Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: No Filter 2021 Tour Posters
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 10, 2021 19:34

TheBluesHadaBaby
BN78
TheBluesHadaBaby
Stoneage
The perpetual question: Are those lithos or posters? Or plainly posters at litho prices? Or something in between?

Unless it's a seriograph, a print that's individually numbered, I'm not sure there's a lot of difference other than the quality of the paper and the printing. Lithos and art prints being produced to higher standards than mere posters. "Poster" being derived from "to post up," they are intended to be tacked, stapled, pasted or taped up unframed; in contrast to prints, which are produced to be presented more formally and preserved and last much longer.

These are printed pretty well, on good paper. I'm no expert - our graphic artists on here will know the classifications - but my impression is there's no problem calling them prints or lithos.

It's just the images themselves that aren't always measuring up.

Hey Blues Baby, just curious, do happen to know if some of these prints were numbered and others were not??

No, I don't know personally.

I feel like I recall someone on this thread, though, saying there were some at the shows that bore individual numbers, if you got to the merch booths early enough. But I dunno if that was the case, and can t even swear I remembered that right.

You remembered right - they were numbered and limited to 500 at the stadium shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-10 19:36 by Hairball.

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: December 11, 2021 00:09

Hairball
TheBluesHadaBaby
BN78
TheBluesHadaBaby
Stoneage
The perpetual question: Are those lithos or posters? Or plainly posters at litho prices? Or something in between?

Unless it's a seriograph, a print that's individually numbered, I'm not sure there's a lot of difference other than the quality of the paper and the printing. Lithos and art prints being produced to higher standards than mere posters. "Poster" being derived from "to post up," they are intended to be tacked, stapled, pasted or taped up unframed; in contrast to prints, which are produced to be presented more formally and preserved and last much longer.

These are printed pretty well, on good paper. I'm no expert - our graphic artists on here will know the classifications - but my impression is there's no problem calling them prints or lithos.

It's just the images themselves that aren't always measuring up.

Hey Blues Baby, just curious, do happen to know if some of these prints were numbered and others were not??

No, I don't know personally.

I feel like I recall someone on this thread, though, saying there were some at the shows that bore individual numbers, if you got to the merch booths early enough. But I dunno if that was the case, and can t even swear I remembered that right.

You remembered right - they were numbered and limited to 500 at the stadium shows.

Thank you friends smileys with beer!!

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: December 11, 2021 02:04

They are offset lithographs - a mechanical process that allows for large, fast print runs. It’s the same process used to create most “posters”. Except for a number there is no difference between the posters sold at the show and the ones sold online. Anything can be numbered. A number alone does not suggest anything about how a print was made. These are most definitely not serigraphs (fancy word for silkscreen print).

It’s complicated and the language often used is, I think, intended to mislead. When most people hear lithograph they probably think of art created on a flat stone and transferred carefully to paper. These posters are not that. These posters are offset lithographs printed on thick paper like card stock. For what they are, I think they are pretty nice. I couldn’t score a Hollywood poster at the venue so I ordered one online, and I like it in person quite a bit more than I did online. Enjoy them! But don’t mistake them for prints created using handmade, artisan processes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-11 19:26 by joshbg2k.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: December 11, 2021 16:32

joshbg2k
They are offset lithographs - a mechanical process that allows for large, fast print runs. It’s the same process used to create most “posters”. Except for a number there is no difference between the posters sold at the show and the ones sold online. Anything can be numbered. A number alone does not suggest anything about how a print was made. These are most definitely not serigraphs (fancy word for silkscreen print).

It’s complicated and the language often used is, I think, intended to mislead. When most people hear lithograph they probably think art created on a flat stone and transferred carefully to paper. These posters are not that. These posters are offset lithographs printed on thick paper like card stock. For what they are, I think they are pretty nice. I couldn’t score a Hollywood poster at the venue so I ordered one online, and I like it in person quite a bit more than I did online. Enjoy them! But don’t mistake them for prints created using handmade, artisan processes.

Very helpful, thanks!

Still waiting for my Nashville poster to arrive. I expect it to display better over time than my DC 2019 poster has, which wasn't particularly good to begin with and didn't stay up on the wall very long.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 11, 2021 20:31

The 2015 limited "lithos" were actually numbered by hand with a pencil, whereas these latest ones have all been printed numbers, so there's that bit of artificiality/discrepancy to consider also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-11 20:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 13, 2021 17:04

TheBluesHadaBaby

Still waiting for my Nashville poster to arrive. I expect it to display better over time than my DC 2019 poster has, which wasn't particularly good to begin with and didn't stay up on the wall very long.

What was wrong with the 2019 poster ?

Posted by: TooTight ()
Date: December 13, 2021 17:20

Hairball
The 2015 limited "lithos" were actually numbered by hand with a pencil, whereas these latest ones have all been printed numbers, so there's that bit of artificiality/discrepancy to consider also.

2021 had some that were hand written and some that were printed. St Louis is printed on there but Vegas and Minneapolis both are hand written, for example. 2015 was the same. Most I have were hand written but Buffalo was printed on there.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 13, 2021 17:20

Doc

What was wrong with the 2019 poster ?

The simple design - [Twitter.com] ?

Posted by: elmod ()
Date: October 25, 2022 20:57

Irix
"The North American No Filter Tour Box Set contains 31 city specific lithographs printed on uncoated paper, housed in a beautiful linen presentation box."

Feb / Mar 2022 - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] , [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk]

Does anyone have information about what 31 posters/lithographs are in this box? Thank you in advance!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 25, 2022 22:55

elmod

Does anyone have information about what 31 posters/lithographs are in this box?

No information, but I guess that the 31 posters/lithos in this box are the city-specific ones of each tour-stop in 2019 + 2021 (17+14) - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] . Tour Posters 2019 & 2021 - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: elmod ()
Date: October 26, 2022 00:21

Irix
elmod

Does anyone have information about what 31 posters/lithographs are in this box?

No information, but I guess that the 31 posters/lithos in this box are the city-specific ones of each tour-stop in 2019 + 2021 (17+14) - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] . Tour Posters 2019 & 2021 - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .
Thank you!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1309
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home