Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 28
Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 27, 2021 16:58

jumpingjackflash5
matxil
I like the new version of Paint It Black.
It's less a Polish polka now, it's got more menace, dynamic and swing this way.
Also, Sasha Allen is a good replacement of Lisa Fischer.
Overall, I think they sound pretty good this time.

No, this new version is wrong, maybe it can improve.

I guess it depends on whether you like folk dancing and polka music. Me, not so much. Never liked Paint It Black much to be honest, but this version (at least as it sounds on the smartphone recording) has more depth.

Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 27, 2021 16:59

It's possible on Brown Sugar that they asked the African Americans in the band how they felt about it.

It's possible Mick just doesn't feel comfortable singing it at the moment.

It's possible they just don't want to attract attention to it in a review and risk getting "cancelled."

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 27, 2021 17:00

tatters
Nikkei
I wouldn't overdramatize the lack of Brown Sugar, it's probably going to be back in a week (more than enough time for several cancel culture meltdowns of course)

I don't know. It's not like it's a song that rotates in and out of the setlist. Prior to last night, it had been played at every Stones concert since Altamont.

So, it was about time for a change then.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 17:01

Seeing, hearing lots of good things from vibe to performance. Brown Sugar seems to have been retired, now if they'd only do the same with Miss You (and for me, Satisfaction, which for me, has never been stellar live). One week to Pittsburgh

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 27, 2021 17:01

CamRS
IIOR was weaved in and out of setlists in 2019, so maybe Brown Sugar was the song chosen for this tour? I don’t think they removed it for PC reasons, because they’re still played Under My Thumb, which some consider an un-PC song.

Either way, if you want the band to play more of the other songs from their catalogue, then some of the war horses have to go.

But Under My Thumb isn't racial, like Brown Sugar. If enough were to raise concern over Under My Thumb, it'd be gone too, however.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 17:10

DandelionPowderman
VoodooLounge13
DandelionPowderman

Really?

For me, yes. I've seen the band 12 times, and the only songs that I've at every single one of those shows is HTW, SMU, JJF, and BS. PIB only 6 of the shows. Even MR is only 8, which seems absurd, because it seems to be featured at every show and I could definitely do without it, or rotate it with GS, which I think is vastly superior but not the same without Lisa.

That depends on when you have seen them. PIB has been a staple in the setlist for a long time.

For instance, Satisfaction wasn't included in the setlist between 1973-1978 (with a few exceptions). But to say that it isn't a regular in the setlists would be wrong smiling smiley

All of my shows come from 1997 onward....

I loved that they had the balls to open with Satisfaction in '97, and even bigger ones to drop it entirely on the NS tour!!!! PIB is one of my all-time favorite songs of theirs, so I have no problem with it being in the setlist on a permanent basis and kicking aside another warhorse, but to me, not at the expense of BS. Miss You has not sounded exciting to me since maybe '99, and IORR I have just never really enjoyed it live. It always sounds like a sloppy mess to me. Come to think of it, I think that was the other solo that Ronnie botched last night, not Breakdown.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 27, 2021 17:15

Irix
Stoneage

Was there a citation about Charlie? What was said and by whom? Did anyone notice? Thanks.

See this short video - [Twitter.com] .

[www.YouTube.com]

In fact, there were 3 remembrances of Charlie - the Intro with Charlie's Drum-Track and the picture/video sequences, the speech before TD and then Charlie's picture during/after the final bow.

God. Keith and Woody can barely hold the tears back.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 27, 2021 17:25

JumpingKentFlash
Irix
Stoneage

Was there a citation about Charlie? What was said and by whom? Did anyone notice? Thanks.

[www.YouTube.com]

In fact, there were 3 remembrances of Charlie - the Intro with Charlie's Drum-Track and the picture/video sequences, the speech before TD and then Charlie's picture during/after the final bow.

Hurts. Very wonderful speech. Mick is very brave.

God. Keith and Woody can barely hold the tears back.

Date: September 27, 2021 17:25

Big Al
CamRS
IIOR was weaved in and out of setlists in 2019, so maybe Brown Sugar was the song chosen for this tour? I don’t think they removed it for PC reasons, because they’re still played Under My Thumb, which some consider an un-PC song.

Either way, if you want the band to play more of the other songs from their catalogue, then some of the war horses have to go.

But Under My Thumb isn't racial, like Brown Sugar. If enough were to raise concern over Under My Thumb, it'd be gone too, however.

The lyrics are changed on UMT.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 27, 2021 17:31

buffalo7478
Seeing, hearing lots of good things from vibe to performance. Brown Sugar seems to have been retired, now if they'd only do the same with Miss You (and for me, Satisfaction, which for me, has never been stellar live). One week to Pittsburgh
WTF?.....retire Miss You?....bizarre to say the least...

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 27, 2021 17:40

thankfully, everything is on video. and thank God they muted and muffled the drums. they gave a good presentation. so good it leaves you sad; what if charlie had been up there with them? love 'ghost town', very good rambler, sympathy. jumpin' jack rocked as well. nice to see keith re-engaged, that was what was so frustrating in '17, '19 and first half of '18. he's very well prepared and ready to play. just looking at them i'm wondering if they really want to be there? but the good news is they will avoid disaster, make good presentations and survive this tour.

Date: September 27, 2021 17:56

No not sold out. The lower bowl in the back was almost empty.

bart-man
Is it sold-out?

Re: St Louis sound, drums
Posted by: Travman87 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 17:59

jumpingjackflash5
Big Al
I’m quite impressed with Jordan’s drumming during Paint it, Black.

Paint it black is not close to the original.
But Start me Up sounds good.

