Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Did Ronnie Ever Meet Brian?
Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: October 10, 2021 03:14

It seems like they moved in the same circles, but is there any mention anywhere of them meeting?

Re: Did Ronnie Ever Meet Brian?
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 10, 2021 03:18

Ronnie’s brother Art was playing with or around Alexis Korner in the early ‘60s, and Ronnie was starting The Birds not much later, so I would be surprised if he had not.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2021 03:20

There's only one man who can truly answer that ....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 10, 2021 03:40

Rockman
There's only one man who can truly answer that ....
Yes, I'm hoping someone has read his autobiography and maybe he mentioned it.

Date: October 10, 2021 03:42

....According To The Rolling Stones - page 125

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 10, 2021 04:08

Rockman

Sounds strange Nicky would refer to Brian as his friend, when Ronnie obviously knew who he was.

Date: October 10, 2021 04:21

Reads legit ta me .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 10, 2021 04:49

I'd also be curious to know if Mick Taylor ever met Brian. If they had met surrounding Brian's dismissal, I could imagine it would have been a rather awkward exchange, given the circumstances....

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 10, 2021 05:03

I don't believe Mick ever met Brian

Date: October 10, 2021 05:31

Taylor1
Rockman

Sounds strange Nicky would refer to Brian as his friend, when Ronnie obviously knew who he was.
Thanks, Taylor1!!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 10, 2021 06:14

Most likely The Jeff Beck Group times (during the recording of the Truth album — it was recorded on 14–15 and 25–26 May 1968, which coincides with the recording sessions of Beggars Banquet. And both groups used the Olympic Studios, at least partially).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-10 16:51 by RisingStone.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 10, 2021 08:20

I wonder if Brian ever met Syd Barrett?

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: October 10, 2021 08:58

Aug.02, 1964, Warminster, Lnd,UK

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 10, 2021 09:23

NathanLaze

That’s not Ronnie Wood. Just look at any picture of him, circa 1964, with The Birds. That person looks more like he could be security of some kind.

Date: October 10, 2021 09:52

Wonder if Blondie ever met Robert Johnson ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: October 10, 2021 10:13

sf37
I'd also be curious to know if Mick Taylor ever met Brian. If they had met surrounding Brian's dismissal, I could imagine it would have been a rather awkward exchange, given the circumstances....

I once asked Mick Taylor if he ever met Brian and he replied "No".

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 10, 2021 12:02

Big Al
NathanLaze

That’s not Ronnie Wood. Just look at any picture of him, circa 1964, with The Birds. That person looks more like he could be security of some kind.

The nose is similar but Ronnie's chin is more prominent.

Did Brian ever meet Ronnie?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 10, 2021 13:32

Ronnie says in his book ' The Works' that he 'met'them all falling put of the back of a Transit van in the early days. Somewhere near the Thames.

And it does look like Ronnie on that photo. Or Bob Dylan.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 10, 2021 13:55

Exactly how tall is Ronnie anyway? Reason I ask is, the guy with the red arrow pointing at his head looks like he's no bigger than Paul Simon or Phil Spector. Seriously, like 5'2" or something.

Date: October 10, 2021 14:22

Didn’t Mick Taylor say in some interview that when he went to buy the Bigsby guitar from Keith he saw Brian through a window in the recording studio.We do know Brian met Ry Cooder. I wonder if there are any recordings of Brian playing with Cooder during the Let it Bleed sessions

Date: October 10, 2021 15:58

Taylor1
Didn’t Mick Taylor say in some interview that when he went to buy the Bigsby guitar from Keith he saw Brian through a window in the recording studio.We do know Brian met Ry Cooder. I wonder if there are any recordings of Brian playing with Cooder during the Let it Bleed sessions

Taylor only met Stu while collecting the guitar.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 10, 2021 16:54

Rockman
Wonder if Blondie ever met Robert Johnson ....

Blondie/RJ

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-10 16:55 by LeonidP.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 10, 2021 17:01

tatters
Exactly how tall is Ronnie anyway? Reason I ask is, the guy with the red arrow pointing at his head looks like he's no bigger than Paul Simon or Phil Spector. Seriously, like 5'2" or something.

