Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28
Re: Steve Jordan plays with Stones for the first time
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:22

Mathijs
I do like it that with Jordan they do play quite a bit faster. I like how they start Trouble's A Coming. Let's be honest, Charlie was dragging quite a bit for the last years.

Mathijs

Yes he was dragging, and just as i suspected they are playing faster and that will continue with Jordan, songs like Brown Sugar were painfully slow in recent years, Keith always got the blame for the slowed down pace, now we know different.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:24

jumpingjackflash5
KRiffhard
Mathijs
I do like it that with Jordan they do play quite a bit faster. I like how they start Trouble's A Coming. Let's be honest, Charlie was dragging quite a bit for the last years.

Mathijs

thumbs up

you're free to enjoy this new sound of what once was a swinging rock and roll band.

Mick - Keith - Charlie: the swinging Rolling Stones

Don't call this band The Rolling Stones, you can call them just "The Stones"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 12:35 by 1962.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:35

jumpingjackflash5
KRiffhard
Mathijs

Mathijs

thumbs up

you're free to enjoy this new sound of what once was a swinging rock and roll band.

Out of curiosity what would you call them if Taylor replaced Ronnie for some reason.

Date: September 22, 2021 12:42

Rocktiludrop
jumpingjackflash5
KRiffhard
Mathijs

Mathijs

thumbs up

Out of curiosity what would you call them if Taylor replaced Ronnie for some reason.

It is not about the name but about the sound that changed.

Date: September 22, 2021 12:47

Rocktiludrop
Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes he was dragging, and just as i suspected they are playing faster and that will continue with Jordan, songs like Brown Sugar were painfully slow in recent years, Keith always got the blame for the slowed down pace, now we know different.

I also noticed bigger slowdown in e.g. 2017, but in 2019 it was faster again.
I would prefer 2019 Stones sound instead 2021 faster Jordan approach anytime.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:50

Great job Steve! Truly a great job!

C

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:57

Charlie played slower, with a lighter touch, ever since 2012. It sounded very different from 2007. But it still sounded like the good old Stones, just older and less aggressive.

Now with Steve the sound will be completely different, less wobble and not the same swing. It will be a different kind of groove. I still think they will sound good, but not in the same way as before.

Date: September 22, 2021 13:06

TheBlockbuster
Charlie played slower, with a lighter touch, ever since 2012. It sounded very different from 2007. But it still sounded like the good old Stones, just older and less aggressive.

Now with Steve the sound will be completely different, less wobble and not the same swing. It will be a different kind of groove. I still think they will sound good, but not in the same way as before.

Yes, completely right. It was a bit slower and lighter, but still having all the specifics, dynamic and pauses that we have known that well from the album's and live shows. Many of those are missing now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 13:07 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: September 22, 2021 13:18

jumpingjackflash5
TheBlockbuster

Yes, completely right. It was a bit slower and lighter, but still having all the specifics, dynamic and pauses that we have known that well from the album's and live shows. Many of those are missing now.

Worst way to celebrate Charlie would have been to place a Carlie copycat on the stool. Charlie is inimitable.

Jordan is a great way to move on!

C

Date: September 22, 2021 13:22

liddas
jumpingjackflash5
TheBlockbuster

Worst way to celebrate Charlie would have been to place a Carlie copycat on the stool. Charlie is inimitable.

C

Yes nobody can replace Charlie completely, but the songs should retain the specific Stones sound, which with Mr. Jordan just does not happen now.

Date: September 22, 2021 13:30

jumpingjackflash5

... but the songs should retain the specific Stones sound, which with Mr. Jordan just does not happen now.

Why?

Thank god Mick Taylor didn't even try to replicate Brian Jones!

C

Date: September 22, 2021 13:33

liddas
jumpingjackflash5

... but the songs should retain the specific Stones sound, which with Mr. Jordan just does not happen now.

Why?

Thank god Mick Taylor didn't even try to replicate Brian Jones!

C

Because Charlie's sound is essential for the majority of Stones' songs. If you do not understand it, then probably we can not argue about that further.

In Taylor era they did not play live many songs that Brian Jones specifically contributed to.

Date: September 22, 2021 13:55

jumpingjackflash5
Rocktiludrop
Mathijs

Mathijs

The slowdown happened in 2012, and remained ever since (JJF, BS, IORR etc).

Date: September 22, 2021 13:57

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
Rocktiludrop
Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes, but in 2017 (if I rememeber) for some shows it has been very prominent and then made a bit faster afterwards

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 22, 2021 14:13

way to early to judge. All we have are some low quality snippets of some songs. The question whether Jordan plays to loud can't be decided on that basis. Whoever tried to record a show with low quality audio equipement or a smart phone know that drums and bass are oft recorded much to loud

Date: September 22, 2021 14:23

jumpingjackflash5
Yes, but in 2017 (if I rememeber) for some shows it has been very prominent and then made a bit faster afterwards

The first few shows in 2017 they played a bit slower than usual:

Start Me Up Hamburg 2017: [www.youtube.com]
Start Me Up Houston 2019: [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 22, 2021 14:45

TheBlockbuster
jumpingjackflash5

Start Me Up Le Trabendo 2012: [youtu.be]

Date: September 22, 2021 14:52

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
jumpingjackflash5

Yes the slowdown happened in 2012, but the tempos in Hamburg 2017 were the slowest I can recall outside of warm-up club gigs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 14:52 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: September 22, 2021 14:58

TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
jumpingjackflash5

Yes the slowdown happened in 2012, but the tempos in Hamburg 2017 were the slowest I can recall outside of warm-up club gigs.

