Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 28
Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: September 22, 2021 19:28

WorriedAboutYou
DandelionPowderman

Out of curiosity, what made Keith 'tragic'?

He looks completely lost and out of it. Hardly able to play the guitar, very nervous, tentative and almost paralysed at some points. The guitar is a real struggle for him now. I felt sorry for him.

And you got this all from a 1 minute clip on the internet....

eye rolling smiley

Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 22, 2021 19:44

Boognish
I realize this is a discussion board and every detail of every thing the Stones have ever done has been analyzed and scrutinized and studied, and that is great, but good lord, I really hope you guys aren't like this during an actual concert! Especially now with Charlie gone. If you're at an upcoming concert, ENJOY IT! I hope during the concert you're not saying to yourself "This is not how Charlie would have played this. I am upset" or "here comes that great drum fill in Wild Horses....hey wait! Steve played it all wrong!". This will most likely be the last time you see your idols in person. Keith was once asked what he thinks about while on stage and he said "nothing". We should be doing that, too. Sit back, have a beer, and enjoy the moment smiling smiley

I totally agree.

BE. HERE. NOW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 19:44 by Woz.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: September 22, 2021 19:46

chevysales
WorriedAboutYou
DandelionPowderman

Out of curiosity, what made Keith 'tragic'?

He looks completely lost and out of it. Hardly able to play the guitar, very nervous, tentative and almost paralysed at some points. The guitar is a real struggle for him now. I felt sorry for him.

And you got this all from a 1 minute clip on the internet....

eye rolling smiley
It is amazing to reach this conclusion, with only a few unaudible snippets

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:05

thecitadel
Great review Hendrik. Great work Matt & Hendrik to get into this gig - and I know it took plenty of planning, time away from home, networking, and relationships built over a long time. And it wasn't certain until shortly before the gig.

Interesting to look at the line-up at the end of the show. Eleven band members on stage: four Brits and seven Americans. As the Stones got much, if not most, of their inspiration from US musicians over the years this seems very right.

Very true. All "new" band members are of US origin, except Matt Clifford. But they started off as fans of US R&B style music, so it is natural.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:13

bv
thecitadel
Great review Hendrik. Great work Matt & Hendrik to get into this gig - and I know it took plenty of planning, time away from home, networking, and relationships built over a long time. And it wasn't certain until shortly before the gig.

Interesting to look at the line-up at the end of the show. Eleven band members on stage: four Brits and seven Americans. As the Stones got much, if not most, of their inspiration from US musicians over the years this seems very right.

Very true. All "new" band members are of US origin, except Matt Clifford. But they started off as fans of US R&B style music, so it is natural.

Imagine if either Harvey Mandel or Wayne Perkins (both American) would have been hired as a replacement for Mick Taylor.
Both excellent players with unique and original styles - the Stones could have started their Americanization process back in the mid-'70's.
But then we wouldn't have Ronnie as a Rolling Stone which is almost unimagineable at this point...............

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:30

This is a thread about the PRIVATE SHOW in FOXBORO SEPT 20, 2021.

If you want to discuss other topics, please find another thread here. I have spent two hours this morning looking through quite a bit of off topic wandering around talks here, deleting very little, just a few offending and/or offending posts.

I do accept the fact that people are emotional about Charlie, but from now on, please stay ON TOPIC. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:37

thecitadel

Somehow I don't manage to find that review. Can someone show me the way?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:43

Hendrik
What a historical and emotional night it was in a tent at the Gillette Stadium on September 20.
We entered the venue at 20.30, had to give our names and proof of full vaccination and found our way to the tent.
The very first Stones gig since 2019, the first show of their 2021 tour and, unfortunately, the very first show without Charlie Watts.

