Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 28
Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:56

Ram
I’ll echo the same thing I tell people at Dead and Co shows who complain about John Mayer not being Jerry. Of course John’s not Jerry and Steve isn’t our wonderful Charlie. But be happy there are still shows to see. Go and be happy or stay home and be miserable. Easy as that.

AMEN! It’s also not fair to judge the band on their first show back in months and months, with a new drummer, playing for a corporate crowd, from some grainy cell phone footage. It’s truly remarkable that they’re still out there performing, give them a break.

Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:01

Even though it’s poor cell phone quality, I like what I heard and am looking forward to the tour.

Do I prefer Charlie? Yes, of course. Would I go to see the Stones knowing they would be without Charlie? No, but I bought my ticket before he bowed out, so I really don’t have a choice now, unless I want to sell my ticket for below asking price, which I’m not willing to do.

So, I’m going go out there, enjoy the last Rolling Stones show I’ll ever see, be happy that I at least get to say “goodbye” to Mick, Keith and Ronnie, and let others give themselves ulcers over the Stones continuing on without Charlie.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:12

Steve Jordan or not Steve Jordan - The Rolling Stones have been a cover band for a long time now. They just dont care any more and take the easy way out these days.It is what it is. A living, breathing band constantly plays around with lots of diffenent songs and ideas - Stones don´t. It´s great fun for two hours - nothing more, nothing less. And I do like Steve Jordan and his drums.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:12

Satisfaction has maybe always sucked live since maybe 1966. Works as the last song of the encore, as a cue to leave before it's over.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:17

StonedAsiaExile
Marhsall
Anybody got a guess @ what those 15 songs cost Mr. Kraft?

At least 5 million. Nice to have that kind of change lying around and can get the World's Greatest band to play for ya

smileys with beer

Like my friend likes to say, "Life is short". And at Robert Kraft's advanced age... You go do the math. BTW the story of how Robert Kraft got ownership of The NE Patriots and Gillette stadium is quite a story. I lived in NE back then, and the Boston Globe reported on this for years. Kraft got both from the Sullivan family. The Sullivans kinda pooped out, so they sold off both very gradually. This story was more interesting than what the Patriots were doing on the field in the 1980s-1990s.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:20

The Rolling Stones 2021:

Screenshot from the Video of the RS-App - [www.YouTube.com] .

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:24

Keith sounds strong and looks like he has left the hair dye at home!!!

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:25

Most of you are arm chair qbs who complain day after day I don't know how you can be so negative everyday get out of your houses and enjoy something. Thank-you Stones for continuing on excited and pumped to see you Live again.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:29

I am so sick of the whining about Steve Jordan not being worthy. The guy filled in for Charlie in the studio with at least the Dirty Work album. Others filled in for Charlie in the studio on IORR, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Tumbling Dice, and several other songs - many they play regularly live - ever Charlie trying to emulate Kenny Jones or Jimmy Miller. Not sure about any of you, but those songs are still the Stones, despite Charlie not being on them. Jordan has a songwriting credit with the Stones (and we all know Mick and Keith are stingy with giving anyone credit, see Mick Taylor or Billy Preston). Charlie admired and picked him. Keith chose him to drum for his solo band.

The band has been around 50+ years but was still the Stones when others started playing piano instead of Stew, or Brian melted down and was booted, or Taylor decided to leave and go from doing heroin with Keith to doing even more with Jack Bruce, or Bill decided it was embarrassing to be playing with the Stones and went for the much cooler activity of walking around with a metal detector, or Bobby died. The band has been morphing for decades. Quit whining and celebrate them being survivors who have adapted their lineup and sound MANY times.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:31

buffalo7478
I am so sick of the whining about Steve Jordan not being worthy. The guy filled in for Charlie in the studio with at least the Dirty Work album. Others filled in for Charlie in the studio on IORR, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Tumbling Dice, and several other songs - many they play regularly live - ever Charlie trying to emulate Kenny Jones or Jimmy Miller. Not sure about any of you, but those songs are still the Stones, despite Charlie not being on them. Jordan has a songwriting credit with the Stones (and we all know Mick and Keith are stingy with giving anyone credit, see Mick Taylor or Billy Preston). Charlie admired and picked him. Keith chose him to drum for his solo band.

