Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones songs that would be improved with different lyrics or song titles
Date: September 24, 2021 01:51

I am going to nominate CRAZY MAMA.
The music is so wonderful.... but the title has always seemed silly to me.

Re: Rolling Stones songs that would be improved with different lyrics or song titles
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 24, 2021 02:12

hmm how about ball n' chain

Re: Rolling Stones songs that would be improved with different lyrics or song titles
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 24, 2021 10:00

Silly Mummy .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: September 24, 2021 10:57

I truly hope this isn't an attempt to make Stones songs 'woke'

Because Fu*ck Woke!

If not: Some words or phrases are 'Out of Time'(phun intended) nowadays of course. But to me it's just the Zeitgeist. And that has it's charm. Phones don't have rotary dials anymore for example, but we perfectly understand what Jagger means.

And some snowflakes probably want to cancel the Stones because of songs like Stray Cat Blues, Some Girls, Under my Thumb and Brown Sugar, but they were not written in 2021, they were written in 1968 or 1978. Get over it and grow a pair of balls.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-24 11:54 by ribbelchips.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 24, 2021 16:54

heartbreaker

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 24, 2021 17:03

New better title - previous worse title

Wooooo - Gimme Shelter
Whoo Whoo - Sympathy for the Devil
Woo Woo Woo Woo, Woo Woo Woo Woo - Miss You
La La La La La La La La La La La - She's A Rainbow
Heartbreaker - Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo
Woo Woo Woo Woo, Woo Woo, Woo. Woo Woo Woo Woo, Woo Woo, Woo - Emotional Rescue
Hey, Hey - You Got Me Rocking
I See A Red Door - Paint It, Black
Mmmm Hey, Mmmm Ha - Fingerprint File
Come Si Chiama - Hey Negrita
La La La La, La La La Da - Indian Girl
Mmm Mmm Mm, Mmm Mmm Mm, Mmm Mmm Mmmmmm Mmmmm Mm - Out of Control
Sha la la laaa - Memory Motel
Button Your Lip - Mixed Emotions
Love Comes At The Speed of Light - Continental Drift

Those are the only ones that scream "change the title".

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-24 22:32 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 24, 2021 17:17

Star Star sounds like it could be a child’s nursery rhyme grinning smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 24, 2021 17:52

Yes, Heartbreaker...is Heartbreaker! Now I can finally relax after 40 years of pain...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 24, 2021 18:03

Maybe we should go with The Joker's suggestion and translate them into Klingon.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 24, 2021 18:12

I'll nominate You Got Me Rocking. What on earth are those lyrics about?

Date: September 24, 2021 18:14

Green Lady

He was a butcher, cuttin' up meat. Where's the mystery in that?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 24, 2021 18:55

Heartbreaker sounded like it started out lyrically as a song about a woman, but then Jagger changed it to a political message

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 24, 2021 19:34

I always thought that "cross-eyed hurricane" was better than "cross-fire hurricane." But what do I know?

Date: September 25, 2021 01:02

"cross-eyed hurricane." ....hhhaaa
comical ... woulda carried no threat

but i guess ya coulda
gone for friendly-fire hurricane ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: September 25, 2021 01:16

Green Lady

I’ll second this one. Laziest lyrics ever. Could have been a much better song.

Date: September 25, 2021 01:26

Yeah a lil' lazy but it was just
Jumpin' Jack guy tellin us what he was doin' in the 90's ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 25, 2021 06:27

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-28 09:25 by z.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 25, 2021 08:53

ribbelchips

Because Fu*ck Woke!

If not: Some words or phrases are 'Out of Time'(phun intended) nowadays of course. But to me it's just the Zeitgeist. And that has it's charm. Phones don't have rotary dials anymore for example, but we perfectly understand what Jagger means.

And some snowflakes probably want to cancel the Stones because of songs like Stray Cat Blues, Some Girls, Under my Thumb and Brown Sugar, but they were not written in 2021, they were written in 1968 or 1978. Get over it and grow a pair of balls.

Not cancel but just rework lyrics so as not to wound people.

What's wrong with calling the song Indigenous Girl, for example?

You object to Alice Cooper redoing "Only [People] Bleed"?

Get with it!

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 25, 2021 09:36

ribbelchips

Because Fu*ck Woke!

