Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Better Records selected premium vinyls for the Rolling Stones?
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 30, 2021 14:01

[better-records.com]

Have you any experience from that quite specialized store?

Re: Better Records selected premium vinyls for the Rolling Stones?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 30, 2021 15:37

Only spend this kind of money on a record if you've either heard it and been blown away...or if you'd just as happily bet that same amount on a horse !

Many so called "audiophile" or otherwise fancy pressings can be musically very poor and unrewarding.

It's the mastering that counts ....and there's not much benefit in "quiet vinyl" for a Rolling Stones record winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2021 03:09

Is this some kind of gimmick? Where is the information on why each slab of vinyl they're highlighting is special? No matrix numbers, nothing I can see that justifies the high price other than they say how great it is.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: October 1, 2021 09:50

Their work is based on something Collectors do know well: big differences between vinyl and vinyl, in terms of sound quality.
Wash all you records, keep them clean from dust and listen to them and you'll notice a lot of difference. The best example that comes to mind are the US London albums. Allied pressings, do not sound like pressing by Monarch and they both do not sound like those by Columbia.
If one Collector is after sound quality, he can't avoid getting all the London LPs pressed by Columbia, by definition. Columbia did not accept metal parts from external suppliers; just tapes. Then, they had their own treatment of the tapes when making metal parts and this can be clearly heard when listening to 'Aftermath', just to name one.
That said, I don't think that such high prices are to be paid, actually, even if - sometimes - their prices are not too higher respect a MINT/ MINT copy of 'Their Satanic Majesties Request', in particular. On top of that, it's also to be said that it all depends on the equipment one uses to listen to these said-to-be fabulous sounding albums. Bye, Luca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-01 10:01 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 1, 2021 15:30

Yes some pressinngs can be much better sounding than others anf I certainly have my favourites..

...but a lot of folks who spend a fortune on fancy pressings would do better to buy themselves a decent turntable, which can make a far bigger difference.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2021 16:08

Well all I'm saying is that there justifying the high price is that it 'sounds good'. So that is relative and if it's just a matter of it being a cleaner copy that's fine, you get that info with EBAY or Discogs too.

But I understood this to be 'better vinyl', a better pressing, or something and I don't see that info anywhere...so this doesn't make it any better than getting that M/NM copy of a DECCA TSMR.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home