That’s what I thought, too.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 10, 2021 17:03

Four Stone Walls
Ronnie says in his book ' The Works' that he 'met'them all falling put of the back of a Transit van in the early days. Somewhere near the Thames.

And it does look like Ronnie on that photo. Or Bob Dylan.

Could possibly be the Cellar Club in Kingston that was down a side street that was just a few metres from The Thames.
Just do a Google search, and info and poster pics on there.
The Artwoods played there as well as Steve Marriot, Eric Clapton, The Animals, John Lee Hooker, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and many more.
I guess Ronnie would go and see his brother play at times before he was in The Birds.
The Stones did two gigs in Kingston within about 5 months and first one was September 12th 1963,and second one was Granada Cinema February 13th 1964. smileys with beer

Here's some comments from a guy who saw The Stones at The Cellar Club, Kingston.

'I saw the Rolling Stones at the Cellar Club. I had only heard that they were supposed to be very good from a work colleague (Bentalls) who saw them in Richmond. They arrived in an old Bedford Dormobile and looked very strange. They did not wear a uniform – pretty much compulsary for bands until then and their long hair and bad complexions made them seem to belong to a different society and culture from middle class Kingston.
When they started I could hardly distinguish the sounds because of the high sound volume in the low roofed club. I managed to tune in by about the third number which was one of my favourite Chuck Berry songs : Jaguar and the Thunderbird. I remember that throughout the performance Keith and Bryan continually broke their strings and cursed at the poor guy who didn’t restring the guitars quickly enough for them.
I wanted to see more of them after that but they moved on away from clubs and toured cinemas with the Everly Brothers.'

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-10 20:11 by crawdaddy.

Date: October 10, 2021 17:09

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Taylor only met Stu while collecting the guitar.
No not met Brian but saw him in the studio

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 10, 2021 18:54

Taylor1
Rockman

I don't understand what your point is.

Sure, Ronnie knew who Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones was. But if he had never met him before, Nicky, who had worked with and spent time with Brian, was being polite and opening the door for Ronnie to have a conversation with him. (Even if Brian wasn't capable at that moment)

Saying that Brian was his "friend" was a casual way of putting them all on an equal footing while making a formal introduction.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: October 12, 2021 10:56

Consider this - the photos of the gig are headed 'Aug 02 1964 Warminster, Lnd, U.K.' in the original post.

Assuming 'Lnd' is an abbreviation of 'London' the question arises - is there a place in London called Warminster. There is a Warminster Road revealed by a Google search but nothing else.

Zentgraf has this entry for the date of 2 August 1964-

640802A 2nd August: Warminster, Longleat House, '3rd Pop Festival'
Note: A short silent private film of this open-air gig exists.

640802B 2nd August: UK TV ( ) 'News', Warminster, Longleat House, Green Room.
- interview with one or more Stones

Longleat House is a stately home in Wiltshire, over a hundred miles from London. Is it likely that Tonnie would be there? It is stated that the gig was part of a pop festival, would Ronnie have played there or gone to support his brother?

Incidentally, there is a Longleat House listed in London but it is an apartment block.

My point is that the photos are probably incorrectly labelled and if the gig was in Wiltshire then how likely is it than Ronnie would have been there.

And who has the private film referred to?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 12, 2021 11:49

Elmo, it clearly isn't Ronnie. I'm in total agreement with you; as should any person. Take one look at a 1964-65 picture of Ronnie, and any of those who think this chap could be Ronnie, will see that it absolutely isn't Ronnie Wood!

Date: October 12, 2021 12:05

.... agree aint Ronnie ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 12, 2021 17:22

...agree it isn't Ronnie

" It was 1964. The Rolling Stones were playing the Richmond Jazz and Blues festival. The gut essence of the music was gripping, it has gripped me ever since. The Stones were my bait and I was hooked on the line."

from the book: RONNIE The Sunday Times Bestseller."

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1448
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home