Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 28
Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:23

Not sure what to make of Keith's choice of headwear...

Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:23

It's astounding how some fans will do anything to convince themselves that this is still the Rolling Stones, without Charlie.

It's not. As one of the YouTube commenters wrote:

nope,....he cant do it, he cant make that weird pulse.
its asking alot, hes a great drummer, but making that rolling stones moving syncopation
where the bass drums ahead of the beat and the snares behide the beat
he cant do it, they arent going to find anyone who can do it
its over, they're done, they sound like an ordinary band now

Drew

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:26

'They're a bag of nerves, on first night....'

Posted by: gavin95 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:26

crawdaddy
Great review Hendrik, and so glad you and Matt got in there to see the show, and I for one am looking forward to following the gig on Sunday on IORR.
I hope there was another huge Stones fan who made it as well.
Very positive comments about the band and the performance, and nothing less than I expected from The Rolling Stones.

Hopefully all the people on this thread that didn't think much of it, and just judging it from short snippets, will not bother with the rest of the Tour.

They won't be missed.

I for one will try to follow all the gigs on IORR, in the early hours from SW London.

Bring it on Mick, Keith,Ronnie, Steve............and our dear Charlie, watching it all with great interest from above. smileys with beer

well said, you summarized how I feel as well!!

I'm so excited to be in the Pit for the first time on this tour smileys with beer

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:28

Topi
Irix
The Rolling Stones played their first concert without Charlie Watts - [UltimateClassicRock.com] .

Ultimate Classic Rock almost got that right! winking smiley (Charlie missed a show in 1964)

What show did Charlie miss in 1964?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:32

Steve is different. Hope they use his abilities to end on their own terms now.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:33

The stage seems strangely empty.

There wasn't much atmosphere there. A wooden audience.

Bigger venues with real fans will create more atmosphere and fire them up a bit more.

Mick doesn't seem to be into his dancing much.

Not being negative - just observations.

Never could have been a 'normal' night.

Difficult, but necessary.

WorriedAboutYou
DandelionPowderman

Out of curiosity, what made Keith 'tragic'?

He looks completely lost and out of it. Hardly able to play the guitar, very nervous, tentative and almost paralysed at some points. The guitar is a real struggle for him now. I felt sorry for him.

Funny. I've seen Keith like that, but not on the clips from last night. On the contrary, his playing sounding fine to me (intro on Troubles A Coming, JJF, 19th Nervous Breakdown). Which parts are you referring to - the little glitch in Satisfaction?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 23:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Irix ()

StonesBlake

What show did Charlie miss in 1964?

March 15, 1964 in Chatham - [iorr.org] .

Date: September 21, 2021 23:40

JumpingKentFlash
Steve is different. Hope they use his abilities to end on their own terms now.

yes, I do hope so. Next year, with some shows in Europe and that final album. That would be great way to go out.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:41

Date: September 21, 2021 23:47

jumpingjackflash5
TheflyingDutchman
Time for Jagger, Richards and Wood to go solo, imo.

Well, good path would be doing these US shows, then some shows in Europe next year to celebrate the 60th anniversary, release last album with Charlie's tracks and then quit as the Rolling Stones. That would probably please the majority of fans and preserve their great legacy.

It's more a sentimental than a musical statement. winking smiley

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:47

On a completely trivial point - I like Keith’s get up - glad to get away from the terrible blue jacket era - much more appropriate aged rock star vibe. He can only do what his hands will let him and I for one will watch from afar and cheer him on until he’s ready to throw in the towel

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:49

stargroover
Nice tribute by Mick.Can feel the love.
Yet it would be more sincere if said in front of genuine fans,and not a set of jet set clowns who probably know little of the Stones and their legacy.A missed opportunity.Would have been so easy to have had a club show for the genuine fans and dedicated this to Charlie.
Are you arguing that if you are rich, you can't be an RS fan? Are real fans poor?

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:01

Those 2 sec of Start Me Up sounds so different from how Charlie played it live.
The Stones sound was so unpredictable and interesting with Keith + Charlie, you never knew what to expect. Just hope things won't get stale with too many "professional" schooled musicians in the band.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:06

Hendrik, thank you for the close-up, in-depth, in-person view of the show!