Robert Kraft came on stage at 21.00 and did a short introduction speech about the stones playing in Gillette for the first time in 2002 and that this was for his recent big birthday adding that every Birthday is a blessing and he wanted everyone attending to embrace life and enjoy the moment with the greatest rock and roll band in the world.
2 minutes later the Stones were on; we expected a very standard short setlist with only the well known songs but what a surprise it was: Let’s Spend The Night Together as opener!
Mick was looking great and powerful as always, Keith with a black beanie on his head, Ronnie’s hair re-growing strongly after his treatment this year and Steve, with sunglasses, smiling all the time.
After Tumbling Dice there it was, Charlie being honoured: Mick, Keith and Ronnie, huddled together arms around each others shoulders, obviously touched. Mick mentioned that it was their first tour in 59 years without Charlie Watts. That they miss Charlie so much, miss him as a band, miss him as friends, many memories and he was sure that he will be missed by everyone who ever attended a concert and he would like to dedicate this show to Charlie. Ronnie added: "Charlie we’re praying and playing for you”
After these emotional words we got another unexpected song: Under My thumb.
It was with this song that I paid a bit more attention to Steve: his drumming was, as expected, more firm and robust, but absolutely not too loud and certainly not as dominant as he was with the Winos.
After this it was time for “ A song we never performed before on stage, only at home and recorded ages ago and will be on the rerelease of the tattoo You Album. An obscure cover called Trouble’s A Coming”
This song circulated in trading circles for a couple of months but it’s a safe bet to say that no one in the audience ever heard this one before! The yet unreleased outtake version has a nice falsetto but Jagger didn’t do that tonight. Makes me wonder how the version on the rerelease of Tattoo You will be…..
Next was the premiere of Ghost Town, which worked out really well with great harmonica and good audience participation.
Then Mick said happy birthday to Robert Kraft and said that Its so nice to play for someone even older than we are”
After You Can’t Always Get What You Want we got Midnight Rambler; really miss Charlie on this song.
The band introduction was very interesting too. Steve Jordan was introduced as "a great friend of Charlie and the first show with us, Steve Jordan” Steve, being very humble, stayed at his drum kit.
Another highlight of the show was the 'saxophone weaving' between Tim Ries and Karl Denson on Miss You, stunning!
19th Nervous Breakdown is a keeper and then we got the usual warhorses like Start Me Up, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, Jumpin’ Jack Flash and as ecore, Satisfaction. Interesting detail: Street Fighting Man was mentioned on the setlist but wasn’t played. Quite surprisingly Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women weren’t played, which you would expect in a private show..
Time for the bow: first with the entire band, then Keith all but disappeared and I got the impression he needed a little encouragement to come back out to bow as just a three without Charlie.
We had an amazing night; my advice: I feel the best way to honour Charlie is go out en see ‘em!

Hendrik Mulder

smileys with beer
Thanks for the review.. can't wait to do just that.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:52

For a change, no complaints here. Mick and both guitars seem (sound) intact and that's the best news!

Posted by: CrosseyedHeart ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:56

WorriedAboutYou-I hope this means you’ll be leaving us now. Bye. No reason for you to hang around anymore. Your mean, ill-informed comments won’t be missed.
And calling Ronnie a “clown.” Really heartless. Absolutely no class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 20:57 by CrosseyedHeart.

Date: September 22, 2021 21:02

MartinB
For a change, no complaints here. Mick and both guitars seem (sound) intact and that's the best news!

Mick and guitars were OK in Foxboro. But the drummer does not blend with the band, he is not compatible with Stones' sound. Mr. Jordan cuts the sound, hammers on drums, plays like a metronome. He does not blend with the overall sound of the band now. Maybe it will improve .....

Steve Jordan plays with Stones for the first time
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 22, 2021 03:25

[www.youtube.com]

Looks like Steve has found his groove with the Stones. I am pretty impressed.

Re: Steve Jordan plays with Stones for the first time
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 05:59

I didn’t mind him from these, in truth, average clips. But I thought he WAS too loud. Mick looked like he turned to him a couple of times perhaps suggesting he turn the pile driver down a notch. To me, anyway.

Rod

Date: September 22, 2021 09:01

bitusa2012
I didn’t mind him from these, in truth, average clips. But I thought he WAS too loud. Mick looked like he turned to him a couple of times perhaps suggesting he turn the pile driver down a notch. To me, anyway.

Yes way too loud and playing like a metronome. Boom, boom, boom ...

Listen to this clip for what we were used to hear on drums .... it swings, follows the guitars ....

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 09:03 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 22, 2021 09:45

That's what I fear: He plays too loud. The same problem like on "Talk is Cheap".

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 09:58

RobertJohnson
That's what I fear: He plays too loud. The same problem like on "Talk is Cheap".

This is just one, the first, concert. I remember going to Düsseldorf in Germany and Ronnie was blowing the voices of the choir away during YCAGWYW. His guitar was too loud. These things happen and there are PA technicians around who will notice and, where neccessary, make corrections. Give it some time, please.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: September 22, 2021 10:17

True that Steve hits the skins harder than Charlie but in a large venue the being to loud issue can be controlled by the guy behind the mixing desk.

