Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Drummers
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 23, 2021 12:49

Not exactly a new topic! but .....

Steve Jordan was chosen with Charlie's blessing for this autumn/fall tour.

An obvious choice and no- one seemed to object.

Then the unexpected happened on 24th August.

A thread to wish Steve luck . Great.

The first show - they are playing ( and praying) for Charlie.

A lot of uncomplimentary comments about the new drum sound in the show-review thread.

Personally I would prefer a different drummer in the long term.
Kenny Jones springs to mind.

But that's not where we are now.

Whether they stick with Steve or not is/will be their decision.

For NOW

Charlie is very hard 'act' to follow. They are doing their best.

On with the Shows.Good health to them.

Re: Drummers
Date: September 23, 2021 12:55

Yes. If Jordan does not improve during the fall tour, they should consider doing a contest for the new drummer, this time with enough time to choose. Mr. Jordan can be one of the candidates. Who knows maybe he is actually the best who is really available.l, as nobody can replace Charlie. But things in the drumming department need attention and further evaluation, for sure.

Date: September 23, 2021 13:00

And yes, I never heard Kenny Jones, just listened to this random clip on YouTube

[youtu.be]

And at first listen this would suit the Stones sound much better.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: September 23, 2021 13:08

jumpingjackflash5
And yes, I never heard Kenny Jones, just listened to this random clip on YouTube

[youtu.be]

I like Kenny, he's a good drummer, but a bit sterile. I saw a lot of Who shows when he was in the drummer's seat. Seemed a bit rigid to me, just my impression.

Of course it's impossible to follow Keith Moon but still, his playing seemed rigid and sterile. But that was then and this is now. He did play on IORR, didnt' he? Damn fine job.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 23, 2021 13:38

I wonder what the process for choosing Steve Jordan for this tour were and how long they had to sort out a replacement for Charlie. I know the official line is that he was Charlie's choice but I take those PR statements with a pinch of salt to be frank. It may be that there were limited options given the time frames. Obviously, Jordan is a very accomplished professional, was known to them and acceptable to Keith, in particular, and available. May be there wasn't time and head space to think of much more than that, let alone finding someone whose sound was more aligned to theirs.

Date: September 23, 2021 13:48

Lady Jayne
I wonder what the process for choosing Steve Jordan for this tour were and how long they had to sort out a replacement for Charlie. I know the official line is that he was Charlie's choice but I take those PR statements with a pinch of salt to be frank. It may be that there were limited options given the time frames. Obviously, Jordan is a very accomplished professional, was known to them and acceptable to Keith, in particular, and available. May be there wasn't time and head space to think of much more than that, let alone finding someone whose sound was more aligned to theirs.

Yes, to me it also seems like that.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 23, 2021 13:59

jumpingjackflash5

[youtu.be]

To recap:
You go on and on and on (and on) about the drumming, plugging up any related thread, and even create a new one called "Drummers".

Yet just now, for the first time, you discover who Kenny Jones is, and based on whatever "random clip on YouTube" he sounds "much better" to you.

Sound about white?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-23 14:10 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 23, 2021 14:19

Charlie´s drumming was unique
We love you Charlie
Charlie´s decisión and suggestions are also unique. No one but him knows who is the person who better suit for the task
Our opinions are................................BS

Date: September 23, 2021 14:25

MisterDDDD
jumpingjackflash5

[youtu.be]

To recap:
You go on and on and on (and on) about the drumming, plugging up any related thread, and even create a new one called "Drummers".

Yet just now, for the first time, you discover who Kenny Jones is, and based on whatever "random clip on YouTube" he sounds "much better" to you.

Sound about white?

I did not create this thread.

Is it forbidden to speak about this topic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-23 14:26 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 23, 2021 14:40

Lady Jayne

I should make it clear that I personally don't yet have any opinion on whether or not Jordan is the right fit to be Charlie's permanent replacement in this next era of the band. I haven't heard enough, much less seen them playing together. I am ambivalent at best about the band continuing as The Rolling Stones without Charlie, but since they are and will continue, it may be that a completely different sound is not only inevitable but desirable for this new version. All I am saying is that the current lineup may not have been the result of much conscious reflection on what they will sound like going forward and simply the best that could be achieved in the circumstances.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: September 23, 2021 14:52

Being Jim Keltner available, the choice of Steve Jordan seems a little bit strange to me. Maybe, they’ve decided to go the easiest way...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 23, 2021 15:02

1963luca0
Being Jim Keltner available, the choice of Steve Jordan seems a little bit strange to me. Maybe, they’ve decided to go the easiest way...

Kenny Aronoff is another - he also played on Bridges To Babylon, I think.

Steve is familiar to the band though.

Posted by: PinballWizard23 ()
Date: September 23, 2021 15:10

Several drummers would have been a better fit especially given the short tour.

