Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 28
Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 22, 2021 15:35

bradleycsocal
I don't recall anyone saying BB King should put Lucille in the closet and quit when he was playing in his 80s. I never heard Buddy Guy referred to as a sad shell of himself. The people clamoring for retirement are similar to those complaining about ticket prices; if you don't like it, don't go to any shows. I guess we do live in a cancel culture and now they want to cancel The Stones.

The admirable thing about the remaining Stones is "They Will Not Be Cancelled", from Covid to Chemo they refuse to check out and quietly fade away.

Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 22, 2021 15:36

Rocktiludrop
as i suggested Keith probably wasn't full on with this corporate kind of Gig so was possibly less enthusiastic to sing his heart out for them.

If you think Keith had any prevention about turning into a corporate wh0re for 60 minutes think twice. He's realised long ago (in 1989) Mick had a super-natural ability to generate cash (1st with Cohl, then on his own) and that, if the band was in his hands they'd now play ballrooms in the East coast of the British Isles for 200 people a night.
What happened last night was a dress rehearsal with a new drummer paid a supmtuous sum of money. Who could have negociated that kind of one-in-a-million deal? Jagger.
With Keith's full approval.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 22, 2021 15:40

GerardHennessy
For me it all seems desperately sad. Not disrespectful or inappropriate or anything so extreme. Just rather sad. And, dare I say it, a little tawdry. At least for me.

Arguments will continue for all time about whether they should, or should not, continue. Whether they are, or are not, The Stones. One thing is definitely true, there is a tremendous amount of passion invested in this topic by an awful lot of people. The Stones can certainly engage the emotions of many many people worldwide.

One thing I have certainly learned over the past few weeks. There in not one single Rolling Stones. There are millions of different Rolling Stones. Every fan has their own personal view on what the Rolling Stones are. For me they will always be the swaggering, impertinent, insouciant group on in-yer-face young men who exploded into my life in 1964 and blew the world apart. Nothing was ever the same again. Naturally I am very possessive of that version of The Stones. But there will be people here for whom it means nothing. And why should it? They will have their memories, their views on what the Rolling Stones should be.

When The Stones started out, they generated an enormous amount of argument, criticism, passion and excitement. In a different way they are STILL doing so 59 years later as we argue between ourselves about what they should and should not do. Sadly for me, the time has come for ME to leave the building. What the band have become is a step too far. A pale retread of what they once were. A corporate entertainment perk to be enjoyed by people who are more interested in showing off to each other than listening to The Greatest Rock 'n'Roll Band In The World. But for anyone who believes differently, I have nothing but respect. Please believe that.

Enjoy them while you can. Because when they finally do go, we will never see or hear anything like them ever again. Never!

This.

+1

Drew

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 22, 2021 15:53

Thanks for the new twitter/youtube clips. They sound much better. Hard to judge anything from those clips though.
Seems to there is a struggle between the positive or negative lot here. 50/50? A little bit of both?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 22, 2021 15:54

dcba
Rocktiludrop
as i suggested Keith probably wasn't full on with this corporate kind of Gig so was possibly less enthusiastic to sing his heart out for them.

If you think Keith had any prevention about turning into a corporate wh0re for 60 minutes think twice. He's realised long ago (in 1989) Mick had a super-natural ability to generate cash (1st with Cohl, then on his own) and that, if the band was in his hands they'd now play ballrooms in the East coast of the British Isles for 200 people a night.
What happened last night was a dress rehearsal with a new drummer paid a supmtuous sum of money. Who could have negociated that kind of one-in-a-million deal? Jagger.
With Keith's full approval.

You're comments are spot on, in my opinion about Keith, Mick and money.

Nothing wrong with thinking that way, when you are in the greatest Rock Band ever.

We have been getting our Lucky Dip tickets at a reasonable price for most of their gigs for some years now.
So you don't have to be super rich if you really want to see them play live and they are playing somewhere easy enough to travel to. smileys with beer

Date: September 22, 2021 15:58

As long as Keith Richards and Mick Jagger want to perform together there are the Rolling Stones. No matter what. Enjoy them while you can.

