Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Troubles A’. Comin’
Date: October 1, 2021 12:06

gotdablouse
ironbelly
drewmaster
Very nice, especially those harmony backing vocals, which remind me of "Through the Lonely Nights".

Is that Taylor on lead guitar?

Drew
The base track was recorded in 1979. So Taylor is on lead for sure winking smiley

It's assumed it's from 1979 because it first leaked with ER material but it's not something we know for sure, I don't think anyone's seen studio logs for instance. It could have been an earlier recording they pulled out for the ER sessions to work on it again, like they did in Rotterdam in 1975. "Munich Reggae" and "Let's Do It Right" were also part of some ER leaks. After all the original song is from 1970 !

The drums and guitars reek of Pathe Marconi, though.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 1, 2021 12:10

Troubles A' Comin - Live in Charlotte, 30-Sep-2021:

[www.YouTube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-01 12:30 by Irix.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2021 12:31

Damn, that was a great live version! Cool guitars by Ronnie and Keith and Mick sings wonderfully. It was fresh and they did sound fresh. Thanks, Irix!

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2021 13:05

Seemingly I have not said anything about the officially released version yet. But now I do: simply wonderful! I really liked the 'original' version with Mick's minimalist vocals, but this one is truely finished business. A bit slowed down (?) backing track is groovy like a hell, and both Mick and Ronnie have done an awesome recent contribution. Something incredibly catchy and sexy there.. Just like a, just like a Rolling Stones should!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-01 13:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: October 1, 2021 13:28

I listened to both the new and the old one a couple of times now and.. they did a good job. The Whoo hoo choir, the guitar work..love that part. The contrast between the old version, where Mick sings in his laid back, nonchalant voice and the new one where it almost sounds like he's reading the lyrics from an autocue is just so big. But i'm not sure it that's due to the sloppy demo or the clean, polished new one.

But altogether, I like the song. And i'm quite surprised that it's in the setlist. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the Tattoo You 'outtakes'.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 1, 2021 13:41

Thank.you very much ProfessorWolf for posting the original.

Not a great song. Not surprised they left it in the can. Charlie good though.

Will 'go compare' but still wondering if it from '73 iorr originally.
No obvious Taylor though ( nor on Drift Away however).

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 1, 2021 14:05

Doxa
Damn, that was a great live version! Cool guitars by Ronnie and Keith and Mick sings wonderfully. It was fresh and they did sound fresh. Thanks, Irix!

- Doxa

same thought. Really like the finished work on the outtake, really like this rough soul live version, rough a bit too much at moments as it was a premier, but really grooving, i like it a lot!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 1, 2021 20:35

Mick Jagger on The Rolling Stones releasing "Troubles A’ Comin" - Interview by Zane Lowe of Apple Music - [Music.Apple.com] - (12m:34s).

Posted by: Maya0104 ()
Date: October 1, 2021 20:48

Hey guys,

Did anyone record mp3 of this interview?
Or can do so and share?

Thanks a lot!

Posted by: gavin95 ()
Date: October 1, 2021 20:48

Irix
Mick Jagger on The Rolling Stones releasing "Troubles A’ Comin" - Interview by Zane Lowe of Apple Music - [Music.Apple.com] - (12m:34s).

Thank you for this!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 1, 2021 21:20

The Mick interview with Zane Lowe deserves a STICKY

Wonderful stuff... insightful and
Mick brave to speak openly of Charlie ....

Thanks Irix ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: October 1, 2021 21:30

The woo hoo vocal sounds like a subtle mix of tumbling dice and SFTD chants

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: October 2, 2021 07:07

Rockman
The Mick interview with Zane Lowe deserves a STICKY

Wonderful stuff... insightful and
Mick brave to speak openly of Charlie ....

Thanks Irix ...

Yep, this is a short interview, but a very good one. Nice to hear Mick speak appreciatively and humbly of the fans. I love what Zane said at the end, too. We’re all just following them, following their hearts.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 2, 2021 10:13

It's not on Keno's site, but Living in a Ghost Town is. Did it have a different name when originally recorded?

Date: October 2, 2021 13:26

Ok, have listened to both now.

Far, far prefer the original. It has more natural life to it.
Jingly piano in to the fore.
Tight rhythm section to the fore.
And Jaggers' vocals too.

He's following his own 60s 'guideline' that the words should not be cristal clear so that you can understand every word - not clearly enunciated. A more nuanced approach.

The tarted up version - vocals too clean and clear.
Woo Hoo s - silly and unnecessary.
Ron's lead ( which does to some extent follow a lead guitar present in the original) is just too dominant.

If this is being released as a single ...... well, hardly hit material.

But Hats off to them for playing it live. Will check that out again.

Chi-Litrs were hardly in vogue in '79, whereas they were in the early-mid seventies, so this lends more support to an earlier genesis, as Doxa reasoned.

Edit: Yeah, Live version great - very brave, hats off ( except Keith's)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-03 17:27 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 2, 2021 15:04

Doxa
gotdablouse
ironbelly
drewmaster
Very nice, especially those harmony backing vocals, which remind me of "Through the Lonely Nights".

Is that Taylor on lead guitar?

Drew
The base track was recorded in 1979. So Taylor is on lead for sure winking smiley

It's assumed it's from 1979 because it first leaked with ER material but it's not something we know for sure, I don't think anyone's seen studio logs for instance. It could have been an earlier recording they pulled out for the ER sessions to work on it again, like they did in Rotterdam in 1975. "Munich Reggae" and "Let's Do It Right" were also part of some ER leaks. After all the original song is from 1970 !

This is a good point. We really don't know (or we 'know' if we just take the known facts as granted and all the interpretation is based on them; nothing else matters). During the "IORR sessions" they made a few cover songs (the idea initially was to make a half side of the album consisting of soul and R&B covers to go with the live cuts on the other side), so who knows if "Trouble" was originally one of them. Like "Drift Away" and "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" (somehow it suits to IORR sessions better than to ER ones - to think what the band was like and up to at the given time).

- Doxa

Yeah and it could also have helped "influence" "Crazy Mama" that has a groove reminiscent of TAC.

I didn't remember that story about an LP with covers on one side and live cuts on the other one, apparently it was mentioned in Uncut magazine and even announced officially by the Stones. I can't see a source for that other than a poster's recollection on IORR though.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 2, 2021 18:29

And also have heard the original Chi-litrsversion. 1970. It's on YouTube ( sorry, can't do link). An álbum track.

It's strength is in the vocals, their build-up and harmonies.
The pushing Motown beat too.

And there is a whoo - hoo!

But their song is upbeat. The Stones one just drags. Doesn't suit Jagger. Or he doesn't suit it.

Just a strange choice. The piano - Stones - makes me think it is Nicky - so not ER sessions? He was very much there for'73 sessions.

Not sure who played piano at ER sessions without looking at sleeve notes.
If it is from there Mick might have been seeking another Mowrown cover following the success of Imagination on SG.

But for me, for now, it fits better into IORR sessions.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 2, 2021 19:12

Can't say I like this one much, but pleased that they are playing something different.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 2, 2021 19:18

Green Lady
Can't say I like this one much, but pleased that they are playing something different.

Emphasis on "something"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home