Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Reasons the Stones have lasted so long…
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 29, 2021 22:17

Doxa
Rocktiludrop
Lady Jayne
Rocktiludrop
Another reason they last so long is Mick's inability to be embarrassed by singing Miss You and Satisfaction for the Zillionth time so far into old age.

Why should he be embarrassed?

As much as we love them don't you think sometimes if you take a step back it's a bit comical seeing an old man hop and skip along trying to resemble youth, every so often I see it awkwardly because of how he presents it.
You see Roger Daltry concentrate on a great vocal and it just seems more honest, I just wish Mick spent less time and energy struggling with covering the catwalks and just concentrated on the band and the vocals.

On a bunch of songs the other night Mick's voice was so wanting, he always ends up stretching himself and then we get cancelled shows when he loses his voice.

Sorry but you did ask.

Funny to think of it.. One main reason why the Stones have lasted so long and still is such a huge concert draw is that Mick does not act the way you wished him to do... Probably - to quote a more insightful dude - 'not growing up gracefully' is not for your conservative taste?

- Doxa

All things considered i wouldn't change Mick for anyone as a performer, he's still the man, he reminds me I'm not old when i watch him onstage, ( because i realise i can be in that condition, it's possible) you missed the point though, if you really think about it, it's embarrassing and funny for an old man to do what he does. I like funny, I especially like embarrassing.

He made me laugh in a good way in 81' with his silly clothes and faces, and today it's a wry grin because I know he's trying to be young.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-29 22:43 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: September 29, 2021 22:30

saltoftheearth
chicks & money

Now we have it, in three words and it's still the same today.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 29, 2021 22:46

rollmops
For lot of people going to a Stones show is like something they want to do once. They probably want to go see the Niagara Falls, Mona Lisa, the Effel Tower, the Pyramids etc... The Stone's have reached that amazing and strange status for a little blues band from London.
Rockandroll,
Mops

And yet I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone at a Stones gig (since 1998) who either hasn't been before or, if it was their first time, wasn't already saying they planned to come again. I'd love to know the stats but my impression is they have a high ratio of repeat business, certainly in Europe.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 29, 2021 23:03

Agree with those who believe Jagger would be a better singer/performer if he was kept on a leash.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 29, 2021 23:12

First of all, I don't see Mick as a 78 year old man up on that stage....and THAT is one big reason the Stones have survived. When he " moves like Jagger", that is Mick being Mick, not attempting to look 28...if he didn't skip and move about the way he does, there would be those who would say " he's LOST IT, he's feeling his oats!". He naturally pulls it off because he does it so easily. Does he get winded at times...of course, but it's NOT what you focus on.
Second point, I disagree that luck has played a big part in their lasting success. Maybe in the very beginning it was lucky they got Bill to join & then Charlie but luck doesn't keep you relevant for almost 60 years...tremendous talent, VISION, and love for what they do. Others have said it before me but the truth is, performing is their drug...especially for Mick & Keith. It is the driving force...they NEED to perform live. They put their souls into what they do...and to sound THAT GOOD after 59 years...well, that's not luck, that's a bit of genius with a touch of magic tossed in for good measure!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 30, 2021 01:56

I agree with you 100%, THE WORST! Jagger is the glue, he is the most disciplined man on the planet. No Mick, no Stones...such an obvious thing to say...he has applied himself, every single day, to maintaining his health, he stays in shape through a lot of hard work...that's why I'm not in agreement with those who say the Stones were LUCKY...yeah, they were LUCKY to have Mick as their frontman!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 30, 2021 02:24

wonderboy
Agree with those who believe Jagger would be a better singer/performer if he was kept on a leash.

What a pathetic and condescending comment.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2021 02:29

Be alright if it was a black
leather.. diamond studded 250 metre leash .....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 30, 2021 02:30

Rocktiludrop
Doxa
Rocktiludrop
Lady Jayne
Rocktiludrop
Another reason they last so long is Mick's inability to be embarrassed by singing Miss You and Satisfaction for the Zillionth time so far into old age.

