bigger than the sum of its parts. “All I want to do is get back to you,” croaks Keith, exulting in “being back on the road again... It’s what I do.” And long may he do it.

From there, it’s into the home stretch, a feverish rush to the finish line that starts with a funky “Miss You,” which includes Mick’s falsetto, a pair of sax solos and Daryl Jones walking the bass for five, bottom-heavy blissful minutes. The tour’s centerpiece, a Shakespearean “Midnight Rambler,” takes McCartney’s “blues” dig and raised the stakes considerably, Jagger and Richards emerging on the stage protruding into the audience to do their own version of “to be or not to be... it’s no question, it’s an affirmation of life itself

The momentum is slowed just for a second with a wobbly “Paint It Black,” which really should have been in the first part of the show, which looked back at the ‘60s, but it’s not enough to derail this locomotive, with “Sympathy for the Devil” – Keith and Ronnie interlocking like pieces of a puzzle – and a closing “Jumping Jack Flash” that begs for the show-stopping, fireworks-exploding encore of “Gimme Shelter” (Jagger and Alisa Scott tore the translucent roof off SoFi) and a cathartic “Satisfaction” which completely explodes the “I Can’t Get No” prefix of its title.

By the time Ronnie and Keith have donned their matching chartreuse/purple jackets to join Jagger onstage for an emotional farewell, it was easy to imagine it could be the final time we see this band perform. It was a bittersweet moment, but one that resonated with a combination of boomer nostalgia and fear for the future. The Stones managed to turn our dread into a celebration. They may just be a blues band, but they’re our blues band. In the end, everybody must get Stoned.

Date: October 16, 2021 01:17

Thanks, Hairball.

Credit to Roy Trakin for the review.

Date: October 16, 2021 01:21

Ah yeah of course should have added it to post - link was provided to source where Roy Trakin is credited at top of review. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-16 01:22 by Hairball.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 16, 2021 02:09

Rockman
Kurt Douglas ...

Ya, there is a picture buried here that sez: "Reserved for Kurt Douglas"

Date: October 16, 2021 02:56

Thanks for a special night LA! See you again Sunday

Photo: Getty Images

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2021 03:17

Who designed Mick's jacket .... ?????

ROCKMAN

Date: October 16, 2021 04:17

Messing around and experimenting with a brand new phone - a few pics from a different perspective...

In the beginning...

Security at the end of the catwalk - friendlier than he looks...ha...

Looking back, it's a long way to the top...

At the rail on other side of Pit 2 right before blastoff- nice usher let me stay for a bit, then a big security dude cleared everyone out- had to retreat back to row 19.

Keith and Mick at end of catwalk- maybe not that great of a pic, but a great moment - view from row 27.

Gimme Shelter

GS 2

See you...

And in the end...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-16 05:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: rustytrinket86 ()
Date: October 16, 2021 04:25

Dan
triceratops
Rolling Stones arrive in Burbank airport ahead of SoFi Stadium tour stop
Oct 12, 2021
Mick and Keith speak to a local Fox 11 reporter on the airport tarmac for a minute or two. A mini-press conference of sorts. Mick's in his peach colored retro- seer sucker suit. Check out Mick's sartorial splendor, Charlie would have been delighted to see.

[www.youtube.com]

Took a bit of old school media but I believe this did the trick in selling a lot of mid range tickets while the lowers were handed out as Lucky Dips. We got C114 row 15 but someone handed me a PIT wristband so I had my first ever pit experience finally!

Nice! Hope they’re around on Sunday in case my LD’s don’t work out lol.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: October 16, 2021 04:41

C114 doesn’t seem that great for dips….but I think someone said they got floor VIP too.

Date: October 16, 2021 04:58

rustytrinket86
Dan
triceratops
Oct 12, 2021
Mick and Keith speak to a local Fox 11 reporter on the airport tarmac for a minute or two. A mini-press conference of sorts. Mick's in his peach colored retro- seer sucker suit. Check out Mick's sartorial splendor, Charlie would have been delighted to see.

