Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Steve Jordan Reinvigorating the Band
Posted by: cineplexed2 ()
Date: October 1, 2021 17:07

I love Charlie, so much that I cancelled my Pittsburgh tickets rather than seeing the band without him.

But I think I made a terrible mistake. Because the band sounds great and I think they are excited and reinvigorated by Steve’s drumming. Not that they don’t miss Charlie, or wished this turn of events, but given the reality and the desire to keep going, I think them made a fantastic decision.

The Taylor Stones were not the same band, and it’s the same with the Jordan Stones. Charlie’s swing is missed, but Jordan is keeping the flame going and it seem to be burning extra hot. And that is a great thing to see/hear so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-01 17:08 by cineplexed2.

Re: Steve Jordan Reinvigorating the Band
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 1, 2021 17:39

I agree. I've only seen a few clips from Charlotte, but they've been very impressive. The band seems so focused and dedicated in a way that feels really good. This is not a "phone it in" tour so far.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 1, 2021 17:55

Hard to tell from amateur videos. 2/3 of the shows are basically the same warhorses. They play the warhorses in the same manner.
They never jam or improvise so one can argue what difference any drummer can do under such circumstances.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: October 1, 2021 18:01

All I hear from Jordan is bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, and bang. Few fills and change of tone when the mood of the song changes. Mainly noise. But, maybe he will get better.

The new drummer should be auditioned and he should be someone from the UK. Many guitarists were auditioned when Mick Taylor left the band. Why not do the same for the drummer ?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 1, 2021 18:03

Cineplexed2: there's plenty of good tix left for the Pittsburgh in case you still decide to go.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 1, 2021 18:06

cineplexed2
I love Charlie, so much that I cancelled my Pittsburgh tickets rather than seeing the band without him.

But I think I made a terrible mistake. Because the band sounds great and I think they are excited and reinvigorated by Steve’s drumming. Not that they don’t miss Charlie, or wished this turn of events, but given the reality and the desire to keep going, I think them made a fantastic decision.

The Taylor Stones were not the same band, and it’s the same with the Jordan Stones. Charlie’s swing is missed, but Jordan is keeping the flame going and it seem to be burning extra hot. And that is a great thing to see/hear so far.

You're right thumbs up

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 1, 2021 18:06

Please, stay home and watch the videos. But while you're at it, describe Charlie's swing for us.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 1, 2021 18:13

flilflam
All I hear from Jordan is bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, and bang. Few fills and change of tone when the mood of the song changes. Mainly noise. But, maybe he will get better.

The new drummer should be auditioned and he should be someone from the UK. Many guitarists were auditioned when Mick Taylor left the band. Why not do the same for the drummer ?

Should be from the UK? Why limit themselves? Odd comment.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: October 1, 2021 18:20

I miss Charlie too and I think Steve is doing a great job respecting Charlie vs trying to copy him (which I have´t heard anyone believe is possible anyway).

He uses the same back beat playing lifting his right hand. He went from always playing Yamaha to Gretch too. I don´t think they could have made a better choice, also he probably fits in very well outside of the stage too.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 1, 2021 18:42

Steve's a master drummer and no one's a bigger admirer of Charlie than he is so I suspect most of us were not surprised by how well things are going.

He is certainly keeping the flame burning---for whatever time is left for the group.

Musically speaking, this is a fascinating time to be a fan. This band is so flexible and open to their environment that they are all adapting to Steve's presence in a major way. It's changing how Mick is singing and moving, changing how Keith interacts with his guitar (and the band) and pushes the band in a different, new place. Not better than Charlie brought them--just different and different can be cool too.

Either way, things are moving in a great direction. Let's hope they get to all continue to do what they love doing for as long as they can.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 1, 2021 19:04

Justin

Musically speaking, this is a fascinating time to be a fan. This band is so flexible and open to their environment that they are all adapting to Steve's presence in a major way. It's changing how Mick is singing and moving, changing how Keith interacts with his guitar (and the band) and pushes the band in a different, new place. Not better than Charlie brought them--just different and different can be cool too.

Either way, things are moving in a great direction. Let's hope they get to all continue to do what they love doing for as long as they can.

Can't decide if you're postulating or embellishing.

Date: October 1, 2021 19:09

S. Jordan and Darryl Jones are extraordinarie musicians.

No one has doubts about it. They know it, we know it. The deserve all respect.

But come on...Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman are the foundations of sound of the best rocknroll band in the world. Jordan and Jones know it. And we do know it.

We can not compare apples to oranges...

There is not rationale behind these kind of comparisons.

Enjoy Jordan&Jones as much as you can.

Posted by: cineplexed2 ()
Date: October 1, 2021 19:19

emotionalbarbecue
S. Jordan and Darryl Jones are extraordinarie musicians.

No one has doubts about it. They know it, we know it. The deserve all respect.

But come on...Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman are the foundations of sound of the best rocknroll band in the world. Jordan and Jones know it. And we do know it.

We can not compare apples to oranges...

There is not rationale behind these kind of comparisons.

Enjoy Jordan&Jones as much as you can.

Absolutely. But that is not the current reality. We have to accept it or not. The band is accepting it. And I’m not comparing, I’m talking about the current state.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 1, 2021 19:23

Its almost like you can predict the threads that will be here lol.

It was never going to be a question they'd sound great with Steve.

