Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28
Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:03

thrak
I'm reading comments about Steve Jordan playing in St. Louis. Some folks says he was awful, he didn't nail Charlie's style. For sake, Steve Jordan is not Charlie Watts and no matter what he is not gonna play the same way.
I have huge respect for Steve for his work and decision to play with Stones. It's probably the best and the worst job in music busissines at the same time. Imagine what is he feeling? Maybe - f**k i'm a Rolling Stones drummer now. I'm here to replace the best rock n roll drummer ever and one of the coolest man ever walked on this planet.

You'eve got to have balls to do that. Steve, hats off.

I'm watching videos and see how is Keith and look - he is close to Steve, don't go to cat walk or whatevere like he would like to say - Hey Steve I'm here. I'm not gonna leave you alone. You're doing great. Thanks mate.

So once again. Steve Jordan rocks and i love the man altough i miss Charlie very much.

Reading the comments I was about to write something like this. His style is defintely different but he's doing a tremendous job. Hopefully he can release some of the pressure he surely has on his shoulders and play a bit more loosely in the next concerts. Thank you for filling in and hats off to Steve Jordan.

Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:05

initial thoughts:

Top 5 Stones show, maybe even top 5 any show, nothing too different than what they have been doing the last several years but it was just them at their most real playing their hearts out and getting very emotional doing it. Mick was actually choking up while singing early in the set.

My spot was perfect, it was LOUD and with the roof blocking out ambient light it made the visuals that much more vivid.
There were a few changes to the songs themselves like Steve Jordan playing a live drum intro to Sympathy and Mick slowing down on Satisfaction and trying to sing it like the original at least on the first verses.

Living In A Ghost Town is the best song they have put out since One Hit To The Body and also the first time I remember seeing them put a new song in the set that the people around me actually want to see them do.

I know people are bummed that Keith isn't picking 2 different songs to sing every tour but Happy or Before They Make Me Run and Slipping Away is the best Keith segment I have ever seen them do.

On a more personal level I couldn't have asked for a better seat and one of my complaints about classic rock events are both the volume and the crowd but everyone around me was digging it and it was L O U D.

The band barely scratches the surface on Brian Jones era songs and seems to be somewhat alienated from their catalog and how the fans connect with it but 19th Nervous Breakdown was probably the best received song in my section.

Very rare to get songs like Under My Thumb, 19th Nervous Breakdown and Paint It Black all in the same show.

Might squeeze in another show in addition to the 2 LA shows. Austin would be the best bet for obvious reasons but don't like the way the venue looks on the map.

Posted by: jon12345 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:08

dnewton99
kowalski
dnewton99
Videos slowly uploading here.. slow hotel wifi..
[www.youtube.com]

Donna

Thanks ! Great videos. Feels like I was there thumbs up

Thank you I was Row 12 Seat 1 and for once the security kept people in the seat area so not many heads in way. Hard to get seats 1-4 though - presale luck.. not even fan presale I bet. more vids live now

Are you saying security stopped people from standing during the show in the floor seats?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:11

Probably best version of Satisfaction I've ever head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 19:11 by Send It To me.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:16

PhillyFAN
matxil
tatters
Nikkei
I wouldn't overdramatize the lack of Brown Sugar, it's probably going to be back in a week (more than enough time for several cancel culture meltdowns of course)

I don't know. It's not like it's a song that rotates in and out of the setlist. Prior to last night, it had been played at every Stones concert since Altamont.

So, it was about time for7 a change then.

I have read Brown Sugar was written when MJ was much younger.An ode to slavery amd beating black women and basically forcing them to get down on your knees for oral sex was never okay.MJ's first child is black woman. Great music and beat tho but the lyrics are foul.I wonder the reception if a black man sang a song about beating and forcing white women to have oral sex? Wouldn't be a top 40 favorte.

Really I don't see how it's anymore offensive than the sh!t that passes for hiphop music these days and words that I hear ROUTINELY on the radio - c-nt, c-ck, Fk. Nicki Minaj; Lil-Anything; Cardi B. It's all trash that comes pouring out of their trampy mouths. BS is TAME by comparison.

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:20

So happy and so much in tears seing videos and photos and reading reports.
Many, many thanks BV, Irix, VodooLounge13 and all!
Love their tribute to Charlie Watts. Literally cried again...
The playing for me is great (I hear the difference, yes,but I can enjoy this version too), and the singing, and the show.
Actually I worried much and was ready for the fact they could not play anymore. But no! They can and they play!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:20

I wasn't there, but the show seemed sloppy to me from the videos. 19th Nervous Breakdown was horrible including the singing. This is just another rehash of the same greatest hits setlist run for the past couple decades. The Charlie Watts mention was cheesy and awkward with the hand holding thing. How about putting your arm around each other and poor Ronnie getting no love.

