Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ISO: Nicky Hopkins Rolling Stones Discography
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 27, 2021 14:43

I am trying to get a list of every Rolling Stones song Nicky Hopkins played.

Below is all I could find online.

Please add to the list.

ISO: Nicky Hopkins Rolling Stones Discography

NICKY HOPKINS DISCOGRAPHY HIGHLIGHTS

ROLLING STONES, Between The Buttons, Decca/London
ROLLING STONES, Their Satanic Majesties Request, Decca/London
ROLLING STONES, Beggar’s Banquet, Decca/London
ROLLING STONES, Let It Bleed, Decca/London

ROLLING STONES, Sticky Fingers, Rolling Stones Records
NICKY HOPKINS, Jamming With Edward, Rolling Stones Records
ROLLING STONES, Exile On Main Street, Rolling Stones Records
ROLLING STONES, Goat’s Head Soup, Rolling Stones Records
ROLLING STONES, It’s Only Rock’n’Roll, Rolling Stones Records
ROLLING STONES, Black & Blue, Rolling Stones Records

ROLLING STONES, Tattoo You, Rolling Stones Records

ROLLING STONES, 2000 Light Years/She’s A Rainbow, Decca/London
ROLLING STONES, Jumpin’ Jack Flash, Decca/London
ROLLING STONES, Tumbling Dice, Rolling Stones
ROLLING STONES, Angie, Rolling Stones

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.nickyhopkins.com]

Re: ISO: Nicky Hopkins Rolling Stones Discography
Date: September 27, 2021 14:59

It's not confirmed that he is on Between The Buttons, methinks (rumoured to be on Cool, Calm And Collected and Something Happened To Me Yesterday).

If memory serves, there were statements from Nicky himself denying he was on those tracks. My memory isn't what it used to be. Phil, or others, can you elaborate?

Date: September 27, 2021 17:20

Nicky Hopkins at The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus
December 12, 1968

Date: September 27, 2021 17:23

The Stones at Olympic Studios, 1968
L-R: Bill Wyman, Mick Jagger (back to us), Nicky Hopkins, Charlie Watts

Date: September 27, 2021 17:36

Please note “Thanks Nicky” in red and inside of a heart.

Date: September 27, 2021 17:54

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 28, 2021 11:53

Nicky most likely doesn't play on any available Between The Buttons (August - December 1966) era recording. It is often claimed he plays on Cool, Calm, Collected, but that was recorded entirely at RCA Studios in Los Angeles in August 1966 without Nicky.

Nicky's first appearance on a Rolling Stones release is We Love You, but he was most likely attending Rolling Stones sessions by circa February 1967 and I think this is where the confusion comes from. There's not much difference between November/December 1966 and February 1967 when people think back and try to remember stuff. Nicky himself adds to the confusion by saying once in 80's or 90's that he played on Let's Spend The Night Together. grinning smiley

In February 1967 Nicky also played piano, organ and harpsichord during Brian's Mord Und Totschlag/A Degree of Murder soundtrack sessions. These sessions are often dated as being in September 1966, but that is most definitely incorrect.

It's really obvious when Nicky is playing and that distinctive Nicky Hopkins sound and playing isn't on anything by The Rolling Stones until We Love You.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 12:42 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 28, 2021 12:20

Why people do not use Nico's site? Everything is there.
[www.nzentgraf.de]
Just open the year and search on page for Nicky Hopkins.

Date: September 28, 2021 12:28

Who says we don't smiling smiley

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 28, 2021 13:37

Here is a nice piece of music from Nicky Hopkins.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: September 28, 2021 15:41

According to his biography, he actually played on Between The Buttons. Nearly two pages are dedicated to this session, in November 1966. Apart from this, it's a very good book. Bye, Luca

PS the book also gives his complete discography

Date: September 28, 2021 15:59

Here is the answer in one place: http://rocksoff.org/nicky-sessions.htm soon with three more from the upcoming Tattoo You anniversary edition From the upcoming Tattoo You at 40 you have: “Living in the heart of love”, "Drift Away" and "Fast Talking Slow Walking" are with Nicky Hopkins too.

There you’ll find not only Nicky with the Rolling Stones, also solo albums by Ronnie Wood, Bill Wyman, unreleased Brian Jones and more, singles are only included when they didn’t make it on the albums

Also released albums with members of the Stones and Nicky, like Ronnie on bass with the Jeff beck Group feat Nicky, Nicky on "Come Home Baby" with P. P. Arnold and Rod Stewart. (Produced by Mick Jagger on Immediate Records, with Ronnie Wood on guitar, Keith Richards on bass, Nicky Hopkins on electric piano, Keith Emerson on Hammond organ and the Georgie Fame Brass Section), Keith West, Santa Barbera Machine Head featuring Ronnie Wood. Majic Ship with Nicky and Mick Taylor, Adam Bomb again with Nicky and Mick and muuuuch more.

