Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28
Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: September 28, 2021 05:20

You hit the nail right on the head on this one. It's not just trash it's raunchy trash.

VoodooLounge13
PhillyFAN
matxil
tatters
Nikkei
I wouldn't overdramatize the lack of Brown Sugar, it's probably going to be back in a week (more than enough time for several cancel culture meltdowns of course)

I don't know. It's not like it's a song that rotates in and out of the setlist. Prior to last night, it had been played at every Stones concert since Altamont.

So, it was about time for7 a change then.

I have read Brown Sugar was written when MJ was much younger.An ode to slavery amd beating black women and basically forcing them to get down on your knees for oral sex was never okay.MJ's first child is black woman. Great music and beat tho but the lyrics are foul.I wonder the reception if a black man sang a song about beating and forcing white women to have oral sex? Wouldn't be a top 40 favorte.

Really I don't see how it's anymore offensive than the sh!t that passes for hiphop music these days and words that I hear ROUTINELY on the radio - c-nt, c-ck, Fk. Nicki Minaj; Lil-Anything; Cardi B. It's all trash that comes pouring out of their trampy mouths. BS is TAME by comparison.

Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 28, 2021 05:38

I will never, ever regret making the hasty decision to attend the show in St. Louis. I hadn’t planned on going to the opener originally, but after Charlie passed, I felt like I would really be missing out on something special if I wasn’t there. What a great day spent with several others from IORR, swapping concert experiences, sharing our feelings and memories of Charlie and generating that kind of buzz you only get from sharing something like the love of a band with likeminded people. How lucky are we to have the chance to still do this!?! When that unmistakeable drum beat started playing and the beautiful images of Charlie came on the screens as the show began, tears immediately sprang to my eyes.

I was in seat 1 on the floor right beside the B stage and can say without any hesitation that what we saw last night was nothing short of amazing. Sure, things have changed and Charlie’s absence was certainly felt, but this band still has gas in the tank. To think of all they have weathered and are still out there giving us their all after nearly 60 years of performing is something I think some have come to take for granted. Mick gave the enthusiastic crowd what they came to see. Pretty incredible that he is very much still a sex symbol at 78 years old and still commanding and seducing the audience as only Mick Jagger can. I thought he, Keith and Ronnie all looked well. I have to give credit to Steve. He’s doing a tough job and keeping them rolling. Things will never be the same, but that doesn’t mean they can’t continue to be great.

Highlights for me were:
Tumbling - perfectly placed after the Charlie comments…more on that shortly…but it really struck the right chord and brought my spirits right back up
Wild Horses - Mick sounded really great vocally (even though I voted for Fool, I’ll never be disappointed to hear WH)
Honky Tonk - great crowd reaction for this one
Slipping - oooh, man. More tears from me at this one. Keith’s delivery was wonderful and the new poignancy to this much loved song was bittersweet to say the least
Midnight Rambler - they lit us up with this one! Ronnie especially really shined on this one for me. It just kept going and grooving
SFTD - the graphics and lighting for this were fantastic and Mick was gyrating and spinning like he was conjuring

I thought the Charlie homages were very tasteful and touching. Beautifully delivered yet still understated, just like Charlie. I saw it with my own eyes and have watched the clip at least 20 times replayed and when Keith grabbed Mick’s hand, that was genuine. Mick was sort of gesturing with his hand and Keith looked down and just grabbed it and they held on to each other. I don’t know why this needs to be pointed out, as it’s obvious from the clips, but Mick was holding the mic in his other hand, that’s why he wasn’t able to grab hands with Ronnie. It was all very spontaneous and raw reaction. I had tears streaming down my face during this emotional outpouring from them. It was so apparent that all three of them were feeling deep emotions together as a band and with us as a grateful and appreciative audience. Despite or maybe because of their highs and lows as a band, fights, deaths of loved ones, addictions, health scares, etc. Mick and Keith are still standing together and still giving people like me something that I crave on a cellular level. Through it all, they’re still inseparable, The Glimmer Twins, brothers of the kind that something as natural as shared birth parents could never produce. They’re truly supernatural. I, for one, am beyond grateful to them for continuing to share their magic with us and captivate us like no other band can.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 28, 2021 05:51

drwatts
The swing is not gone. Steve Jordan is a master of time and space, and one of the best drummers on this planet. He is the best candidate for this difficult task. Give him a little time and things will only get better. All musicians need a few shows to really get rolling... Keith was looking lean, mean, and on the scene!