As much as we love them don't you think sometimes if you take a step back it's a bit comical seeing an old man hop and skip along trying to resemble youth, every so often I see it awkwardly because of how he presents it.
You see Roger Daltry concentrate on a great vocal and it just seems more honest, I just wish Mick spent less time and energy struggling with covering the catwalks and just concentrated on the band and the vocals.

On a bunch of songs the other night Mick's voice was so wanting, he always ends up stretching himself and then we get cancelled shows when he loses his voice.

Sorry but you did ask.

Funny to think of it.. One main reason why the Stones have lasted so long and still is such a huge concert draw is that Mick does not act the way you wished him to do... Probably - to quote a more insightful dude - 'not growing up gracefully' is not for your conservative taste?

- Doxa

All things considered i wouldn't change Mick for anyone as a performer, he's still the man, he reminds me I'm not old when i watch him onstage, ( because i realise i can be in that condition, it's possible) you missed the point though, if you really think about it, it's embarrassing and funny for an old man to do what he does. I like funny, I especially like embarrassing.

He made me laugh in a good way in 81' with his silly clothes and faces, and today it's a wry grin because I know he's trying to be young.

I'm pretty relieved he doesn't care what you think.

Instead of RocktilUdrop your handle could more accurately be:

Rocktilmiddleageslowsyoudownandremovesthatyouthfulvigourandjustcurlupandgotosleep

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 30, 2021 05:30

This is such a good, thought provoking thread. I'm surprised that it hasn't been thought up before (maybe it has in a different form and I missed it).

Anyway, a lot of the prior posts hit on some great insights and perspectives on reasons why the Stones have lasted so long.

Without getting into a long dissertation on the subject, I'm going to attempt to keep it simple:

the personalities/chemistry
talent
ambition
right time and place (and luck)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-30 06:00 by Sighunt.

Date: September 30, 2021 10:43

treaclefingers
Rocktiludrop
Doxa
Rocktiludrop
Lady Jayne
Rocktiludrop

Sorry but you did ask.

- Doxa

Rocktilmiddleageslowsyoudownandremovesthatyouthfulvigourandjustcurlupandgotosleep

That's hardly true, at 56 I'm every bit as fit as Mick was at my age, I did 14 Marathons in 14 days last year. I could drink Mick and Keith under the table too at any age, nothing old about me you slimy creep.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 30, 2021 10:58

georgie48
RobertJohnson
They are all such lousy musicians that they should not be allowed to join any other band. tongue sticking out smiley

But they were ...

Keith ... Expensive Winos, New Barabarians, Dirty Mac, ...
Mick ... Super Heavy, Red Devils, ...
Ronnie ... before he joined the Stones (Birds, Faces, ...), after ... New Barbarians, ...
Charlie ... Tentet, Combo, Orchestre, Alexis Korner, ...
Bill ... Rhythm Kings, ...
Mick T. ... John Mayall & Bluesbreakers, ...
Brian ... he started it all (we should blame him for still having to live with the Rolling Stones live ?)
Ian ... Rocket 88, ...

The Rolling Stones ... man, what a worthless, lousy band, but what would I do without them. Long live The Rolling Stones ...smileys with beer

I have only quoted the band itself: When Mick started his solo projects in the 80s, he said that he finally wanted to work with real musicians. Whereupon Charlie said: Great, then we can work together with a real singer. A real Charlie move ...

Date: September 30, 2021 11:19

RobertJohnson
georgie48
RobertJohnson
They are all such lousy musicians that they should not be allowed to join any other band. tongue sticking out smiley

But they were ...

Ronnie ... before he joined the Stones (Birds, Faces, ...), after ... New Barbarians, ...
Brian ... he started it all (we should blame him for still having to live with the Rolling Stones live ?)
Ian ... Rocket 88, ...

The Rolling Stones ... man, what a worthless, lousy band, but what would I do without them. Long live The Rolling Stones ...smileys with beer

I have only quoted the band itself: When Mick started his solo projects in the 80s, he said that he finally wanted to work with real musicians. Whereupon Charlie said: Great, then we can work together with a real singer. A real Charlie move ...

Well how did that go for Mick ??

