Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 28
Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:11

CindyC
…I am going to Pittsburgh next week…

Hope to see you there!

Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: September 27, 2021 20:13

To my ears Steve Jordan drives the band a bit more than Charlie did, at least he tends to syncopate the beat a bit more. Is he better than Charlie? No, he is younger and different. No one can replace Mr Watts. Jordan's drumming also makes it apparent that what's left of the Stones make them lean more and more on the session players, up to a point that it might become painful. Only time will tell.

St Louis - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:17

Rolling Stones review – a funky, heavy first show without Charlie Watts

Edward Helmore
27 Sep 2021

Bill Greenblatt/UPI/Rex/Shutterstock

The Dome at America’s Center, St Louis, Missouri

The veteran rockers return to the road with an emotional tribute to their longtime drummer and a reinvigorated sense of purpose

For many musicians, it has been an emotional return to live music after the coronavirus pandemic put a protracted end to touring. For the Rolling Stones, picking up their No Filter tour in Chuck Berry’s hometown of St Louis, Missouri, the stakes are even higher. Not only have the stalwart performers not played in more than two years; it’s also a commemoration for drummer Charlie Watts, who died last month.

It opens with an empty stage and only a drumbeat, with photos of Watts projected on the stage backdrop. The band appear, kicking their way through Street Fighting Man and It’s Only Rock’N’Roll (But I Like It), before Mick Jagger pauses the show to devote the tour to Watts’s memory. He along with Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood, walk centre stage to thank fans for the outpouring of love and support for Watts.

“It’s good to back on a big stage. It’s really quite emotional seeing these pictures of Charlie up the screen,” he said, before dedicating Tumbling Dice to Watts. “This our first tour we’ve ever done without him. So all this stuff – the reaction from you guys, all the things you’ve said … that we have heard from you – it’s been really touching.”

The Rolling Stones have lost band members before but none perhaps as significant as the laconic Watts. Super fans will argue about the impact of his loss; some have said there’s no Stones without him. “Charlie wasn’t going to do the tour and gave Jordan his approval,” counters Chris Bowers, a veteran fan who has seen more than 70 Stones shows. “If he gave his approval, that’s fine with me. Who am I to say otherwise?”

With a tight new rhythm section centred on newcomer Steve Jordan, it feels like the group has invigorated and amplified its dirty blues and funk as a response to pervasive uncertainty. The emotional cast to the show is evident, as if the band are playing to and for Watts. But so too is it the opening of a new chapter. After the fifth song, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Richards walks back to clasp Jordan’s wrist and say, “yeah, it works”, and laughs.

Jordan, of course, is a veteran of Richards’ solo albums, Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender. His drumming is propulsive (he owns Sly and the Family Stone Greg Errico’s 12-inch high-hats, to give some idea of his learnings) and his addition brings the band closer to the tougher rock of Richards’ solo work. The overall approach appears to be: kick it down a gear and accelerate. And especially on funkier on songs like Miss You, with Darryl Jones’s phenomenal bass solo; on their concert epics, Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter; and on their stalwart hits Jumpin’ Jack Flash and (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, the Stones take the corner with exhilaration.

With 45 tours under their belt, the Stones have been playing out more frequently in recent years than they have since the mid-1960s. That alone is tribute to the stamina of the band’s songwriters, Jagger and Richards, as much as the mutual inspiration and energy transfer between band and audience.

“It’s been a bit of ride to get here, you know,” Richards acknowledges later in the set. He’s referring to getting back on the road after Covid – days earlier the band put out a public service message encouraging concertgoers to get vaxxed up – but he could have been describing a number of different things. “We can all make this happen,” he said.

Those bonds of resilience, especially here in the midwest, heartland of the band’s most passionate US support for decades, are celebrated as a kind of post-corona coming out: beaten up, yes; beaten down, not so much.

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:19

What would the young leftist feminist think of this song?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:19

Rokyfan
PhillyFAN

I have read Brown Sugar was written when MJ was much younger.An ode to slavery and beating black women and basically forcing them to get down on your knees for oral sex was never okay. MJ's first child is black woman. Great music and beat tho but the lyrics are foul.I wonder the reception if a black man sang a song about beating and forcing white women to have oral sex? Wouldn't be a top 40 favorite

2. You have the oral sex part backwards . . . the singer is describing how good the "brown sugar" tastes. The record was released with the debut of the tongue logo. You get the picture.

4. Again, it's a work of art. It's "about" slavery, black girls that taste good as well as brown sugar heroin. It's complicated. Too complicated for today, where any sort of nuance is dead.

That said, I don't think its a big deal that Mick has decided not to sing it anymore, notwithstanding the obvious blatant hypocrisy of the woke warriors, as others have pointed out re rap lyrics, etc.

