Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Last minute changes of setlists
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 14, 2021 18:29

This is a sneaky question ...
How often (or how rarely) did the Stones make a last minute change (not longer that a day before the actual show) to the setlist?

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Re: Last minute changes of setlists
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 14, 2021 18:53

Not sure how often it happens, but the Kraft private show had a song that was setlisted but not played. Forget which one it was, maybe SFM.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 14, 2021 18:53

NYC 1/14/98 Little Red Rooster replaces The Last Time (this change was made onstage)
Oakland 2006 something else (Dead Flowers?) replaces Little Red Rooster when Van Morrison is a no-show on the duet

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: October 14, 2021 19:10

I don't know if this counts as last minute but Chuck said in his latest interview that they made some changes after the full set run through before opening night at St Louis. This suggests they had made a set - played it all through a day or two before - and then changed it sometime before the gig - hardly "last minute" but in theory could have been the day of the show...

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: October 14, 2021 19:19

I went to the final show in 2007 really early and heard the soundcheck before the doors opened. They ran through Angie but did not play it that night. It's not strange to do this, like the other day with Rocks Off being rehearsed, but in that situation they have the rest of the tour to still play it

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 14, 2021 19:25

Cirkus Stockholm 2003 was an interesting one, I was 2ft from the band and could literally walk on stage and before they came on I saw the plexi and it read Sympathy OR JJ Flash as the closer.

It was the next to the last time they finished with Sympathy, Werchter 2007 being the last and I was there as well, FOS. Strange as I've "only" catched them 37 times through the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-14 19:25 by MadMax.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 14, 2021 19:50

Rumour had it that Mick Taylor was to guest on Little Red Rooster at the Astoria in '03, but after failing to show up at rehearsal earlier in the day the idea was abandoned.
Correct me if wrong, but that's the way I remember it...still a good show, but no Mick Taylor...

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 14, 2021 19:56

The setlist for the 1st London show in 2012 showed Lady Jane and Satisfaction, but they were not played.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: October 14, 2021 20:01

At Altamont they added Brown Sugar and The Sun Is Shining during the show. 2021 warmpup gig setlist included SFM but not played.

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: October 14, 2021 20:03

franzk
2021 warmpup gig setlist included SFM but not played.

Which is why I'm pleasantly surprised they are opening every show with it now. I will never get tired of this show opener

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 14, 2021 20:38

Hairball
Rumour had it that Mick Taylor was to guest on Little Red Rooster at the Astoria in '03, but after failing to show up at rehearsal earlier in the day the idea was abandoned.
Correct me if wrong, but that's the way I remember it...still a good show, but no Mick Taylor...

This is probably true. I remember the rumours of his guest appearance.

Date: October 14, 2021 20:47

Big Al
Hairball

Everyone was talking about it throughout the day while we waited in line - there was a buzz in the air.
Just can't recall if it was Little Red Rooster or some other tune, or the exact reason why it didn't happen.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: October 14, 2021 21:05

November 25 of 2012 Lady Jane and Satisfaction are skipped I understand because the show would not be finished before 23 hours. That would cost them a fine to the city of London. I was at the show, sad I missed my chance to hear Lady Jane for the first and only time live. Didn’t mind they didn’t play Satisfaction. This was because they started the show to late…..

Date: October 14, 2021 22:38

Hairball
Big Al
Hairball

Everyone was talking about it throughout the day while we waited in line - there was a buzz in the air.
Just can't recall if it was Little Red Rooster or some other tune, or the exact reason why it didn't happen.
Mick T. and his lady friend Marlies ended, just like all of us, in the audience.

Hey Hairball, you were there too!
Do you remember we all had to wait in line and that there was a problem with a key? It got lost and they (the Stones staff) couldn't get in? I don't know if you knew who Tony King was (PR manager for the Stones) and, if so, how he looked like. He walked up to me while I was in the line and told me what had happened with that key. I think I was standing close to Toronto Tom, if you know him. Once inside the Astoria building I briefly spoke to Mick Taylor (I saw and met him earlier in the 101 Club) and asked him about rumours about him playing a song with the Stones that evening. The only thing I got out of him was that there was some mis-communication of some sort. Hendrik mentioned that possibly they skipped a song (could have been Rock Me Baby but just as well Little Red Rooster) together with Mick Taylor because of voice problems for Jagger, but that is not correct. The decision was already made before the show started (as Mick Taylor told me ... just before the show started). He and his lady friend ended up, just like all of us, in the audience.

smileys with beer

Date: October 14, 2021 22:54

georgie48
Hairball
Big Al
Hairball

Mick T. and his lady friend Marlies ended, just like all of us, in the audience.

