Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
John Rutherford (Stone-Relics) RIP
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 4, 2021 19:16

Long time contributor on these pages, life long Stones fan, and friend to many of us here has passed away, suddenly. His Rolling Stones vinyl knowledge and record collection was world class. Only one one thing comes to my mind right now, "Shattered".

RIP JR...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-05 16:36 by filstan.

Re: John Rutherford RIP
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 4, 2021 19:24

Rest In Peace John.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 4, 2021 20:10

RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-04 20:30 by roryfaninva.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 4, 2021 20:11

Are you talking about the person with the screen name "shattered"? He posted today.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: October 4, 2021 20:34

Ohh. So sad to get this information. I was communicating with him through mails and phonecalls for a number of years. He had one of the largest Stones vinyl collections ever.
He also contributed with knowledge and picturesto my stones on decca page.
He was an active poster here as well

RIP my friend

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 4, 2021 21:04

Wow. He was a close friend for decades and I feel like I should say something on this forum that meant so much to him- I met John in 1983 in Radford Virginia at a college party where we hit it off over a drunken discussion of Eddie Cochran. He was truly a larger than life character and a total one off. He loved rockabilly, he loved Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, all kinds of blues but his abiding hobby/passion/mania/obsession was The Rolling Stones- on vinyl in particular. No one knew more about Stones records. His enthusiasm was truly contagious. Recalling his first dance with his wonderful patient wife at their wedding many years ago was to "Wild Horses"...that kind of dedication. Please raise a tall cold one to his memory and crank the Rolling Stones nice and loud. That is exactly what he wants.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 4, 2021 21:22

Rest in peace, John.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 4, 2021 21:24

Rest in peace, John.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 4, 2021 21:37

R.I.P

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: October 4, 2021 21:39

Rest in peace, John.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 4, 2021 21:45

That's terrible news, sorry to hear. I remember he had a lot to say about vinyl. Matter of fact he sold me a Greek 45. It's one of my favorites actually. R.I.P. JR.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: October 4, 2021 22:25

Thanks for posting, Phil.

I am looking to contact Chris S. (Stonesstein), Chris K., anyone else who I can't think of right now, to let them know arrangements as they develop.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 4, 2021 22:35

Very sad to hear RIP John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-05 01:07 by NICOS.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: October 4, 2021 22:51

Very sad to hear......how old was he? Peace

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 4, 2021 23:29

Wow ! stone-relics !!!
I'm very sad.
I asked many questions when he was active here in tell me but also privately and he was always very kind.
I also bought him a few records. He always had something interesting to tell about the Stones discography: his articles in the Basement News fanzine are amazing.

I can't believe it right now....

RIP

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 4, 2021 23:50

RIP.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 5, 2021 00:28

How sad. I think he sold most of his collection a couple of years ago. And kind of lost interest in the band. At least the modern version of it.
I can understand those sentiments. Things come and go. Such is life. Safe journey.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: October 5, 2021 00:35

Another goodbye to another good friend......RIP John

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 5, 2021 00:43

Very sad to hear of the passing of a Rolling Stones fan, as well as a well known poster on IORR.

God Bless you John, and condolences to your family on their sad loss.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: October 5, 2021 01:05

Roll a fatty and crank your favorite copy of Ya Yas.

JR was a legend. Knew him since the early 90s. At times it was a weekly Friday afternoon phone call, when he’d have started into the Guinness and would be chain smoking, playing his latest find or acquisition over the phone to me via his beloved Klipsches. Later he’d be sharing details about a “sweet” Gretsch guitar, or his intense harmonica playing.

In his later years the vinyl madness, and the Guinness, had become a lesser part of life - or not one at all. But his love of the Stones never waned.

We also had a common friend. A past co-worker of his in Virginia, and, later, a girlfriend of mine in Boston - I met her through her love of the Stones, and she would share cassettes that this “amazing and wild” guy she worked with on archaeology digs had made her of rare Stones. Only later would I meet JR through other Stones collecting circles and made the connection! Her passing at far too young of an age was a special bond we shared - along with his love of cats.

Say “Hi” to Sarah, Charlie, Stu, and Brian, cat!

RIP JR

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: October 5, 2021 01:48

RIP John!

Condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 5, 2021 02:18

The Sicilian
Are you talking about the person with the screen name "shattered"? He posted today.

I think John posted on the Hot Stuff link here on IORR. Besides losing band members, we are losing experts in the fan community.

Shattered is very much alive the last I checked.

Thanks Sicilian.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 5, 2021 02:18

Thanks to all for sharing such kind sentiments for JR. I posted a bunch of photos up on FB.

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: October 5, 2021 02:23

A beautiful human being, who helped me when I was the sole caregiver for me mum. Heaven will be blessed by your loving spirit.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 5, 2021 03:25

I didnt know John personally, but he was something of a legend in fan circles even before the internet era. I remember his contributions to Basement News very well.

RIP

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 5, 2021 03:33

dph
Thanks for posting, Phil.

I am looking to contact Chris S. (Stonesstein), Chris K., anyone else who I can't think of right now, to let them know arrangements as they develop.

He was among my closest friends. We talked a few weeks back. We talked regularly for decades and built collections together. I will write more when I can.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 5, 2021 05:36

shattered
The Sicilian

I think John posted on the Hot Stuff link here on IORR. Besides losing band members, we are losing experts in the fan community.

Shattered is very much alive the last I checked.

Thanks Sicilian.

Sorry, what was his screen name?

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 5, 2021 06:05

The Sicilian

Sorry, what was his screen name?

Stone-Relics (he was an archeologist)

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2021 06:18

Condolences to family and those close to him

RIP John ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: October 5, 2021 06:21

This is really surprising. Very sorry to learn of this. I connected with JR through the Undercover mailing list in the 90’s. We would talk on the phone, email and trade records. He had great knowledge of rare titles and variations in the commercial releases. Too soon, for sure.

Chris M.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1200
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home