Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 28
Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: ExileFromNJ ()
Date: September 22, 2021 04:58

Have the critics here ever seen the ragged 1969 show the Stones did in Hyde Park after Brian passed and Mick T. took the spot? It got a lot better after that didn't it?

Sara Dash passed away yesterday. I'm guessing KR knew, she was in the Wino's with KR and SJ. How did they feel about that on show day?

The point is they have the right to enjoy the legacy and perform together. Not just the THREE but the whole lot of them, band, crew, staff. It is not going to last forever folks.

Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 22, 2021 05:00

Really hard to judge how things will sound 2-3 gigs into the run based on the short clips I’ve seen. Nice tribute to Charlie, Mick had his arm round Keith’s shoulder while saying what he said. Charlie’s passing could bring the remaining 3 closer together.

Date: September 22, 2021 05:09

Woz
jumpingjackflash5
Woz
From what I can glean through the various videos the band sounds @#$%& great in 2021.

Yes, great vocals, solid guitars, moving tribute to Charlie, nice to see them after 2 years.
But drums are different and change the sound significantly.

Jordan doesn’t swing like Charlie, he is a more metronomic approach, buts it’s powerful in its own right. It’s different, but it’s not bad…..it’s just different.

I agree it's not musically wrong or bad. But I still miss Charlie's sound, which Steve Jordan cannot substitute.

Date: September 22, 2021 05:12

ExileFromNJ
Have the critics here ever seen the ragged 1969 show the Stones did in Hyde Park after Brian passed and Mick T. took the spot? It got a lot better after that didn't it?

Sara Dash passed away yesterday. I'm guessing KR knew, she was in the Wino's with KR and SJ. How did they feel about that on show day?

The point is they have the right to enjoy the legacy and perform together. Not just the THREE but the whole lot of them, band, crew, staff. It is not going to last forever folks.
This is completely different situation that in 1969.
Sure they have got right to do anything. But they should try to maintain high standards and preserve their legacy. Which, if the sound does not improve, means doing the postponed shows, celebrate the anniversary next year (maybe with some more shows in Europe), release the final album with Charlie's tracks and stop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 05:13 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 22, 2021 05:13

CrosseyedHeart
It is heartbreaking to me to come to what is supposed to be a Rolling Stones fan site and read such negative, hateful things about a band I thought we loved-especially now. If there was ever a time for the “Stones Family” to pull together and be supportive, you would think it would be now but no. Attacking Ronnie-someone who just beat cancer for the second time-attacking Mick’s voice and “breathing” issues (he sounds great to me). Attacking Keith’s playing-as usual-and even his choice of head wear. Charlie not gone a month and “fans” here not willing to give them one ounce of respect. Even dragging out the old “time to bring back Mick Taylor” line. All this from cell phone snippets.
Don’t you think it’s difficult for them to even be playing? Personally, I think they sound great-Mick’s voice, the guitars, everything. I admire them for persevering through this difficult time and I look forward to seeing them next week in Charlotte.
Please stop the awful, hateful comments. I hope the band doesn’t read them. How hurtful would that be. It doesn’t make you seem “knowledgable” or “cool.” It’s just mean and mean-spirited. If you dislike them that much, go away. Your negativity contributes absolutely nothing. You’re just being a downer when a true Stones fan would want some positivity right now. Grow up.

Well said, CrossEyed. I completely agree. What’s the point of making fun and posting hateful things about the band on their biggest fan site? They’ve suffered a great loss and are finding their footing again, as they’ve done numerous times. So many fu(King critics around here.

Date: September 22, 2021 05:19

BFR
CrosseyedHeart
It is heartbreaking to me to come to what is supposed to be a Rolling Stones fan site and read such negative, hateful things about a band I thought we loved-especially now. If there was ever a time for the “Stones Family” to pull together and be supportive, you would think it would be now but no. Attacking Ronnie-someone who just beat cancer for the second time-attacking Mick’s voice and “breathing” issues (he sounds great to me). Attacking Keith’s playing-as usual-and even his choice of head wear. Charlie not gone a month and “fans” here not willing to give them one ounce of respect. Even dragging out the old “time to bring back Mick Taylor” line. All this from cell phone snippets.
Don’t you think it’s difficult for them to even be playing? Personally, I think they sound great-Mick’s voice, the guitars, everything. I admire them for persevering through this difficult time and I look forward to seeing them next week in Charlotte.
Please stop the awful, hateful comments. I hope the band doesn’t read them. How hurtful would that be. It doesn’t make you seem “knowledgable” or “cool.” It’s just mean and mean-spirited. If you dislike them that much, go away. Your negativity contributes absolutely nothing. You’re just being a downer when a true Stones fan would want some positivity right now. Grow up.

Well said, CrossEyed. I completely agree. What’s the point of making fun and posting hateful things about the band on their biggest fan site? They’ve suffered a great loss and are finding their footing again, as they’ve done numerous times. So many fu(King critics around here.

They cannot find their footing without Charlie Watts. Maybe they can find some other groove than we can listen to and while different still of high quality. I had no problems with Wyman-Darryl change, but this is obvious hearing even those snippets.