Do you remember we all had to wait in line and that there was a problem with a key? It got lost and they (the Stones staff) couldn't get in? I don't know if you knew who Tony King was (PR manager for the Stones) and, if so, how he looked like. He walked up to me while I was in the line and told me what had happened with that key. I think I was standing close to Toronto Tom, if you know him. Once inside the Astoria building I briefly spoke to Mick Taylor (I saw and met him earlier in the 101 Club) and asked him about rumours about him playing a song with the Stones that evening. The only thing I got out of him was that there was some mis-communication of some sort. Hendrik mentioned that possibly they skipped a song (could have been Rock Me Baby but just as well Little Red Rooster) together with Mick Taylor because of voice problems for Jagger, but that is not correct. The decision was already made before the show started (as Mick Taylor told me ... just before the show started). He and his lady friend ended up, just like all of us, in the audience.

smileys with beer

Hi georgie - good memories, and yes I was also there that night.
Quick reply as I'm half way out the door heading down to Los Angeles to go see the Stones tonight ... smiling smiley

I don't recall any key mishap....
I do remember Toronto Tom - I think from the old Shidoobee days and/or maybe Rocks Off message board.
I was also at the Mick Taylor 100 Club show - standing front center practically on the stage itself two feet away from MT.

Stay safe. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-14 22:57 by Hairball.

Posted by: lickskeith ()
Date: October 14, 2021 22:55

Licks Tour Club gigs had many setlist changes. Mainly for encores I believe.. Tumbling Dice was skipped many Times.

Date: October 14, 2021 23:04

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
Big Al
Hairball

smileys with beer

Hi georgie - good memories, and yes I was also there that night.
Quick reply as I'm half way out the door heading down to Los Angeles to go see the Stones tonight ... smiling smiley

I don't recall any key mishap....
I do remember Toronto Tom - I think from the old Shidoobee days and/or maybe Rocks Off message board.
I was also at the Mick Taylor 100 Club show - standing front center practically on the stage itself two feet away from MT.

Stay safe. thumbs up

Enjoy the concert !!!! My mind will be with you all!
smileys with beer

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 15, 2021 12:00

Hairball
Big Al
Hairball

My memory is that it was to be Rock Me Baby. There was a moment of confusion on stage, Keith consulted a setlist in the wings, announced "Oh yeah, I know that one" and fell to his knees to hit the opening chord of Honky Tonk Women. At the end of the opening riffs, he produced a pick from his mouth. Quite a performance!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 15, 2021 12:09

erikjjf
The setlist for the 1st London show in 2012 showed Lady Jane and Satisfaction, but they were not played.

That was a time issue: they had a fixed deadline and they started late. If they had played Satisfaction, nearly everyone at the show would have missed the last train out of North Greenwich and been stranded. They played both on the second night.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 15, 2021 14:52

Fedex Field, Washington DC in 2002. Keith played 'Tumbling Dice' earlier than the setlist called for. From my not great seat I could see Lisa Fisher and the other singers off stage taking a planned break - then they heard the opening riff and came running back out to do vocals. Keith and Ronnie were laughing at the mistake. The song came off well, however, and the audience likely never had any idea.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: October 15, 2021 15:06

georgie48
This is a sneaky question ...
How often (or how rarely) did the Stones make a last minute change (not longer that a day before the actual show) to the setlist?

I remember when i was the Astoria gig in 2003, when Mick T was supposed to play with them..

Rock me baby became honky tonk

sad smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 15, 2021 16:40

Altamont Dec 6 1969, you gotta move, prodigal son.
Replaced by, Sun is Shining, Brown Sugar (am I allowed to say this song? What a effing joke)

Date: October 15, 2021 16:55

teleblaster
Hairball
Big Al
Hairball

My memory is that it was to be Rock Me Baby. There was a moment of confusion on stage, Keith consulted a setlist in the wings, announced "Oh yeah, I know that one" and fell to his knees to hit the opening chord of Honky Tonk Women. At the end of the opening riffs, he produced a pick from his mouth. Quite a performance!

If that was the case, one could draw the conclusion that Keith wasn't informed yet about Mick Taylor not joining. As I mentioned above, Mick told me before the show that he was not going to play.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 15, 2021 17:51

What about out of time and mother s little helper??
Could be a sensational surprise

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 15, 2021 22:26

KeithNacho
What about out of time and mother s little helper??
Could be a sensational surprise

I had a dream when I was like 10 years old (early 1980's) that I got to go see the Rolling Stones and they opened with Mother's Little Helper. Always thought Mick stepping into the spotlight with the first verse would have made a great opener.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 15, 2021 23:10

There is a lot of stuff from the sixties never played live. 1981-82 aproaches from sixties songs was spectacular

Date: October 16, 2021 10:47

At the beginning of the thread I said that "it's a sneaky question", because I was wondering if anyone would surface with the 2002 Boston Orpheum setlist.
The evening before that show the Stones started rehearsing Parachute Woman and Mick announced it during the concert the next evening.
They never played it live before (not counting the Rock and Roll Circus recording) and never played it live since that notorious Boston club show winking smiley
I don't know which song was taken of the list, but I didn't care, because an "impossible" dream came true that evening cool smiley

smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home