Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rolling Stones songs that would be improved with different lyrics or song titles
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 25, 2021 18:42

Big Al
Nate
[
No form of art should ever be altered in order to not offend.A great piece of work will always supersede anyone’s hurt feelings.Mediocrity is a dangerous road.

You want something nice go listen to fuxxing Humpty Dumpty.

Nate

I don't believe that either. I just don't feel it'd be appropriate for Mick to sing 'black girls just want to get fu**** all night' on stage.

I certainly don't feel the record itself should be censored at all.

Well, the album title is Some Girls, right?
Maybe when they perform the song with the same title, they could replace "black" and "white" by "some" or "Chinese" by "Japanese", or "American" by "Russian". Whatever ...
Girls are girls, whatever way you (men) look at it, and Mick is a man, so why make a fuzz about his experience with women. It all sounds very natural to me.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Re: Rolling Stones songs that would be improved with different lyrics or song titles
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: September 25, 2021 19:28

Rokyfan
Nate, if you pointed out that there are very few works of art, throughout history, that do not offend someone, you would be correct. Many times that's the point. And censorship and the rising support of it is a huge modern problem, I agree.

At the same time, Big Al did not call for censorship or changing lyrics, he said he didn't think it would be appropriate for Mick to sing the song. IF Mick thinks that way and doesn't sing the song, there nothing wrong with that. He's older now, he doesn't want to sing about sex with 15 year olds. That's not censorship.

Mick wrote the songs, he can do what he wants. Everyone else, &^$% off. You don't like it don't listen.

Read the post by Big Al again because he said that he believes it’s fine and appropriate for the lyrics to be altered on stage.The artist of course has the right to do anything they desire with their work but if they are adjusting it through fear of offending then they should quit and go do something else.

Nate

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 25, 2021 19:38

Plenty ones on IORR: If you can't rock me, Short and Curlies, Luxury...
Love is Stong. Rock and a hard place. Sad sad sad...
Also a lot of songs on A Bigger Bang.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-25 19:40 by StonedRambler.

Date: September 25, 2021 19:45

treaclefingers
Nate
Big Al
Nate
[
No form of art should ever be altered in order to not offend.A great piece of work will always supersede anyone’s hurt feelings.Mediocrity is a dangerous road.

Nate

I don't believe that either. I just don't feel it'd be appropriate for Mick to sing 'black girls just want to get fu**** all night' on stage.

It is not possible to claim agreement with the lyrics being changed for a stupid fear of offending and at the same time state that a work of art should not be altered for the same reason.

You can’t take it a la carte you either place the importance of a great work over someone’s fragile feelings or you don’t.

Nate

Yeah...you would be wrong Natester.

Please explain how.

Nate

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 25, 2021 20:14

Nate
treaclefingers
Nate
Big Al
Nate
[

Nate

It is not possible to claim agreement with the lyrics being changed for a stupid fear of offending and at the same time state that a work of art should not be altered for the same reason.

You can’t take it a la carte you either place the importance of a great work over someone’s fragile feelings or you don’t.

Nate

Please explain how.

Nate

It's a point in time, you don't change it, you look back on it and agree or disagree with it.

Doesn't mean moving forward when you perform the song you don't alter it because you want to.

You're suggesting it has to be static, but everything changes, maybe even your mind.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 25, 2021 21:44

Nate
Rokyfan
Nate, if you pointed out that there are very few works of art, throughout history, that do not offend someone, you would be correct. Many times that's the point. And censorship and the rising support of it is a huge modern problem, I agree.

At the same time, Big Al did not call for censorship or changing lyrics, he said he didn't think it would be appropriate for Mick to sing the song. IF Mick thinks that way and doesn't sing the song, there nothing wrong with that. He's older now, he doesn't want to sing about sex with 15 year olds. That's not censorship.

Mick wrote the songs, he can do what he wants. Everyone else, &^$% off. You don't like it don't listen.

Read the post by Big Al again because he said that he believes it’s fine and appropriate for the lyrics to be altered on stage.The artist of course has the right to do anything they desire with their work but if they are adjusting it through fear of offending then they should quit and go do something else.

Nate

I agree with you. I thought Al meant don't sing the song, like he won't sing Stray Cat Blues, which is fine. Singing "I can see you're just 35 years old," or "Black Girls just want to play cards all night" would be pretty lame.

Date: September 25, 2021 22:41

treaclefingers
Nate
treaclefingers
Nate
Big Al
Nate
[

Nate

Nate

Please explain how.

Nate

It's a point in time, you don't change it, you look back on it and agree or disagree with it.

Doesn't mean moving forward when you perform the song you don't alter it because you want to.

You're suggesting it has to be static, but everything changes, maybe even your mind.

No I’m certainly not suggesting everything has to remain static I am talking about the reason why something might be changed.Reworking something because you believe it will give an enhancement is fine but changing it in order to avoid offence should never be tolerated.

Nate

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2021 23:54

eeeerrrrr maybe they shoulda went with -- We Forgot Their Names

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 26, 2021 00:09

Cocksucker Blues

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 26, 2021 00:26

Nate
treaclefingers
Nate
treaclefingers
Nate
Big Al
Nate
[

Nate

Nate

Please explain how.

Nate

No I’m certainly not suggesting everything has to remain static I am talking about the reason why something might be changed.Reworking something because you believe it will give an enhancement is fine but changing it in order to avoid offence should never be tolerated.

Nate

So if I called you a filthy bastard, fun boy in the name of art, that would be cool?

See what I did right there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-26 00:31 by treaclefingers.

Date: September 26, 2021 01:32

Anyone could call me whatever they wanted to and I may or may not like it but I would always defend their right to do so.

Nate

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 26, 2021 03:35

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 26, 2021 07:19

Rokyfan
Nate
Rokyfan

Nate

I agree with you. I thought Al meant don't sing the song, like he won't sing Stray Cat Blues, which is fine. Singing "I can see you're just 35 years old," or "Black Girls just want to play cards all night" would be pretty lame.

I have to agree! If you start changing one or two, what is next? Changing Under My Thumb? Let's Spend the Night Together (which they famously were forced to do once)? Or ban drug referencing songs, like Sr. Morphine, Dancing w/ Mr. D (not that they do them often), etc. No, once you start, you may never stop, leave it all be and those that are offended don't have to listen.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 28, 2021 04:00

georgie48
Big Al
Nate
[

Nate

Maybe when they perform the song with the same title, they could replace "black" and "white" by "some" or "Chinese" by "Japanese", or "American" by "Russian". Whatever ...
Girls are girls, whatever way you (men) look at it, and Mick is a man, so why make a fuzz about his experience with women. It all sounds very natural to me.

smileys with beer

Mick reversed the balck and white girls on the 1999 tour. No Security

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 28, 2021 05:06

I totally agree with Nate. SOme Girls is tongue in cheek. I go with Mick Jagger's original answer to the dishonorable Jesse Jackson. If you can't take a joke it's to @#$%& bad. I prefer that Mick!

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 28, 2021 05:08

I really dont listen to lyrics that much. I listen to the song as a whole and more of the melody than the words

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 05:09 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 28, 2021 05:39

Well in that case Cooltoplay ....
You should give this one a spin ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home