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 30, 2021 13:14

Longevity and productivity are invers proportional
Look the Who and the Stones. As much as they long, less new music they release

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 30, 2021 14:30

mickschix
First of all, I don't see Mick as a 78 year old man up on that stage....and THAT is one big reason the Stones have survived. When he " moves like Jagger", that is Mick being Mick, not attempting to look 28...if he didn't skip and move about the way he does, there would be those who would say " he's LOST IT, he's feeling his oats!". He naturally pulls it off because he does it so easily. Does he get winded at times...of course, but it's NOT what you focus on.
Second point, I disagree that luck has played a big part in their lasting success. Maybe in the very beginning it was lucky they got Bill to join & then Charlie but luck doesn't keep you relevant for almost 60 years...tremendous talent, VISION, and love for what they do. Others have said it before me but the truth is, performing is their drug...especially for Mick & Keith. It is the driving force...they NEED to perform live. They put their souls into what they do...and to sound THAT GOOD after 59 years...well, that's not luck, that's a bit of genius with a touch of magic tossed in for good measure!

Maybe they were lucky in the sense that Keith survived 70s alive... Mick has said he was very worried about Keith sometimes. Not just for the drugs in itself but when Keith was driving car under the influence of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-30 14:31 by rollingon.

Date: September 30, 2021 14:34

I was laughing a little bit the other day when I was watching on Youtube some old tv-documentary about the Steel Wheels tour and some reporters made a big issue about their age then! In 1989, think about that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-30 14:35 by rollingon.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 30, 2021 14:38

rollingon
mickschix

Maybe they were lucky in the sense that Keith survived 70s alive... Mick has said he was very worried about Keith sometimes. Not just for the drugs in itself but when Keith was driving car under the influence of them.

Exactly. Sheer drive, hard work and professionalism has been a major factor in their longevity, particularly as it pertains to Mick's enduring ability to remain the most celebrated frontman in the world. But Keith was lucky to survive the 70's and had he not, it would have been a different story.

Date: September 30, 2021 14:43

treaclefingers
Laughter joy and loneliness and sex and sex and sex and sex.

smileys with beer

Date: September 30, 2021 14:47

Doxa
Rocktiludrop
Lady Jayne
Rocktiludrop

Sorry but you did ask.

- Doxa

Yes, I agree 100%.

The way Mick performs is a big attraction factor for the major part of the audience.

Date: September 30, 2021 15:09

Doxa
Rocktiludrop
Lady Jayne
Rocktiludrop

Sorry but you did ask.

- Doxa

It also depends on what one's perception of "gracefully" is, certainly in a Rolling Stones context.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-30 15:11 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: September 30, 2021 18:20

Rocktiludrop
treaclefingers
Rocktiludrop
Doxa
Rocktiludrop
Lady Jayne
Rocktiludrop

Sorry but you did ask.

- Doxa

That's hardly true, at 56 I'm every bit as fit as Mick was at my age, I did 14 Marathons in 14 days last year. I could drink Mick and Keith under the table too at any age, nothing old about me you slimy creep.

LOL such an amazing come back!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-01 03:02 by treaclefingers.

Date: September 30, 2021 18:23

RobertJohnson
georgie48
RobertJohnson

But they were ...

Ian ... Rocket 88, ...

That's hilarious, thanks for clarifying!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 30, 2021 18:40

I can't

figure out

who said

what or

who said

the other

thing ...

what ?

what ?

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: September 30, 2021 19:44

Who cares!

I can think of a dozen reasons, and some people here will disagree with, and make insulting comments about, nearly all of them. Fact is there are loads and loads of reasons. Some straightforward enough, some unusual, some contradictory, some plain weird. The very reason some people go see them are the reasons others will never again go to see them. Sadly, I know a few people who go out of a kind of condescending curiosity to see if the band can still stand upright. And before anyone thinks I support that idea, I most certainly do not.

I won't be going this time. A lot of this is my own age and general health. But even if I was 100% okay I would probably not go anyway. For me enough is enough. One tour too many, one death too many, one founder member not present too many. But that is my own private opinion. I would never push it to anyone else.

