Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Drummers
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 23, 2021 20:20

Ringo and Macca. Perfect final gig of their history

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 23, 2021 20:53

From what I saw and heard Steve Jordan hitting the drums behind Eric Clapton numerous times, I’m okay with him playing as a hired dummer for the Stones, temporarily or not — I haven’t seen the Winos live, though. Unlike his critics here, I even expect him to develop his own style to merge his drumming into the Stones sound as the tour progresses, if chemistry interacts in a favorable way.

As for a candidate for an alternative drummer...other than Kenny Jones or Jim Keltner, both of whom are already mentioned, how about Andy Newmark? I was quite impressed by his syncopated, bouncing drumming when I saw Clapton’s Nothing But The Blues show in 1994 (he was subsequently replaced with Steve Gadd after the first North American leg).

Speaking of Clapton, another of his cohort over the years, Henry Spinetti may well suit the Stones sound.

Also springs to my mind is ex-Little Feet Richie Hayward — but he is sadly no longer with us (he played in the Clapton band, too, 93-94).

Date: September 23, 2021 21:32

RisingStone
From what I saw and heard Steve Jordan hitting the drums behind Eric Clapton numerous times, I’m okay with him playing as a hired dummer for the Stones, temporarily or not — I haven’t seen the Winos live, though. Unlike his critics here, I even expect him to develop his own style to merge his drumming into the Stones sound as the tour progresses, if chemistry interacts in a favorable way.

As for a candidate for an alternative drummer...other than Kenny Jones or Jim Keltner, both of whom are already mentioned, how about Andy Newmark? I was quite impressed by his syncopated, bouncing drumming when I saw Clapton’s Nothing But The Blues show in 1994 (he was subsequently replaced with Steve Gadd after the first North American leg).

Speaking of Clapton, another of his cohort over the years, Henry Spinetti may well suit the Stones sound.

Also springs to my mind is ex-Little Feet Richie Hayward — but he is sadly no longer with us (he played in the Clapton band, too, 93-94).

Thanks for mentioning other candidates. The point is that there are drummers whose style fits Stones' sound better that Jordan's (at this stage of development) . Regardless of how deep we know particular drummer or records - our experiences are obviously different and we should not let down the opinions based on if we know particular thing or not.

I really hope that Stones after this tour seriously consider who will be their permanent drummer if they want to continue.
I have (and also had) no problems with Jordan as a substitute on this tour, given the short timeframe and previous playing with Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-23 21:32 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: September 23, 2021 22:47

Recently one of us in a thread about Charlie's best moments declared that for him those were YCAGWYW and IORR
No coment
Please let the music sound, let the musicians play and let us enjoy this new moment (eith our sadness)

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 23, 2021 22:59

PinballWizard23
Several drummers would have been a better fit especially given the short tour.

Couple they could have borrowed that come to mind that I think would fit well are Zak Starkey and Abe Laboriel JR. Might Max Weinberg would likely fit well too as a short term rental.

Oddly Abe Laboriel JR & Max Weinberg came to my mind also. Not a Springsteen fan, but Max is a brilliant drummer.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 23, 2021 23:00

Lady Jayne
I wonder what the process for choosing Steve Jordan for this tour were and how long they had to sort out a replacement for Charlie. I know the official line is that he was Charlie's choice but I take those PR statements with a pinch of salt to be frank. It may be that there were limited options given the time frames. Obviously, Jordan is a very accomplished professional, was known to them and acceptable to Keith, in particular, and available. May be there wasn't time and head space to think of much more than that, let alone finding someone whose sound was more aligned to theirs.

Yes, that's what I think too.

And the person who took all those short video clips and posted them here said in his excellent review that at the gig the sound was very well balanced and Steve was not dominant. So I'll go with that. Whether he remains as their long-term choice remains to be seen.

Gladthat/ hope that the drumming arguments are here and not on the show review thread!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-23 23:03 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: September 23, 2021 23:06

Stewart Copeland, Ian Paice, Nick Mason.......
But Charlie suggested around 1988 that the best drummer to play with Keith was Steve Jordan.
And that recomendation is one of his last desires, to keep the band rolling with SJ
A lot of connoisseur around here

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 24, 2021 00:15

What about the guy drummin
on the Jungle Jim intro ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 24, 2021 00:25

People are just pulling names out of a hat here.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 24, 2021 02:45

PinballWizard23

Couple they could have borrowed that come to mind that I think would fit well are Zak Starkey and Abe Laboriel JR. Might Max Weinberg would likely fit well too as a short term rental.

Maybe someone with a lighter touch than those guys -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-24 02:47 by Hairball.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 24, 2021 03:35

Steve Jordan was the obvious choice. The comfortable choice, and he will do well.

People have to understand that Charlie Watts cannot be replaced and whoever plays drums with The Stones will not work for many.

I would have gone for Alan 'Reni' Wren.

Date: September 24, 2021 06:54

strat72
Steve Jordan was the obvious choice. The comfortable choice, and he will do well.

People have to understand that Charlie Watts cannot be replaced and whoever plays drums with The Stones will not work for many.

I would have gone for Alan 'Reni' Wren.

What a drummer!!! Townshend tried to nick him early on in the Stone Roses career.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 24, 2021 07:40

Whoa, I've never heard that about Townshend and Reni! Got any more details?

