Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 28
Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: September 27, 2021 23:02

stargroover
After watching numerous songs on you tube from last night’s show,it’s really sad the swing has gone.Kudos to those who have travelled far and wide to this show and are clearly putting a brave face on things.
The swings gone man

Yes swing is mostly gone.
Still some songs were very good.

Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: September 27, 2021 23:10

The swing is not gone. Steve Jordan is a master of time and space, and one of the best drummers on this planet. He is the best candidate for this difficult task. Give him a little time and things will only get better. All musicians need a few shows to really get rolling... Keith was looking lean, mean, and on the scene!

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: September 27, 2021 23:11

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Wow mick jagger is just unbelievable.

Rambler suits this band perfect. Some songs a bit weird without charlie

Oh yes!
I don't usually quote myself, but I already asked (iorr.org)
what the reason was that Keith missed - of all places - that first "WHAMMM" after Mick sang "Well you heared about the Boston..."

There was some trouble with his Gibson Junior. It looked like he wanted to tell Mick about it like "... please hold them some more moments, I dont's have my axe ready...". Then you see that he gets the other guitar in exchange, but he'd just missed the first 2 WHAMMMs, if I got that right.

What was that? Did the thing go out of tune or did a string break?

I just wonder what that was...

Date: September 27, 2021 23:12

drwatts
The swing is not gone. Steve Jordan is a master of time and space, and one of the best drummers on this planet. He is the best candidate for this difficult task. Give him a little time and things will only get better. All musicians need a few shows to really get rolling... Keith was looking lean, mean, and on the scene!

Keit played very well, yes.
Mr. Jordan is great professional drummer, but certainly not master of Rolling stones timing and sound.

Posted by: frijoless ()
Date: September 27, 2021 23:26

Just got back home after making the trip to STL.

We had a great time during our stay. Arrived on Saturday afternoon, visiting a couple of local breweries and then taking in a concert in the Duck Room at Blueberry Hill. Sunday, we tried to sleep in just a bit, and then walked to a neighborhood pub for some drinks and a bite to eat before heading back to the hotel room for a brief rest. The weather on both Saturday & Sunday was absolutely ideal - sunny skies and nice temps for walking about to take in some different sites.

Taking the Metrorail into downtown, we stopped for a couple quick beers before heading to the stadium to retrieve our Lucky Dips. A couple maybe four groups in-front pulled Pit 1, the next bunch of us all got lower bowl at about the 50-yard line, even with the B-stage, maybe 10-rows up from the floor. I tried for a bit to talk guest services into exchanging our tickets for floor to no avail. Our seats were great, I was just hoping to perhaps get my fiancee into the Pit so she could experience seeing the Stones from close up. Although, now that I think about it, we had pit for Desert Trip.

The Revivalists were okay. Right when they started, we were concerned about the sound. The drums and bass were echoing off the back of the stadium and the entire mix was muddled and bad. Thankfully, the sound guys dialed it in after a couple of songs, and poor sound wasn't really an issue the remainder of the night. Going to Jazz Fest in New Orleans a handful of times, I was familiar with The Revialists and didn't have really any big expectations. I did like that the lead singer seemed to be very appreciative of the opportunity to open for the Stones, and thanked the crowd a couple of times - stating that they realized that everyone was there to see the Stones and not them, but thanking those in their seats for arriving a bit early.

Lines for merch tables were long all night long. Concert goers proudly wearing either their new purchases or past acquisitions. I had on my Zipcode shirt from the opening tour date in San Diego from 2015.

We hustled back into our seats shortly after 8:30pm to ensure we did not miss the opening should something special be put together for Charlie Watts. The opening drumtrack and photo montage seemed a great tribute. Loud, long applause as it came to a conclusion.