Date: September 22, 2021 16:11

TheflyingDutchman
As long as Keith Richards and Mick Jagger want to perform together there are the Rolling Stones. No matter what. Enjoy them while you can.

I really hope it will not end like this [www.youtube.com]

... based only on want.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:13

DandelionPowderman
Topi
A few things to consider:

These guys are almost in their eighties.

They lost Charlie.

Ronnie went through cancer treatment (again).

They were forced to take more than 2 years off from performing - at their age.

Yet, back they are.

Let that sink in for a minute. It's incredible when you think about it.

Is it the same as before? Of course not. Nothing ever stays the same. And the end is right around the corner.

But they're not done yet.

Hear hear! thumbs up

Of course it's not the same! It's a different musician behind the drum kit. I don't know why that is so hard to fathom.

For what it's worth, the clips I heard sounded tighter than the 2019-tour - especially the guitars. That surprised me a bit, actually.

It was good to see Ronnie looking well, and Keith looked trim and in better shape, too.

These guys deserve a medal, not the hate they're getting from their "fans".

smileys with beer

*(oh.. wait. is the clinking beer glasses somehow disrespectful?) eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:16

A bit surprised no one has yet said it was the "greatest show ever" - usually there's at least few of those type of comments even from fans who weren't in attendance.

Date: September 22, 2021 16:21

I know it's been a while, but to my ears this was likely their greatest show ever.

Can't wait till Sunday, when I have no doubt it will bump this one and become their greatest show ever.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:22

yes it's a cover of The Chi-lites song, Mick introduces it as such at the show..
here's the original
video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:23

deleted post, sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 16:24 by johnh.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:26

jumpingjackflash5
TheflyingDutchman

... based only on want.

Good old Chuck...always a bit sad to see this...

Date: September 22, 2021 16:29

Hairball
jumpingjackflash5
TheflyingDutchman

... based only on want.

yes also this make me sad ... and the Stones ought to (and I still think will) avoid getting even close to this state. Just for clarity, I do NOT think that they are in trouble now, but they should handle their drumming department very carefully if they want to continue.

Date: September 22, 2021 16:30

I’ve gotten more pleasure from The Rolling Stones than any woman I’ve ever been with. I’m eternally grateful for all they have done and will support them until the end, which I hope is several years away still.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Date: September 22, 2021 16:41

MisterDDDD
DandelionPowderman
Topi
A few things to consider:

These guys are almost in their eighties.

They lost Charlie.

Ronnie went through cancer treatment (again).

They were forced to take more than 2 years off from performing - at their age.

Yet, back they are.

Let that sink in for a minute. It's incredible when you think about it.

Is it the same as before? Of course not. Nothing ever stays the same. And the end is right around the corner.

But they're not done yet.

Hear hear! thumbs up

Of course it's not the same! It's a different musician behind the drum kit. I don't know why that is so hard to fathom.

For what it's worth, the clips I heard sounded tighter than the 2019-tour - especially the guitars. That surprised me a bit, actually.

It was good to see Ronnie looking well, and Keith looked trim and in better shape, too.

These guys deserve a medal, not the hate they're getting from their "fans".

smileys with beer

*(oh.. wait. is the clinking beer glasses somehow disrespectful?) eye rolling smiley

LOL grinning smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:46

Great great guys

Date: September 22, 2021 16:48

jumpingjackflash5

yes also this make me sad ... and the Stones ought to (and I still think will) avoid getting even close to this state. Just for clarity, I do NOT think that they are in trouble now, but they should handle their drumming department very carefully if they want to continue.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel in this latest attempt to make your point imo.
The dozens of times you've dragged them seemed sufficient.
Digging up a bad clip of Chuck, before they play his town, on a site his family members occasionally post, is very poor form.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:48

Thanks to Henrik for posting his review. It was good to read a few words from someone there. I was thankful too, to see the clip posted on Mick's social media and to hear what was said publicly about Charlie. I can't imagine what it must have felt like for the three principals to take that final bow without a fourth.

Date: September 22, 2021 16:52

MisterDDDD
jumpingjackflash5

Scraping the bottom of the barrel in this latest attempt to make your point imo.
The dozens of times you've dragged them seemed sufficient.
Digging up a bad clip of Chuck, before they play his town, on a site his family members occasionally post, is very poor form.

