Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimme Shelter - guitar intro - impossible live?
Posted by: reggiepv ()
Date: September 27, 2021 16:35

I love the intricate guitar intro to Gimme Shelter so much. But was that only possible as a studio creation? Could it be done live? (I've attended concerts and heard it live, I've watched videos of live performances, I haven't heard it the same as the original recording)

Re: Gimme Shelter - guitar intro - impossible live?
Date: September 27, 2021 16:40

reggiepv
I love the intricate guitar intro to Gimme Shelter so much. But was that only possible as a studio creation? Could it be done live? (I've attended concerts and heard it live, I've watched videos of live performances, I haven't heard it the same as the original recording)

It's a different tuning than what Keith is using live.

However, he did play it a bit different with the Winos, including a note that's on the studio version. Check it out here: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 27, 2021 17:11

There are videos of random people doing in their bedrooms on YouTube. It's certainly possible.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:01

Keith Richards changed how he played the intro a long time ago.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 27, 2021 21:46

It’s not intricate

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 27, 2021 22:40

In fact is very essy to play

Date: September 27, 2021 23:42

Send It To me
There are videos of random people doing in their bedrooms on YouTube. It's certainly possible.

If you tune the guitar differently, yes indeed.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 28, 2021 01:08

A lot of Keith's studio stuff is lightyning in a bottle. 36 straight hours and getting it perfect for the record and the next day he couldn't tell you where he put his fingers. Perspiration and inspiration.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: September 28, 2021 08:40

Does or did KR use a guitar tuned in open-E live over the last tours? I guess he did when recording Gimme Shelter in the studio. The song can also be played in open-G, capoed on 2nd fret, no? Micawber or Sonny come to mind.

cheers, fillmore

Date: September 28, 2021 09:33

Fillmore
Does or did KR use a guitar tuned in open-E live over the last tours? I guess he did when recording Gimme Shelter in the studio. The song can also be played in open-G, capoed on 2nd fret, no? Micawber or Sonny come to mind.

cheers, fillmore

Open E or D (most likely the latter). You'll lose something in open G, so it won't be the same. You can play it very similar to the original in standard tuning, but you'll have to play the chords/riffs in a different formation (more like Keith does in the Winos-video posted above).

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 28, 2021 12:09

Playing wise it could be done rather easily, recreating the subtle production side of it would probably be a waste of time in a stadium environment.

For all the talk of it's creation and supposed layers etc, it is actually only 1 guitar playing chords/partial chords in open E and one playing lead in standard tuning.

It's a perfect example of Keith's mastery of musical subtlety and simplicity. smoking smiley

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: September 28, 2021 13:00

The closest I have experienced this live (to the original recording) was when I saw the Counterfeit Stones a couple of years ago. They were magnificent.

Obviously it is easier in a small hall rather than a 60,000 seater stadium!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 28, 2021 19:01

mattstones
The closest I have experienced this live (to the original recording) was when I saw the Counterfeit Stones a couple of years ago. They were magnificent.

Obviously it is easier in a small hall rather than a 60,000 seater stadium!

Here's the counterfeit stones

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 29, 2021 00:54

wonderboy
A lot of Keith's studio stuff is lightyning in a bottle. 36 straight hours and getting it perfect for the record and the next day he couldn't tell you where he put his fingers. Perspiration and inspiration.

I think a lot of great material is like this.
Guys like Neil young record almost everything to get that lightening in a bottle.
It’s bizarre what a red recording light does to your playing...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 29, 2021 03:14

KeithNacho
In fact is very essy to play

Ha yes, but not quite as easy to sayspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home