Another thing, I think someone is covering Keith's playing off stage. If you listen to Wild Horses and watch the videos you can clearly see and HEAR some other electric guitar being played while Ronnie was hitting the chords and Keith was really doing nothing on acoustic.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:25

jon12345
dnewton99
kowalski
dnewton99
Videos slowly uploading here.. slow hotel wifi..
[www.youtube.com]

Donna

Thanks ! Great videos. Feels like I was there thumbs up

Thank you I was Row 12 Seat 1 and for once the security kept people in the seat area so not many heads in way. Hard to get seats 1-4 though - presale luck.. not even fan presale I bet. more vids live now

Are you saying security stopped people from standing during the show in the floor seats?

No sorry if I wasn't clear. Everyone was standing.. They just prevented people from stepping into the "aisle" between seats and the catwalk which preserved my clear view.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:27

Thanks Irix for posting all the videos on page 14. thumbs up

Watched quite a bit of it live here last night via fb links (albeit some of them distant and weak), but now can settle back and absorb with the much higher quality vids....and wow, there's some good ones there.

Happy that Keith played Happy...smiling smiley

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:29

tiffanyblu
dnewton99
I took crowd pans at end in last 2 song when lights were up.. pretty full though relative to what i thought it would be

Love pans of the audience. Can you share?

here is one of mine with a bit of crowd at 3:30 [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:30

dnewton99
tiffanyblu
dnewton99
I took crowd pans at end in last 2 song when lights were up.. pretty full though relative to what i thought it would be

Love pans of the audience. Can you share?

here is one of mine with a bit of crowd at 3:30 [www.youtube.com]

Thx smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:30

PhillyFAN

I wonder the reception if a black man sang a song about beating and forcing white women to have oral sex? Wouldn't be a top 40 favorte.

Really? I always thought rap music did very well on the charts.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:32

Just read BVs review which was very touching. I am going to Pittsburgh next week and was wondering if I would be able to enjoy it, or simply be too sad seeing them up there, hearing how things are different, while at the same time, so happy to be there seeing Mick, Keith, Ronnie and the rest of the guys. I think it's going to be a mixed bag for all of us for quite some time.

I am thrilled that they are speaking out about Charlie. I know they don't typically put themselves out there in such a fashion, but Charlie's loss is so important: for us, for them, for the music, for the legacy. Personally, I needed to have them acknowledge him in front of a crowd, so thank you for that. It does help somewhat.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:35

The Sicilian
I wasn't there, but the show seemed sloppy to me from the videos. 19th Nervous Breakdown was horrible including the singing. This is just another rehash of the same greatest hits setlist run for the past couple decades. The Charlie Watts mention was cheesy and awkward with the hand holding thing. How about putting your arm around each other and poor Ronnie getting no love.

Another thing, I think someone is covering Keith's playing off stage. If you listen to Wild Horses and watch the videos you can clearly see and HEAR some other electric guitar being played while Ronnie was hitting the chords and Keith was really doing nothing on acoustic.

While I disagree with your review, and I, too, was not there. I must say, I did notice during one of the songs - which one I don't remember, but it wasn't too far into the show - that it seemed like there was another guitar somewhere, as Keef was walking toward Ronnie (with an electric guitar) and wasn't playing, and Ronnie wasn't doing much either, but there was still a guitar sound filling the arena. It made me wonder if they weren't actually using a backing track of some sort, kind of like guitar lip-sincing.....I was kind of shocked by that, but then I thought it was just me. Glad someone else noticed it as well.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:36

bv
Steve Jordan made a great performance with The Rolling Stones at the show in St. Louis last night. He is a great drummer, a strong one, also with a great smile, and I noticed both Keith and Ronnie stayed back there with Steve Jordan just as much as they used to stay back with Charlie, if not more.

The songs will be different. Some not so much, others quite a bit. If you go to one show per tour, and you do not hear Paint It Black live too often, then may be it is not that important. They say time heal. Also there is a new dimension. It will be interesting to see these new versions, the new power, the different way of doing things.

One thing is for sure. It would be a shame if these guys simply retired now. They do still rock and roll.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:39

PhillyFAN
matxil
tatters
Nikkei
I wouldn't overdramatize the lack of Brown Sugar, it's probably going to be back in a week (more than enough time for several cancel culture meltdowns of course)

I don't know. It's not like it's a song that rotates in and out of the setlist. Prior to last night, it had been played at every Stones concert since Altamont.

So, it was about time for7 a change then.