[www.youtube.com]

Took a bit of old school media but I believe this did the trick in selling a lot of mid range tickets while the lowers were handed out as Lucky Dips. We got C114 row 15 but someone handed me a PIT wristband so I had my first ever pit experience finally!

Or...you can manuever your way around a bit...the Lucky Dip wristband got me through several barriers just by showing it to ushers who were unsure what they were...just gotta be confident and aim forward.
Was given side section VIP 112 10 rows up as LD's (not too shabby really), but then took my chances to see how far I could make it after the opening act - plenty of open seats on the floor were beckoning me.
As long as you're polite, friendly, and courteous to everyone you come across including fans, ushers, etc., all is good - worst case scenario is you have to go back...and try the next section over...smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2021 05:48

From Variety:

Rolling Stones Gather a New Drummer, and a Renewed Lust for Live, at L.A.’s SoFi Stadium: Concert Review
Chris William
Oct 15, 2021 5:58pm PT

Stones In L.A.

Keith Richards is the one who, famously, back about 40 years ago, replied to the sobriquet about greatness that had come to be an unofficial nickname for his group and observed: “On any given night, it’s a different band that’s the greatest rock ‘n’ roll band in the world.” This is undoubtedly true, and on Thursday evening, given a God’s-eye-view of all the music being made in the world that night, the honor might have belonged to some bar band playing in Kansas City. Who knows — it might even have been Måneskin. But chances are that it probably was the Rolling Stones… and that it probably will be for all 15 of the nights the Stones are playing on tour this fall, despite the disruption in the divine order that called an original member out less than two months ago.

Fortunately, the Stones are taking about 4-5 nights off between shows to give Foo Fighters, Glass Animals, Radiohead and Which One’s Pink their daily fair shot at being the GOAT (or the GOON… greatest of one night). But as long as they’re on this year, the Stones — average core-member age: 76 — have it to themselves, and not just by virtue of being grandfathered in: These grandfathers are busting their probably Peloton-toned asses.

Thursday, when the group played the first of their two shows at Inglewood’s new SoFi Stadium (they return Sunday), was a good night to be an Angeleno, whether you were a rock ‘n’ roll fan, a baseball fan, or a Stones fan sneaking looks at the score for the most important Dodgers/Giants game in history during the first 45 minutes of the band’s 135-minute set. The cheering was even a little louder than the immediate circumstance dictated during “Start Me Up.” The moment when probably half the stadium got a phone alert that the Dodgers had won the playoff series in a 2-1 victory came just seconds after Mick Jagger sang the immortal line, “You make a dead man come.” If there was some kind of cosmic synergy statement being made there, we’ll leave it to others to figure out.

All this triumph was happening even with key players absent. The Dodgers were without Max Muncy or Clayton Kershaw (and a certain pitching Voldemort not to be mentioned). The Rolling Stones are soldiering on with a lineup change that strikes at the heart much more painfully than a dislocated elbow. Sports teams are meant to be rotational over years and decades, but classic pioneer bands not so much, in the eyes of many fans, at least: You don’t have to walk more than a few yards or wade through more than a few posts to find someone who will tell you that the Stones should have called it quits the moment Charlie Watts became too ill to take part in this tour, let alone when he died Aug. 24. And then there are more practical views, shared by the 50,000 or more fans who didn’t have any compunctions about showing up Thursday. At the opposite extreme, someone on social media said this month that the only two people the Stones really need to keep touring are Mick and Chuck Leavell. (Leavell is not just the Stones’ longtime sideman keyboard player but their musical director on tour.) That was a joke — probably? — but there’s some hardboiled truth about legacy acts in it. And also, to be soft-boiled about it: Who are we to say that musicians who want to make music together shouldn’t?

There’s no hubris like fan hubris, but if you’d been there Thursday night, you would have felt it slippin’ away. (To borrow a Keith Richards-revived song title on the set list.) And part of that had to do with the new guy. It may seem sacrilegious to Charlie to say that there was anything cool about hearing the Stones march to a different drummer for the first time in history — OK, it is a sacrilege — but if you’re really a music buff, you’d be insanely incurious not to wonder what happens when a beloved and insoluble dynamic gets changed up by will or fate. And it’s not negating the tragedy or irreplaceability of the loss of Watts to say that the Stones settling for Steve Jordan is a gas, gas, gas. Maybe you had to be there to get it. (But with nine dates left on the tour, you still could.)