Nice to see Steve getting the approval of you drummers!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 28, 2021 06:26

Justin
It's very disappointing to read people label that moment between the three Stones as "awkward" or "cheesy." It's very clear by the videos that Ronnie and Keith rushed in to support Mick who was obviously struggling to get the task done of saying a few words about the friend they just lost. Keith looked over saw the signs on Mick's face and the cracks in his voice that the emotions were welling up and so he showed his support by grabbing his hand. It was a genuine moment of warmth and love and for fans who weren't there to cynically dismiss it as anything but--especially during these times--is cold and just downright awful.

Absolutely. Those were about the realest moments ever, the feelings expressed, and the gesture, given and received, from Keith to Mick, their grief showing in the eyes of all three.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 28, 2021 07:13

BFR
I will never, ever regret making the hasty decision to attend the show in St. Louis. I hadn’t planned on going to the opener originally, but after Charlie passed, I felt like I would really be missing out on something special if I wasn’t there. What a great day spent with several others from IORR, swapping concert experiences, sharing our feelings and memories of Charlie and generating that kind of buzz you only get from sharing something like the love of a band with likeminded people. How lucky are we to have the chance to still do this!?! When that unmistakeable drum beat started playing and the beautiful images of Charlie came on the screens as the show began, tears immediately sprang to my eyes.

I was in seat 1 on the floor right beside the B stage and can say without any hesitation that what we saw last night was nothing short of amazing. Sure, things have changed and Charlie’s absence was certainly felt, but this band still has gas in the tank. To think of all they have weathered and are still out there giving us their all after nearly 60 years of performing is something I think some have come to take for granted. Mick gave the enthusiastic crowd what they came to see. Pretty incredible that he is very much still a sex symbol at 78 years old and still commanding and seducing the audience as only Mick Jagger can. I thought he, Keith and Ronnie all looked well. I have to give credit to Steve. He’s doing a tough job and keeping them rolling. Things will never be the same, but that doesn’t mean they can’t continue to be great.

Highlights for me were:
Tumbling - perfectly placed after the Charlie comments…more on that shortly…but it really struck the right chord and brought my spirits right back up
Wild Horses - Mick sounded really great vocally (even though I voted for Fool, I’ll never be disappointed to hear WH)
Slipping - oooh, man. More tears from me at this one. Keith’s delivery was wonderful and the new poignancy to this much loved song was bittersweet to say the least
Midnight Rambler - they lit us up with this one! Ronnie especially really shined on this one for me. It just kept going and grooving
SFTD - the graphics and lighting for this were fantastic and Mick was gyrating and spinning like he was conjuring

I thought the Charlie homages were very tasteful and touching. Beautifully delivered yet still understated, just like Charlie. I saw it with my own eyes and have watched the clip at least 20 times replayed and when Keith grabbed Mick’s hand, that was genuine. Mick was sort of gesturing with his hand and Keith looked down and just grabbed it and they held on to each other. I don’t know why this needs to be pointed out, as it’s obvious from the clips, but Mick was holding the mic in his other hand, that’s why he wasn’t able to grab hands with Ronnie. It was all very spontaneous and raw reaction. I had tears streaming down my face during this emotional outpouring from them. It was so apparent that all three of them were feeling deep emotions together as a band and with us as a grateful and appreciative audience. Despite or maybe because of their highs and lows as a band, fights, deaths of loved ones, addictions, health scares, etc. Mick and Keith are still standing together and still giving people like me something that I crave on a cellular level. Through it all, they’re still inseparable, The Glimmer Twins, brothers of the kind that something as natural as shared birth parents could never produce. They’re truly supernatural. I, for one, am beyond grateful to them for continuing to share their magic with us and captivate us like no other band can.