Once you’re there check Nicky solo discography as Mick Taylor is on Nicky’s second album “The Tin Man was a dreamer” providing really great solos

BTW… The Nicky Hopkins official Twitter account is promoting this thread, check it out here [twitter.com]

Date: September 28, 2021 16:08

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Here is the answer in one place

'Piano' on Yesterday's Paper eye rolling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 28, 2021 16:46

1963luca0
According to his biography, he actually played on Between The Buttons. Nearly two pages are dedicated to this session, in November 1966. Apart from this, it's a very good book. Bye, Luca

Yes, a frustrating section of the book. It also gives the wrong dates for Mord Und Totschlag/A Degree of Murder soundtrack sessions.

Basically, it repeats the same errors loads of other books and sources have. Usual stuff of one copying the other and errors getting repeated.

Date: September 28, 2021 17:14

DandelionPowderman

LOL Come on DandelionPowderman!

Thanks for reading and disqualifying (joking) but first of all it is very clear there that it’s UNCONFIRMED; there’s a very few things there as “unconfirmed” and that’s one of them; I have sources like Julian Dawson bio , Terry Hounsome book and Nico Zentgraf’s books (the hardcopy books) but I also have some sources saying that he is not there like Nico’s website, so that’s why I clearly wrote UNCONFIRMED.

Date: September 28, 2021 17:16

His Majesty
1963luca0

Basically, it repeats the same errors loads of other books and sources have. Usual stuff of one copying the other and errors getting repeated.

Like the Rolling Stones official 50th anniversary book! A lot of errors

Date: September 28, 2021 18:17

DandelionPowderman

LOL Bård! Sorry…I see that your point is about “piano” on the released version of “Yesterday Papers” as it is harpsichord not piano, my mistake… sorry again; I was thinking that your concern was about Nicky playing on “Between the Buttons” that I left as unconfirmed! I think I’m going to remove that entry and also some others... For example Donovan’s HMS as I’m sure he is not there but two readers have emailed me about Nicky playing there just because it's on Julian's book but no, he is not there for sure (very reliable source)

Date: September 28, 2021 19:49

DandelionPowderman

LOL Come on DandelionPowderman!

Thanks for reading and disqualifying (joking) but first of all it is very clear there that it’s UNCONFIRMED; there’s a very few things there as “unconfirmed” and that’s one of them; I have sources like Julian Dawson bio , Terry Hounsome book and Nico Zentgraf’s books (the hardcopy books) but I also have some sources saying that he is not there like Nico’s website, so that’s why I clearly wrote UNCONFIRMED.

I know, mate smiling smiley

However, a legitimate question is whether there is any piano on Yesterday's Papers at all.

Keep up the good work thumbs up

Date: September 28, 2021 20:02

Yes, I realized about it later, it's the piano thing LOL see my message above yours, my mistake, thanks again!!

Well, probably there were some takes with piano smileys with beer grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 20:33 by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland.

Date: September 28, 2021 20:11

smileys with beer

Date: October 1, 2021 13:22

ironbelly
Why people do not use Nico's site? Everything is there.
[www.nzentgraf.de]
Just open the year and search on page for Nicky Hopkins.

I never thought to search pages of [www.nzentgraf.de] . I used to go there and quote and give credit, but now if I try to quote and give credit, it says I'm stealing. WTF?

Thanks for the idea, IronBellt.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 1, 2021 13:25

Ironbelt !!! .... OUCH!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 1, 2021 14:30

Rockman
Ironbelt !!! .... OUCH!!!
Don't try it at home winking smiley

Date: October 6, 2021 13:43

Here is the answer in one place: http://rocksoff.org/nicky-sessions.htm soon with three more from the upcoming Tattoo You anniversary edition From the upcoming Tattoo You at 40 you have: “Living in the heart of love”, "Drift Away" and "Fast Talking Slow Walking" are with Nicky Hopkins too.

There you’ll find not only Nicky with the Rolling Stones, also solo albums by Ronnie Wood, Bill Wyman, unreleased Brian Jones and more, singles are only included when they didn’t make it on the albums

Also released albums with members of the Stones and Nicky, like Ronnie on bass with the Jeff beck Group feat Nicky, Nicky on "Come Home Baby" with P. P. Arnold and Rod Stewart. (Produced by Mick Jagger on Immediate Records, with Ronnie Wood on guitar, Keith Richards on bass, Nicky Hopkins on electric piano, Keith Emerson on Hammond organ and the Georgie Fame Brass Section), Keith West, Santa Barbera Machine Head featuring Ronnie Wood. Majic Ship with Nicky and Mick Taylor, Adam Bomb again with Nicky and Mick and muuuuch more.

Once you’re there check Nicky solo discography as Mick Taylor is on Nicky’s second album “The Tin Man was a dreamer” providing really great solos

BTW… The Nicky Hopkins official Twitter account is promoting this thread, check it out here [twitter.com]

Great resource - Thank you!

Date: October 15, 2021 18:21

Nicky Hopkins | Britain's Number One Session Pianist

[www.youtube.com]

1:40 Nicky Talks About Stones '71 Tour and recording sessions.

