Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28
Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 28, 2021 14:40

Look Mick and Keith were artists, they wrote about love, hate, drugs, past , present, history, good, evil, woman, sex, girls, all kinds of girls even black girls etc.

They wrote about the world the way they saw it.

They were written before political correct times, cancel Brown Sugar and you set the ball rolling to cancel the Stones.

If the Stones back catalogue offends you then that's their right to offend as artists, you don't like it listen to something else.

Are people cancelling Rap music because it offends ??, no, people just listen to something else, you don't go around burning books.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 14:46 by Rocktiludrop.

Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 28, 2021 14:41

If Charlie had passed without a yet-rescheduled tour about to start and tickets yet sold, I think they would have called it a day.

One may call it destiny, fate.

As for Steve, my two cents is that he sounds much more like Charlie than Darryl compared to Bill

Yes, the fills on Midnight Rambler (first part) and IORR were a bit unusual. Now maybe one should just listen, and not watch the videos of 2021 to be fair, because, yes, the visual effect is so strong that it may impair our listening judgement.

Wait a couple of shows, and try a "blind test" just listening to compare the same songs in 2018, 2019 and 2021. See if one can be so sure it's Charlie or Steve.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 28, 2021 14:52

Rocktiludrop
Look Mick and Keith were artists, they wrote about love, hate, drugs, past , present, history, good, evil, woman, sex, girls, all kinds of girls even black girls etc.

They were written before political correct times, cancel Brown Sugar and you set the ball rolling to cancel the Stones.

If the Stones back catalogue offends you then that's their right to offend as artists, you don't like it listen to something else.

Are people cancelling Rap music because it offends ??, no, people just listen to something else, you don't go around burning books.

Evolution isn’t a bad thing. “Woke,” and “cancelled,” aren’t words I use. They are triggers. And the slippery slope argument is a bit much. Sometimes change is a good thing. And just because something changes doesn’t mean the pendulum is going to continue swinging in that direction. We don’t agree on this and that’s ok. Just explaining myself.

Can’t wait till October 9!

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 28, 2021 14:53

Thank you to DEAN GOODMAN, i might not agree with it but i love your humour and honesty, that review made my day smileys with beer

Date: September 28, 2021 14:54

Rocktiludrop

Points very well made. Bunch of snowflakes look around every corner to find something hurtful to them so it should be banned for everyone. With that mindset Tumbling Dice should be banned cause “all you women is low down gamblers”…that’s very offensive to women.

Date: September 28, 2021 15:02

Drwatts is right. Just ignore the negativity. It doesn't matter what you say on here someone will respond with a negative reply.

drwatts
Justin
It's very disappointing to read people label that moment between the three Stones as "awkward" or "cheesy." It's very clear by the videos that Ronnie and Keith rushed in to support Mick who was obviously struggling to get the task done of saying a few words about the friend they just lost. Keith looked over saw the signs on Mick's face and the cracks in his voice that the emotions were welling up and so he showed his support by grabbing his hand. It was a genuine moment of warmth and love and for fans who weren't there to cynically dismiss it as anything but--especially during these times--is cold and just downright awful.
Unfortunately some folks are just downright awful. That doesn't mean the rest of us have to be. Ignore the negativity and celebrate the Stones while we still have the chance.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 28, 2021 15:07

georgemcdonnell314
Drwatts is right. Just ignore the negativity. It doesn't matter what you say on here someone will respond with a negative reply.

drwatts
Justin
It's very disappointing to read people label that moment between the three Stones as "awkward" or "cheesy." It's very clear by the videos that Ronnie and Keith rushed in to support Mick who was obviously struggling to get the task done of saying a few words about the friend they just lost. Keith looked over saw the signs on Mick's face and the cracks in his voice that the emotions were welling up and so he showed his support by grabbing his hand. It was a genuine moment of warmth and love and for fans who weren't there to cynically dismiss it as anything but--especially during these times--is cold and just downright awful.
Unfortunately some folks are just downright awful. That doesn't mean the rest of us have to be. Ignore the negativity and celebrate the Stones while we still have the chance.

How brave Mick was to do what he did. I found the moment extremely painful for them and you saw the support they provided. People who are saying it was awkward or cheesy. Just shameful and heartless. See how you fell when you've lost a friend of 60 years.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 28, 2021 15:27

Has anyone heard from CBII? Wondering if he was at the show, it would be interesting to hear from him.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 28, 2021 15:36

Mick's been cancelling Stones songs for years............I read an interview a long time ago where he was asked "Oh, why don't you play this any more (or that) ....(I can't remember which songs were mentioned) but ....