I will however continue to buy their albums - new, reissued, from the vault, group , solo, official, non-official, or whatever. They are still my favourite band of all time. They are still the golden thread that connect all parts of my life, from the 11 year old semi-child of 1962 to the 70 year old pensioner of 2021. Every time I hear a new live recording, a YouTube clip I had not seen or heard before, an anniversary deluxe reissue, a bootleg from somewhere way back when, my pulse quickens, my heart leaps, my fingers itch to get hold of it, own it, obtain it, play it over and over, and I thank God I have always been, and always will be, a fan of The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in The World

I'm blessed!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 30, 2021 20:37

GerardHennessy
Who cares!

I can think of a dozen reasons, and some people here will disagree with, and make insulting comments about, nearly all of them. Fact is there are loads and loads of reasons. Some straightforward enough, some unusual, some contradictory, some plain weird. The very reason some people go see them are the reasons others will never again go to see them. Sadly, I know a few people who go out of a kind of condescending curiosity to see if the band can still stand upright. And before anyone thinks I support that idea, I most certainly do not.

I won't be going this time. A lot of this is my own age and general health. But even if I was 100% okay I would probably not go anyway. For me enough is enough. One tour too many, one death too many, one founder member not present too many. But that is my own private opinion. I would never push it to anyone else.

I will however continue to buy their albums - new, reissued, from the vault, group , solo, official, non-official, or whatever. They are still my favourite band of all time. They are still the golden thread that connect all parts of my life, from the 11 year old semi-child of 1962 to the 70 year old pensioner of 2021. Every time I hear a new live recording, a YouTube clip I had not seen or heard before, an anniversary deluxe reissue, a bootleg from somewhere way back when, my pulse quickens, my heart leaps, my fingers itch to get hold of it, own it, obtain it, play it over and over, and I thank God I have always been, and always will be, a fan of The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in The World

I'm blessed!

Oh yes you are blessed! And so am I (and in fact all die-hard Rolling Stones fans. I'm with you on most you wrote, but one aspect I dare to challange you.
Even though I am three years your senior, I wil still go and see the band during the next possible opportunity, even if somebody has to carry me along. Mick and Keith have been part of my life for almost 58 years and even Ronnie (who beat Bill there) is there 47 years! Some of my dear Stones fan friends didn't make it to 50, passed away 10, 15, 20 years ago. I shared concerts with them all those many years ago. They were blessed too, but for too short a time.
To me, sharing only a few hours with with Mick, Keith and Ronnie would be like being injected with the highest quality of life energy one can think of. Exchanging glances, see them enjoy themselves, all those fans around me on top of their clouds, what more can you wish for. I admit, seeing Mick looking very tired while performing in London's Twickenham in 2018 scared the sh*t out if me. Luckily he was in time discovering the cause of it and they took care if him in 2019. Apart from that, only sheer joy!
I can't judge about your health, but if there would be small chance to deal with it, go see them, man.
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2021 01:59

Rocktiludrop

Oh man, that's impressive. A true Macho Man (Village People) or a Superman (Nietzsche). Just the reference to John Holmes is missing. But you, Riffie, were the guy who once here declared that you were upset (shocked?) back in the 80's that Mick Jagger is a homo sexual, and what the hell your friends were thinking about that. It must be hard for a straight, conservative dude like you to be a Rolling Stones fan... Mick Jagger surely have made your life miserable (I wonder if does your deep, unconditional - just for a man to a man - love for Keith Richards can even compensate that?) Well, your countless (Mick bashing) posts here is a pretty good testimony of that.... I guess we all need our therapy somehow ('We all need someone we can bleed on...')

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-01 03:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 1, 2021 02:28

ROCKMAN

Date: October 1, 2021 02:59

Doxa
Rocktiludrop

Oh man, that's impressive. A true Macho Man (Village People) or a Superman (Nietzsche). Just the reference to John Holmes is missing. But you, Riffie, were the guy who once here declared that you were upset (shocked?) back in the 80's that Mick Jagger is a homo sexual, and what the hell your friends were thinking about that. It must be hard for a straight, conservative dude like you to be a Rolling Stones fan... Mick Jagger surely have made your life miserable (I wonder if does your deep, unconditional - just for a man to a man - love for Keith Richards can even compensate that?)

- Doxa

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 1, 2021 05:40

Date: October 1, 2021 07:44

mosthigh

That's about right, per show.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home