Watts used to be the coolest cat in the room by virtue of the implacability that came hand in hand with his ferocity. (Or underhand grip in underhand grip.) What was he thinking about, as he seemed to nearly be sitting still as he provided as rock-solid a beat as anyone in the history of rock ‘n’ roll? His stocks? Some jazz record he just bought? Maybe even how happy he was to be there — that part didn’t seem impossible, either, despite his nearly stealth stage demeanor? He was the most intriguing member of the Rolling Stones on stage, just from being the least demonstrative. And now that we’re down to three utter showboat core members, his almost bemused-seeming, cryptic calm amid the hurricane is deeply missed, along with the satisfaction of hearing the guy who originally played “Satisfaction” repeat himself, magnificently.

But there’s no doubt about what Jordan is feeling — even with shades on, he wore his enthusiasm for the role on his sleeve Thursday. He looks like he’s pounding harder than Watts did… and that’s probably no optical illusion. By being the blurry-armed, grinning counterpoint to the sleight-of-hand magic trick Watts provided, he’s almost like a stand-in for the audience, as far as palpably conveying just how thrilling it would be to be on stage with the Rolling Stones… if the audience had also put in their 10,000 hours (or probably many times that, in Jordan’s case to get there). Having a key player who runs hot in the space where the former guy used to run cool obviously is not going to make Stones sets any better than they used to be, but just having the feel of the kick drum be that different — however tragically brought about — turns out to be an unexpected kick. Put your guilt aside, Stones fans — it’s OK to be a designated mourner and experience some delight at the same time.

But there’s no doubt about what Jordan is feeling — even with shades on, he wore his enthusiasm for the role on his sleeve Thursday. He looks like he’s pounding harder than Watts did… and that’s probably no optical illusion. By being the blurry-armed, grinning counterpoint to the sleight-of-hand magic trick Watts provided, he’s almost like a stand-in for the audience, as far as palpably conveying just how thrilling it would be to be on stage with the Rolling Stones… if the audience had also put in their 10,000 hours (or probably many times that, in Jordan’s case to get there). Having a key player who runs hot in the space where the former guy used to run cool obviously is not going to make Stones sets any better than they used to be, but just having the feel of the kick drum be that different — however tragically brought about — turns out to be an unexpected kick. Put your guilt aside, Stones fans — it’s OK to be a designated mourner and experience some delight at the same time.

Five official dates into this outing (not counting a friends-and-family show), there are no surprises about how homage will be paid to Watts. The set was immediately preceded by a montage of the drummer’s different looks over the years on the rear- and side-stage screens. Before the playing of the third number, which on this night was “Rocks Off” (a high point), Jagger gave a variation on the short speech he’ll probably do a variation on every night till the tour wraps Nov. 23 in Florida: “It was great to see those images of Charlie up there on the screen just now. It reminds us of all the years that we all spent together. I’m sure lots of you guys have memories of Charlie and seeing him play too, so we want to share that with you. So we’d like to dedicate this show to him. Here’s to Charlie!” If you are expecting Mick to moisten his eyes and tell a tender story, you have not been paying much attention to the Stones for the last five or 10 or 55 years.

Jagger is probably at his most honest when he’s sharing some snark with the audience, as he did when the subject of Paul McCartney very briefly arose. McCartney, as most fans may know, managed to revive the Beatles/Stones rivalry this week — something that’s not easy to do in 2021 — when he was quoted in the New Yorker as saying of the Stones, “I’m not sure I should say it, but they’re a blues cover band, that’s sort of what the Stones are. … I think our net was cast a bit wider than theirs.” Jagger did not expend much time on being as dismissive in return, but he did get a dig in during the segment of the show devoted to some kind of local or topical sarcasm, as has become his custom in recent years. “There’s so many celebrities here tonight,” Jagger said early on. “Megan Fox is here, she’s lovely. Leonardo DiCaprio. Lady Gaga. Kirk Douglas.” (No, he is not still among us.) Then: “Paul McCartney is here; he’s going to help us — he’s going to join us in a blues cover later.” The Stones’ “net,” we can be sure, includes a pinch of comedy.

