Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28
Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:07

stargroover
The world does go on,but if the quality is no longer there why continue with a sub standard product?Oh I forgot ££££

Go tell that to Gene Simmons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 17:12 by Topi.

Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:08

Topi
Chevysales, 5mil only gets you so much winking smiley

LOL I see that smiling smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:10

The Rolling Stones played their first concert without Charlie Watts - [UltimateClassicRock.com] .

Date: September 21, 2021 17:13

Good ol' "Stanley" Jordan...

Date: September 21, 2021 17:13

Irix
The Rolling Stones played their first concert without Charlie Watts - [UltimateClassicRock.com] .

Ultimate Classic Rock almost got that right! winking smiley (Charlie missed a show in 1964)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 17:14 by Topi.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:15

DandelionPowderman

eye rolling smiley They did manage to get his name right further down the article.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:15

Rolling Stones perform at private party hosted by Robert Kraft at Gillette Stadium

Mark Shanahan
September 21, 2021

Performing for an audience for the first time since drummer Charlie Watts died, the Rolling Stones played at a private party hosted by Patriots owner Robert Kraft at Gillette Stadium Monday.

The veteran rockers, who kick off a US tour Sunday in St. Louis, played some of their best-known songs for an invite-only crowd of about 300 people. The band’s 15-song set opened with “Let’s Spend the Night Together” and also included “Tumbling Dice,” “Under My Thumb,” “Gimme Shelter,” “Start Me Up,” “Miss You,” “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” and two encores, “Street Fighting Man,” and “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.”

Watts died Aug. 24 at a London hospital, and his bandmates got emotional Monday talking about their missing partner and friend. Singer Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards said the evening’s performance, and the upcoming tour, are dedicated to Watts, who was recovering from an unspecified surgical procedure when he died unexpectedly. He was 80.

“We have been touring with Charlie for 59 years and we miss our great friend and bandmate,” said Jagger.

The guest list Monday included a few familiar faces and a handful of high-rollers. Governor Charlie Baker and his wife Lauren were there — and, we’re told, had to be reminded that videos were strictly prohibited — as was J. Geils Band singer Peter Wolf, Moderna co-founder Noubar Afeyan, UFC boss Dana White, Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck and his wife, Cincoro Tequila CEO Emilia Fazzalari, Fanatics CEO and Philadelphia 76ers co-owner Michael Rubin, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute CEO Laurie Glimcher, Providence Capital’s Jonathan Nelson, Big Night Entertainment’s Ed Kane, Celtics co-owner Steve Pagliuca, and David Abrams of Abrams Capital.

The party was held in a tent-like structure set up on the stadium field. The vaccination status of guests is unknown, but we’re told only a few attendees wore a mask.

The Rolling Stones have been in Boston since early August to rehearse for their tour, and, due to the pandemic and the need to quarantine, did not return to the UK after Watts died. The band kept a low profile while in town, drawing little notice even as they plugged in and played at Red Sky Studios, where, we’re told, they regularly rehearsed. (Steve Jordan, who played in Richards’s X-Pensive Winos band, is playing drums on this tour.)

This isn’t the first time Kraft has hosted a private party at Gillette Stadium and hired the World’s Greatest Rock ‘n Roll Band to perform. He did it in 2016 as well.

The Boston Globe on MSN
[www.msn.com]

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:16

DoomandGloom
I am surprised at how different they sound with SJ. I had assumed he'd play the songs in the style of the records. I don't know what this is, sounds like a nervous guy imitating a drum machine. No dynamics, just kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare, fill.. He'll get better but Jordan is not a great drummer, I worked on sessions with him for years, TV star, nice fun guy but there's better guys for this..

yes, they fired carlo little for a reason. keith said he couldn't hit the drums without putting his fist through it. keith hated him. if they were going to replace charlie (dumb, unworkable idea) steve gadd or jim keltner would be the choice. they sit in the pocket. this is distracting. and if you are one of the whiny "they can do no wrong!" type of fan, you're getting everything you want, so leave it at that.

Posted by: strayRooster ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:21

Thank you anyway. Appreciate..