For the Stones, the word 'amazing' always pops into my head at every show I see of theirs. Not only the longevity, but the energy, stage show, and superb musicianship - the entire band still sounds so good. I had concerns most of the week leading up to the show about the concert being undersold. Those concerns were unwarranted - the stadium was filled up to the very last rows of the upper tier all the way around. Sure, we had a little bit of dancing room in our row and section but with folks on their feet and truly enjoying themselves, the entire stadium appeared full. Furthermore, the crowd was loud throughout with great applause all night. Every other concertgoer that I spoke with was elated to be in-attendance and having fun.

As we exited our Metro train car that night, I turned and gave a 'woo woo' to the still relatively crowded car which was immediately and enthusiastically returned with a loud 'woo woo'. Smiles all around. Thank you Rolling Stones and thank you to St. Louis and all the fans who travelled to be there.

See everyone at the tour closer in Austin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 23:32 by frijoless.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 27, 2021 23:45

Ghost Town while watching it on YT is really great for me. The whole band.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 27, 2021 23:52

matxil
The Sicilian

Thinking about it from that point of view, it didn't occur to me they didn't play the song to pander to the woke crowd. If that's true it's horrible. That being said, if it is true, we'll never hear "Slave" now.

It's not horrible at all not wanting to offend a large group of people who have been on the receiving end of gross injustice. You wouldn't sing about the holocaust either, would you?
The comparison with "Slave" is nonsense, the lyrics are completely different, mostly nonsensical anyway and in any case the general idea is that the singer isn't ready for any commitment to his lady love. Lots of Stones's songs are about that. In any case, as far as I know they have never played it live, but I hope they do so. I am curious what the new rhythm section would make of it.

They've been playing Brown Sugar live for 52 years now, if anyone is suddenly offended, too bad, get a life. You only had five decades to whine and complain. If Jagger doesn't want to sing, oh well. There's at least ten songs he can rotate out of the setlist to keep it company. It's a petty matter.

Date: September 27, 2021 23:55

jumpingjackflash5
drwatts

Mr. Jordan is great professional drummer, but certainly not master of Rolling stones timing and sound.
blah, blah, blah...

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 27, 2021 23:57

NilsHolgersson
BlueTurns2Grey
For all, who couldn't be there:

Street Fighting Man [www.youtube.com]
It's Only Rock'n'Roll [www.youtube.com]
Tumbling Dice [www.youtube.com]
Under My Thumb [www.youtube.com]
19th Nervous Breakdown [www.youtube.com]
Wild Horses (vote song) [www.youtube.com]
You Can't Always Get What You Want [www.youtube.com]
Living In A Ghost Town [www.youtube.com]
Start Me Up [www.youtube.com]
Honky Tonk Women [www.youtube.com]
Intro [www.youtube.com]
Happy (Keith) [www.youtube.com]
Slipping Away (Keith) [www.youtube.com]
Miss You [www.youtube.com]
Midnight Rambler [www.youtube.com]
Paint It Black [www.youtube.com]
Sympathy For The Devil [www.youtube.com]
Jumping Jack Flash [www.youtube.com]
Gimme Shelter [www.youtube.com]
Satisfaction [www.youtube.com]

They look on fire.. a European Tour 2022 doesn't seem too unlikely.. !

thumbs up

To the band members: Please come to Scandinavia next summer if anyone of you or people near you are reading this forum! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 28, 2021 00:04

Rokyfan
matxil
The Sicilian

Thinking about it from that point of view, it didn't occur to me they didn't play the song to pander to the woke crowd. If that's true it's horrible. That being said, if it is true, we'll never hear "Slave" now.

It's not horrible at all not wanting to offend a large group of people who have been on the receiving end of gross injustice. You wouldn't sing about the holocaust either, would you?
The comparison with "Slave" is nonsense, the lyrics are completely different, mostly nonsensical anyway and in any case the general idea is that the singer isn't ready for any commitment to his lady love. Lots of Stones's songs are about that. In any case, as far as I know they have never played it live, but I hope they do so. I am curious what the new rhythm section would make of it.

