Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: David Lee Roth retiring
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 5, 2021 01:15

Dave was an EMT for awhile in NYC. He also spent 3 full years in Japan riding a bike and learning calligraphy. I’m serious

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 5, 2021 02:16

DGA35
RollingFreak
misterfrias
bitusa2012
Wasn’t aware he was still working

Me neither. He was the man in the 1980s but had faded away by 1990.
No one really knew he did anything till the Van Halen reunion in 2007. He coasted on that for a decade and now does a lot of weird hobby stuff. He's essentially been "current for a total of a 10 year period and he thinks we owe him everything.

He didn't "coast". The VH tour of 07-08 was their highest grossing tour ever. In 2012 they released A Different Kind of Truth, an excellent album with some of the songs on the album that were from the original club days that were redone with new lyrics. Toured behind that album and then in 2015 they toured in support of the live Tokyo Dome album, which would end up being their final tour. 2019 was supposed to be the big stadium reunion tour with the full original lineup but unfortunately never happened. No one knew the full extent of Eddie's cancer.

Lol I know their whole history and the tours and the album. I liked them all too. He still coasted through those. You hear his voice on that live album? Yeesh. Dude was waiting for that phone call to come back to Van Halen his whole life, and smart for him he didn't blow it when it came. I'm sure he would have pushed for way more if Eddie wasn't sick.

OT: David Lee Roth unretiring?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 2, 2022 15:06

Van Halen's David Lee Roth teases coming out of retirement

Tracy Wright
May 31, 2022

[www.foxnews.com]

Video > [video.foxnews.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 2, 2022 16:30

bitusa2012
Wasn’t aware he was still working

Ditto, thought he was done in the 80s.

bobo
Couldn't care less. Useless singer and overrated frontman.

Agree, but VH was also highly overrated as a band. What's their biggest hit? Jamie's Crying? ... even that is not really any good.

Date: June 2, 2022 17:50

LeonidP
What's their biggest hit? Jamie's Crying?

Umm, no.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 2, 2022 17:53

LeonidP
bobo

Agree, but VH was also highly overrated as a band. What's their biggest hit? Jamie's Crying? ... even that is not really any good.

Lol, you can not like them, but you've gotta know Panama, Jump, Unchained, Runnin With The Devil, Eruption if you know Jamie's Crying. They had a lot of hits even if they weren't your thing.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: June 2, 2022 19:27

I would suggest Peter Wolf as a better frontman, much more like Mick with charisma.
VH, every show I saw rocked and the original line up was the best for me.
Eddie list me when he fired the original bass player for his son. They lost a vocalist who helped DLR and an experienced player.

Date: June 2, 2022 19:28

RollingFreak
LeonidP
bobo

Lol, you can not like them, but you've gotta know Panama, Jump, Unchained, Runnin With The Devil, Eruption if you know Jamie's Crying. They had a lot of hits even if they weren't your thing.

I DO know them (MTV!). I said What is their BIGGEST hit? I have to assume Jamie's Crying since I hear that one on the radio most often, but I have no clue, hence why I asked.

But either way, Running' w/ the Devil, Jump, Panama, Jamie's Crying ... nothing there I have ever liked anyway. Again, overrated!!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 2, 2022 19:29

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 2, 2022 21:19

I saw Van Halen in the late 70's and they were great. Saw them later and not so much. DLR can do what he wants, but not spending my money to see him.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: June 3, 2022 01:08

While DLR was never a great singer live he was good on the albums and one hell of a front man in his prime. In '77-'78 when the 1st VH album came out in was a game changer.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 3, 2022 01:20

It'll be great to get one last tribute concert with Dave, Alex, Mike, Sammy and even Gary. Have several different guest guitarists like Satriani, Vai, Lukather, May, Bettencourt, etc. Wolfie's band can even open!
DLR's voice isn't great but it would help a lot with Mike on harmony vocals. Even Sammy's voice isn't great. Hell, has anyone here seen Bon Jovi on Youtube from his current tour?!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 3, 2022 01:34

This might be the shortest retirement for in all of rock and roll history - seems it was less than a year ago he was saying farewell!
If they get enough musicians to buffer and cover up all the faults of Roth which indeed have become worse over the years, then it might be somewhat tolerable.
Maybe he could jump around like a clown on stage the way he used to ( not sure if he is capable?), while lip synching with maybe an awkward live yelp here and there between lyrics.
Might be worth to see if it was free...on youtube...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 3, 2022 01:55

DGA35
It'll be great to get one last tribute concert with Dave, Alex, Mike, Sammy and even Gary. Have several different guest guitarists like Satriani, Vai, Lukather, May, Bettencourt, etc. Wolfie's band can even open!
DLR's voice isn't great but it would help a lot with Mike on harmony vocals. Even Sammy's voice isn't great. Hell, has anyone here seen Bon Jovi on Youtube from his current tour?!