Thinking about it from that point of view, it didn't occur to me they didn't play the song to pander to the woke crowd. If that's true it's horrible. That being said, if it is true, we'll never hear "Slave" now.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:22

As for watching various youtube videos, and the variety of clips or livestreams on facebook or whatever...

In some cases the quality might actually be an improvement vs. being there live in a nosebleed seat a mile away from the stage and surrounded by loud boisterous fans singing at the top of their lungs.
There's alot of variables such as the position of whoever is filmig it, and the sound quality of the device you're listening from at home, but to say you can't properly judge the quality of a show based on videos,
livestream, etc. isn't an absolute fact or 100% accurate. Of course if you're in the Pit or in a decent seat and fully in the moment LIVE, nothing can beat that overall experience, but sometimes a recording will suffice.

Date: September 27, 2021 20:23

'Here's to You, Charlie': Rolling Stones Start Up First Tour Without Charlie Watts

By Marc Schneider
9/27/2021

Jeff Curry/Getty Images

"Here's to you, Charlie!" isn't the tagline for the Rolling Stones' restarted No Filter Tour, but it very well could be. The legendary band, which turns 60 next year, resumed its pandemic-paused tour on Sunday (Sept. 26) with moving tributes to their late-great drummer Charlie Watts and a 19-song set of rock 'n' roll masterworks at The Dome at America's Center in St. Louis.

The show was the band's first tour date since Watts' death on Aug. 24 at 80, and marked the launch of a fourth leg of a trek that began in 2017 and was meant to wrap last year. A pandemic got in the way of that.

A visual tribute to Watts on the stage's four massive video walls kicked off the night before the band ripped right into on-point versions of "Street Fighting Man" and "It's Only Rock ‘N' Roll (But I Like It)," followed by what could be described as a heart-to-heart between the group's longest-serving members and the audience, some of whom may have been caught unawares.

"It's great to be back playin' a big stage, I tell ya," said Mick Jagger, flanked by co-founder Keith Richards and longtime member Ronnie Wood. "This is the first show of our tour. It was really quite emotional seeing those pictures of Charlie up on the screen. This is the first tour that we've ever done without him so I think all the reaction from you guys and all the things that you've said and we've heard from you has been really touching. And I really wanted to thank you very much."

Growing emotional, Jagger added that "we all miss Charlie so much on the stage and off the stage and we'd like to dedicate this tour… to Charlie. So, Here's to you Charlie!"

With that the band poured on the classics, from a "Tumbling Dice" that featured twin-Telecaster interplay between Richards and Wood, to rollicking versions of "Under My Thumb" and "19th Nervous Breakdown." Other staples followed, including a ballad break with "Wild Horses" and an inspired "Can't Always Get What You Want," which Jagger helped to fill out with some acoustic guitar. Other fan favorites included the loose-in-a-good-way "Start Me Up" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash," the Americana classic "Honky Tonk Woman," disco-tinged "Miss You" and the psych-rock freakout of "Paint It Black." Richards gave Jagger a breather midway through the gig and fronted his "Happy" and "Slipping Away."

Filling Watts' legendary seat this tour is Steve Jordan, who played with a joyful intensity the entire night. (Like his predecessor, he plays with a jazz grip and occasionally skips the hi-hat on the backbeat — a nice bit of synergy.) The band is filled out by longtime touring members Darryl Jones on bass, Chuck Leavell on keys, Tim Riess and Karl Denson handling saxophones and Matt Clifford on multiple instruments. Backing vocals came courtesy of Bernard Fowler and Sasha Allen, who shimmered in a Tina Turner-esque dress while belting "Gimme Shelter," one of the night's encores.

Nevermind their combined age clocks in at 229 (MJ 78, KR 77, RW 74), the core trio of the band remain in miraculously good shape, and Jagger's durable voice — with its wide range from whine-and-snarl to a more delicate touch on ballads — is cracking good. Richards, meanwhile, wore a perma-smile to match his leopard-print shirt, Asics and assorted accoutrements, while Woody bounced around the stage like a performer half his age.

"Cheeky Mick" was another whole vibe throughout the night and at one point the singer told the crowd that gymnast Simone Biles and billionaire Stan Kroenke were in the house. The former, who is on record loving St. Louis' love-it-or-hate-it version of pizza and therefore is now an honorary St. Louisan, was in fact across the country (in Los Angeles) performing as part of her own tour. The latter, who returned the NFL's Rams to L.A. after two decades in STL, was also likely in the City of Angels on Sunday, watching his team beat the Buccaneers.

Jagger made sure to drop some local references, joking that he grabbed a BLT at nearby Crown Candy and housed a "frozen concrete" at Ted Drewes before going down the 10-story slide at the City Museum. "That was not the most brilliant idea I ever had," he quipped. Though he very likely didn't do any of those things, Jagger did get some sightseeing in when he hit up the Gateway Arch in the days leading up to the show.