If they were responding to protests it would be horrible. But that’s not what happened. Mick is simply not comfortable singing it anymore. It’s not a matter of not offending people. Nobody has any right not to be offended. But an artist has the right to exercise discretion, unpressured

Even if that's true, it's still disappointing. These guys become less and less like what they used to project with each passing year. BS was always one of the highlights of each show, and really besides JJF the only song that I absolutely had to have played at each show. I was going to try and get to one of the shows someway somehow, but will wait and see how the next couple go and see if the no BS holds first. That would seriously cause me to think long and hard on what is already a difficult decision for all the other reasons that people are sitting out this one.

Date: September 28, 2021 00:13

drwatts
jumpingjackflash5
drwatts

blah, blah, blah...

I just got myself together and listened through the entire concert, best recordings available. All I can say is that we cannot blame the session players for the fact that the band doesn't swing. Actually the session players swing.
However the guitar section has become very minimalistic by now -too minimalistic. No pun intended. Jagger's harp playing is stil great and I liked Darryl's and Tim's solo on Miss You a lot.

RIP Charlie.

Posted by: Ebling ()
Date: September 28, 2021 00:20

It was a great, albeit bittersweet, experience last night. 'Twas great to see that the fans milling around the venue were clearly happy and excited about the evening ahead. Always cool to make small talk, compare shows you've been to, etc... This aspect hasn't changed at all. Lots of Charlie talk also. The quiet, unassuming guy left a huge goddamn footprint and everyone is cognizant and respectful of it. Quite a thing to see and be around. Lots of Charlie shirts.

The video opening brought tears to my eyes immediately. To hear the entire stadium cheer Charlie's memory was fantastic, though, and it lifted me up. By now you've likely gotten the song-by-song but for me the highlights were the killer SFM opener, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Wild Horses, Ghost Town, Rambler, SFTD, and Gimme Shelter. Honorable mention to Steve Jordan in the most impossible position a musician could possibly be in. Dude is world-class.

Jagger will forever be the standard. Everytime he walks on stage he pushes the mark that much further. That he holds hands with KR to speak of Charlie to the crowd is no small thing. These guys are feeling 10x what the fans are. Sad and therapeutic for them I suppose.

So glad I was there. So glad I was able to bring my twins to their 2nd Stones show. I'm a lucky guy. Still love this band. LFG!!!

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 28, 2021 00:26

Watching Keith on Sympathy and JJF, what happened, where has he been, all we know is HE IS BACK.

Don't say i didn't tell ya hot smiley

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 28, 2021 00:32

Just looked at Chicago 1997 and how they did 24 songs in the same time it now takes them to do 19. I wonder why they're so devoted to spending almost a half hour just to play Rambler and Miss You.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 28, 2021 00:45

Send It To me
It's possible on Brown Sugar that they asked the African Americans in the band how they felt about it.

It's possible Mick just doesn't feel comfortable singing it at the moment.

It's possible they just don't want to attract attention to it in a review and risk getting "cancelled."

I do hope that it is your explanation number 2 that is valid, and none of the other two.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 28, 2021 00:52

Thanks so much for everyone who posted on here with videos, comments and so much more to make this such a wonderful site to follow The Rolling Stones.

Still going through it all as I couldn't stay up late here in UK, and didn't get a chance to go through all the pages today.

One thing I know for certain is that this first gig of the USA Tour was wonderful, and a genuinely really nice tribute to dear Charlie.