His son said many times that he wants no part of this at all. Can’t blame him.

Re: OT: David Lee Roth unretiring?
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 3, 2022 05:32

bye bye johnny
Van Halen's David Lee Roth teases coming out of retirement

Tracy Wright
May 31, 2022

[www.foxnews.com]

Video > [video.foxnews.com]

Oh oh

Rod

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 3, 2022 13:29

To me sounds like DLR is a very wise man . I am being as serious as a heart attack and not kidding . If one has the funds saved up why should he or she take crap from crappy people ? Enough already ! I totally respect DLR choice !

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 3, 2022 19:08

Kurt

Opening for the Stones - October 25, 1981 in Orlando

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: June 3, 2022 19:26

FrogSugar
:-(

Never seen him or VH...and I'm from Pasadena. Worked for his dad though (washing cars/dogs as a kid).

So that would be Doctor Roth who employed you. Did you by chance then encounter David's Sister's while you were working for their Father?

Date: June 3, 2022 20:09

TheGreek
To me sounds like DLR is a very wise man . I am being as serious as a heart attack and not kidding . If one has the funds saved up why should he or she take crap from crappy people ? Enough already ! I totally respect DLR choice !

I would have respected him more if he never did Just a Gigolo

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 3, 2022 20:15

LeonidP
TheGreek

Well we all make bad choices and wish we could get 'do overs " in life myself included .

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 4, 2022 04:39

LeonidP
TheGreek

Everybody has a embarrassing song

Roth had Just A Gigolo

Steve Miller had Abracadabra

Chuck Berry had My Ding A Ling

The Stones had Shattered

Re: OT: David Lee Roth unretiring?
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 4, 2022 06:02

bye bye johnny
Van Halen's David Lee Roth teases coming out

Finally!!! smoking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2022 07:37

More Hot Rocks
LeonidP
TheGreek

Everybody has a embarrassing song

Roth had Just A Gigolo

Steve Miller had Abracadabra

Chuck Berry had My Ding A Ling

The Stones had Shattered

Shattered? LOL!

Streets Of Love is their most embarrassing song, on top of quite a few others that don't come close to the brilliance of Shattered.

OT: David Lee Roth
Date: July 11, 2022 23:23

New single (and painting) from DLR:

[davidleeroth.com]

Date: July 11, 2022 23:45

LeonidP
RollingFreak
LeonidP
bobo

I DO know them (MTV!). I said What is their BIGGEST hit? I have to assume Jamie's Crying since I hear that one on the radio most often, but I have no clue, hence why I asked.

But either way, Running' w/ the Devil, Jump, Panama, Jamie's Crying ... nothing there I have ever liked anyway. Again, overrated!!

Van Halen's ten biggest singles:

10. Dreams #22
9. Love Walks In
8. Dance The Night Away #15
7. I'll Wait #13
6. Panama
5. Finish What Ya Started
4. (Oh) Pretty Woman #12
3. When It's Love #5
2. Why Can't This Be Love #3
1. Jump #1

Date: July 11, 2022 23:47

New single but I believe it was recorded several years ago. Interesting article in Rolling Stone magazine from a fan that kept in touch with Eddie over his last several years. Good insight to the dynamics of the band.

Date: July 11, 2022 23:58

DGA35
New single but I believe it was recorded several years ago. Interesting article in Rolling Stone magazine from a fan that kept in touch with Eddie over his last several years. Good insight to the dynamics of the band.

2012's Tattoo? It's original form was Down In Flames in 1977. It's extremely close to being the same as it was in 1977.

“Regardless, you screwed up the classic lineup and, with all due respect to your son, with DLR’s voice in the shitter, you need Anthony more now than ever. And how ’bout some new music you didn’t write in 1975? You are super lazy.”

OT: Van Halen
Date: July 11, 2022 23:59

Link to Blair Fischer's Rolling Stone article cited above.:

[www.rollingstone.com]

--

A good read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-12 00:00 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 12, 2022 00:11

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
RollingFreak
LeonidP
bobo

Van Halen's ten biggest singles:

10. Dreams #22
9. Love Walks In
8. Dance The Night Away #15
7. I'll Wait #13
6. Panama
5. Finish What Ya Started
4. (Oh) Pretty Woman #12
3. When It's Love #5
2. Why Can't This Be Love #3
1. Jump #1

Always been partial to Dance The Night Away.

Date: July 12, 2022 00:29

GasLightStreet
DGA35

2012's Tattoo? It's original form was Down In Flames in 1977. It's extremely close to being the same as it was in 1977.

“Regardless, you screwed up the classic lineup and, with all due respect to your son, with DLR’s voice in the shitter, you need Anthony more now than ever. And how ’bout some new music you didn’t write in 1975? You are super lazy.”

No, the Pointing At The Moon post that bye bye johnny posted above.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home