Date: September 22, 2021 10:21

latvianinexile
True that Steve hits the skins harder than Charlie but in a large venue the being to loud issue can be controlled by the guy behind the mixing desk.

And Charlie really pounds hard on the tunes we've seen with Steve as well (except for Miss You, which sounded great with Steve).

There simply isn't enough evidence for a valid comparison yet, imo.

Date: September 22, 2021 10:26

DandelionPowderman
latvianinexile

And Charlie really pounds hard on the tunes we've seen with Steve as well (except for Miss You, which sounded great with Steve).

Yes Charlie also drummed hard when it was appropriate and neeeded. Jordan drums like a metronome and does not change the dynamics - just goes boom, boom, boom, boom.

Date: September 22, 2021 10:37

jumpingjackflash5
DandelionPowderman
latvianinexile

Yes Charlie also drummed hard when it was appropriate and neeeded. Jordan drums like a metronome and does not change the dynamics - just goes boom, boom, boom, boom.

And that was appropriate and needed in the midst of JJF, Satisfaction and 19th nervous Breakdown just like Jordan did.

Let's hear more songs, and a better sound mix than a crappy cell phone before we judge too harshly, shall we?

Date: September 22, 2021 10:44

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
DandelionPowderman
latvianinexile

And that was appropriate and needed in the midst of JJF, Satisfaction and 19th nervous Breakdown just like Jordan did.

Let's hear more songs, and a better sound mix than a crappy cell phone before we judge too harshly, shall we?

Yes we shall listen how stadium shows will sound.
But I doubt Steve Jordan can play with different style than he does.
Even his drumming on those snippets is way more mechanic and loud rhan Charlie's.

Date: September 22, 2021 10:53

jumpingjackflash5
DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
DandelionPowderman
latvianinexile

Even his drumming on those snippets is way more mechanic and loud rhan Charlie's.

Why would he do that? He will play like Steve Jordan, not Charlie Watts. He's a different musician.

Date: September 22, 2021 10:56

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
DandelionPowderman
latvianinexile

Why would he do that? He will play like Steve Jordan, not Charlie Watts. He's a different musician.

Because he now plays with the Rolling Stones. He ought to try to blend with their sound.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 22, 2021 10:57

Charlie always struck me as providing a canvas for Mick, Keith and Ron to paint their stuff. Unobtrusive but essential. Steve Jordan seems to want to be a painter too. I'm sure he's really nice guy but, so far and only judging by a few grainy mobile phone clips, he doesn't seem to have Charlie's finesse, in fact I think he's way too intrusive with all that loud mono syllabic banging. It's the first time I've heard a 'Stones' replacement and thought............hmmmm....maybe not.

Having said that, it's early and things might get more fine tuned back stage...........

Date: September 22, 2021 10:59

EddieByword
Charlie always struck me as providing a canvas for Mick, Keith and Ron to paint their stuff. Unobtrusive but essential. Steve Jordan seems to want to be a painter too. I'm sure he's really nice guy but, so far and only judging by a few grainy mobile phone clips, he doesn't seem to have Charlie's finesse, in fact I think he's way too intrusive with all that loud mono syllabic banging. It's the first time I've heard a 'Stones' replacement and thought............hmmmm....maybe not.

Having said that, it's early and things might get more fine tuned back stage...........

thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 22, 2021 11:27

I do like it that with Jordan they do play quite a bit faster. I like how they start Trouble's A Coming. Let's be honest, Charlie was dragging quite a bit for the last years.

Mathijs

Date: September 22, 2021 11:52

Mathijs
I do like it that with Jordan they do play quite a bit faster. I like how they start Trouble's A Coming. Let's be honest, Charlie was dragging quite a bit for the last years.

Mathijs

Strange. Yes you may like the new sound, but the old sound was the original one, how it was played on albums and throughout the Stones carreer.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:08

Mathijs

Mathijs

thumbs up

Date: September 22, 2021 12:11

KRiffhard
Mathijs

Mathijs

thumbs up

you're free to enjoy this new sound of what once was a swinging rock and roll band.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:20

georgie48
RobertJohnson

This is just one, the first, concert. I remember going to Düsseldorf in Germany and Ronnie was blowing the voices of the choir away during YCAGWYW. His guitar was too loud. These things happen and there are PA technicians around who will notice and, where neccessary, make corrections. Give it some time, please.

smileys with beer
I agree and remember as well. Also Keiths guitar during JJF was like a razor and cut off my head.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home