The Jagger-McCartney volleying is enough to make you feel young-ish again. Certainly it felt like we’d time-traveled to the late 1960s when, on the stairs up and out of SoFi Stadium at the end, there was one drunken fellow trying to lead a chant of: “@#$%& the Beatles! @#$%& the Beatles!” And when that failed to raise anything more than eyebrows, a soused monologue: “Paul McCartney is a @#$%& wussy!” You could hardly do better for an everything-old-is-new-again moment.

Fortunately, there was more than just inter-band beefing to make it feel like not so time has passed. The set list, hardly unexpectedly, was heavy on the ’60s, maybe even a song or two more so than usual, since “Ruby Tuesday” was the supposedly fan-voted wild card of the night (and being reintroduced to the set for the first time since 2016), and “19th Nervous Breakdown” being a semi-regular part of the show, as of this fall, after not being played since a couple of occasions in 2005. The nicest surprise, at least for anyone who hadn’t taken a peek at the setlist for the last show in Nashville, was that Keith Richards used one of his two lead-vocal slots to finally sing something other than “Before They Make Me Run,” et al. — it was the very rare “Connection,” from “Between the Buttons.” It felt like garage-rock in a way that the rest of the show wasn’t, and it’ll probably get slicker if they keep performing it, but it provided a surge of momentum for the deeper-cuts-loving fans before the show goes to the hits where it is inevitably going to go.

What the ’60s Lord giveth, the ’60s Lord taketh away, of course, and so some of the songs that were performed when the Stones did one of their final shows with Charlie at the Rose Bowl on Aug. 22, 2019 are gone now — no “She’s a Rainbow,” for instance (maybe because we have commercial television advertising for that). Also gone from where everyone left off in 2019: the mid-set “acoustic B-stage,” probably because the idea of having the longstanding members come out to the stadium’s middle, without their sidemen or newer recruits, isn’t as viable when there are three left instead of four. And also MIA, a staple you thought would never fade away: “Brown Sugar,” which both Mick and Keith said in a Los Angeles Times interview might be back in their sets someday. We all know better, right? How a song that requires that detailed a political defense survived in the show as long as it did is the real mystery (whether you still love it or think it had its day).

There are songs in Stones shows you think you’ve had enough of, till it turns out you haven’t. One such is “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” which felt overexposed probably even a few decades before its un-ironic use at Trump rallies made it something that produces PTSD among a lot of Stones fans. And yet, when it came to the bridge, with Leavell doing some of his most crucial piano work and Ronnie Wood peeling off some solo licks that were unusually bittersweet for him, you realized you might miss it if it were gone, traumatic associations or no. And the number really came into its own at the close, going into double-time as a full-on secular gospel-rocker. “The Inglewood Singers outdid themselves,” Jagger said afterward, in case we missed that we’d been taken to church.

So much of the show is notable for its savvy performance tropes, as always, like the way Jagger teases the audience by coming down the center ramp just a little at a time before fully inserting himself into stadium center, or does his on-again, off-again strip-tease wardrobe changes, augmenting the black T-shirt that accentuates his skinny frame with a variety of jackets that somehow manage to touch upon every bright color featured on the “Dirty Work” cover. (Somewhat amusingly, Leavell’s keyboard rig quite transparently does double duty as Jagger’s wardrobe department.) In some ways, sure, it’s only show biz-‘n’-roll, and we like it.

