Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 28
Re: St Louis sound, drums
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 27, 2021 08:46

Agree

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: September 27, 2021 08:53

I won't comment on the sound from a cellphone Facebook feed. I thought it was interesting that Steve had the front head of his kick set up like Charlie: hole dead center. As a drummer, I will say this is an unusual set-up these days. Drummers who port their front head typically put the hole off to the side to preserve some resonance from the head. The dead-center hole was popular in the 70s & 80s. I also noticed that Steve came up off the high-hat on 2 & 4, just like Charlie. Seems to me that they're trying to keep some of the "Watts sound" while still letting Steve do his thing. I approve.

Date: September 27, 2021 08:54

TheBadRabbit
I won't comment on the sound from a cellphone Facebook feed. I thought it was interesting that Steve had the front head of his kick set up like Charlie: hole dead center. As a drummer, I will say this is an unusual set-up these days. Drummers who port their front head typically put the hole off to the side to preserve some resonance from the head. The dead-center hole was popular in the 70s & 80s. I also noticed that Steve came up off the high-hat on 2 & 4, just like Charlie. Seems to me that they're trying to keep some of the "Watts sound" while still letting Steve do his thing. I approve.

I listened also to YouTube videos on desktop speakers and headphones.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 27, 2021 09:05

jumpingjackflash5
TheBadRabbit

Imo you're pretty persistent about the drum.
Please, now get over it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 09:05 by KRiffhard.

Date: September 27, 2021 09:49

KRiffhard
jumpingjackflash5
TheBadRabbit

Please, now get over it.

I don't think I am persistent. I just have heard what I wrote. To say something additional positive, Happy version that emerged on YT is very good. Also guitars very solid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 09:50 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 27, 2021 09:51

I’m quite impressed with Jordan’s drumming during Paint it, Black.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 27, 2021 10:01

jumpingjackflash5
KRiffhard
jumpingjackflash5
TheBadRabbit

Please, now get over it.

I don't think I am persistent. I just have heard what I wrote. To say something additional positive, Happy version that emerged on YT is very good. Also guitars very solid.

So.....we can't criticize the 'new' sound without being told to 'get over it'? I'm reserving judgement until I can hear more, on decent speakers. Let's face it, some of us couldn't handle the reduction in the Stones sound after Bill left. With Charlie now departed, it may just be too much to take. I've enjoyed Steve Jordan's drumming in the past, with other people. I pulled out Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll last night. But we can't expect him to fill the gap, and that the sound won't change. It is going to be different.

The magic of the Stones was the chemistry between the five. That is a certain sound. Why they don't just hire crack musicians that can sound close to Bill and Charlie is a mystery. I mean that sound IS the Rolling Stones. Maybe they're lazy and don't want to scour the planet at this point. Maybe it will work on some songs, and not at all on others. Time will tell.

Date: September 27, 2021 10:13

Big Al
I’m quite impressed with Jordan’s drumming during Paint it, Black.

Paint it black is not close to the original.
But Start me Up sounds good.

Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 27, 2021 10:18

Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Jeffer ()
Date: September 27, 2021 10:30

What a fantastic intro and also a fantastic version of SFM.

This is the first time live that the drums are played like the album version. A clever way to honor Charlie because he never played like this live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 10:30 by Jeffer.

Date: September 27, 2021 10:41

Jeffer
What a fantastic intro and also a fantastic version of SFM.

This is the first time live that the drums are played like the album version. A clever way to honor Charlie because he never played like this live.

Yes SFM version is good.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 27, 2021 10:45

Wonderful review, BV

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 27, 2021 10:45

Mixed emotions, after feeling so happy and proud of their individual performances with Keith turning the clock back to 2012 , I was then gob smacked at the decision to drop Brown Sugar, seems like the Stones have joined the woke cult.

That's the very song i was expecting improvement on at a faster pace.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 27, 2021 10:51

Thank you Bjørnulf
for the St Louis review
Very touching to read your words ....

Stay Safe

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 10:53

So I will attend a few shows this tour as well so I was super excited to hear how they now sound like. And I'm more than surprised, just amazed.

It kinda sounds like 1981 again from the drum sound to me, giving the songs an amazing new ryrhm.

Just listen to Gimme Shelter, they got a huge crowd response after that one, it gave me chills multiple times just watching it on my phone. IORR so fast, sympathy with a new rythm, a little more like the 2002 leg of licks, 19th nervous breakdown just amazing from start to finish. I can see they still have to work on that middle part of midnight rambler a little bit but that will fine tune during the next few shows. The drumming on paint it black is the only new thing that I didn't like that much but it probably comes along well live when you hear the bass loud and clear.

I love how they honored Charlie in the beginning and I think he would have loved how the band sounds now.

Lucky ones who could enjoy this gig last night. Can't wait to see them in Nashville.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 27, 2021 11:07

According to some people who were there, they made the pit smaller and moved the seats up.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 11:09

I just read your report, Bjornulf and I'm in tears. So lovely and so sad to read, thanks for writing it all down. It sure helps. I hope you can meet up with some friends the coming days before the next show.
From how I got to know about Charlie he would have never imagined someone not in his actual family caring so much about him, and yet so many of us do. It turns out his actual family is way bigger than he ever wanted to imagine.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 27, 2021 11:12

Lovely heartfelt review, thank you BV.

Date: September 27, 2021 11:12

Yes thank you Bjornulf for great report!

Date: September 27, 2021 11:13

The videos I've seen so far sounds really good. Keith busted a string in the middle of MR, and was horribly out of tune before he changed guitar.

This is really impressive by the Stones, to pull off a show like this under these circumstances thumbs up

Jordan sounds great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 11:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 27, 2021 11:19

thank you BV, beautiful & heartfelt words on what must have been a very emotional evening for you.
all the very best for the rest of this tour.

Date: September 27, 2021 11:19

Thanks also from me, Bjornulf, for a very well written review. I am sure your sentiments were felt by many of the crowd in St Louis last night.

Date: September 27, 2021 11:24

DandelionPowderman
The videos I've seen so far sounds really good. Keith busted a string in the middle of MR, and was horribly out of tune before he changed guitar.

This is really impressive by the Stones, to pull off a show like this under these circumstances thumbs up

Jordan sounds great.

Yes it is impressive.
But Jordan plays differently and some songs do not sound like the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: September 27, 2021 11:25

Thank you, Björnulf.

Date: September 27, 2021 11:28

Fixed it for you.

jumpingjackflash5
DandelionPowderman

Jordan sounds great.

Yes it is impressive.
But Jordan plays differently.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: September 27, 2021 11:28

Rocktiludrop
I was then gob smacked at the decision to drop Brown Sugar, seems like the Stones have joined the woke cult.

If the Stones were really serious about political correctness, 98 per cent of their catalogue would have to be blacklisted and we would be treated to a 120 min version of 'Dandelion'...

Date: September 27, 2021 11:29

DandelionPowderman
Fixed it for you.

jumpingjackflash5
DandelionPowderman

Jordan sounds great.

Yes it is impressive.
But Jordan plays differently.

OK, I can live with that fix smiling smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 27, 2021 11:34

SFM sounds good!

So does 19th Nervous Breakdown, really liked the tempo on that one.

Date: September 27, 2021 11:54

Topi
SFM sounds good!

So does 19th Nervous Breakdown, really liked the tempo on that one.

IORR sounds well, especially guitars [www.youtube.com]

19th NB not that good drumming :-( [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-27 11:58 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: September 27, 2021 12:01

Sounds great. Tempo up, which I love.

How was attendance giving it was around 10 k tix available a few hours before the concert?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home