Mick answered with "Because when we wrote them they were relevant and now they're not - they are just not appropriate anymore so we don't play them"

Date: September 28, 2021 15:53

StonedRambler
In 2014 they didn't play Paint it Black for the whole European and Aussie tour. Instead Out Of Control got the spot on every concert. In 2019 they didn't play IORR for most of the tour and LSTNT got the spot instead.
Could be very well they just dropped BS to be able to play 19th Nervous Breakdown on every show. They only want to do 19 songs. So if they wanna do one more non-warhorse song they have to drop one warhorse. Funny how people usually complain about the warhorses but now that there is the speculation on why they might to it people complain again that they don't play every warhorse...

Partially right, as they didn't play it in Europe. However, they played it on the European tour (Israel) winking smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 28, 2021 15:54

EddieByword
Mick's been cancelling Stones songs for years............I read an interview a long time ago where he was asked "Oh, why don't you play this any more (or that) ....(I can't remember which songs were mentioned) but ....

Mick answered with "Because when we wrote them they were relevant and now they're not - they are just not appropriate anymore so we don't play them"

It is obvious that a text more suitable for the moment we are living makes more sense, but in the last tours it seems to me they have also remade some old songs that have not played for years and in any case BS has been fixed on every tour until 2020, it does not exist only one reason to eliminate it in 2021, the only sensible reason is that some workhorses will rotate.
Also if we look at what I said Mick or Keith in the story, we will find that they said everything and the opposite of everything.
I wouldn't rely heavily on their statements, which can hold true for that tour and be disavowed on the next tour.

Date: September 28, 2021 16:01

Testify
EddieByword

It is obvious that a text more suitable for the moment we are living makes more sense, but in the last tours it seems to me they have also remade some old songs that have not played for years and in any case BS has been fixed on every tour until 2020, it does not exist only one reason to eliminate it in 2021, the only sensible reason is that some workhorses will rotate.
Also if we look at what I said Mick or Keith in the story, we will find that they said everything and the opposite of everything.
I wouldn't rely heavily on their statements, which can hold true for that tour and be disavowed on the next tour.

This is true but the statement I quoted does seem to be relative to a principle that could hold true whenever..........

I also remember, a few years ago, Keith fluffing the opening of BS a few times so maybe it's got the better of him finally......(just kidding as I know Ron could do it.........

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 28, 2021 16:12

More than one thing can be true at the same time.

A warhorse can be skipped for more than one reason.

It can be great to see the remaining Stones in concert making music, while the music can be different in an important way without Charlie.

Steve’s drumming may have sped up songs that have slowed down over the past ten years, and we can like that. At the same time, some songs may be missing some of the roll or swing.

It can be great that Keith and Ron are still playing, enjoying themselves, and exciting audiences, while noticing that there are songs where they are contributing less to the sound.

We can appreciate what the Stones bring in their late 70’s, while noticing that they are no longer in their 20’s, 30’s, or 60’s.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 28, 2021 16:15

Testify

How absurd to think that it was not played because of political correctness, because in that case they would have removed it from the set lists a long time ago.

Political correctness is still an actual thing - in 2021 Mars Food renamed due to this reason a product of rice to Ben's Original (without Uncle and the picture of a black man). In Austria and Germany it's now unwelcome to say Gipsy (= Zigeuner). Unilever and some other food companies have even renamed in 2021 a such named sauce (former Zigeunersauce, now: Paprika sauce Hungarian style). It's since some time also unwelcome to say Eskimo - correct term is now Inuit. Perhaps roaring "Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields" over the PA has become unfashionable now as well ....

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: September 28, 2021 16:23

So, some thoughts after a couple of days reflecting after the gig...

1) I miss Charlie, more than I realised I would from a drumming perspective. I was really hopeful that Steve would bring a needed energy to some songs - and I think he did - I don't think we would have 19th Nervous Breakdown in the set without him. However, the cost is, as Dean Goodman mentioned, a very tight aggressive snare drum. I really feel the sound techs need to turn the snare drum down a fraction, and actually his floor Tom (to his right, that he used a lot of Paint it Black) needs turning up.

2) The Stones can play whatever songs they want. I am still going to go to their gigs, and they don't owe me or anyone, anything. Nevertheless I do hold some sadness if an audience never gets to go "yeah yeah yeah woooo" at the end of Brown Sugar ever again.

3) Living in a Ghost Town gets a thumbs up from me. I think it worked - two observations that could improve it - Mick to learn the lyrics so he can Stray away from the teleprompter a bit more so he can engage the audience - also, really drop it down in the middle even more to get the audience doing the sing along.

4) Both Matt and Bernard are playing tambourines on Satisfaction - just one of them is enough as sometimes they are ever so slightly out of sync. Instead, Matt should play keyboard to fill out the sound a little more during the verses - I think Micks Vocals were a little exposed due to a lack of background instruments surrounding Keith's riff. Plus, Keith solo was out of Key for nearly 1 minute when he went over to the edge of the stage, I think he should stay central near a monitor when he plays that part and then say hello to the wings after.