Yeah, I was there smiling smiley

But I've seen some slow versions since the 2012-comeback (and some faster ones).

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:18

Steve, play as you like. Whatever you do will be disaproved here. Good luck
Wait for the new album. Too much compressed wallbricking,.....
Enjoy the music . That is Charlie's desire

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 22, 2021 17:17

And I thought the slowdown happened after 1973 tour...grinning smiley

(Well, they occasionally discovered the speed button again in 1981/82...)

Okay, okay.... just a weak attempt at humour, things are a bit heated and uptight at the moment here... It's only rock and roll, and there is one exceptional band over there just starting a tour....

- Doxa

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 22, 2021 17:47

yeah, let Steve settle in..

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 22, 2021 17:55

We will know more after the first big stadium show. I had always heard that Charlie played with less force than most drummers and he was miced up well.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 22, 2021 18:06

After the first big stadium show we should also have more people reporting back here who were actually in the room to hear what things sound like.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 22, 2021 18:10

It must be said Jordan is handed a rather raw deal.

He has to replace THE drummer no one can replace. The minute he misses a cue or a drum roll it'll be on YT and he'll be crucified on the Net agora. That's a big sword of Damoclese that hangs above his head.

Financially speaking there's no way he'll make as much as the other 3. Will he make as much as Darryl? More (because Keith weighted in)? Less than Darryl cos he's really the newest guy in the band?

Third : the touring format is really not to Jordan's advantage. He'll need 8-10 shows to really feel confortable with his new job, that leaves 3-4 gigs to really display his talent before the band is back to hibernation till 2022.

Date: September 22, 2021 19:11

I hope that the enthusiasm and love for the band and happiness from seeing them again on stage will not hide the fact that Steve Jordan plays different, metronome-like and hard hitting style and that this style is not compatible with the Stones sound we have been used to for as much as 59 years.

There is no problem with accepting Mr. Jordan as a temporary replacement for the postponed shows this fall and anniversary shows next year. He can do his job well and was approved for that purpose, in the limited time that was available for rehearsing.

Then, the Stones should either stop, or if they desperately want to continue they ought to choose the new drummer again from multiple drummers, Mr. Jordan may be one of the candidates. They should evaluate who will sound the best and most compatible with them.

Of course, they can do whatever they want, but they should not harm their great legacy and specific, unique sound that has been the core of their success. There are many bands all over the world who can somehow cover the Stones songs and for sure they have got their own style and performers. But that is not the original.

Keeping fingers crossed both for this fall shows success, and also for the sanity and good intuition of band members' decision for the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 19:15 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 19:24

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
Rocktiludrop
Mathijs

Mathijs

I second that DandelionPowderman.

Went back and listened to a Boston show from 2005 and the speed difference was remarkable to say the least.

I recall the 2005 tour's She's So Cold and Bitch specifically feeling like it was run away train (in an excellent way).

Much different when you compare to say She's So Cold from Boston in 2019, etc.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:09

KR seems to be grinning at SJ and SJ smiling back during JJF.
It is different. It appears MJ and KR approve of SJ. Doesn't really matter what anyone other then KR and MJ have to say. He was CW choice to replace him on this tour. We all have the choice not to listen to music we no longer approve of but somehow I think people will still listen and complain.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:32

I stopped listening and complaining yesterday.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:44

jumpingjackflash5
liddas
jumpingjackflash5
TheBlockbuster

C

Yes nobody can replace Charlie completely, but the songs should retain the specific Stones sound, which with Mr. Jordan just does not happen now.

Jeeezzz, jumpingjackflash5, reading all the stuff that you put in this thread, I wonder if you take yourself serious. We're all frustrated not having Charlie around anymore, but it looks like you're taking it to an extreme. I have visited a modest 80 Rolling Stones concerts over a long period of time and NONE, read NONE has been the same. Live concerts, even with the same bunch of musicians, produce a different mood every time. Maybe Keith had a hangover, or Ronnie had a nightmare, maybe Mick Taylor woke up in the middle of the night because of a screaming hotel servant, or Mick Jagger got an annoying phone call from his lady, or Charlie's favourite horse didn't win, etc., etc. They are no robots, neither is Steve Jordan. Your analysis based on a few snippits is really not worth a penny or dollar cent for that matter. Be honest and tell the people here why you hate Steve Jordan, or is there something else bothering you.
The Rolling Stones are and will be The Rolling Stones, even without Charlie. Darryl and Steve will do whatever they can to make us happy and an open mind will appreciate that without whining. Get a beer or whatever and smile. I hope you can visit one of the upcoming shows with ... an open mind.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home