I have read Brown Sugar was written when MJ was much younger.An ode to slavery amd beating black women and basically forcing them to get down on your knees for oral sex was never okay.MJ's first child is black woman. Great music and beat tho but the lyrics are foul.I wonder the reception if a black man sang a song about beating and forcing white women to have oral sex? Wouldn't be a top 40 favorte.

MJ is on record as saying he probably wouldn't write BS now - which begs all sorts of questions as to what he meant, but I have never 'read' the song as an 'ode' to the narrative it describes - in other words, he's not praising or glorifying slavery. With all his faults, it would be absurd to suggest MJ is racist, approves of slavery or sexual violence against women (any more than he was ever a street fighting man or necessarily had sympathy for the devil!) Sometimes irony and metaphor are lost on listeners.
But I am white and privileged so I can well appreciate others may read the lyrics differently. If the band have made a conscious decision to jettison BS on an American tour to avoid the possibility of hurting those already hurt then good for them. I'm not convinced it won't make a return at some stage.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:40

I do have the highest respect of Steve Jordan.

When I arrived to the studio in Boston early September, where they did their rehearsals, I did say hello to everyone in "Band 2" i.e. all those who help in on stage making their terrific sound and performance. Every day. Arriving and leaving. It was low key, they arrive, with masks, I had a mask, and I was there every day. Until then, it seemed like they did not have any steady fans waiting for them every day all day.

It took a day or two until Steve Jordan started to say hi and wave to me, and to get used to the man with the red striped jacket, hanging around all day at the studio entrance. Then as the days went by he was just like the others, accepting me as part of the drill, I was there, he said hi and I was happy and he was part of the band for me. You can see a smile even if people have a mask.

Then at the performance last night, I could see he is a true performer on stage. His drum kit has got a different sound. Sure it is a Gretch, a black one, but that is the only similarity vs Charlie. His cymbals are organized differently, his drumming is different. The way he pump the beat is different. He is not a jazz drummer. He is more funky, probably more in control of the beat drive, and how the songs are flowing.

I see Ronnie and Keith like it back there with their new drummer. It's music and rock'n'roll. That is what they love, and that is what they keep doing. We will never get Charlie back, it is a sad fact, depressing but such is life. Some times love is turning into pain. Without love no pain, without love no pleasure. Pleasure and pain are unfortunately coming together, just divided in time.

I hope I can get more time to appreciate Steve Jordan and the way he is playing. Don't know if Paint It Black will ever be like I loved it, like it was when they played it always in Spain and in Argentina, where the ground was shaking, and the fans were like an explosion in joy and pleasure.

Still, I don't want some copycat almost identical to Charlie and his style. It would be unprofessional, like having the solo on "Comfortably Numb" at a Roger Waters show copied to the bits by a great technical player, still it's not David Gilmore, unless Gilmore is actually there. Same with Charlie. I don't want someone to "pretend" being Charlie. I am happy with Steve Jordan, it just takes time to handle the loss of Charlie, and the strong print he made on their songs.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:41

VoodooLounge13
The Sicilian

While I disagree with your review, and I, too, was not there. I must say, I did notice during one of the songs - which one I don't remember, but it wasn't too far into the show - that it seemed like there was another guitar somewhere, as Keef was walking toward Ronnie (with an electric guitar) and wasn't playing, and Ronnie wasn't doing much either, but there was still a guitar sound filling the arena. It made me wonder if they weren't actually using a backing track of some sort, kind of like guitar lip-sincing.....I was kind of shocked by that, but then I thought it was just me. Glad someone else noticed it as well.

I've wondered at times during the past few tours if one of the keyboard players is adding a guitar part.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:43

Great vids, dnewton99!

Date: September 27, 2021 19:47

Thanks for the very heartfelt and honest review Bjornulf, and not holding back on your feelings about missing Charlie, along some of Steve Jordan's contributions.

These quotes especially hit home regarding the absence of Charlie:

"Then "Under My Thumb". Suddenly I was all in tears. I missed Charlie, his drumming, the song was different, Charlie should have been here.
I just could not smile or enjoy the song. Then "19th Nervous Breakdown". The same. Sadness and tears".

'"Paint It Black" was just so sad, I struggled with it. It was such a different song. Steve Jordan is a great drummer, but he is not a copycat.
Charlie is not here anymore, and my absolute favorite "Paint It Black" will never ever be the same song live.
It is so sad. Steve Jordan worked hard, it was like a funky song, all so different".

"I hope one day I will be able to walk out of a Stones with a smile on my face, but not today. It was so sad, but I know they did a great show tonight. I just miss Charlie".

-----------------------------------------------------------

Things should get better for the band and you, and hopefully you'll be smiling non-stop throughout every show on the rest of the tour, and whatever shows might follow beyond the horizon.