Thanks for sharing this!
It’s that moment, in the bar before the gig you’re among like minded folk, and then to cap it off, the Rolling Stones LIVE!

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: September 28, 2021 07:52

Paddy
BFR

Highlights for me were:

Couldn't agree more. Really poignant moment in a night filled a great many emotional moments, but all delivered on a solid bedrock of music being made by eager, well rehearsed, focused musicians, who also displayed a lot of gratitude (though I've got to say that I have seen that in the past, as well).
"It's good to be here, it's good to be anywhere", never rang so true. I haven't been to church in a while; very much looking forward to going back again, soon.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 28, 2021 09:10

BFR

Highlights for me were:

Very well said BFR, and agree whole heartedly.
Great to share in some of this with you.

Just got in from the flight(s) back, and am going to gather my thoughts, but like you I decided after Charlie passed that I had to be there.
For myself, for other fans, and most importantly for the band. They needed this.. If I had to sum up the experience in one word, it would be- cathartic. smileys with beer

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 28, 2021 09:26

TheflyingDutchman
drwatts
jumpingjackflash5
drwatts
The swing is not gone. Steve Jordan is a master of time and space, and one of the best drummers on this planet. He is the best candidate for this difficult task. Give him a little time and things will only get better. All musicians need a few shows to really get rolling... Keith was looking lean, mean, and on the scene!

Keit played very well, yes.
Mr. Jordan is great professional drummer, but certainly not master of Rolling stones timing and sound.
blah, blah, blah...

I just got myself together and listened through the entire concert, best recordings available. All I can say is that we cannot blame the session players for the fact that the band doesn't swing. Actually the session players swing.
However the guitar section has become very minimalistic by now -too minimalistic. No pun intended. Jagger's harp playing is stil great and I liked Darryl's and Tim's solo on Miss You a lot.

RIP Charlie.

Yes it's great to see them back in action after all that "happened" but I'm struck for the first time by how weak the guitars have become...it's not like this hadn't been discussed to death since...2002 but on some songs they now provide little more than embellishments over the backing provided by Chuck and Matt. GS for example is a shell of what it used to be, even compared to 2012 with Keith not really trying to play the intro at all anymore. Ronnie had picked up a lot of the slack but he (understandably) seems to have slowed too now. More than ever it's just Mick now who's keeping the flame alive...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 28, 2021 09:38

Justin
It's very disappointing to read people label that moment between the three Stones as "awkward" or "cheesy." It's very clear by the videos that Ronnie and Keith rushed in to support Mick who was obviously struggling to get the task done of saying a few words about the friend they just lost. Keith looked over saw the signs on Mick's face and the cracks in his voice that the emotions were welling up and so he showed his support by grabbing his hand. It was a genuine moment of warmth and love and for fans who weren't there to cynically dismiss it as anything but--especially during these times--is cold and just downright awful.

Are some of "us" here at IORR really saying that?

That's heartless and unfathomable...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 28, 2021 09:45

Witness
Send It To me
It's possible on Brown Sugar that they asked the African Americans in the band how they felt about it.

It's possible Mick just doesn't feel comfortable singing it at the moment.

It's possible they just don't want to attract attention to it in a review and risk getting "cancelled."

I do hope that it is your explanation number 2 that is valid, and none of the other two.

What's wrong with number 1?

Date: September 28, 2021 09:58

They have altered the lyrics to Under My Thumb, and they're still performing it. Had it been the lyrics to BS, they could have done the same with that song.

I suggest explanation number 4: They «had to» omit one of the warhorses this time, to make room for a "semi warhorse" earlier in the set (UMT, WH etc.).