I highly appreciate their effort, Jagger singing, guitars playing, getting up after 2 years of pandemic. But admitting that sound has changed is not negativity per se. Just opening the ears.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 22, 2021 05:27

If any of you are in a band, next time you play a gig have someone film 30 seconds of it on a crappy sounding cellphone and post it on here so I can criticize the mix and how your band sounds. I'll judge your entire show and any future shows based on that 30 second clip from a crappy sounding cellphone. Thanks!

Date: September 22, 2021 05:40

Boognish
If any of you are in a band, next time you play a gig have someone film 30 seconds of it on a crappy sounding cellphone and post it on here so I can criticize the mix and how your band sounds. I'll judge your entire show and any future shows based on that 30 second clip from a crappy sounding cellphone. Thanks!

Those snippets are for sure of limited quality, but metronome-like and sound-cutting drumming of Steve Jordan can clearly be heard there.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 22, 2021 05:49

jumpingjackflash5
Boognish

Those snippets are for sure of limited quality, but metronome-like and sound-cutting drumming of Steve Jordan can clearly be heard there.

Metronome, yes. But the sound-cutting drumming, couldn’t that be the cell video?

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: September 22, 2021 07:31

sf37
georgemcdonnell314
I just read this on Yahoo news. It's like they took the info right off of here. Almost word for word the same thing.

[www.yahoo.com]

In reading the article, I didn't realize that "Troubles-A-Coming" is a cover song (the Chi-lites?)- - I thought it was a Jagger/Richards creation. Is Andy Greene correct in stating that
Yes,Troubles a coming is The Chi-lites song
Orginal: [youtu.be]

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: September 22, 2021 07:49

ProfessorWolf
little mention of how great it is to see ronnie up there playing a man who just went through a bout with extremly aggresive cancer that will likley return playing his ass off and clearly loving it

Very well said ProfessorWolf. Thank you

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: September 22, 2021 08:00

ProfessorWolf
just read through 14 pages and wow all i can say is what a bummer not the band the fans

Sadly it puts many that have opinions based on a first hand experience that would greatly enrich this thread from posting here... I know several people that attended the show on Monday that have posted on this forum before yet we have heard from just one. Sad, Sad, Sad.

Date: September 22, 2021 08:08

NashvilleBlues
jumpingjackflash5
Boognish

Metronome, yes. But the sound-cutting drumming, couldn’t that be the cell video?

Can be a bit, but Jordan has been drumming like this even on other tracks in the past. It's the sound of his hitting the drums, which kind of "cuts" or "cracks" the overall sound rather than blending with other instruments.

Hope this can be improved a bit in future shows.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: September 22, 2021 08:37

Boognish

Agreed, that kind of video/audio is just proof of attendance. It doesn't capture the sound in any way to determine how well they are playing. Too bad the Kraft's didn't invite any of the Boston area tapers I know to properly capture the performance.

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: September 22, 2021 08:47

sf37
georgemcdonnell314
I just read this on Yahoo news. It's like they took the info right off of here. Almost word for word the same thing.

[www.yahoo.com]

In reading the article, I didn't realize that "Troubles-A-Coming" is a cover song (the Chi-lites?)- - I thought it was a Jagger/Richards creation. Is Andy Greene correct in stating that?

Yes, Troubles a coming is The Chi-Lites song
Original version: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 08:50 by Harry.

Date: September 22, 2021 09:04

mattleeuk
ProfessorWolf
just read through 14 pages and wow all i can say is what a bummer not the band the fans

Sadly it puts many that have opinions based on a first hand experience that would greatly enrich this thread from posting here... I know several people that attended the show on Monday that have posted on this forum before yet we have heard from just one. Sad, Sad, Sad.

Listen to this clip for what we were used to hear on drums .... it swings, follows the guitars ....

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 09:05 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 09:39

CrosseyedHeart
Xou are definetly right. It is their life to make music and we can be greatfull for what they gave to us over all these years. I miss Charles Robert Watts and The Stones are not the Stones without him. But I give my respect to their courage and they will grow by foing, whst they are doing. If they had canceled this tour, it would have been the end.
The Rolling Stones may be history but Muck Keit and Ronnie gather some great people and keep on. What more can we expect? Life is not predictable and I don't like telling people, what they should do or not. I am sure that one reaspn for their succes is, to follow their instinct and not listening to other people, who try to tell them whats good or bad.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 22, 2021 09:45

A few things to consider:

These guys are almost in their eighties.

They lost Charlie.

Ronnie went through cancer treatment (again).

They were forced to take more than 2 years off from performing - at their age.

Yet, back they are.

Let that sink in for a minute. It's incredible when you think about it.

Is it the same as before? Of course not. Nothing ever stays the same. And the end is right around the corner.

But they're not done yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 09:53 by Topi.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 09:53

Topi

They lost Charlie.

Yet, back they are.

Is it the same as before? Of course not. Nothing ever stays the same.