Thanks again, and I look forward to following the tour here on IORR, as well as attending one (maybe two) shows when they come out here to the SoCal area down in L.A.
Hopefully we will bump in to each other again for a quick hello...maybe in the Pit fully enjoying whats left of the Stones.

Stay safe and keep on rolling...............................

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:50

People watching cell phone video's from home should not provide reviews.

A specific comment may be appropriate, but there is no way a cell phone can recreate the live experience enough to form a review, or even a solid opinion in most cases.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:54

PhillyFAN

What you have read is correct ... BS was written when MJ was much younger. However you are wrong about the following:

1. BS is no more an "ode" to slavery and raping black women than Midnight Rambler is an "ode" to serial killers, or Sympathy is an "ode to Satan. Its a song, a work of art. Mick is not singing in the first person. He's not endorsing the conduct he is singing about. This is pretty basic.

2. You have the oral sex part backwards . . . the singer is describing how good the "brown sugar" tastes. The record was released with the debut of the tongue logo. You get the picture.

3. The mother of Mick's child you reference is Marsha Hunt, reputed to be one of the inspirations for the song because, well, you guess.

4. Again, it's a work of art. It's "about" slavery, black girls that taste good as well as brown sugar heroin. It's complicated. Too complicated for today, where any sort of nuance is dead.

That said, I don't think its a big deal that Mick has decided not to sing it anymore, notwithstanding the obvious blatant hypocrisy of the woke warriors, as others have pointed out re rap lyrics, etc.

I mean, oral sex??? We can't have that in pop music.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:55

The Sicilian

The hand holding was slightly awkward, which made me think it wasn't rehearsed and was authentic. Grief is awkward. I thought it was initiated by Keith and was a very typical Keith gesture of warmth and solidarity. These are elderly British men with a complicated history, performing in public within weeks of losing a lifelong friend and colleague, likely to make them realise their own mortality. Tough gig!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:56

As much as I miss Charlie like everybody else here on the IORR land, I’m pleased to hear Steve help reinventing those familiar Stones songs, giving them a new texture, which is so refreshing in one way or the other.

It would be more unnatural, even frightening, if the sound of this new version of the Stones hasn’t changed one bit, faithful to what they sounded like in the previous times when Charlie hit the drums.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 27, 2021 19:58

Rokyfan
PhillyFAN

What you have read is correct ... BS was written when MJ was much younger. However you are wrong about the following:

1. BS is no more an "ode" to slavery and raping black women than Midnight Rambler is an "ode" to serial killers, or Sympathy is an "ode to Satan. Its a song, a work of art. Mick is not singing in the first person. He's not endorsing the conduct he is singing about. This is pretty basic.

2. You have the oral sex part backwards . . . the singer is describing how good the "brown sugar" tastes. The record was released with the debut of the tongue logo. You get the picture.

3. The mother of Mick's child you reference is Marsha Hunt, reputed to be one of the inspirations for the song because, well, you guess.

4. Again, it's a work of art. It's "about" slavery, black girls that taste good as well as brown sugar heroin. It's complicated. Too complicated for today, where any sort of nuance is dead.

That said, I don't think its a big deal that Mick has decided not to sing it anymore, notwithstanding the obvious blatant hypocrisy of the woke warriors, as others have pointed out re rap lyrics, etc.

I mean, oral sex??? We can't have that in pop music.

Agree with Rokyfan here

Date: September 27, 2021 20:01

TheflyingDutchman
Is it just me but it looks like something has changed in Jagger's facial
expression?

I noticed something with the eyes in the promo clip and a pic with Robert Kraft, along with some of these recent pics and videos...looking a bit tired...a bit older...maybe due to the overall sadness of the situation...

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:02

They sounded great from the vids I’ve seen, oftentimes a stream or video doesn’t have the greatest of sound quality, but the sound was great last night even over a stream. It must have been killer in the venue.

It was the first real gig in front of their own fans last night, paint it black could sound different 3-4 gigs into the run. Rehearsal is one thing, playing in front of a crowd with adrenaline flowing is another. It’s likely to take a few shows before we know how Steve knits in, but on the basis of last night it’s all good.

The tributes to Charlie, on the screens and Micks speech were really touching. Mick must sorely miss Charlie’s input to stage design, lighting & merchandise.

Keith once said “no one should leave this band except in a pine box”

Let the stones keep rolling as long as possible.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:04

Green Lady
Here's Slipping Away at last. Nice video too.

[www.youtube.com]

Many thanks Green Lady, this is the one I needed to see. Heartbreaking…

Date: September 27, 2021 20:05

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 20:12 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 27, 2021 20:06

thanks bv, a lot

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home