It was also never a question they were going to phone this tour in.

If they were, they wouldn't have done it. I know people saying "they were contracted!" They're the Stones and someone died, they'd have been able to get out of it if they really wanted to. They wanted to tour, before and after Charlie's passing. Its good they're sounding good while doing it. I don't think they're reinvigorated in any way. They sounded fantastic the last several years WITH Charlie. The Stones still tour cause they just plain still sound really good.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: October 1, 2021 19:26

I must say Jordan has surprised me for the good so far. We already knew it wouldn't be the same but on some songs he plays really great, a dfferent feel but sounds fantastic from what I've heard. LSTNT sounded great, LIAGT too...

I guess it's just a matter of time until we get used to it but he is doing a magnificent job IMO

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: October 2, 2021 00:33

Keith's history with Steve is well documented and he has also been involved with Mick and Ronnie in the past as well. Maybe just the fact that they are all comfortable and familiar with him was a big part of the decision. Also, before the tour started Charlie approved of him filling in for him. To me he sounds great. He is staying with the feel of the song but interjecting some of his own personality into them as well. Of course I miss Charlie. His style and personality are not replaceable so I am glad that SJ IS not trying to mimic what he brought to the band.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 2, 2021 00:46

As i predicted Jordan has somehow helped re-engage Keith and also increased the tempo of the shows.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: October 2, 2021 02:00

flilflam

Steve Jordan is very impressive in these two past shows. Playing Charlie's parts well. Even playing a kit very similar to Charlie's to help himself stay on the one and minimal. Lot's of fills and his grooves are spot on. Charlie is unfortunately gone. Steve is their new drummer much like Darryl is their bassist. As much as the Stones would rather have a healthy breathing Charlie, I'm sure they are glad to have Steve. It seems they are enjoying it. You might as well too... enjoy it. Because sooner than later, it will be all over. I'm actually glad they are continuing. Next year will be their 60th. My bet is that they will tour some in Europe. They will not call it a day and just stop all together. They were the Rolling Stones before, during and now are now post Charlie. What do you think?

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 2, 2021 02:06

The magic and unique sound is gone without Charlie.

The current line-up is still good, but I don't get the same buzz from it.

Posted by: klomadag007 ()
Date: October 2, 2021 02:40

I believe Steve Jordan play drums in Dirty Work song: "Too Rude".
So is a longtime fellow not only Keith Richards's, but for
the group. I love Charlie, and I miss him so much,
but this tour is a gift for all of us who love
the band. I think that in only a few months or few years will not
be possible, but today I'm enjoing every video (I can´t travel so far now to see them live)
and I hope next year they will tour in Europe.
I believe also the didn't cancel the shows due to their contract
obligations and their love for his fans, and I can feel
this is hardest for them someway, the most easy choice
should be cancel all tour, but the did not, so I'm grateful the
are still on the road, even without Charlie.
(Sorry, my english is not perfect!)

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 2, 2021 02:44

klomadag007
be possible, but today I'm enjoing every video (I can´t travel so far now to see them live)

No apology necessary.. perfectly said.
Hope to travel to Europe next year to see them there again thumbs up

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: October 2, 2021 02:46

Some great tickets at great prices on TM and Stubhub... GO!.. St Louis was shockingly amazing.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 2, 2021 03:06

I wish people would stop calling it a gift while they are paying 250$ for it

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: October 2, 2021 03:42

very good comments!
For Keith it is a great support that Steve Jordan is in the band !! He is his friend! and in the first show everyone's sadness was very noticeable! it must have been terrible!
Good! Cheers!
Long Live The Rolling Stones !!

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 2, 2021 04:06

klomadag007

smileys with beer

Posted by: Sway65 ()
Date: October 2, 2021 05:39

I'm listening to a rather nice boot of the St. Louis show from 26th September, and I must say I'm surprised and delighted at how good they are sounding. Steve Jordan sounds great and has somehow freshened up their sound. Which is not to say that Charlie will ever be forgotten or replaced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-02 06:29 by Sway65.

Date: October 2, 2021 05:41

After going to two shows.

I don't get the same buzz either.

RaiseTheKnife

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 2, 2021 06:08

georgemcdonnell314
After going to two shows.

I don't get the same buzz either.

RaiseTheKnife

Aside from the magic and unique sound being gone, there's an underlying sadness beneath all the hoopla that's hard to overlook or ignore.
Will still enjoy seeing them once in L.A. - maybe twice - but it will never be the same without Charlie.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 2, 2021 06:16

RaiseTheKnife

That's the thing though. It's a different buzz completely. Different doesn't have to be better--it can be different and still cool. Open yourself to it--Mick and Keith are still there and very (very!) present in the music. It's turned the dynamics of the band completely on its head. Steve isn't perfect on every song but be open to at least one and listen with a new ear. He's definitely making a good percentage of the set work really well. Personally, all the 60's tunes sound phenomenal. A nod to Charlie's original arrangements in a fresh way.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 2, 2021 10:38

I'm not all that versed when it comes to the drums, I'm a guitar guy, but to my ear Steve in being very respectful to Charlie and the band, to my ears it's not that noticeable on most songs that it's not Charlie playing from 20 years ago.

Also they are playing songs like UMT and JJF a bit more like the originals.

It's like they went back to basics, Keith especially and it's really helped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-02 10:40 by Rocktiludrop.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home