Couple they could have borrowed that come to mind that I think would fit well are Zak Starkey and Abe Laboriel JR. Might Max Weinberg would likely fit well too as a short term rental.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-23 16:21 by PinballWizard23.

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: September 23, 2021 15:17

Hi,

If ever Mr. Jordan would not be available, they would have a nice backup in Tim Carman from GA-20. Would be a great drummer for the Stones, he would fit right in.

He plays Jazz and Blues, wears a good suit and has a nice loose swing.

He is now on tour with GA-20 so maybe not available in the short term future.

Cheers,

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 23, 2021 15:20

schwonek
Question: Will Steve Jordan use Charlies drumset in order for him to sound like Charlie? I doubt that a Yamaha will sound like Charlies Gretsch.

Cheers

jb
How anyone could tell nuances like this in a big football stadium is beyond me.

Of course he will use his own drums. This is a professional drum player not some @#$%& they pull up out of the audience because their drummer is fcuked up and cannot continue.

jbCheers

Well, I guess he is not using his own Yamaha set but a vintage Gretsch set - but not Charlies set.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 23, 2021 15:26

jumpingjackflash5

[youtu.be]

Never heard Kenny Jones? He's playing on It's Only Rock and Roll

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 23, 2021 15:36

peoplewitheyes
jumpingjackflash5

[youtu.be]

Yeah and he's the drummer of The G*DD**n FACES!!!! I thought if ya dig the Stones..... ?!!? The Faces, The Who and yer Robert Johnson, Jimmy Reed and Chester Burnett oughta be in the same record shelve?!?!?!?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 23, 2021 15:47

I think that he already established his ignorance in the other thread.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 23, 2021 18:03

Blasphemy, I know, but maybe Ringo could have sat in for this tour. This would be something you'd wanna see and hear.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 23, 2021 18:32

jumpingjackflash5
Yes. If Jordan does not improve during the fall tour, they should consider doing a contest for the new drummer, this time with enough time to choose. Mr. Jordan can be one of the candidates.
So, Steve Jordan was selected as the touring drummer. But, because you don't like him, you want the Stones to have a contest and audition other drummers, but also keep Steve Jordan sitting around just in case he does win this contest? Good lord.

jumpingjackflash5
But things in the drumming department need attention and further evaluation, for sure.
Again, for the millionth time, your opinion is based on a 60 second poorly recorded video from a cellphone. Do you not see the problem with that? What if there were other songs that weren't recorded where Steve sounded incredible and fit right in with the band and the crowd was loving it?

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: September 23, 2021 18:37

I like Steve Jordan's playing.

If for some reason it doesn't work out.......

Steve Gadd

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 23, 2021 19:21

PinballWizard23
Several drummers would have been a better fit especially given the short tour.

Couple they could have borrowed that come to mind that I think would fit well are Zak Starkey and Abe Laboriel JR. Might Max Weinberg would likely fit well too as a short term rental.

Zak Starkey? Are you kidding me. I thought I heard it all now

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: September 23, 2021 19:27

I saw Kenny Jobes with The Who in 81 and he was awesome!

I’m looking forward to some U.K. shows with Steve Jordan next year. I like his drumming

Date: September 23, 2021 19:30

MadMax
peoplewitheyes
jumpingjackflash5

[youtu.be]

Yeah and he's the drummer of The G*DD**n FACES!!!! I thought if ya dig the Stones..... ?!!? The Faces, The Who and yer Robert Johnson, Jimmy Reed and Chester Burnett oughta be in the same record shelve?!?!?!?

I have got records of Robert Johnson and Jimmy Reed, but not Faces. No ignorance in that.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 23, 2021 19:39

I'm going to be very blunt here. Either accept it or move on.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 23, 2021 19:43

Must say it's very strange not to even know who Kenny Jones is. And have all these opinions on Steve Jordan and drumming. Just sayin'...

Date: September 23, 2021 19:52

exhpart
Must say it's very strange not to even know who Kenny Jones is. And have all these opinions on Steve Jordan and drumming. Just sayin'...

Seems that by stating that I have undermined my position here. Would it be better if I lied? I really did not know that drummer, but listening to songs where he played (not only on YT but I searched also others later after the post) gave me impression that his sound and playing is very compatible with the Stones.

No need to be personal and judge my posts through previous knowledge of this drummer, right?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 23, 2021 19:56

exhpart

Takes the pisss out of any drumming argument really.
Methinks it's not the playing the obviously ignorant young lad has a problem with.

Shame he's been able to clog up the threads with this nonsense.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2021 19:58

dmay
Blasphemy, I know, but maybe Ringo could have sat in for this tour. This would be something you'd wanna see and hear.

thumbs up

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 23, 2021 20:15

Hairball
dmay

thumbs up

That’s sooooo funny! Ringo. How about the kid from the Partridge Family

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home