And yet it still feels like actual dirty work, too. As in, a job that’s dirty but some World’s Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Band has gotta do it. Keith Richards was not going to get much more sentimental than Jagger was, over the course of an evening where a little sentiment wouldn’t have been unwarranted. But he verged on it, just slightly, when he gave his own happy-to-be-here, happy-to-be-anywhere speech midstream. “I’ve got to say, it’s great to see you again,” he said, seeming to mean it a little more than the mere writing of those words would suggest. “It is great to be out and about again, and let’s hope this all works out,” Richards added. And then, speaking of being on the road, he gave all the reason he needed for touring with or without Watts or not giving too much of a shit about what anybody’s expectation of a touring expiration date should be. “It’s what I do,” he said with a laugh. The crowd understood: he was talking about This Thing Of Ours.

Date: October 16, 2021 06:01

edit: wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-16 06:01 by Hairball.

Posted by: jon12345 ()
Date: October 16, 2021 06:06

Sounds like there might have been some shady stuff going on at the show involving security, bribes and intimidation in the pit. Also reportedly security was telling people to take their masks off. It's the internet so of course take this with a grain of salt, but sounds possibly to be a legit report. I hope there isn't similar shenanigans in Las Vegas when I'm going. My girlfriend and I were already hesitant about going with no vax required and the rumors of very lax mask enforcement, but if a security guy starts yelling at my girlfriend to take her mask off, I know she'll probably break down in tears. 3 members of her immediate family got COVID early on, including both of her parents and they had a really hard time. It was already a big ask just to get her to fly to Vegas. To clarify: The following was not my story or experience, just sharing.

9/14 Bad Pit Experience, Shady RS security - Reddit

Hi Everyone, I attended the show yesterday, 9/14, at SoFi stadium (LA). I was contemplating whether or not I should post this, but I feel I should to warn other fans.

The music was great and they played Ruby Tuesday. The experience was not.

I went into the venue with my brother when the gates opened and went to get our spots on the rail. Then it all went downhill from there. Some a-hole came along 20 minutes later pushing and shoving me claiming it’s his spot. We argue and he continues to push while venue security looks the other way and ignores the escalating situation. A-hole moves down a few spots. Then it comes out he’s selling his spot for some 80 year old lady who is supposedly a friend on the band.

He gets his venmo money and begins to walk away. Then the bands head of security, a bald guy named Chris, goes over to him and they’re all “buddy”. It turns out Chris was getting a cut as they talked about business and Chris wanted the old lady to have my spot, even though she’s only 4 people away from me and also on a rail. He came over and began asking me and a few other people if we could give up our spots and move around for this 1 lady. Another fan asked, “why are you moving people?”. Chris immediately became hostile and specifically said, “I can remove you from the venue. Is that what you want? I can do it”.

Chris then turns to me and asks “so?” At this point I realized he would likely throw me out if I didn’t comply so I said sure if I can get a set list. He agreed and I never heard from him again as he ignored me the rest of the night while this old lady took up BOTH our spots. We ended up 2nd row and dealing with a bunch of idiots cutting in front of me the whole night.

I know it’s a bunch of BS because none of the band ever acknowledged this “lady” who was supposedly a good friend of the band. And if she was really friends, she would’ve been on the other side of the rail with band friends+family and backstage. But she wasn't.

After paying $500 for the ticket and being treated like that as a fan, I have no intention of ever seeing them again. And it's sad because it was a first Rolling Stone concert for us and we love their music.

I feel bad for my brother since he was extremely excited to see his guitar hero for the first time. The a-hole seller kept screaming in our ears “@#$%& pricks” for a solid 5 minutes while digging his elbow in my back. And venue security was right in front of us but wanted to act like nothing was happening.

I guess I may as well note some other bad thing I saw. The venue security guy in our area was telling people to take off their masks which is against the mask policy. Multiple Venue security wanted to take selfies with Mick in the background, I saw fans using profanity at the security claiming, “You didn’t pay @#$%& $600. You can’t @#$%& do that. GTFO”. Fans arguing with each other about what times gates opened and more name-calling all around. Just really not what I expected from a RS audience and management.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: October 16, 2021 07:06

I was in pit 1 along the rail with my mask on the entire time. No problems, but for a while there was something going on nearby with Security guys looking very intimidating at some fans. Maybe that’s what was going on with you. That is really unacceptable.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: October 16, 2021 07:21

I loved Rocks Off and Ruby Tuesday and thoroughly enjoyed the concert. Steve Jordan did well. He didn’t play too hard on Ruby Tuesday, but he beat the hell out of those drums on Rambler. But it worked for the song. I tried not to focus on the drums, but rather to just let the music wash over me. They sounded really great. My only disappointment was Gimme Shelter, one of my favorite songs, where the guitars sounded soupy or muddy to me. I did not like this rendition of that song. I was in pit 1 and there were some weird echos at times of Ronnie’s guitar. I think his may have been a bit too loud.

