Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: Charlotte show live updates - Thursday 30-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: DeadHead4Ever ()
Date: October 1, 2021 06:27

Hairball
Keith's hat...wonder if he has a different color for every stop on the tour?
I'm guessing blue for L.A. and green for Vegas.

I'm going with black for Vegas.

Re: Charlotte show live updates - Thursday 30-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: October 1, 2021 06:33

Tonight they've made another incredibly persuasive argument that they should keep going---it's exhilarating to see.

I was on the fence about seeing them but soon I'll be on a plane...to LA. smileys with beer

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: October 1, 2021 06:39

They sounded great..

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 1, 2021 06:48

Just got back to the hotel. That was really @#$%& good. Gotta go soak my dogs.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 1, 2021 08:15

Too many warhorse numbers.Kick off with Around and Around.Play Come on and Winter.Stop been lazy and coasting on a set that has been similar for too many years.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 1, 2021 08:53

kkhoranstoned
They sounded great..

You're right my friend smileys with beer

Date: October 1, 2021 09:09

I must say after hearing this

[youtu.be]

That there have been some changes at the mixing board and the sound of the drums is better now.

And especially Keith on jumpingjackflash ;-) is playing very well. His timing is great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-01 09:10 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 1, 2021 09:20

Is Keith wearing what the Canadians call a toque?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 1, 2021 09:23

Pretty much! Wonder if he gets them from Roots.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: October 1, 2021 09:32

Setlist and early posted YT videos:

1 CW Intro, Street Fighting Man [youtu.be] Chris Conniff
2 Let's Spend The Night Together [www.youtube.com] (+SFM) Jim Powers
3 Tumbling Dice [youtu.be] Jim Powers
4 19th Nervous Breakdown [youtu.be] Jumping Jack
5 Troubles A' Comin' [youtu.be] Jim Powers
6 Let It Bleed (by request) [youtu.be] m6a6t6t
7 You Can't Always Get What You Want [www.youtube.com] J Wags
8 Living in a Ghost Town [m.youtube.com] DJ Gerry
9 Start Me Up [youtu.be] DJ Gerry
10 Honky Tonk Women [www.youtube.com] J Wags
11 Band Introductions
12 Before They Make Me Run (Keith Richards on lead vocals) [youtu.be] bryan bullock
13 Slipping Away (Keith Richards on lead vocals) [youtu.be] bryan bullock
14 Miss You [youtu.be] Nestor Arango
15 Midnight Rambler [youtu.be] ( + PIB ) Jim Powers
16 Paint It Black [youtu.be] tylorrutyna_
17 Sympathy For The Devil [www.youtube.com] J Wags
18 Jumping Jack Flash [youtu.be] DJ Gerry
Encore:
19 Gimme Shelter [www.youtube.com] (+ Satisfaction) J Wags
20 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction [youtu.be] Josh Daniel

Thanks to all YT uploaders.

Edited 18 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-02 18:19 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: October 1, 2021 09:33

Just got back from Charlotte. I went to the will call window & we got Pit. First time in the Pit & my friend and I were overjoyed to say the least!!!!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 1, 2021 09:40

Green Lady
BFR
This is the first time I’ve regretted deleting my facebook page.

Try clicking link anyway. Sometimes works.

Josh Daniel [www.facebook.com]

Toni Brawley Dotson [www.facebook.com]

Great links! Thanks!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 1, 2021 09:40

There were decades when they didn't play Sympathy. Now you can't get them to stop playing it. Midnight Rambler (my favorite warhorse) wasn't on the setlist for a while. So.........Brown Sugar off the table is really a minor thing.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 1, 2021 10:16

Those Jim Powers vids are fantastic
Nice to see troubles a coming live and perfectly played

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 1, 2021 10:38

Hairball
Great to see Keith and Mick's camaraderie, but a shame they wasted so many years at each other's throats which kind of stifled their collaborative creativity.

Maybe we'll see a newfound explosion of productivity and creativity during these waning years...maybe wishful thinking, but you never know.