They might change around with which one of the warhorses they'll omit.

Let's see what happens. Could be that BS will be back in the setlist in Charlotte.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 28, 2021 10:01

Based on the videos I tend to agree with some of the reviewers suggesting that now the sound somewhat resembles the Winos. Not a bad thing necessarily.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 28, 2021 10:03

Brown Sugar: If it’s awkward and they drop it because of that, fine. But because of the current woke insanity I really hope the Stones of all people didn’t drop it to appease the mob.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 28, 2021 10:21

Sorry but that sucks. "Midnight Rambler" is like playing a weak tribute band. It’s not the Rolling Stones, I’ll never go see them again. I do not care. But I respect them and accept that they want to continue playing together, because what can a poor boy do, and they’re too old to see what the fair thing would be anyway. (They should play under the name "The Stones" simply without "Rolling" honestly admitting that something essential was lost) I also understand the audience, the market, the will of the music industry, etc. Anyway, Mick is in fantastic shape, Keith and Ron are also very committed, there’s not much trouble with the guitars. But The Rolling Stones' unique swing no longer exists without Charlie's drumming. It has been said a thousand times and both Mick and Keith have repeatedly admitted that there is no Rolling Stones without Charlie's drumming. And it really isn't.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 11:00 by 1962.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 28, 2021 10:31

1962: ever since 2017, all the No Filter marketing material etc. has just said "Stones: No Filter" anyway, so in that sense they already have dropped the "Rolling" ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 10:32 by Topi.

Date: September 28, 2021 10:51

Sorry but that sucks. "Midnight Rambler" is like playing a weak tribute band. It’s not the Rolling Stones, I’ll never go see them again. I do not care. But I respect them and accept that they want to continue playing together, because what can a poor boy do, and they’re too old to see what the fair thing would be anyway. (They should play under the name "The Stones" simply without "Rolling" honestly admitting that something essential was lost) I also understand the audience, the market, the will of the music industry, etc. Anyway, Mick is in fantastic shape, Keith and Ron are also very committed, there’s not much trouble with the guitars. But The Rolling Stones' unique swing no longer exists without Charlie's drumming. It has been said a thousand times and both Mick and Keith have repeatedly admitted that there is no Rolling Stones without Charlie. And it really isn't.

Please explain why the 2019-versions of MR were swinging more than this one.

Date: September 28, 2021 10:56

It’s hard to explain why a rhythm is special, it’s very weird to me that you can’t hear it.

(many have tried to describe, to decipher especially now that Charlie is gone, but of course you have an absolute right not to hear it)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 10:58 by 1962.

Date: September 28, 2021 11:00

It’s hard to explain why a rhythm is special, it’s very weird to me that you can’t hear it.

(but of course you have an absolute right not to hear it)

What I heard in 2019 was a song that was looser than we were used to, and almost fell apart at times.

It's still loose, mind you, but at the same time it's tighter in the right places, imo. That's not necessarily only because of the drummer. It's Keith and Ronnie who upped their game as well.

I guess we hear things differently.

Date: September 28, 2021 11:01

Yes we do.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: September 28, 2021 11:05

You wouldn't sing about the holocaust either, would you?<<<

They actually do this in Sympathy For The Devil.

Censorship has no place in Art.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: September 28, 2021 11:05

Sorry but that sucks. "Midnight Rambler" is like playing a weak tribute band. It’s not the Rolling Stones, I’ll never go see them again. I do not care. But I respect them and accept that they want to continue playing together, because what can a poor boy do, and they’re too old to see what the fair thing would be anyway. (They should play under the name "The Stones" simply without "Rolling" honestly admitting that something essential was lost) I also understand the audience, the market, the will of the music industry, etc. Anyway, Mick is in fantastic shape, Keith and Ron are also very committed, there’s not much trouble with the guitars. But The Rolling Stones' unique swing no longer exists without Charlie's drumming. It has been said a thousand times and both Mick and Keith have repeatedly admitted that there is no Rolling Stones without Charlie's drumming. And it really isn't.

