Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 28
Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:11

Thank you Hendrikthumbs up

Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:11

Commemoration of Charlie - 20-Sep-2021, Foxborough, Gillette Stadium (Dinner and Private Show by Robert Kraft):

[Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com] - drinking smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:12

Stoneage
There is no other option than to accept what we got - Rolling Stones x 0.6. The other alternative would be no Rolling Stones at all.

No Rolling Stones at all is an option that quite a lot of people appear to prefer (and they are perfectly entitled to feel that way). However, the Stones have never chosen the tidy ending, with their career neatly wrapped up at the perfect moment to preserve their legacy. They have always chosen to survive, and to carry on with the messy business of living.

Date: September 21, 2021 22:16

Green Lady
Stoneage
There is no other option than to accept what we got - Rolling Stones x 0.6. The other alternative would be no Rolling Stones at all.

No Rolling Stones at all is an option that quite a lot of people appear to prefer (and they are perfectly entitled to feel that way). However, the Stones have never chosen the tidy ending, with their career neatly wrapped up at the perfect moment to preserve their legacy. They have always chosen to survive, and to carry on with the messy business of living.

BUt time is winding down now. Hope they can manage it gracefully.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:17

Hendrik
What a historical and emotional night it was in a tent at the Gillette Stadium on September 20.
We entered the venue at 20.30, had to give our names and proof of full vaccination and found our way to the tent.
The very first Stones gig since 2019, the first show of their 2021 tour and, unfortunately, the very first show without Charlie Watts.

Robert Kraft came on stage at 21.00 and did a short introduction speech about the stones playing in Gillette for the first time in 2002 and that this was for his recent big birthday adding that every Birthday is a blessing and he wanted everyone attending to embrace life and enjoy the moment with the greatest rock and roll band in the world.
2 minutes later the Stones were on; we expected a very standard short setlist with only the well known songs but what a surprise it was: Let’s Spend The Night Together as opener!
Mick was looking great and powerful as always, Keith with a black beanie on his head, Ronnie’s hair re-growing strongly after his treatment this year and Steve, with sunglasses, smiling all the time.
After Tumbling Dice there it was, Charlie being honoured: Mick, Keith and Ronnie, huddled together arms around each others shoulders, obviously touched. Mick mentioned that it was their first tour in 59 years without Charlie Watts. That they miss Charlie so much, miss him as a band, miss him as friends, many memories and he was sure that he will be missed by everyone who ever attended a concert and he would like to dedicate this show to Charlie. Ronnie added: "Charlie we’re praying and playing for you”
After these emotional words we got another unexpected song: Under My thumb.
It was with this song that I paid a bit more attention to Steve: his drumming was, as expected, more firm and robust, but absolutely not too loud and certainly not as dominant as he was with the Winos.
After this it was time for “ A song we never performed before on stage, only at home and recorded ages ago and will be on the rerelease of the tattoo You Album. An obscure cover called Trouble’s A Coming”
This song circulated in trading circles for a couple of months but it’s a safe bet to say that no one in the audience ever heard this one before! The yet unreleased outtake version has a nice falsetto but Jagger didn’t do that tonight. Makes me wonder how the version on the rerelease of Tattoo You will be…..
Next was the premiere of Ghost Town, which worked out really well with great harmonica and good audience participation.
Then Mick said happy birthday to Robert Kraft and said that Its so nice to play for someone even older than we are”
After You Can’t Always Get What You Want we got Midnight Rambler; really miss Charlie on this song.
The band introduction was very interesting too. Steve Jordan was introduced as "a great friend of Charlie and the first show with us, Steve Jordan” Steve, being very humble, stayed at his drum kit.
Another highlight of the show was the 'saxophone weaving' between Tim Ries and Karl Denson on Miss You, stunning!
19th Nervous Breakdown is a keeper and then we got the usual warhorses like Start Me Up, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, Jumpin’ Jack Flash and as ecore, Satisfaction. Interesting detail: Street Fighting Man was mentioned on the setlist but wasn’t played. Quite surprisingly Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women weren’t played, which you would expect in a private show..
Time for the bow: first with the entire band, then Keith all but disappeared and I got the impression he needed a little encouragement to come back out to bow as just a three without Charlie.
We had an amazing night; my advice: I feel the best way to honour Charlie is go out en see ‘em!