Yeah maybe Charlie's death will be the catalyst to finish the album? Book 10 weeks of studio time and leave the sessions with a release-ready product. 12 songs, nothing longer.

Anyway it's funny to see the mood here at IORR has switched from "they should retire" (after St. Louis) to "wow they haven't sounded that good in years"
(now). grinning smiley

Posted by: CrosseyedHeart ()
Date: October 1, 2021 11:32

One of the absolute best shows of the 13 I have seen since 1975. Simply amazing in every way. DO NOT miss them! Yes, I miss Charlie, but I know he would be very happy and proud of his band.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 1, 2021 11:42

CrosseyedHeart
One of the absolute best shows of the 13 I have seen since 1975. Simply amazing in every way. DO NOT miss them! Yes, I miss Charlie, but I know he would be very happy and proud of his band.

Reviews et al I am seeing, it seems to have been one hell of a show. I regret I'm stuck in 'Nam at the moment. Nothing like seeing them at 'home'. I'm still trying to arrange going for the last few shows as long as I can get a guarantee to return lol

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 1, 2021 11:56

I keep scrolling past this woke-stuff. I thought this thread is called "Live updates". So - I just wanted to say that after watching the live feeds: what a fantastic show. I wish I was there. hot smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 1, 2021 12:02

Wow, some people really have issues here, what a friggin' waste of bandwidth, go get help !

Thanks for all the updates, I scroll through the pages in the morning and get a count by count, look at the pics and videos, next best thing to being there ;-)

Jim Powers' videos are great but the sound is a bit lacking, guess he was pretty far away, hopefully a full recording surfaces like for SL so we can hear some of the nuances.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 1, 2021 12:12

The backing vocals could've helped Mick even more for the chorus of "Troubles 'A Comin". Sometimes I really miss Lisa Fischer and how see was not afraid to overpower him.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 1, 2021 12:19

TheBlockbuster
The backing vocals could've helped Mick even more for the chorus of "Troubles 'A Comin". Sometimes I really miss Lisa Fischer and how see was not afraid to overpower him.

I have to agree, Lisa was on another level vocally, it was weird before she left, Mick took Lisa's Gimme Shelter slot away and introduced different celebrities and wannabes to sing it instead, guessed it wouldn't be long before she left after that insult.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2021 12:20

More and more I like the tandem of "Miss You" and "Midnight Rambler" - probably the highlight of the show musically for me. On those two long numbers - in the first by the whole 'big band' and in the second more by core band - they let themselves go, get into groove, jam and the interaction with audience is at its peak. Just by the power of their musicianship and Jagger's work with the audience.

- Doxa

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 1, 2021 12:40

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 1, 2021 13:24

Great to hear so many positive comments ( on what was played! and how well it was played)

And toured ongenuine Mick/ Keith camaraderie.

Keith even now looks cool - soft lemon yellow hat with silk maroon shirt.
Trendsetter!

And Glimmers even look well dress- co-ordinated together.

Twins indeed.

E.

Charlotte - Thursday 30-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 1, 2021 13:31

Review: Mick Jagger puts on astonishing show in Charlotte. Was it the pimento cheese?

Jeff Siner

By Théoden Janes
October 01, 2021

After Mick Jagger showed up at a place in Charlotte where no one was expecting him to be — the Plaza-Midwood dive bar known as the Thirsty Beaver Saloon, on Wednesday night — local Twitter users proceeded to lose their collective minds.

And all he had to do was stand there drinking a beer on the patio. Nothing terribly strenuous.

Then, roughly 24 hours later, when the Rolling Stones’ lead singer showed up at a place in Charlotte where everyone was expecting him to be — Bank of America Stadium on the edge of uptown — the 40,000 or so fans in attendance ... well, they had their minds blown, too.

And all Jagger had to do this time was spend the better part of 2 hours and 12 minutes running and skipping and jumping and hopping and dancing and strutting and waving his arms and clapping and punching the air, while belting out some of the most famous songs in the history of rock and roll music.