Will take it all in on Tuesday and already looking forward to the gig coming up on Thursday at Charlotte.
Many thanks to you all. smileys with beer

St Louis - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 28, 2021 01:00

REUTERS/Lawrence Bryant

REUTERS/Lawrence Bryant

Date: September 28, 2021 01:02

REUTERS/Lawrence Bryant

REUTERS/Lawrence Bryant

Date: September 28, 2021 01:04

REUTERS/Lawrence Bryant

REUTERS/Lawrence Bryant

Re: St Louis - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 28, 2021 01:07

bye bye johnny

BACKGRID

BACKGRID
Will they be doing the same speech and homage in every show? The video at the beginning was nice....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 28, 2021 01:22

I know they don‘t play solo tunes but I was somehow hoping that Keith would play Make No Mistake to remember Sarah Dash, escecially with Steve on drums...
Seems to have been a fantastic concert anyway...I love the little licks Steve throws in to pay homage to Charlie: The dotted quarter notes at the beginning of the second verse in IORR or not playing the hi hat on the twos and fours in some (or all?) songs.

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: September 28, 2021 02:11

They played Brown Sugar in Miami 2019. Charlie’s last show.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 28, 2021 02:59

Thanks to "BlueTurns2Grey" for the list of video links. I have added the list to the first post of this thread.

Bjornulf

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 28, 2021 03:18

Just watched the video of Gimme Shelter.
Greatness still there , still powerful, we know Charlie would approve.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 28, 2021 03:34

That was a very good SFTD.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: September 28, 2021 04:18

Lady Jayne
The Sicilian
I wasn't there, but the show seemed sloppy to me from the videos. 19th Nervous Breakdown was horrible including the singing. This is just another rehash of the same greatest hits setlist run for the past couple decades. The Charlie Watts mention was cheesy and awkward with the hand holding thing. How about putting your arm around each other and poor Ronnie getting no love.

Another thing, I think someone is covering Keith's playing off stage. If you listen to Wild Horses and watch the videos you can clearly see and HEAR some other electric guitar being played while Ronnie was hitting the chords and Keith was really doing nothing on acoustic.

The hand holding was slightly awkward, which made me think it wasn't rehearsed and was authentic. Grief is awkward. I thought it was initiated by Keith and was a very typical Keith gesture of warmth and solidarity. These are elderly British men with a complicated history, performing in public within weeks of losing a lifelong friend and colleague, likely to make them realise their own mortality. Tough gig!

Spot on Lady Jayne, eloquently said.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: September 28, 2021 04:18

From the videos I've watched, I think the band was on target most of the night. There may have been a few lapses or mistakes but overall they sounded very, very good. In my opinion anyway. I certainly look forward to seeing them in Nashville and Atlanta.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 04:24 by RSbestbandever.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: September 28, 2021 04:38

Still The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World!

It was an incredibly sad chapter in their history with
the passing of Charlie, but here they are writing the pages
of the next chapter with this tour & hopefully new album
soon?

I know the book is getting near the end but I still love reading it.

I thought the concert sounded pretty good especially for listening
to phone recordings. I love the stretch in 'Midnight Rambler'
& the coda for 'YCAGWYW'.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 28, 2021 04:49

It's very disappointing to read people label that moment between the three Stones as "awkward" or "cheesy." It's very clear by the videos that Ronnie and Keith rushed in to support Mick who was obviously struggling to get the task done of saying a few words about the friend they just lost. Keith looked over saw the signs on Mick's face and the cracks in his voice that the emotions were welling up and so he showed his support by grabbing his hand. It was a genuine moment of warmth and love and for fans who weren't there to cynically dismiss it as anything but--especially during these times--is cold and just downright awful.

Date: September 28, 2021 04:56

Justin
It's very disappointing to read people label that moment between the three Stones as "awkward" or "cheesy." It's very clear by the videos that Ronnie and Keith rushed in to support Mick who was obviously struggling to get the task done of saying a few words about the friend they just lost. Keith looked over saw the signs on Mick's face and the cracks in his voice that the emotions were welling up and so he showed his support by grabbing his hand. It was a genuine moment of warmth and love and for fans who weren't there to cynically dismiss it as anything but--especially during these times--is cold and just downright awful.
Unfortunately some folks are just downright awful. That doesn't mean the rest of us have to be. Ignore the negativity and celebrate the Stones while we still have the chance.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home