5) I believe, given how they play in 2021, Start Me Up is stronger than Sympathy. Therefore I would move Sympathy back to the first half like they did in 2019 and put Start Me Up back in the ending run of songs.

6) Overall, emotions aside, I think it would be genuinely difficult to argue conclusively that 2021 stones are any better or worse than 2019. Overall Keith looked a little more focused, the songs were at slightly better tempos, and there was a renewed energy and spirit, however the sound is different... Steve's fills and feel isn't like Charlie's (it could never be, so I won't dwell on this) but the bit I think can be improved is if the sound techs make some minor adjustments with microphone (no fault or issue with Steve here, just he hits certain drums harder so they levels need adjusting for that)

7) Keep going boys- and everyone enjoy this while we have it. One day we will dearly miss it.

Posted by: rubyeveryday ()
Date: September 28, 2021 16:23

14th show since 1975. I went with my daughter-in-law. Her first time. We got Lucky Dipped into the Front Pit. It was pure joy. Great set list. Great musicianship. Great sound quality. Poignant night. If that’s it, it was a perfect conclusion to my Rolling Stones live career.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-29 17:45 by rubyeveryday.

Date: September 28, 2021 16:28

rubyeveryday
13th show since 1975. I went with my Daughter in law. Her first time. We got Lucky Dipped into the Front Pit. It was pure joy. Great set lists. Great musicianship. Great sound quality. Poignant night. If that’s it, it was a perfect conclusion to my Rolling Stones live career.

Just in case you haven't seen this.......... [iorr.org] ..........DVD coming soon

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 28, 2021 16:38

Rocktiludrop
Thank you to DEAN GOODMAN, i might not agree with it but i love your humour and honesty, that review made my day smileys with beer

As always, I really enjoyed reading Dean Goodman’s review: no sugar-coating the reality; just honest opinions and observations.

Date: September 28, 2021 16:55

Video-summary of St. Louis by The Rolling Stones - [Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com] .

Date: September 28, 2021 17:01

Very well said Steff!

steffialicia
georgemcdonnell314

drwatts
Justin

How brave Mick was to do what he did. I found the moment extremely painful for them and you saw the support they provided. People who are saying it was awkward or cheesy. Just shameful and heartless. See how you fell when you've lost a friend of 60 years.

Posted by: atsu69 ()
Date: September 28, 2021 17:08

Irix
Video-summary of St. Louis by The Rolling Stones - [Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com] .

The audio of "Street Fighting Man" is not from St. Louis, but from Mexico City, Mar.14, 2016.
(from "Ole Ole Ole" Japanese edition)

Posted by: mmarloe ()
Date: September 28, 2021 17:10

Curious about your dips. Were you there early, or was it totally random? Congrats on Pits!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 28, 2021 17:31

Please remember :
IT'S AN OPENING GIG!

The'll work out the kinks that happen at every premiere just like they did in 69 70 72 89 94 etc etc

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: September 28, 2021 17:44

Big Al
Rocktiludrop

As always, I really enjoyed reading Dean Goodman’s review: no sugar-coating the reality; just honest opinions and observations.

I couldn't agree more.

Dig his reviews a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 17:46 by chevysales.

Date: September 28, 2021 17:45

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 28, 2021 17:48

georgemcdonnell314
Very well said Steff!

steffialicia
georgemcdonnell314

drwatts
Justin

There's a huge difference between criticizing the music and judging how other people grieve, which is totally uncalled for.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: September 28, 2021 17:48

TheBlockbuster
AntoineParis
St Louis on sunday was the best show they've done since 5 years. Miami 2019 in comparaison looks and sounds ridiculous.

No it doesn't.

What exactly "looks and sounds" ridiculous with the Miami 2019 version of Start Me Up, compared to the St. Louis 2021 version?

Start me up it's not the best exemple, i admit (jagger vocals are not so great) Take Symmpathy, IORR, Dice, JJF, Shelter, Satisfaction, matter of taste but huge energy, some freshness. I think it's amazing

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: September 28, 2021 17:59

I love how the Charlie video is the isolated drum track from Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: September 28, 2021 18:07

The simple answer to this Brown Sugar issue is to play 20 songs. Several shows over the last few tours have had 20 songs. It’s not that unusual.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 28, 2021 18:19

MisterDDDD

Very well said BFR, and agree whole heartedly.
Great to share in some of this with you.

Just got in from the flight(s) back, and am going to gather my thoughts, but like you I decided after Charlie passed that I had to be there.
For myself, for other fans, and most importantly for the band. They needed this.. If I had to sum up the experience in one word, it would be- cathartic. smileys with beer

Yep, cathartic is exactly what it was. Being around other fans and seeing the remaining Stones was good for my soul. It was great to spend some time with you and hope to see you again down the road smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home