Hendrik Mulder

I never quote long messages but this one "deserves it", thanks a bunch for the first hand report.

Looks like you had a pretty good spot too, Ronnie's side [twitter.com] ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 22:18 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:23

schillid

Mick Jagger

"This is the first show of our 2021 tour. So this it… This a try-out .. for us.
I must say though, it’s a bit of a poigniant night for us. This is the first tour in fifty-nine years that we’ve done without our lovely Charlie Watts. And we all miss Charlie so much. We miss him as a band. We miss him as a friend. On and off the stage and we’ve got so many memories of Charlie and I’m sure some of you that have seen us before have got memories of Charlie as well.
And I hope you will remember him like we do. So we’d like to dedicate this show to Charlie.
So let’s have a drink! To Charlie!"

Mick Jagger
Boston, Sept. 20, 2021

I think the tribute referenced above is fitting.

Though I didn't really care for Ronnie saying they are praying and playing for Charlie.

I believe these shows are more about the band continuing on as an entity and I believe they are playing for themselves because it's what they love to do and they aren't prepared to stop doing it.

To say they are doing it "for Charlie" is a little disingenuous to me.

Another tribute that I really liked was when Springsteen lost Clarence Clemons and went on first tour without him, Bruce did roll call for the E Street Band before asking the crowd if he was missing anyone.

Bruce ends up saying at the end that "if you're here, and we're here, then they're here" and that's probably true imo, in terms of the spirit of ex band members living on through the band's performances (stopping short of claiming to be playing shows for them smiling smiley).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 22:24 by Dougratajczak87.

Date: September 21, 2021 22:25

The majority of reactions under the youtube video speaks fot itself.

[www.youtube.com]

And no, it is not bad and it might improve a bit. But the difference is apparent.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()

Topi
Tough crowd over here.

No doubt. I'm happy to see them playing together again, I'm sure that'll help them grieve better and celebrate Charlie better than anything.

Posted by: mosthigh ()

Stones And Company

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:26

Nice tribute by Mick.Can feel the love.
Yet it would be more sincere if said in front of genuine fans,and not a set of jet set clowns who probably know little of the Stones and their legacy.A missed opportunity.Would have been so easy to have had a club show for the genuine fans and dedicated this to Charlie.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:26

Touching as well as enjoyable. Keep on rocking please.
Do not stop this miracle

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:40

Watching the clips, they are objectively awful, the entire band are completely lost and phoning it in. KR is an especially tragic figure now. Jagger's voice and mannerisms ridiculous. Wood just a clown. Who even cares about the rest of the "band" up there. What a joke.

Date: September 21, 2021 22:43

WorriedAboutYou
Watching the clips, they are objectively awful, the entire band are completely lost and phoning it in. KR is an especially tragic figure now. Jagger's voice and mannerisms ridiculous. Wood just a clown. Who even cares about the rest of the "band" up there. What a joke.

No, the playing is tight and very good, but different to what we have gotten used to. As far as I do not share the "blind optimism from just seeing them playing live again", there should not be this kind of unsubstantiated bashing here.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:43

“What we going to do now? Now I’m a little emotional” sad smiley

It was pretty clear to me that Mick was feeling touched by the reality of not having Charlie by their side. Lovely words and sentiment, nothing too weepy, but sincere. If they hadn’t mentioned Charlie last night, I’m sure some would have criticized that decision. I bet they do a similar mention in St. Louis.

Date: September 21, 2021 22:44

WorriedAboutYou

Please join [coldplaying.com]

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:46

PaintMonkeyManBlack
WorriedAboutYou

Please join [coldplaying.com]

???