I had a stellar view from the railing part way up the catwalk. I had a perfect view of Steve all night, and kept wishing I was looking at Charlie instead.

I got a terrific video of Mick and Keith right in front of me during Satisfaction, but don’t know how to post it. And don’t particularly want to learn how. I could text it to someone who could post it for me, maybe?

It took FOREVER to get from the pit to the outside of the stadium. Every stairway and escalator was a huge bottleneck. One of the most poorly designed stadiums for exiting a large crowd. I was parked in lot H, purple, and I watched the gridlock of cars not moving to get out (as I waited for a tow truck that never showed).

Despite my automotive woes, I had a blast and really enjoyed the show. They were on fire and I look forward to Sunday and Vegas.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 16, 2021 10:13

Hairball
rustytrinket86
Dan
triceratops
Oct 12, 2021

[www.youtube.com]

Or...you can manuever your way around a bit...the Lucky Dip wristband got me through several barriers just by showing it to ushers who were unsure what they were...just gotta be confident and aim forward.
Was given side section VIP 112 10 rows up as LD's (not too shabby really), but then took my chances to see how far I could make it after the opening act - plenty of open seats on the floor were beckoning me.
As long as you're polite, friendly, and courteous to everyone you come across including fans, ushers, etc., all is good - worst case scenario is you have to go back...and try the next section over...smiling smiley

The ushers didn't know anything. Dozens of them didn't even know how to get to the floor/pit. I doubt most had walked the venue....once.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 16, 2021 10:32

Hairball
edit: ------------------ winking smiley---------------------

That's rich coming from the same Hairball who has been trolling Keith saying he's too old to keep up with the band and a weak link for years on here. Well he's not a weak link now is he mate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-16 10:36 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: October 16, 2021 11:03

treaclefingers
triceratops
The old and seasoned Stones' fans head out for a beer or to take a piss during "Miss You". The Keith beer/piss break is gone, now that he is playing "Connection".

Says a lot about the average age of a Stones fan if they don't have bladder control for 19 songs.

To be fair, I think it speaks more to the average thirst of a Stones fan, rather than their athletic abilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-16 11:04 by shawnriffhard1.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 16, 2021 11:28

Go before you go! winking smiley

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 16, 2021 12:30

Questions if i may, lots of reports that Keith's Guitar was low in the mix, and low on a few intros like Under My Thumb and SMU.

Three questions, why would it be so low in the mix ?

Who's responsible for it being too low in the mix.

Why was it not corrected throughout the Show.

Beggars more questions winking smiley Was it Keith's request to have his guitar turned down ?, if so why ?

Possibly Mick requested it, I'm confused by such a contrast between two shows, it's not like Ronnie was in top form either, if anything Keith sounded great, just not loud enough. He does do this from time to time though over the years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-16 13:12 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 16, 2021 15:10

JadedFaded

It took FOREVER to get from the pit to the outside of the stadium. Every stairway and escalator was a huge bottleneck. One of the most poorly designed stadiums for exiting a large crowd.

+1. And by the time I got outside I was completely disoriented. I couldn't even find the stairs to get out, just the escalator hell, where half of them didn't work anyway. Maybe I'll be a hero on Sunday and run up the down escalators.

Date: October 16, 2021 15:24

This is the only real downside I can find to this show.

Getting out took forever. I finally just sat back and waited for the bottleneck to clear out and the people sitting next to me had the same thought.

DeanGoodman
JadedFaded

It took FOREVER to get from the pit to the outside of the stadium. Every stairway and escalator was a huge bottleneck. One of the most poorly designed stadiums for exiting a large crowd.