3:20 Exile on Main Street

4:55 Joining the Stones? - Jamming with Edward

In September 1971, the British press wrote about Nicky Hopkins and spoke to him about his career as a session musician and the bands and artists he had worked with. This was an especially productive period in Nicky Hopkins' career. He had played piano on some tracks from the album "Who's Next" by The Who, he had also played on John Lennon's "Imagine" album and he was then working with the Stones on what would become one of their greatest records, "Exile On Main Street".

Plus, bonus info! Nicky Hopkins in 1967.

++++

The Spongetones, Live with Nicky Hopkins - Great Show!

[www.youtube.com]

22:00 See Nicky smile
23:18 Honky Tonk Nicky is very prominent on the piano, including his piano solo.
26:00 The Stumble - Great Rockin' Blues with Nicky on piano
44:28 Nicky speaks to the audience

Wayback Machine: The Spongetones play with special guest, Nicky Hopkins, at Freedom Park in their Charlotte, NC hometown. Circa 1984. WBCY 108 FM arranged to have Nicky stop by and play while he was in town promoting the L. Ron Hubbard movie “Battlefield Earth,” whose soundtrack he appeared on. The show was totally unrehearsed. Nicky just walked on stage and fit right in.

12:15 It blows me away they pulled-off "A Day In The Life" - LIVE

+++++++

OT

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 16, 2021 12:28

Nicky Hopkins started with Screaming Lord Sutch’s Savages, which also included Jimmy Page (another session hero and founder of Led Zeppelin). He played with the Cyril Davies All Stars, one of the first British rhythm & blues bands (Nicky plays piano on the Country Line Special album).

In 1965, he played piano on the Who’s debut album and started playing keyboards in sessions for the top British bands including the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and the Kinks, and on solo albums by John Lennon, Jeff Beck, and others. He played with the Stones on their amazing unreleased concert film from 1968, Rock and Roll Circus (at left). Nicky eventually moved to San Francisco and helped define the S.F. sound, playing on Jefferson Airplane and Steve Miller Band albums, and even briefly joined Quicksilver Messenger Service.

“Jigsaw Puzzle” (Jagger, Richards) by the Rolling Stones
Nicky adds more than color to this track. His signature rhythm part is evident, building up, dueling with Charlie Watts on drums, providing a distinctive backbeat. Brian Jones plays some of his best slide guitar on this song.

Nicky also plays on "Sympathy for the Devil"
"No Expectations"
"Dear Doctor" - harpsipiano
"Jigsaw Puzzle"
"Street Fighting Man"
"Stray Cat Blues"
"Factory Girl" - mellotron
"Salt of the Earth"

Nicky Hopkins played on quite a few Stones songs, starting with “Cool Calm Collected” and including “Gimme Shelter”, “She’s a Rainbow”, “Child of the Moon”, “You Got the Silver”, and “Sway”. Nicky also accompanied the Stones on tour from 1971 to 1973.

Jamming with Edward: Two of the greatest unsung session heroes — Nicky Hopkins and Ry Cooder — jammed together with members of the Rolling Stones on some blues songs and a few originals on this album, released by Rolling Stones Records.

[www.rockument.com]

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 16, 2021 13:06

exilestones
Nicky Hopkins started with Screaming Lord Sutch’s Savages, which also included Jimmy Page (another session hero and founder of Led Zeppelin). He played with the Cyril Davies All Stars, one of the first British rhythm & blues bands (Nicky plays piano on the Country Line Special album).

In 1965, he played piano on the Who’s debut album and started playing keyboards in sessions for the top British bands including the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and the Kinks, and on solo albums by John Lennon, Jeff Beck, and others. He played with the Stones on their amazing unreleased concert film from 1968, Rock and Roll Circus (at left). Nicky eventually moved to San Francisco and helped define the S.F. sound, playing on Jefferson Airplane and Steve Miller Band albums, and even briefly joined Quicksilver Messenger Service.

“Jigsaw Puzzle” (Jagger, Richards) by the Rolling Stones
Nicky adds more than color to this track. His signature rhythm part is evident, building up, dueling with Charlie Watts on drums, providing a distinctive backbeat. Brian Jones plays some of his best slide guitar on this song.

Nicky also plays on "Sympathy for the Devil"
"No Expectations"
"Dear Doctor" - harpsipiano
"Jigsaw Puzzle"
"Street Fighting Man"
"Stray Cat Blues"
"Factory Girl" - mellotron
"Salt of the Earth"

Nicky Hopkins played on quite a few Stones songs, starting with “Cool Calm Collected” and including “Gimme Shelter”, “She’s a Rainbow”, “Child of the Moon”, “You Got the Silver”, and “Sway”. Nicky also accompanied the Stones on tour from 1971 to 1973.

Jamming with Edward: Two of the greatest unsung session heroes — Nicky Hopkins and Ry Cooder — jammed together with members of the Rolling Stones on some blues songs and a few originals on this album, released by Rolling Stones Records.

[www.rockument.com]

I don’t know who wrote that piece, but Brian played Mellotron on Jig-Saw Puzzle.
The slide-guitar is Keith.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1165
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home