At age 78.

This is actually a pretty difficult thing to wrap my head around.

I mean, my dad is 78, and although he still takes a long walk every morning, trying to pull off moves like Jagger for 2 minutes and 12 seconds could very well give him a heart attack.

On top of that, my most recent experiences involving watching rockers in their senior years headline large venues include a November 2019 Spectrum Center show during which a then-72-year-old Elton John barely got up from his piano except to take a bow at the end; and an October 2019 Spectrum Center show during which a then-68-year-old Phil Collins, weakened by a string of physical ailments, crashed to the floor mid-set after tipping over in his chair.

Jagger, meanwhile, seemed over the course of Thursday night to cover every square inch of the massive main stage and the long catwalk that jutted out into the center of the field. I wish I could have strapped a Fitbit on his wrist Thursday night. I’d be willing to bet he got in both his 10,000 steps and Keith Richards’, too.

When my eyes drifted up to the images being projected onto the four vertical video towers to the rear and sides of the stage, sometimes — when my eyes came back down to earth — it would take me a couple seconds to figure out where Jagger had run off to this time.

And as if none of that was enough to convince fans he’s in the shape of a man half his age, he periodically would grab the bottom of his shirt and flap it like he was fanning himself, pulling it up just high enough to give a peek at what appear to (still) be washboard-like abs.

But “Mick Jagger remains almost brain-bogglingly spry and youthful” is just one of the headlines worth pegging to this show.

Another has to do with the fact that, after several false starts, all due to COVID, the Rolling Stones finally bringing their rescheduled “No Filter Tour” to Bank of America Stadium marked the end of a looong concert-less drought for the venue, which hadn’t hosted a standalone music-focused event since June 2012.

Another, albeit a minor one, was that tickets were still showing as available all week through first-hand channels. In other words, the concert wasn’t sold out. Which qualifies as at least a mild surprise. Given that it’s possible the Stones may never be back.

A major storyline, of course, was the absence of longtime drummer Charlie Watts, who died unexpectedly in late August while trying to make a recovery from an unspecified surgical procedure. As many fans know, he had already bowed out of this tour for health reasons, but his passing exponentially increases the air of bittersweetness that hangs over the proceedings.

The show now opens with a montage of video images of Watts that plays to the backbeat of a drum, and it ends 19 songs later with a giant still photograph of Watts — dressed in a suit and tie — looming over the darkened stage.

As it did four nights earlier at the tour kickoff in St. Louis, the band opened with two songs (in Charlotte, those were “Street Fighting Man” and “Let’s Spend the Night Together”) and then broke to pay homage to their late bandmate.

“It was great to see those great images of Charlie up there on the video at the beginning,” Jagger told the crowd, as he and Richards put their arms on each other’s shoulders. “And it always reminds us of all of the times and all the shows that we did together. I’m sure lots of you will have memories of seeing Charlie play as well. And I want to thank you for sharing those things with us, and all the things you’ve said and posted. It’s really great. And this is our first tour without him in 59 years, so we’d like to dedicate this show to Char-LIE!”

Then the Stones launched into the bluesy boogie-woogie classic “Tumbling Dice,” with Steve Jordan — a longtime friend of the band and a member of Richards’ side project the X-Pensive Winos — sitting behind the drum kit. At 64, Jordan is now the baby of the core group of guys, with Richards coming up on 78 himself and guitarist Ronnie Wood clocking in at 74 as of June.

For those keeping score at home, Jagger mentioned Watts by name only one more time all night, when he formally introduced Jordan. He also steered almost entirely clear of the pandemic, save for his quick introduction of 2020’s COVID-inspired “Living in a Ghost Town” as the band’s “lockdown song.”

But he showed off his familiarity with Charlotte — and with the Stones’ history as it pertains to Charlotte — even more often than he showed off his stomach.

