Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sway in new Sopranos movie
Posted by: cmc ()
Date: October 3, 2021 17:52

A new movie released OCT 1, The Many Saints of Newark, is a prequel to the Sopranos series. A must see for Sopranos fans.
Sway plays at around the 50 minute mark. There is at least one more Stones reference later in the movie as well.
Awesome show. Great music throughout.

Re: Sway in new Sopranos movie
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 3, 2021 17:54

Heard mixed reviews, but cannot wait to see it. HBO Max launches in Finland on Oct 26.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: October 3, 2021 18:20

I was disappointed in the movie--maybe because the series was so good, so compelling. Hard to do that in 2 hours. BUT, I still enjoyed it. I was thinking this would be a great new series...Sopranos in 1972.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 3, 2021 19:32

I liked The Sopranos series, but I haven't seen this one yet.

As a Stones fan, I would have experienced some delight at the surprise of hearing them use this song as I watched the show.

Since I now expect it, your reporting of this factoid eliminates that possibility.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-03 19:40 by loog droog.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: October 3, 2021 20:48

loog droog

As a Stones fan, I would have experienced some delight at the surprise of hearing them use this song as I watched the show.

Since I now expect it, your reporting of this factoid eliminates that possibility.

Geez! Take it easy, Karen! LOL

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: October 3, 2021 21:45

The Mother's Little Helper scene shows the soft, caring side of Anthony that played a big part in the Sopranos series. Nicely done.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 3, 2021 22:02

loog droog

On the plus side, this is possibly the worst film I've ever seen. Maybe you'll dodge a bullet (unlike Tony Soprano).

The odd thing is that it's initially jarring to hear "Sway" because the action has been taking place in 1967. So while you're gasping for breath at this seeming anachronism, you eventually learn through dead-man voiceover that we're now in 1971 (or so).

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: October 3, 2021 22:19

I thought the way the first couple of notes of Sway blasted out loud in that scene was fantastic. I absolutely grinned when I heard it. Lyrically, the song works perfectly for what’s taking place in the storyline. I liked the movie a lot and The Sopranos is my all-time favorite show. Michael Gandolfini’s facial expressions and mannerisms are so similar to his father that it is almost eerie. It’s no secret that David Chase is a huge Stones fan, so knowing this film takes place in the late 60s/early 70s, it’s no surprise at all that he would use some songs from our favorite band cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-03 22:23 by BFR.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: October 3, 2021 22:25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-03 22:49 by cmc.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 4, 2021 01:03

On a related note, HBO series Billions played Wild Horses in last week's episode at the beginning of the show as well as the end.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 4, 2021 13:21

James Gandolfini was born in 1961, so it seems odd to me that this prequel would take place in the late 60s and early 70s, unless Tony Soprano was supposed to be significantly older than the actor playing him in the original series.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 4, 2021 13:47

Also, Michael Gandolfini is 22 years old, so shouldn't this prequel really take place sometime in the early 1980s? I'd really like some clarification on this.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 6, 2021 13:21

It's odd, the movie is set in 1967 and Sway was after 1970. The film was just average, though really violent. There wasn't all that much about Tony Soprano. To me it seemed like the premier episode of a tv show.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home