+1. And by the time I got outside I was completely disoriented. I couldn't even find the stairs to get out, just the escalator hell, where half of them didn't work anyway. Maybe I'll be a hero on Sunday and run up the down escalators.

Date: October 16, 2021 15:26

The Rolling Stones review, Los Angeles: How is it possible that they’re still in their prime?

A full six decades after Mick Jagger and Keith Richards first laid eyes on each other, they remain in rude health

Kevin E G Perry
16 October 2021

Getty Images

There’s a moment during the Rolling Stones’ triumphant return to Los Angeles that stays with me long after the show is over. It comes right at the end, after the geriatric band blast through a straight two hours of the finest rock’n’roll songs ever written. They’re midway through a climactic “Satisfaction” and Mick Jagger – who is 78-years-old and by this point has done a marathon’s worth of strutting – is out at the end of his catwalk still giving his all. You can picture it: up on his tippy-toes with his arms flowing from side to side as though he’s performing an incantation. There is a reason people write songs dedicated to his moves.

He turns around to see that Keith Richards, a mere child of 77, has prowled his way down the runway to meet him. The guitarist lets his instrument go slack around his neck and with his pirate’s grin starts to mimic Jagger’s dancing in that matey, half-assed way a non-dancer does when faced with a pro. They’re only about a foot from each other, looking right in each other’s eyes, and they both just start laughing. Looking at the picture of pure joy splashed across their faces, I have to think: seriously, what are the odds?

Jagger and Richards, as any student of rock mythology can tell you, met on a platform at Dartford Station on the morning of 17 October 1961. Their next show at the SoFi Stadium, on Sunday night (17 October) will mark exactly 60 years of the prototypical rock partnership. Their diamond anniversary. Few marriages last this long, and even fewer bands. Throughout their turbulent relationship, Jagger and Richards have fought, feuded, sniped and publicly made fun of each other’s genitalia, but somehow they’ve always come back to each other. What’s even more remarkable is that by tonight’s evidence, impossibly, they’re still at the top of their game.

By their own standards, the show is a relatively stripped-down production. We get a few fireworks for the opening “Let’s Spend The Night Together” and a couple more to accompany a majestic “Sympathy For The Devil”. But for the most part, this is just a band onstage playing their hits, confident in the knowledge that no further theatrics are required when you have “Honky Tonk Woman”, “Paint It Black”, “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and “Gimme Shelter” in your arsenal.

The only sadness about the show is that Charlie Watts, who died in August, is of course greatly missed. The show opens with a montage of his performances over the decades; Jagger later dedicates the show to his memory. Watts’s replacement behind the drums, longtime Stones accomplice Steve Jordan, rocks... but it’s not the same roll. Guitarist Ronnie Wood, meanwhile, keeps even Jagger on his toes by bounding around the stage like a puppy in sparkling sneakers. Really, though, it is hard to take your eyes off Jagger and Richards, and marvel at whatever miraculous combination of fate, luck and exotic medical procedures has enabled them to still by playing shows like this. Particularly because they’re at an age when most of us will be glad if we can bend down far enough to put on our own slippers.

Jagger, clearly, still has all his wits about him. At one point, he titillates the crowd by announcing that Paul McCartney is in the building, and will be joining the band for a “blues rock cover”. It’s a gentle dig back at McCartney’s recent claim that the Stones are just “a blues cover band”. The Beatles and The Stones still feuding in 2021? Some things really do never change.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Date: October 16, 2021 15:43

Mick's posted the celebrity shout out clip, with some commentary - "Misread that one."

[twitter.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 16, 2021 16:45

georgemcdonnell314
This is the only real downside I can find to this show.

Getting out took forever. I finally just sat back and waited for the bottleneck to clear out and the people sitting next to me had the same thought.

DeanGoodman
JadedFaded

Absolute nightmare getting out.
Walked up six flights of stairs.. ugh

Asked a couple sheriff deputies which way out at one point and they each pointed different directions.
They had no clue.

On the bright side..
Live and learn though.. leaving before the final bow tomorrow.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home