Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Four Flicks blu ray?
Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: October 2, 2021 19:36

Any info on this? I remember reading ages ago that Four Flicks would be re-released on blu ray, but I haven’t seen one yet. I have to buy this again, but don’t want to buy the old dvd set if the blu ray really is just around the corner.

Re: Four Flicks blu ray?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 2, 2021 19:55

Only a re-issue was in the press-release (July 2018) announced: [www.UniversalMusic.com] - but not explicitly on Blu-ray.

Four Flicks (2003) on Blu-ray makes little sense since it wasn't filmed in High Definition. So it would be only an SD-BluRay with upscaled Video.

Maybe the re-issue gets now the unabridged, full Track-lists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-02 20:05 by Irix.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 2, 2021 20:07

They might release the complete Four Flicks shows separately, like they did with Rio 2006 from The Biggest Bang. Hopefully with some bonus arena shows from 2002.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-02 20:12 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 2, 2021 20:10

Irix
Four Flicks (2003) on Blu-ray makes little sense since it wasn't filmed in High Definition. So it would be only an SD-BluRay with upscaled Video.

They release everything on Blu Ray in their big reissue campaign. I think the Muddy Waters Gig from 1981 and the Tokyo 90 extra show have been the only concerts that weren't Released on BR.

Licks Tour and a 1976 Gig are the only Tours since the 60s where a vault release is still missing so I am pretty confident that they will release something although I doubt it will be the same Set of concerts as Back then.

Date: October 2, 2021 20:20

hockenheim95

They release everything on Blu Ray in their big reissue campaign.

As I wrote: it's then only upscaled Standard Definition Video on the BluRay - like e.g. Copacabana Beach (re-released in 2021).

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: October 2, 2021 20:24

But the audio would be better on blu ray than on dvd.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 2, 2021 20:31

Irix
hockenheim95

As I wrote: it's then only upscaled Standard Definition Video on the BluRay - like e.g. Copacabana Beach (re-released in 2021).

You said a Release on Blu Ray "makes little Sense". But they release nearly everything on Blu Ray in the last few years - HD or not. So a Licks Concert on Blu Ray is only a matter of time for me And as padre69 Said, the sound is better on Blu Ray.

Date: October 2, 2021 21:26

hockenheim95

So a Licks Concert on Blu Ray is only a matter of time for me And as padre69 Said, the sound is better on Blu Ray.

Yes, the sound can be better on Blu-ray (lossless Linear PCM) than on DVD (lossy Dolby Digital) - if the sound has not been 'destroyed' by bad mixing/mastering.

But again: picture-wise an SD-BluRay makes little sense.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: October 2, 2021 21:27

hockenheim95
Irix
hockenheim95

You said a Release on Blu Ray "makes little Sense". But they release nearly everything on Blu Ray in the last few years - HD or not. So a Licks Concert on Blu Ray is only a matter of time for me And as padre69 Said, the sound is better on Blu Ray.

The sound is absolutely better in blu-ray. Youn can listen the blu-ray version of Texas Forth Worth concert 78 and compare it to non-blu ray version of the same concert and the difference is mind blowing. Maybe to really notice the full difference you should have sonically a quite good blu-ray player and good sound system. I have a Sony ES-series blu-ray player with separate audio circuits and then the difference is really big anyway.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 2, 2021 21:28

hockenheim95
Irix
hockenheim95

Yes, but also the picture quality IS better. Only if people claim otherwise that doesn't make it right. It's not just about resolution, it's also about compression. It makes a difference if the upscaling happens before compression like on a SD blueray or if the already compressed DVD which has SD resolution gets upscaled by your TV.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-02 21:32 by StonedRambler.

Date: October 2, 2021 21:34

If it happens I just hope they don't mess up the mix again like on the Copacabana release. I won't buy a product sounding like that.

Date: October 2, 2021 21:35

StonedRambler

Yes, but also the picture quality IS better.

Maybe a little bit - like the difference between LPCM and Dolby Digital.

Date: October 3, 2021 20:08

rollingon
The sound is absolutely better in blu-ray. Youn can listen the blu-ray version of Texas Forth Worth concert 78 and compare it to non-blu ray version of the same concert and the difference is mind blowing.
Funny, I thought the same. Normally I can listen to MP3s without a problem but on SG Live in Texas something in the audio compression was bothering me. Listening to it on Spotify is a really unpleasant listening experience for some reason. I decided to buy the Blueray/CD version and was suprised that the CD sounded so much more enjoyable than the compressed audio on Spotify. With other releases it makes not much of a difference but on that one it's really obvious.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 3, 2021 20:50

I would buy the Paris Olympia show on CD in an instant! Killer setlist, killer show...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 3, 2021 20:55

FrogSugar
I would buy the Paris Olympia show on CD in an instant! Killer setlist, killer show...

Yes that was lovely. I haven't tried but must be an easy way to rip that from the DVD.

Date: October 3, 2021 20:55

FrogSugar
Totally! Or the Circus Krone show.

Posted by: andreas ()
Date: October 3, 2021 21:46

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-03 21:46 by andreas.

Posted by: TURB0 ()
Date: October 4, 2021 13:54

Wouldn’t it be possible that the 2003 MSG show was recorded in HD as that was recorded and broadcasted by HBO? According to their wiki page they started broadcasting some of their stuff in HD as early as 1999…

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 4, 2021 13:58

I have seen pictures of a DVD called "Three Flicks" the tongue was red and it was supposed to contain another MSG show from a night before. I've never seen any of that on youtube which is weird when I think about it. Does it actually exist?

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 4, 2021 14:02

Nikkei
I have seen pictures of a DVD called "Three Flicks" the tongue was red and it was supposed to contain another MSG show from a night before. I've never seen any of that on youtube which is weird when I think about it. Does it actually exist?

It's a bootleg set including the 16th Jan 2003 MSG show + the incomplete Toronto warm-up gig.

The 16th January show is on youtube:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 4, 2021 14:07

Good question about the status of a Blu-ray edition. I hope they put one out. But I agree with lrix on the subject of HD Audio. Unfortunately some releases are upscaled poor mastering and mixing. However, I’m a big fan of good sounding HD.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 4, 2021 14:08

Wow thanks I guess I didn't really look for it or at the wrong time

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 4, 2021 14:38

I bought the BR version of Four Flicks a couple of years ago. IMO very good visual and sound quality.

Date: October 4, 2021 14:40

Meise

I bought the BR version of Four Flicks a couple of years ago.

Must have been a Bootleg then?

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 4, 2021 14:48

Irix
Meise

I bought the BR version of Four Flicks a couple of years ago.

Must have been a Bootleg then?

Sorry, I was mistaken. I had "Biggest Bang" BR in my mind. Of course, Four Flicks is on normal DVD format.
Thanks for the hint :-)

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 4, 2021 23:52

treaclefingers
FrogSugar

Yes that was lovely. I haven't tried but must be an easy way to rip that from the DVD.

I downloaded one from somewhere and have the show on mp3...but I'd still like a clean store copy ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home