Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: John Rutherford RIP
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 5, 2021 06:38

RIP

Condolences to his family.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 5, 2021 09:56

my condolences to his family & many friends.
Rest in peace.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 5, 2021 10:40

RIP

Date: October 5, 2021 10:54

RIP, stone-relics. Sad news.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 5, 2021 10:57

A collector extraordinaire as he used to be called on some boards.
Got one or two records from him as well as detailed informations.

R.I.P

HMN

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: October 5, 2021 11:32

R.I.P. JR

John was a legend - I never met him in person, but we did speak on the phone and exchanged emails. He was a great guy - his bootleg vinyl knowledge was 2nd to none and always blew me away. I once swapped 4 LPs for his VL Leather Jacket - which I still have and will cherish even more now. He will be missed by Family, friends and Stones fans everywhere.

See you on the other side JR.

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 5, 2021 12:51

RIP stone-relics.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 5, 2021 13:28

So sad to hear. RIP.

- Doxa

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 5, 2021 13:30

RIP sad smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 5, 2021 14:13

This is really sad news. Never met him in person, but traded many recordings with him.

Mathijs

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 5, 2021 14:35

It is sad to hear a Stones fan pass away. R.I.P. and my condolences to his family and friends.

Stoneage
How sad. I think he sold most of his collection a couple of years ago. And kind of lost interest in the band. At least the modern version of it.
I can understand those sentiments. Things come and go. Such is life. Safe journey.

I searched with his alias, Stone-Relics, on the board. His last post is 2 years ago. And his comments for the last 5-6 years have revealed his increasing disappointment and disenchantment with the Stones. Hearing his dedication to the group and the depth of his knowledge from other fans here, it makes me feel even more sad.

Posted by: StonedALIVE ()
Date: October 5, 2021 14:53

With a heavy heart, Johnny, I will miss having you in my life. Such a passionate, kind soul. You were like my brother with a once in a lifetime friendship that I will always treasure. This place is empty, oh so empty, without you.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 5, 2021 15:08

I remember him from the 90's.
Basement News/ Undercover times.
On tour he invited some fans to his place.

RIP John

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 5, 2021 16:24

filstan
Long time contributor on these pages, life long Stones fan, and friend to many of us here has passed away, suddenly. His Rolling Stones vinyl knowledge and record collection was world class. Only one one thing comes to my mind right now, "Shattered".

RIP JR...

Could you edit your post and include his screen name in the thread title. Thanks.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 5, 2021 16:33

I'll try

Date: October 5, 2021 16:37

The Sicilian
filstan
Long time contributor on these pages, life long Stones fan, and friend to many of us here has passed away, suddenly. His Rolling Stones vinyl knowledge and record collection was world class. Only one one thing comes to my mind right now, "Shattered".

RIP JR...

Could you edit your post and include his screen name in the thread title. Thanks.

Success!

Posted by: bitman ()
Date: October 5, 2021 17:11

So sad to hear that JR has passed away. I always enjoyed the long chats we'd have about all things Stones. Every time I'd share a newly acquired item with him, he'd always say "Nice!!!" in that enthusiastic tone he had. We did a few deals over the years and he was always super fair and easy to deal with.

I'll miss chatting with him. RIP

Filstan - do you have a link to that facebook gallery?

Re: John Rutherford (Stone-Relics) RIP
Date: October 5, 2021 17:30

Yes, its just Philip Stanley over on FB

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 5, 2021 21:14

filstan
The Sicilian
filstan

RIP JR...

Success!

Thanks, it helps for those who only knew of him by his screen name and it makes it easier to search.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: October 5, 2021 23:57

I am sorry to hear this news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: October 6, 2021 06:21

Very Sad News to read. ...... Sorry to all who knew him, as a Stones collector, I'm sure he would have had a good life enjoying his collection and appreciated the accolades he deserves

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 6, 2021 06:36

RIP

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 6, 2021 12:15

Filstan, I'd love to see the pics.

JR and James Karnbach worked together through a mutual friend to get me in to the Wiltern Theater show! Great memory of riding in a car with John and his friend to get my ticket for the Wiltern.

I even got a $200 discount thanks to James and JR! LOL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-06 12:22 by exilestones.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 6, 2021 16:03

Might interest some of Johns chums here.....

[cartarchaeology.wordpress.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 6, 2021 16:23

Condolences to his family ... RIP

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 6, 2021 16:30

Very sad news. RIP

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: October 6, 2021 16:53

His collecting was very much in line with his profession (archeologist). One way he would find the rare vinyl variations was by canvassing thrift stores. If you have ever tried doing this, it takes a great amount diligence because there are lots of dead ends before getting to the rare find. He used to say “this one is rare as ‘hens teeth’”. I had never heard that before and that was JR being enthusiastic about collecting Rolling Stones.

Chris M.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-06 16:55 by ChrisM42.

Date: October 6, 2021 16:59

ChrisM42
His collecting was very much in line with his profession (archeologist). One way he would find the rare vinyl variations was by canvassing thrift stores. If you have ever tried doing this, it takes a great amount diligence because there are lots of dead ends before getting to the rare find. He used to say “this one is rare as ‘hens teeth’”. I had never heard that before and that was JR being enthusiastic about collecting Rolling Stones.

Chris M.

Good one Chris, I heard the "hens teeth" line from John many times over the years. JR had a gift for turning a phrase.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 7, 2021 01:09

"This record's in such good shape `til it's still got a bunch of crunchy shit in the spindle-hole."

JR - countless sales

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 7, 2021 15:01

Funny stuff- what a character. Id almost forgotten the pre-internet years where record collecting meant buying vinyl from ads in the back of Goldmine, trolling Goodwill stores and antiques malls, driving to record shows in far flung places like Timonium or Arbutus Maryland or Tysons Corner Virginia. Did that with him for years. As far as I know, JR invented the term "Rebay-ing"- he find a rarity on Ebay that slipped under everyones radar, buy it and then relist it at a higher price (and sell it..) Hey, he was also a big Rory Gallagher fan too.....drinking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home