Like a second-rate Gallagher brother comment

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:47

And the Stones keep rolling.....

Glad they did this before the tour started.
Always a little rusty at the start of a tour.
It usually takes them at least 3 shows into the tour before they hit their groove.

I cant imagine how emotional it must have been for the core 3 to take the stage before the first song and then bowing and walking off at the end without Charlie.
I get choked up just thinking about it.

Date: September 21, 2021 22:51

They do appear lack lustre.It appears they are going through the motions.Feels like they had the stuffing knocked out of them.Still think individually they have a lot to offer.Keith I believe can still write and knock out an outstanding solo record.Ronnie can still rock live,at least he did with his last solo performance.And Mick with Dave Grohl and even with his brother still rocks.
But as a live band they look lost now.Might be time for Mick Talyor to step back in and relight the fire.If not live in the recording studio.
And of course let’s hope we get Charlie on the final album

Date: September 21, 2021 22:54

I like the band when they play awful. It gives me an incentive to see them again and again until they get the groove on.

The first show in two years......awful or not I am glad I am going to the shows this tour and glad to see they are performing again.

Perhaps a Barney movie would be better for you to watch.

WorriedAboutYou

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:54

After that video clip with the Charlie tribute, come tell me again they don't care; that it's just business as usual just like nothing happened...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:55

jumpingjackflash5
WorriedAboutYou

No, the playing is tight and very good, but different to what we have gotten used to. As far as I do not share the "blind optimism from just seeing them playing live again", there should not be this kind of unsubstantiated bashing here.

Only Keith, Mick and Ronnie - without Charlie the difference is startling - visually and audibly....more so than I would have imagined, but it's not all because of the heavy handed Steve Jordan.
It's been more than two years since their last shows, and at their age the difference is quite evident although clearly this was a warmup/rehearsal show and there's first night jitters ...especially without Charlie.
Maybe when/if they shake off the cobwebs things will fall somewhat back in to place, as much as they can anyways. No matter what, it will never be the same and 2019 was sort of the "last hurrah" imo..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 22:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:57

Everything they do, live and studio, is over analyzed, snd over criticyzed in this forum

Date: September 21, 2021 22:58

WorriedAboutYou

Out of curiosity, what made Keith 'tragic'?

And how do they 'phone in' these performances - I thought everybody said they were sounding different, more polished and tighter?

Stones fans are a tough crowd. Wow.

Date: September 21, 2021 22:59

It’s a democracy here

Date: September 21, 2021 23:05

Time for Jagger, Richards and Wood to go solo, imo.

Posted by: gavin95 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:12

saw a few clips, I'm very excited for the tour and think it's really nice they're doing some songs from the Tattoo you deluxe!!

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:13

DandelionPowderman

Out of curiosity, what made Keith 'tragic'?

He looks completely lost and out of it. Hardly able to play the guitar, very nervous, tentative and almost paralysed at some points. The guitar is a real struggle for him now. I felt sorry for him.

TheflyingDutchman
Time for Jagger, Richards and Wood to go solo, imo.

Well, good path would be doing these US shows, then some shows in Europe next year to celebrate the 60th anniversary, release last album with Charlie's tracks and then quit as the Rolling Stones. That would probably please the majority of fans and preserve their great legacy.

Posted by: Topi ()

KeithNacho
Everything they do, live and studio, is over analyzed, snd over criticyzed in this forum

Very true. winking smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 21, 2021 23:21

Great review Hendrik, and so glad you and Matt got in there to see the show, and I for one am looking forward to following the gig on Sunday on IORR.
I hope there was another huge Stones fan who made it as well.
Very positive comments about the band and the performance, and nothing less than I expected from The Rolling Stones.

Hopefully all the people on this thread that didn't think much of it, and just judging it from short snippets, will not bother with the rest of the Tour.

They won't be missed.

I for one will try to follow all the gigs on IORR, in the early hours from SW London.

Bring it on Mick, Keith,Ronnie, Steve............and our dear Charlie, watching it all with great interest from above. smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home