I really hope the Stones camp read here, so they can learn a thing or two about how things are supposed to be...cause they themselves clearly have no clue. What a joke...

Date: September 28, 2021 12:14

The ugly, sour spirit in some of these posts, especially on that moment they paid tribute to Charlie on stage ... what can you say?
I need opinions like that like I need a hole in the ground.
Braying and naysaying from fuzzy mobile phone footage ... "worse than a tribute baaaand" ...Really? You don't deserve ears. You don't deserve rock and roll.

Date: September 28, 2021 12:25

MadMetaphoricalMax
The ugly, sour spirit in some of these posts, especially on that moment they paid tribute to Charlie on stage ... what can you say?
I need opinions like that like I need a hole in the ground.
Braying and naysaying from fuzzy mobile phone footage ... "worse than a tribute baaaand" ...Really? You don't deserve ears. You don't deserve rock and roll.

I wrote an opinion with which you disagree, there is nothing wrong with that. I didn’t want to spoil your fun.
Believe me I love the Rolling Stones more than anyone else. I am 59 and a hardcore fan since I was 16.
But if a friend of mine who had never been to a Rolling Stones concert wanted to watch them now, I wouldn’t recommend it. Simply because this is not The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 12:35 by 1962.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 28, 2021 12:33

matxil
Witness
Send It To me
It's possible on Brown Sugar that they asked the African Americans in the band how they felt about it.

It's possible they just don't want to attract attention to it in a review and risk getting "cancelled."

I do hope that it is your explanation number 2 that is valid, and none of the other two.

Because it could mean that they would be receptible to Woke thinking.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: September 28, 2021 12:44

DandelionPowderman
Sorry but that sucks. "Midnight Rambler" is like playing a weak tribute band. It’s not the Rolling Stones, I’ll never go see them again. I do not care. But I respect them and accept that they want to continue playing together, because what can a poor boy do, and they’re too old to see what the fair thing would be anyway. (They should play under the name "The Stones" simply without "Rolling" honestly admitting that something essential was lost) I also understand the audience, the market, the will of the music industry, etc. Anyway, Mick is in fantastic shape, Keith and Ron are also very committed, there’s not much trouble with the guitars. But The Rolling Stones' unique swing no longer exists without Charlie's drumming. It has been said a thousand times and both Mick and Keith have repeatedly admitted that there is no Rolling Stones without Charlie. And it really isn't.

Please explain why the 2019-versions of MR were swinging more than this one.

This is absolutely the main point!
St Louis on sunday was the best show they've done since 5 years. Miami 2019 in comparaison looks and sounds ridiculous.

The drag is that Charlie passed away so it's difficult for us to admit. Just a question of timing and I can understand fans who don't want to admit the evidence.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 28, 2021 12:54

A huge appreciation for The Rolling Stones performing under difficult circumstances and I'm looking forward if The Stones hit Europe!

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 28, 2021 13:20

Witness
matxil
Witness
Send It To me

Or it could mean, heaven forbid, that he cares about the power of words and how they impact others negatively. What a terrible thing that would be. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 28, 2021 13:53

NashvilleBlues
Witness
matxil
Witness
Send It To me

Or it could mean, heaven forbid, that he cares about the power of words and how they impact others negatively. What a terrible thing that would be. eye rolling smiley

Shall I then by that logic read you that the Stones for that reason ought to stop playing, say, " Midnight Rambler"?

Date: September 28, 2021 14:01

NashvilleBlues
Witness
matxil
Witness
Send It To me

+1

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 28, 2021 14:09

AntoineParis
St Louis on sunday was the best show they've done since 5 years. Miami 2019 in comparaison looks and sounds ridiculous.

No it doesn't.

What exactly "looks and sounds" ridiculous with the Miami 2019 version of Start Me Up, compared to the St. Louis 2021 version?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home