Nods to a virus that has upended all daily life -- including the Stones' touring plans -- over the last year and a half were scant, though Jagger did give it a mention while teeing up the only new song in the set, "Living In a Ghost Town," recorded in 2019 but released about a month into the COVID-19 pandemic. "I think we're gonna do our lockdown song from last year," he said. "Hope it doesn't happen again."

Proof of vaccination or a negative test wasn't required for entry on Sunday, though face masks were a must at the indoor show (except while eating or drinking). A local hospital system set up shop at the Dome to offer Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, a now-regular occurrence at large scale live music events in the COVID era. The area's vaccination rates stand at 55% fully vaccinated among eligible individuals in St. Louis city and 63% in St. Louis County, according to available CDC data.

Mask requirements vary across the region and new cases are down, however the CDC considers the area to be at high risk of community transmission of the virus.

On Friday, the band posted a video on their socials asking fans who plan to see them this fall to get the shot or at least get tested before coming to see them. "If they want the masks on, put ‘em on — it's no big deal," said Richards.

Technically speaking, this is the fourth leg of the No Filter Tour. Earlier legs tore through Europe (twice) in 2017 and 2018 before a stateside romp in summer 2019. Excluding last night's St. Louis show, the NFT has raked in $415.6 million on nearly 2.3 million tickets sold, according to figures reported to Billboard Boxscore. The band's ongoing, filterless affair hasn't been their top grossing trek, however, falling short (so far) of the $558 million from 2005-07's A Bigger Bang Tour but besting 1994-95's Voodoo Lounge ($319.5m) and 2002-03's Licks ($299.5m) tours.

The Stones now head to Charlotte to play Bank Of America Stadium on Sept. 30, followed by Heinz Field in Pittsburgh on Oct. 4. Other cities getting a visit from the band include Nashville, Atlanta, Detroit and Tampa, as well as Los Angeles where the band will play SoFi Stadium.

[www.billboard.com]

Date: September 27, 2021 20:36

BACKGRID

BACKGRID

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:40

Mick seems to be in really good shape. It's almost unreal how good he is physically considering his age. And the self confidence in everything he does on stage, it's amazing. I don't know if there has been anyone in pop music history who has been so vital in his age.

Musically hard to judge based on these cellphone videos but sounds okay to me. Some people don't like the new drummer I guess because he is "too precise" in comparison with Charlie but the music and the energy as a whole is still there to my ears anyway....

"Never got a flash out of cocktails, when I got some flesh off the bone" , that doesn't seem to be Keith's problem at the moment... smiling smiley

Ronnie looks odd, he has changed his hair style or something...

Date: September 27, 2021 20:44

rollingon
Mick seems to be in really good shape. It's almost unreal how good he is physically considering his age. And the self confidence in everything he does on stage, it's amazing. I don't know if there has been anyone in pop music history who has been so vital in his age.

Not that I know of!

rollingon

He battled cancer you idiot..

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:50

The Sicilian
Rokyfan
PhillyFAN

I have read Brown Sugar was written when MJ was much younger.An ode to slavery and beating black women and basically forcing them to get down on your knees for oral sex was never okay. MJ's first child is black woman. Great music and beat tho but the lyrics are foul.I wonder the reception if a black man sang a song about beating and forcing white women to have oral sex? Wouldn't be a top 40 favorite

2. You have the oral sex part backwards . . . the singer is describing how good the "brown sugar" tastes. The record was released with the debut of the tongue logo. You get the picture.

4. Again, it's a work of art. It's "about" slavery, black girls that taste good as well as brown sugar heroin. It's complicated. Too complicated for today, where any sort of nuance is dead.

That said, I don't think its a big deal that Mick has decided not to sing it anymore, notwithstanding the obvious blatant hypocrisy of the woke warriors, as others have pointed out re rap lyrics, etc.

Hmm...

The song begins with "gold coast slave ship bound for cotten fields sold in a market down in New Orleans. The lyrics clearly speak for themselves. Depsite the fact it is damn good rock n roll and I like it. Lol.MJ said je could never write a song lome that now. Weird Little Richard did a cover of BS.

Thinking about it from that point of view, it didn't occur to me they didn't play the song to pander to the woke crowd. If that's true it's horrible. That being said, if it is true, we'll never hear "Slave" now.

Date: September 27, 2021 20:53

NilsHolgersson
rollingon

Not that I know of!

rollingon

He battled cancer you idiot..

Sorry, I didn't remember this. I can remember now hearing from that but I thought it was a while ago, not just recently.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:56

Very touching to see Keith and Mick holding hands. They really do love each other.

Date: September 27, 2021 20:56

PhillyFAN
Very touching to see Keith and Mick holding hands. They really do love each other.

thumbs up

I think that the loss of Charlie has been so big for both of them that it has brought them closer to each other again.