Well said, Topi! thumbs up

... and the whiners will be around too. confused smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 22, 2021 09:57

I doubt very much that the folk in that tent had crappy phones.Not sure why board members are so annoyed and hurt and taking criticism so personally.Some really need to man up.
Captain there is a problem in the engine room and it’s clear to hear.
Mr Jordan fitted the Winos excellent music,but currently he don’t fit the sound of the Stones Symphony.
If we get future Stones albums and Charlie’s drumming is not available to use,maybe they trial different drummers and get the right sound.It could be song specific.They did it with guitarists when replacing Sir Mick Talyor.Why not repeat the process with drummers.
Captain there is a problem in the engine room!

The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: DocChill ()
Date: September 22, 2021 10:05

Hi altogether,

after reading the recent comments, especially the negative ones, I like to say that we - together as "die-hard Rolling-Stones-fans" - should be very, very happy and proud, that our band is doing, what they are doing in these hard times!

Every show, our "boys" are playing live since the end of the Bigger Bang Tour in August 2007 (I attended to show No. 1 of 3 and I really thought it's the end!), has to get understand as a bonus-present for us!

These guys gave us so much...
...we should be very, very thankful for that!

Cheers!

Date: September 22, 2021 10:08

Topi

They lost Charlie.

Yet, back they are.

Is it the same as before? Of course not. Nothing ever stays the same. And the end is right around the corner.

Hear hear! thumbs up

Of course it's not the same! It's a different musician behind the drum kit. I don't know why that is so hard to fathom.

For what it's worth, the clips I heard sounded tighter than the 2019-tour - especially the guitars. That surprised me a bit, actually.

It was good to see Ronnie looking well, and Keith looked trim and in better shape, too.

These guys deserve a medal, not the hate they're getting from their "fans".

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 10:12

DocChill
Hi altogether,

after reading the recent comments, especially the negative ones, I like to say that we - together as "die-hard Rolling-Stones-fans" - should be very, very happy and proud, that our band is doing, what they are doing in these hard times!

Every show, our "boys" are playing live since the end of the Bigger Bang Tour in August 2007 (I attended to show No. 1 of 3 and I really thought it's the end!), has to get understand as a bonus-present for us!

Cheers!

Right. It is.
And I am quite sure, they won't end like Chuck Berry, who lost his instinct.

Date: September 22, 2021 10:37

micha063
DocChill
Hi altogether,

Cheers!

Right. It is.
And I am quite sure, they won't end like Chuck Berry, who lost his instinct.
I hope they won't. Next year anniversary would be good occasion to release last album with Charlie's tracks, play some final shows and stop.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 22, 2021 11:22

The Mick Taylor-era Stones didn’t sound like the Brian-era Stones. But They were The Rolling Stones.
The Ronnie-era Stones don’t sound like either of these. But they are The Rolling Stones.
The Darryl-era Stones don’t sound like the Bill-era Stones. But they are The Rolling Stones.
The modern Stones (1989-present) don’t sound like the vintage Stones (1962-1982). But they are The Rolling Stones.
The Steve Jordan-era Stones don’t sound like the Charlie-era Stones. They can’t and they don’t have to. They are still The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 13:11 by RisingStone.

Date: September 22, 2021 11:25

RisingStone
The Mick Taylor-era Stones didn’t sound like the Brian-era Stones. But They were The Rolling Stones.
The Ronnie-era Stones don’t sound like either of these. But they are The Rolling Stones.
The Darryl-era Stones don’t sound like the Bill-era Stones. But they are The Rolling Stones.
The modern Stones (1989-present) don’t sound like the vintage Stones (1962-1982). But they are The Rolling Stones.
The Steve Jones-era Stones don’t sound like the Charlie-era Stones. They can’t and they don’t have to. They are still The Rolling Stones.

Difference between Wyman-Darryl is much less and not sound changing like the Watts-Jordan move.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 11:31

Mick - Keith - Charlie: the swinging Rolling Stones

none of them can be replaced

(Bill was also very important, but without him the Rolling Stones magic still worked)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 11:39 by 1962.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 22, 2021 11:33

jumpingjackflash5
RisingStone
The Steve Jordan-era Stones don’t sound like the Charlie-era Stones. They can’t and they don’t have to. They are still The Rolling Stones.

Difference between Wyman-Darryl is much less and not sound changing like the Watts-Jordan move.

More or less, they are The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 13:12 by RisingStone.

Date: September 22, 2021 11:39

Mick - Keith - Charlie: the swinging Rolling Stones

none of them can be replaced

(Bill was also very important, but without him the Rolling Stones magic still worked)

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 22, 2021 11:52

My pennies worth after watching the clips and reading all the comments.

First off relieved to see Keith looking well and firing on all 4 cylinders as far as his playing is concerned, a good start for him, and Ronnie and Mick doing what they do and doing it well.

Don't really understand the criticism, it's still the Stones delivering the goods, and at the age they are now that is phenomenal, it really is, what do people expect, of course Keith can't be what he was in the 70s 80's 90s etc he was like no man on earth, no one came close, he's 78 this year, it's impossible for him to be that Keith.

As for Steve Jordan, ok he wasn't Charlie and it altered the sound slightly but not where it counts, the Stones are still worthy to call themselves the Stones, just watch Keith hammer out Jumping Jack Flash on those clips, it's The Stones and Steve does a great job of doing an impossible job.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home