The band has been around 50+ years but was still the Stones when others started playing piano instead of Stew, or Brian melted down and was booted, or Taylor decided to leave and go from doing heroin with Keith to doing even more with Jack Bruce, or Bill decided it was embarrassing to be playing with the Stones and went for the much cooler activity of walking around with a metal detector, or Bobby died. The band has been morphing for decades. Quit whining and celebrate them being survivors who have adapted their lineup and sound MANY times.

smileys with beer

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:42

I don't see a change except for Charlie ofcourse.. our boys came through the lockdown very well.. Ronnie especially had a hard time with his illness.. I thought covid19 would finally mean the end of the Rolling Stones but the Stones are rolling on!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:43

Why get all worked up about the whining that isn't happening? That's a pre-emptive stance. The only thing I'll whine about is what a disgraceful petty sort of gig this was.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:44

Steve drums like a laser. It cuts through everything it touches.
Charlie drummed like a cushion. It supported everything that leaned on it.

Date: September 21, 2021 19:48

paulspendel
Steve drums like a laser. It cuts through everything it touches.
Charlie drummed like a cushion. It supported everything that leaned on it.
thumbs up

Good characteristics.
But maybe Steve will learn to make some cushions, too.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:49

Nikkei
Why get all worked up about the whining that isn't happening? That's a pre-emptive stance. The only thing I'll whine about is what a disgraceful petty sort of gig this was.
$ was good though

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:58

orginal troubles a coming:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:59

jumpingjackflash5
johnypar
padre69
Thank you for the clips! I've been waiting to hear how the band sounded.
The playing sounds tight, tempos are all right and Steve is solid. But it doesn't sound like The Rolling Stones. It's Mick and a band playing The Stones.
It's not bad by any means, it just doesn't sound like The Rolling Stones to my ears.
Exactlymy feelings as well. It's like winos feat. Mick playing the Stones. I am not saying that is bad, but very different.

I agree thumbs up maybe it will get a bit closer to the Rolling Stones sound during the autumn.

The thought of any subtlety from Jordan and filling Charlies shoes appropriately was wishful thinking.
Instead it's a bit heavy handed (as expected) and a bit obtrusive, but as the saying goes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks...
Can't imagine it will change much or get closer to the classic Stones sound - in fact that's impossible - but it is what it is, and the show will go on...

Date: September 21, 2021 20:02

Hairball
jumpingjackflash5
johnypar
padre69
The playing sounds tight, tempos are all right and Steve is solid. But it doesn't sound like The Rolling Stones. It's Mick and a band playing The Stones.
It's not bad by any means, it just doesn't sound like The Rolling Stones to my ears.
Exactlymy feelings as well. It's like winos feat. Mick playing the Stones. I am not saying that is bad, but very different.

I agree thumbs up maybe it will get a bit closer to the Rolling Stones sound during the autumn.

The thought of any subtlety from Jordan and filling Charlies shoes appropriately was wishful thinking.
Instead it's a bit heavy handed (as expected) and a bit obtrusive, but as the saying goes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks...
Can't imagine it will change much or get closer to the classic Stones sound - in fact that's impossible - but it is what it is, and the show will go on...

yes even this way it can happen

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:03

The Rolling Stones perform live for first time since drummer Charlie Watts' death in private gig for billionaire Patriots owner Robert Kraft ahead of 13-date US tour

By William Cole
21 September 2021

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:05

bye bye johnny
The Rolling Stones perform live for first time since drummer Charlie Watts' death in private gig for billionaire Patriots owner Robert Kraft ahead of 13-date US tour

By William Cole
21 September 2021

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

and it really makes for a terrible headline

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:07

There is no other option than to accept what we got - Rolling Stones x 0.6. The other alternative would be no Rolling Stones at all.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:16

Keith looked locked in and is sounding good, which is the main thing I really care about at this point. He’s engaged with Steve and Darryl during that JJF clip, and this gives me high hopes for the tour and to seeing them again on the 14th in L.A. It’s also great to see Ronnie back on his feet looking active, and Mick sounds good and is obviously energized to be on stage again.