Thanks so much for the review BV, very heartfelt and beautifully written.
Hopefully I can see them next year if they play in London again and am sure those same kind of emotions will come over me too.

Date: September 27, 2021 18:07

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Is it just me but it looks like something has changed in Jagger's facial
expression?

Age?

Grieve?

Maybe so, but I've seen most of the videos now and can't say I've noticed that (apart from the little speech when Keith held his hand). He's as pro as they get.

Certainly a nice bunch of guys. winking smiley

All three of them clearly miss Charlie a lot as you can see in the emotion and I love that they are carrying on and still able to perform without him and doing so very well it seems

Date: September 27, 2021 18:10

From all the video clips and reports I've read from the opening night, I have a very positive feeling of this latest tour. The band seems to be firing well and Steve Jordan is different for sure but he was never going to be Charlie but I like what he is doing and the band seems to be synching very well so far with him smiling smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:13

Another Meaningless Stat re: Brown Sugar:

Last night and Monday's private show in Boston were the first time since 1995 (Paradiso, Amsterdam) that Brown Sugar was not played at two consecutive shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 18:20 by Topi.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:16

It was way better than I expected given the time off, and all the rest. partially because Mick was out to prove how agile and energetic he still is. Holy crap he was dancing, swaying, jumping, waving, shimmying nonstop.. I also heard Keith and Ronnie guitar much louder for certain songs which I loved.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:19

Here's Slipping Away at last. Nice video too.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 27, 2021 18:23

I took crowd pans at end in last 2 song when lights were up.. pretty full though relative to what i thought it would be

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:26

The sound of the band has changed, without any doubt, as far as I can judge from YouTube. Especially the drumming on Paint It Black is completely different, the character of the song has changed. But it was to be expected that Steve Jordan would not be a copy of Charlie. And that's a good thing, there are people at the instruments and not machines that could be cloned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 18:27 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:31

I'm reading comments about Steve Jordan playing in St. Louis. Some folks says he was awful, he didn't nail Charlie's style. For sake, Steve Jordan is not Charlie Watts and no matter what he is not gonna play the same way.
I have huge respect for Steve for his work and decision to play with Stones. It's probably the best and the worst job in music busissines at the same time. Imagine what is he feeling? Maybe - f**k i'm a Rolling Stones drummer now. I'm here to replace the best rock n roll drummer ever and one of the coolest man ever walked on this planet.

You'eve got to have balls to do that. Steve, hats off.

I'm watching videos and see how is Keith and look - he is close to Steve, don't go to cat walk or whatevere like he would like to say - Hey Steve I'm here. I'm not gonna leave you alone. You're doing great. Thanks mate.

So once again. Steve Jordan rocks and i love the man altough i miss Charlie very much.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 18:36 by thrak.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:36

Irix
Stoneage

[www.YouTube.com]

That's beautiful, that's how you do it. I'm proud to be a fan of this band.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:38

matxil
tatters
Nikkei
I wouldn't overdramatize the lack of Brown Sugar, it's probably going to be back in a week (more than enough time for several cancel culture meltdowns of course)

I don't know. It's not like it's a song that rotates in and out of the setlist. Prior to last night, it had been played at every Stones concert since Altamont.

So, it was about time for7 a change then.

I have read Brown Sugar was written when MJ was much younger.An ode to slavery amd beating black women and basically forcing them to get down on your knees for oral sex was never okay.MJ's first child is black woman. Great music and beat tho but the lyrics are foul.I wonder the reception if a black man sang a song about beating and forcing white women to have oral sex? Wouldn't be a top 40 favorte.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:40

Midnight rambler...wow...Jagger! 13 minute horror movie again...mean...What a performer! And Steve Jordan really kick ass too. A great show!

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:41

Just read BV's review of last night.
Very emotional and touching.
I would have felt the same way if I was there.
Just watching the video clips, I get a lump in my throat.
Thanks BV!

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:41

dnewton99
I took crowd pans at end in last 2 song when lights were up.. pretty full though relative to what i thought it would be

Love pans of the audience. Can you share?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:43

Steve Jordan made a great performance with The Rolling Stones at the show in St. Louis last night. He is a great drummer, a strong one, also with a great smile, and I noticed both Keith and Ronnie stayed back there with Steve Jordan just as much as they used to stay back with Charlie, if not more.

The songs will be different. Some not so much, others quite a bit. If you go to one show per tour, and you do not hear Paint It Black live too often, then may be it is not that important. They say time heal. Also there is a new dimension. It will be interesting to see these new versions, the new power, the different way of doing things.

One thing is for sure. It would be a shame if these guys simply retired now. They do still rock and roll.

Bjornulf

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:50

dnewton99
Videos slowly uploading here.. slow hotel wifi..
[www.youtube.com]

Donna

Thanks ! Great videos. Feels like I was there thumbs up

Date: September 27, 2021 18:53

kowalski
dnewton99
Videos slowly uploading here.. slow hotel wifi..
[www.youtube.com]

Donna

Thanks ! Great videos. Feels like I was there thumbs up

Thank you I was Row 12 Seat 1 and for once the security kept people in the seat area so not many heads in way. Hard to get seats 1-4 though - presale luck.. not even fan presale I bet. more vids live now

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: September 27, 2021 18:54

Great review BV and nice seeing you briefly last night.
I was in Pit 2 and will be doing the whole tour.

Paint It Black and SFTD had totally different vibes because of the drumming. I won't say it was a positive change because it hurts to even have that thought.. but let's say I wasn't disappointed since I normally hate PIB.

On Sympathy, it's like Steve was playing softly to mimic the intro of the studio recording which was cool. Any moment of Steve being highlighted was tough because I draw instant comparisons to Charlie.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1450
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home