Yes that was a worst-case example. As I said they are NOT even near those problems now.

Posted by: legin ()
Date: September 22, 2021 17:31

makemeburnthecandle
I’ve gotten more pleasure from The Rolling Stones than any woman I’ve ever been with. I’m eternally grateful for all they have done and will support them until the end, which I hope is several years away still.
Me too, makeme'...I'm with you on that one!thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 22, 2021 17:39

Hairball
jumpingjackflash5
TheflyingDutchman

... based only on want.

And it actually got way worse just after that, some concerts in Russia come to mind, it was absolutely terrible to look at. Fortunately common sense prevailed and that was the end of his live shows if memory serves.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 22, 2021 17:55

Wow I admire your honesty there Candle!Maybe you have been barking up the wrong tree.Peace be on you brother.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 22, 2021 18:34

makemeburnthecandle

More than any woman? Erm, okay confused smiley

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 22, 2021 18:39

I did not think tney sounded bad at all.Different yes. As it would be. Charlie is gone.
God bless him. During JJF Keith was grinning at Stanley and
He was smiling back. Keith looked happy between Stanley and Darryl. MJ and KR approve of Stanley and trust him with their music. What we think really won't change anything. He was Charlie's choice to replace him on this tour. MT changed the sound after BJ. RW changed the sound after MT. Tumbling Dice sez "keep on rollin".

I just realized there are still 2 more Stones. Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor that would have softened this blow of CW death. Four living Stones onstage. But that will never happen.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 22, 2021 18:46

I realize this is a discussion board and every detail of every thing the Stones have ever done has been analyzed and scrutinized and studied, and that is great, but good lord, I really hope you guys aren't like this during an actual concert! Especially now with Charlie gone. If you're at an upcoming concert, ENJOY IT! I hope during the concert you're not saying to yourself "This is not how Charlie would have played this. I am upset" or "here comes that great drum fill in Wild Horses....hey wait! Steve played it all wrong!". This will most likely be the last time you see your idols in person. Keith was once asked what he thinks about while on stage and he said "nothing". We should be doing that, too. Sit back, have a beer, and enjoy the moment smiling smiley

Date: September 22, 2021 18:48

PhillyFAN
I did not think tney sounded bad at all.Different yes. As it would be. Charlie is gone.
He was smiling back. Keith looked happy between Stanley and Darryl. MJ and KR approve of Stanley and trust him with their music. What we think really won't change anything. He was Charlie's choice to replace him on this tour. MT changed the sound after BJ. RW changed the sound after MT. Tumbling Dice sez "keep on rollin".

I just realized there are still 2 more Stones. Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor that would have softened this blow of CW death. Four living Stones onstage. But that will never happen.

Date: September 22, 2021 18:49

PhillyFAN
PhillyFAN

My mistake. Steve not Stanley!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 22, 2021 19:10

PhillyFAN
Four living Stones onstage. But that will never happen.

Maybe next year for the 60th anniversary reunion tour

Date: September 22, 2021 19:11

I hope that the enthusiasm and love for the band and happiness from seeing them again on stage will not hide the fact that Steve Jordan plays different, metronome-like and hard hitting style and that this style is not compatible with the Stones sound we have been used to for as much as 59 years.

There is no problem with accepting Mr. Jordan as a temporary replacement for the postponed shows this fall and anniversary shows next year. He can do his job well and was approved for that purpose, in the limited time that was available for rehearsing.

Then, the Stones should either stop, or if they desperately want to continue they ought to choose the new drummer again from multiple drummers, Mr. Jordan may be one of the candidates. They should evaluate who will sound the best and most compatible with them.

Of course, they can do whatever they want, but they should not harm their great legacy and specific, unique sound that has been the core of their success. There are many bands all over the world who can somehow cover the Stones songs and for sure they have got their own style and performers. But that is not the original.

Keeping fingers crossed both for this fall shows success, and also for the sanity and good intuition of band members' decision for the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 19:12 by jumpingjackflash5.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1245
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home