Thanks for confirming the setlist BV, and all of the performance clips everyone.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:26

Hairball
jumpingjackflash5
johnypar
padre69

Yes, in conversation with a friend, I compared Charlie's drum style to a dancer that glides across the floor, where as Steve Jordan walks like an elephant as the phrase goes.

Really takes the band from being guitar driven to the guitars trying to cut through the drumming.

Wasn't for me personally though I'm sure many will still enjoy.

To me Charlie and other drummers serve the song and keep the band moving along, whereas Steve and other drummers tend to be the driving force i.e. Dave Grohl rather than seeking to blend into the background.

Nothing wrong with either approach, just hard to retrain the ears to a different style imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 20:27 by Dougratajczak87.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:28

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:32

Remember folks - lamenting the death of Charlie Watts, drummer of the Rolling Stones 1963-2021, now replaced by a session musician almost 60 years into the band’s career, and voicing your opinion that this is not the same band = whinging and moaning.

Mick, Keith and Ronnie could bow out, have their spot filled with session musicians and continue under ‘The Rolling Stones’ and the fanbase would continue these mental gymnastics.

Everyone’s voice deserves to be heard as much as yours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 20:32 by Bastion.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:34

Dougratajczak87
Hairball
jumpingjackflash5
johnypar
padre69

Yes, in conversation with a friend, I compared Charlie's drum style to a dancer that glides across the floor, where as Steve Jordan walks like an elephant as the phrase goes.

Really takes the band from being guitar driven to the guitars trying to cut through the drumming.

To me Charlie and other drummers serve the song and keep the band moving along, whereas Steve and other drummers tend to be the driving force i.e. Dave Grohl rather than seeking to blend into the background.

Nothing wrong with either approach, just hard to retrain the ears to a different style imo.

Charlie was Charlie; there is no replacing him.

But it’s not the case that Charlie was laid-back, less-is-more, unflashy, as all the encomiums and obits had it.

Charlie was assertive and, in his inimitable way, quite busy.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:38

Great as always!

Date: September 21, 2021 20:38

Bastion
Remember folks - lamenting the death of Charlie Watts, drummer of the Rolling Stones 1963-2021, now replaced by a session musician almost 60 years into the band’s career, and voicing your opinion that this is not the same band = whinging and moaning.

Mick, Keith and Ronnie could bow out, have their spot filled with session musicians and continue under ‘The Rolling Stones’ and the fanbase would continue these mental gymnastics.

Everyone’s voice deserves to be heard as much as yours.

For sure not. People - fans who have followed and listened to the Stones for a long time surely dare say something adequate and reasonable about sound they hear.

Yes the Stones are free to do anything. Everything we get has been a bonus for some years since.

But still, this new arrangement sounds differently, Steve Jordan is not a cushion for quitars and vocals as Charlie was. That does not mean the sound is wrong. It's harder and tougher, and driven by drums, not guitsrs. If the guitars and vocal will take more lead in the future, I would like it more, but even this I can listen to well.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2021 20:40

Bastion

Like Pink Floyd - where Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason now each have their own band and play PF-Tracks?

Date: September 21, 2021 20:41

MelBelli
Dougratajczak87
Hairball
jumpingjackflash5
johnypar
padre69

Charlie was Charlie; there is no replacing him.

But it’s not the case that Charlie was laid-back, less-is-more, unflashy, as all the encomiums and obits had it.

Charlie was assertive and, in his inimitable way, quite busy.

Of course! Even Charlie hit the drums hard when is was needed. But he had much more dynamics than Steve Jordan, who plays like a machine.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home