Were you able to take some photos?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:09

Testify
stargroover
Yet it would be more sincere if said in front of genuine fans,and not a set of jet set clowns who probably know little of the Stones and their legacy.A missed opportunity.Would have been so easy to have had a club show for the genuine fans and dedicated this to Charlie.
Are you arguing that if you are rich, you can't be an RS fan? Are real fans poor?

YES. You are poor from buying all the music, concerts and merchandise. Pony up buddy!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:12

Testify
stargroover

I’d say the average attendee of a Rolling Stones concert in 2021 is reasonably comfortably well-off. Not necessarily rich at all, but they have a somewhat disposable income. There’s no way I could comfortably afford to see them anymore; I know that much. During my most obsessive years, I was living with mum and dad: no rent, no worries. It all changes for some.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:12

No point in over-analysing what's left of a band that are close to 80, just enjoy it for what it is. Personally I'm gutted I will never get the chance to see them again, it's not viable to travel out of my country (NZ). I'm glad I got to see them with Charlie twice.

I will say however these private shows for billionaires are kinda seedy and gross, the band has so much money themselves, I don't buy the line about how it pays for rehearsals. The rehearsal cost is a drop in the bucket for any of the band members, let alone the brand that is the Rolling Stones.

Date: September 22, 2021 00:22

Perhaps We are projecting our own perspective about what this band should be. As if we owned the canonical definition.

Stones are bigger than that. And the band is bigger than its members.

They might be the only band who has reached the absolute level. The right to do anything. The right to do anytime what they want. Whether we like it or not.

I may think that no Bill and no Charlie mean/equals NO stones sound. So what...
The could play polka on stage. It is Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and Ron Wood on stage....and the only ones able to play an inmense repertoire. "we do not care if some of you don´t follow us..." they may think.

(and by the way...they already know that no Bill and no Charlie means no stones sound anymore...)

And thank you to all the people bringing information.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 00:27 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:26

Thank you Hendrik for the report! thumbs up

Thank you to everyone that has shared info on last nights performance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 00:28 by 1cdog.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:29

emotionalbarbecue
Perhaps We are projecting our own perspective about what this band should be. As if we owned the canonical definition.

Stones are bigger than that. And the band is bigger than its members.

They might be the only band who has reached the absolute level. The right to do anything. The right to do anytime what they want. Whether we like it or not.

I may think that no Bill and no Charlie mean/equals NO stones sound. So what...
The could play polka on stage. It is Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and Ron Wood on stage....and the only ones able to play an inmense repertoire. "we do not care if some of you don´t follow us..." they may think.

(and by the way...they already know that no Bill and no Charlie means no stones sound anymore...)

This sounds about right.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:29

Yes many thanks Hendrik .....
good ta read an inside report .....

Stay safe

ROCKMAN

Date: September 22, 2021 00:30

Charlie may not be with them in body but he is certainly with them in mind!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:35

Date: September 22, 2021 00:47

Nice one Hendrik, good to see the two of you in those pictures up front by the stage......where else?!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:53

They look great! Thanks for the photos and the reports (couldn't wait)

Congratulations to them for getting this tour off the ground.
Given all the circumstances an amazing feat in itself.

Very touching to watch their emotional and heartfelt tribute.
All of them leaning on each other both emotionally and physically.

Can't wait to have more fans on hand so they can feel the same energy from us.
They are healing from this loss the best way they can.. honoring Charlie and playing through it. Together. Very touching.

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 00:54 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:54

Testify , “no” and “no”

I have seen the band over 100 times,all over Europe,US,South America,Australia,Cuba etc I don’t consider myself rich

Treacle Fingers I still spent plenty at the Bill Wyman auction

I just don’t bleat on about it like some folk. So saddle up and stroll off mate.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:57

Irix
Commemoration of Charlie - 20-Sep-2021, Foxborough, Gillette Stadium (Dinner and Private Show by Robert Kraft):

[Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com] - drinking smiley

Hard to take.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: September 22, 2021 01:01

I can understand that people don’t like to see The Rolling Stones perform for a scumbag like RK, but the reality is that the band offers private performances to anyone willing to pay the price and he chooses to pay the price.

The American Trucking Association paid the Stones to perform a number of years ago too. When I worked for an association, I pitched them too, but they were way out of our budget. But over the years I got to see private concerts featuring ZZ Top, Chicago.

I guess my point is, private concerts are part of their business model and there’s nothing wrong with that unless they’re playing for dictators or some other people who are more terrible than a billionaire who likes happy endings when he gets a massage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 01:07 by CamRS.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home