Keith and Ronne look quite sad in some pictures also so it's obvious that everyone of them are thinking about Charlie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 21:10 by rollingon.

Date: September 27, 2021 21:16

They can still deliver over 2 hour intense rock show and that is quite remarkable I think. I would totally understand if they wouldn't do quite that anymore but it's fantastic they still can do it.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: September 27, 2021 21:21

For all, who couldn't be there:

Street Fighting Man [www.youtube.com]
It's Only Rock'n'Roll [www.youtube.com]
Tumbling Dice [www.youtube.com]
Under My Thumb [www.youtube.com]
19th Nervous Breakdown [www.youtube.com]
Wild Horses (vote song) [www.youtube.com]
You Can't Always Get What You Want [www.youtube.com]
Living In A Ghost Town [www.youtube.com]
Start Me Up [www.youtube.com]
Honky Tonk Women [www.youtube.com]
Intro [www.youtube.com]
Happy (Keith) [www.youtube.com]
Slipping Away (Keith) [www.youtube.com]
Miss You [www.youtube.com]
Midnight Rambler [www.youtube.com]
Paint It Black [www.youtube.com]
Sympathy For The Devil [www.youtube.com]
Jumping Jack Flash [www.youtube.com]
Gimme Shelter [www.youtube.com]
Satisfaction [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 21:40 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 27, 2021 21:24

The Sicilian

It's not horrible at all not wanting to offend a large group of people who have been on the receiving end of gross injustice. You wouldn't sing about the holocaust either, would you?
The comparison with "Slave" is nonsense, the lyrics are completely different, mostly nonsensical anyway and in any case the general idea is that the singer isn't ready for any commitment to his lady love. Lots of Stones's songs are about that. In any case, as far as I know they have never played it live, but I hope they do so. I am curious what the new rhythm section would make of it.

Date: September 27, 2021 21:24

BlueTurns2Grey
For all, who could't be there:

Intro [www.youtube.com]

Thank you

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 27, 2021 21:25

Final bow and nod to Charlie

[youtu.be]

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 27, 2021 21:27

After watching numerous songs on you tube from last night’s show,it’s really sad the swing has gone.Kudos to those who have travelled far and wide to this show and are clearly putting a brave face on things.
The swings gone man

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 27, 2021 21:28

dnewton99
I took crowd pans at end in last 2 song when lights were up.. pretty full though relative to what i thought it would be

It's morning here in New Zealand. I'm pleased yours are up ....

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 27, 2021 21:43

BlueTurns2Grey

Intro [www.youtube.com]

Thankyou for putting these on one list. It's amazing that we can watch the whole show more or less all over the world just via fellow fans.

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: September 27, 2021 21:48

BlueTurns2Grey

Intro [www.youtube.com]
Thank you!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 27, 2021 21:50

SomeTorontoGirl
CindyC
…I am going to Pittsburgh next week…

Hope to see you there!

Yes, I would love that! I'll send you an email.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 27, 2021 21:59

Thanks to all who posted the links - it is truly wonderful to have them all.

The loss of Charlie is going to be a heavy, dark cloud for a very long time. There has been a lot of speculation as to how they would commemorate him, and I think they were note perfect - the opening photo montage, their remarks early in the show, Keith’s tribute with Slipping Away, and his photo over the final bow. This hurts for them far more than it hirts for us, at least we can remember Charlie where where we loved him best.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 27, 2021 22:30

Anybody planning an upload of the show in either video or audio form like in years past?

I know it's only been 1 day so I'll just keep watching...but I'd like to make a souvenir copy for my friends in which this was their first show.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 27, 2021 22:47

matxil
The Sicilian

It's not horrible at all not wanting to offend a large group of people who have been on the receiving end of gross injustice. You wouldn't sing about the holocaust either, would you?
The comparison with "Slave" is nonsense, the lyrics are completely different, mostly nonsensical anyway and in any case the general idea is that the singer isn't ready for any commitment to his lady love. Lots of Stones's songs are about that. In any case, as far as I know they have never played it live, but I hope they do so. I am curious what the new rhythm section would make of it.

If they were responding to protests it would be horrible. But that’s not what happened. Mick is simply not comfortable singing it anymore. It’s not a matter of not offending people. Nobody has any right not to be offended. But an artist has the right to exercise discretion, unpressured

Date: September 27, 2021 22:49

BlueTurns2Grey

Intro [www.youtube.com]

They look on fire.. a European Tour 2022 doesn't seem too unlikely.. !

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 22:56

Thanks for the updates. Also I enjoyed bv’s report, although very moving! Just listened to the live version of Ghost town. Wow!! I think that’s really good! It looks like the audience were quiet but good response at the end…

Date: September 27, 2021 23:02

Wow mick jagger is just unbelievable.

Rambler suits this band perfect. Some songs a bit weird without charlie

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home