Date: September 24, 2021 07:59

peoplewitheyes

Pretty sure I read it in John Robb’s book, but it’s mentioned a little here.
[www.gigwise.com]

Date: September 24, 2021 10:30

MisterDDDD
jumpingjackflash5
And yes, I never heard Kenny Jones, just listened to this random clip on YouTube

[youtu.be]

And at first listen this would suit the Stones sound much better.

To recap:
You go on and on and on (and on) about the drumming, plugging up any related thread, and even create a new one called "Drummers".

Yet just now, for the first time, you discover who Kenny Jones is, and based on whatever "random clip on YouTube" he sounds "much better" to you.

Sound about white?

grinning smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 24, 2021 12:36

Paddy
peoplewitheyes

[www.gigwise.com]

Reni is great but I think he is pretty volatile?

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: September 24, 2021 12:48

MisterDDDD
exhpart
Must say it's very strange not to even know who Kenny Jones is. And have all these opinions on Steve Jordan and drumming. Just sayin'...

Takes the pisss out of any drumming argument really.
Methinks it's not the playing the obviously ignorant young lad has a problem with.

Shame he's been able to clog up the threads with this nonsense.

Not knowing about Kenney Jones is not proof of anything. Faces is really outdated simple music, and most people under 30 have never heard about them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-24 12:53 by RaiseTheKnife.

Date: September 24, 2021 12:56

RaiseTheKnife
MisterDDDD
exhpart
Must say it's very strange not to even know who Kenny Jones is. And have all these opinions on Steve Jordan and drumming. Just sayin'...

Methinks it's not the playing the obviously ignorant young lad has a problem with.

Not knowing about Kenney Jones is not proof of anything. Faces is really outdated simple music, and most people under 30 have never heard about them.

And The Who? The Small Faces?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 24, 2021 12:58

Heck in that case Faces should do a High School tour ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 24, 2021 14:52

RaiseTheKnife
MisterDDDD
exhpart

Thank you very much. Yes, unfortunately I heard about Faces only briefly as the band where Ronnie played in before joining the Rolling stones. I never listened to their records but this should not impair me to discuss Stones issues, especially after 1980s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-24 14:53 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: September 24, 2021 14:57

<The point is that there are drummers whose style fits Stones' sound better that Jordan's>

That is merely your opinion, not a fact. IMO, Jordan gelled in nicely from what I heard. So please stop the campaign against Jordan. Campaigns are not allowed on IORR, btw (check out Bjørnulf's forum rules).

Posted by: PinballWizard23 ()
Date: September 24, 2021 15:16

Hairball
PinballWizard23

Sure those guys can hit it hard but I find they also have a lot of touch and finesse too especially Max and Abe.

Steve J like someone else mentioned is very robotic and metronome like and it all sounds the same, hard snare and all the time.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 24, 2021 15:40

jumpingjackflash5
RaiseTheKnife
MisterDDDD
exhpart

Thank you very much. Yes, unfortunately I heard about Faces only briefly as the band where Ronnie played in before joining the Rolling stones. I never listened to their records but this should not impair me to discuss Stones issues, especially after 1980s.

jj5, ya really need to do a dive into the Faces. Start with "Stay With Me", "Poolhall Richard", "Glad And Sorry", and "Had Me A Real Good Time".

SWM was co-written by Ronnie. PR may be about Keith. GAS is just about perfect. HMARGT features Ronnie, Ian McLagan, and Bobby Keys.

The singer has a good voice , too!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 24, 2021 16:05

PinballWizard23
Hairball
PinballWizard23

Sure those guys can hit it hard but I find they also have a lot of touch and finesse too especially Max and Abe.

Steve J like someone else mentioned is very robotic and metronome like and it all sounds the same, hard snare and all the time.

Yeah...after thinking about it more, generally speaking I think Steve Jordan is closer to Bam Bam than those you mentioned.

Date: September 24, 2021 16:42

Hairball
PinballWizard23
Hairball
PinballWizard23

Yeah...after thinking about it more, generally speaking I think Steve Jordan is closer to Bam Bam than those you mentioned.

Thank you. Yes, even me, who is not that experienced ;-), can hear it very apparently without deep study.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: September 24, 2021 18:48

Date: September 24, 2021 23:35

terraplane
Paddy
peoplewitheyes

[www.gigwise.com]

Yeah he’s a bit of a drama queen I think. But vocally he added a lot to the Roses as well as his drumming. Just a natural behind the kit. I think he’s a pretty good guitarist also.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 25, 2021 00:39

Ringo would be the worst choice of all. He bangs on the cymbals loudly and haphazardly like a fourteen year boy with a new drum on Christmas Day.

Date: September 25, 2021 00:49

Paddy
terraplane
Paddy
peoplewitheyes

[www.gigwise.com]

Yeah he’s a bit of a drama queen I think. But vocally he added a lot to the Roses as well as his drumming. Just a natural behind the kit. I think he’s a pretty good guitarist also.

'Fools Gold' - long version 7-8 minutes or so of Sonic heaven ....

Date: September 25, 2021 00:58

RaiseTheKnife
MisterDDDD
exhpart

''Faces is really simple, outdated music's ...... and the Stones??!!!

Kenny J was great - perfect infact - Maybe I'm Amazed live, I Feel So Good, Stay with Me, Poolhall Richard ......

and the Faces played on all Rods solo stuff prior to 1975.

He kicks off Maggy Mae ( after guitar etc intro

They were the rocking outfit in UK in early seventies, while Stones were in ' exile' ( recording Exile! ) and when poppy glam was taking over. ( Slade were good too though - poppy but rocky!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-25 19:10 by Four Stone Walls.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1624
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home