Dude the only one talking about 'woke' here is you, Trotting out the greatest hits too I see with 'snow flakes' and 'cancel'. You sound like a grumpy old man ranting at nobody in particular. Reminds me of Clint Eastwood's 'debate' with Hilary. Pathetic is the word that comes to mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-25 09:38 by erad.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 25, 2021 09:46

I’m sure there are lots of lyrics that Mick and Keith would wife differently if they could. There are some absolute howlers: Sparks Will Fly, You Got Me Rocking, etc. In regard to those that are controversial for other reasons: they wouldn’t be written that way today. I’m Mick would convey his points more appropriately. I don’t think anything should be airbrushed, although I do think it fine and appropriate that the lyrics are altered onstage: Some Girls and Brown Sugar.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: September 25, 2021 10:57

Rockman
Silly Mummy .....

grinning smiley

Nate

Date: September 25, 2021 11:40

Big Al
I’m sure there are lots of lyrics that Mick and Keith would wife differently if they could. There are some absolute howlers: Sparks Will Fly, You Got Me Rocking, etc. In regard to those that are controversial for other reasons: they wouldn’t be written that way today. I’m Mick would convey his points more appropriately. I don’t think anything should be airbrushed, although I do think it fine and appropriate that the lyrics are altered onstage: Some Girls and Brown Sugar.

No form of art should ever be altered in order to not offend.A great piece of work will always supersede anyone’s hurt feelings.Mediocrity is a dangerous road.

You want something nice go listen to fuxxing Humpty Dumpty.

Nate

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 25, 2021 11:47

Nate
[
No form of art should ever be altered in order to not offend.A great piece of work will always supersede anyone’s hurt feelings.Mediocrity is a dangerous road.

Nate

I don't believe that either. I just don't feel it'd be appropriate for Mick to sing 'black girls just want to get fu**** all night' on stage.

I certainly don't feel the record itself should be censored at all.

Date: September 25, 2021 15:10

Big Al
Nate
[

Nate

I don't believe that either. I just don't feel it'd be appropriate for Mick to sing 'black girls just want to get fu**** all night' on stage.

It is not possible to claim agreement with the lyrics being changed for a stupid fear of offending and at the same time state that a work of art should not be altered for the same reason.

You can’t take it a la carte you either place the importance of a great work over someone’s fragile feelings or you don’t.

Nate

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 25, 2021 15:37

Green Lady

It would make sense if Mick said "Til" or "But" before "you got me rocking".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 25, 2021 15:40

I always hated the "vomit on the ground" line from Rain Fall Down.

Date: September 25, 2021 16:20

erad
ribbelchips

Because Fu*ck Woke!

Dude the only one talking about 'woke' here is you, Trotting out the greatest hits too I see with 'snow flakes' and 'cancel'. You sound like a grumpy old man ranting at nobody in particular. Reminds me of Clint Eastwood's 'debate' with Hilary. Pathetic is the word that comes to mind.

You could have just said that he misconstrued the OP, whose point was just about lyrics and titles he did not care for, not about the woke issue.

Instead you chose to make your point in the most vitriolic, aggressive way possible.

I'm assuming you are young and don't remember the days when we could have civil discourse between people with differing views.

Like the debate here between Big Al and Nate who manage to disagree without hurling slurs like "pathetic." I know, its so unusual these days.

Date: September 25, 2021 18:31

Nate
Big Al
Nate
[

Nate

It is not possible to claim agreement with the lyrics being changed for a stupid fear of offending and at the same time state that a work of art should not be altered for the same reason.

You can’t take it a la carte you either place the importance of a great work over someone’s fragile feelings or you don’t.

Nate

Yeah...you would be wrong Natester.

Date: September 25, 2021 18:33

I started this thread NOT to discuss stupid wokism. Being woke is for true losers.

I was just thinking how absolutely amazing CRAZY MAMA is as a song - with a completely lame title and lyrics.

Nothing more complicated than that!

Date: September 25, 2021 18:40

Nate, if you pointed out that there are very few works of art, throughout history, that do not offend someone, you would be correct. Many times that's the point. And censorship and the rising support of it is a huge modern problem, I agree.

At the same time, Big Al did not call for censorship or changing lyrics, he said he didn't think it would be appropriate for Mick to sing the song. IF Mick thinks that way and doesn't sing the song, there nothing wrong with that. He's older now, he doesn't want to sing about sex with 15 year olds. That's not censorship.

Mick wrote the songs, he can do what he wants. Everyone else, &^$% off. You don't like it don't listen.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home