After ending “Tumbling Dice” with a funky dance that made him look a little like a rubber-limbed, goofy-faced string bean taunting an imaginary bull, Jagger held his arms above his head and shouted: “Yeah, yeah, YEAH! It’s great to be back here. Home of the Panthers, right? We were the first-ever band to play here, way back in 1997!”

Later, following a 12-minute rendition of “Midnight Rambler” that saw him playing the harmonica, wildly twirling one of his many colorful jackets as if he were going to throw it into the crowd (but then not actually throwing it), and skipping around the stage, the singer announced that the Stones “first came to this lovely city in 1965, at the Charlotte Coliseum.”

The concert poster for that show was briefly displayed on the screens behind the stage. If you were quick enough to catch it, you would have seen that admission prices ranged from $2.50 to $4. Tickets for Thursday night’s show, if purchased at face value, cost anywhere from $65 to $495.

At one point, a Christian McCaffrey jersey made its way onto the stage, and Jagger sized it up by holding it in front of Wood’s chest; at another, after a performance of “Sympathy for the Devil” that featured yet more skipping and yet more jacket-twirling by Jagger, the frontman nodded to the Panthers yet again.

“How you doing, Charlotte? Are you feeling good?” he bellowed. “We’re gonna keep pounding! Keep pounding!”

Oh, and yes, he totally gave the Thirsty Beaver another very big shout-out.

“I went and (saw) a little bit of Charlotte last night,” he said. “A little bit. Not too much. You know, early night for the show. Had a beer at the Thirsty Beaver, and saw a few banker bros. I sucked down some pimento cheese. Mmm.”

Now, I’m realizing I’ve gotten all this way without giving a clear impression of how the Rolling Stones sound these days.

The answer, in short, is ... they sound incredible, all things considered. Just like Jagger doesn’t seem to have lost a step with his moves, both Wood and Richards sound pretty close to as tight as they do on studio recordings that were rendered in wax 40 years ago. If you put a live recording of Jordan’s drum part on, say, “Gimme Shelter” up against an old live recording of Watts doing the same song, I’ll bet you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

And although Jagger might not be able to do falsetto for songs like “Miss You” they way he used to, vocally that’s the only shortcoming I can lay a finger on — and backing vocalist Sasha Allen covers very nicely for him.

Allen, by the way, had a hand in one of the night’s biggest showstopping moments: With just the right amount of swagger, she stepped out of the shadows and onto the catwalk — first by herself and then joined by Jagger — to repeatedly and beautifully wail “Gimme Shelter’s” haunting refrain: “It’s just a shot away / It’s just a shot away...

The biggest headline of all, however, might just be the fact that, after the 457-day wait (this show was originally supposed to take place July 1, 2020), everything fell into place perfectly on Thursday night.

There were no embarrassing production delays, like the one that plagued J. Cole’s concert up in Greensboro Wednesday night and caused him to not go on stage to start his show until 11:40 p.m. I heard no reports of traffic nightmares like the ones you hear about fairly regularly at PNC Music Pavilion in north Charlotte. There was no threat of rain.

In fact, the weather was so perfect that I almost didn’t notice the weather. There was barely any breeze, the humidity was far lower than normal, and the air temperature was so ideal that at moments I forgot I was even outdoors.

As a result, I was able to fully focus my attention on enjoying a night with the Rolling Stones.

And yes, absolutely — even as the guys push their way deeper into their 70s, they are still worth paying close attention to, still well worth buying tickets to see.

It remains to be seen whether the band will make its way back here again before it’s, um, too late.

But if they’re up for another go-around, so am I.

[www.charlotteobserver.com]

Date: October 1, 2021 13:35

Jeff Siner

Jeff Siner

Date: October 1, 2021 13:36

Jeff Siner

Jeff Siner

Date: October 1, 2021 13:40

Jeff Siner

Jeff Siner

Date: October 1, 2021 13:43

Jeff Siner

Jeff Siner

Date: October 1, 2021 13:45

Jeff Siner

Jeff Siner

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1488
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home