Date: September 21, 2021 17:23

Stoneage
Watched the short snippets: Hard to tell from the quality of sound and picture; but I think Jordan is a bit toned down compared to his Winos' sound. The snare is a little bit looser.
Which is a good thing. I don't like the drummer to be too dominant. Darryl is Darryl. Jagger's voice is what it was two years ago. Guitars sounding good.

Still he is very dominant compared to 2019 sound.Just hear this [youtu.be] . You can hear guitars much better and overall sound is lighter.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:24

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman

eye rolling smiley They did manage to get his name right further down the article.

Stanley Jordan is a unique guitar player, not sure that makes him qualified to play drums for the Stones. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:45

News for you:

Bjorn
Rambler, Miss you and YCAGWYW again. 21 minutes of music in three songs that we have heard over and over again. Why not seven new three minute songs? Mother´s little helper, Lady Jane, Out of time, Sitting on a fence, If you can´t rock me, Hangfire or Sparks will fly? Anything is better and more interesting. I just don´t get it. It could be so much fun! But hey - 19th NB and Trouble - thumb´s up!!!

thumbs up

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:51

Bittersweet experience to watch this.

I decided in advance not to judge steve playing. LOVED him with The Winos. LOVED him with John Mayer trio. And not going into judging him yet, except having huge heart and balls to try out one of the most impossible jobs out there!

The hardest part was seing him sit in Charlies spot and having it sink in on another level that Charlie won't be back...

And yeah seing a lame crowd nd knowing some "deeply shitty people" got to see this and not fans... that's tough too. And yeah business is business!

I hope the boys enjoyed it up there and it helped their healing of their loss of Charlie.

Oh, and if The United states was actually anywhere close to being a land of the free, I'd book my ticket to see them in a heartbeat ;.)

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:53

I’ll echo the same thing I tell people at Dead and Co shows who complain about John Mayer not being Jerry. Of course John’s not Jerry and Steve isn’t our wonderful Charlie. But be happy there are still shows to see. Go and be happy or stay home and be miserable. Easy as that.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:55

Boston Globe

[www.bostonglobe.com]

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:55

[www.youtube.com]

The Rolling Stones - Trouble's a Coming (Live Debut) - 2021

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:00

Ronnie's hair is still short:

Pictures by samuelian on the RS-App - [Rolling-Stones.DiscipleMedia.com] .

Posted by: TimDog ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:06

Does anyone know if Keith played any guitars that we haven't seen before - or haven't seen in years?

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:09

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

The Rolling Stones - Trouble's a Coming (Live Debut) - 2021

shorter than Sasha's skirt too!!! : (

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:09

ronnie's hair is i meant

Posted by: zgredzik ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:19

I listened to these recordings, it is clear that they are only fragments and that they are of poor stadium quality, recorded with a phone. But Charlie was very gentle with his drums, his playing was much smoother. I have an impression that maybe Steve needs some time to get into it, but he's not a beginner drummer either - it's just his style. The Stones will never sound like they did with Charlie again, but on the other hand these are rolling stones, changes - so natural to every human being.

The Stones have to keep rolling, although this stage for me as a huge fan is over with Charlie's death. Because The Rolling Stones will no longer be what they were. But still, I hope the boys will play for us as long as possible, even if 'Dead Flowers' will never again sound as mellow and subtle as it did before, with Charlie.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:21

What I expected. MY Rolling Stones are gone with Charlie. Don't like this version of the former Rolling Stones. Too polished, too forced, Satisfaction the worst number, just boring. So sad...

As I said sometimes before, no Charlie, no Stones.

Date: September 21, 2021 18:25

zgredzik
I listened to these recordings, it is clear that they are only fragments and that they are of poor stadium quality, recorded with a phone. But Charlie was very gentle with his drums, his playing was much smoother. I have an impression that maybe Steve needs some time to get into it, but he's not a beginner drummer either - it's just his style. The Stones will never sound like they did with Charlie again, but on the other hand these are rolling stones, changes - so natural to every human being.

The Stones have to keep rolling, although this stage for me as a huge fan is over with Charlie's death. Because The Rolling Stones will no longer be what they were. But still, I hope the boys will play for us as long as possible, even if 'Dead Flowers' will never again sound as mellow and subtle as it did before, with Charlie.

Well said. That unique Charlie's ability to play mellow and subtle, and give space to guitar and vocals as needed (but also hit the drums strong when appropriate) is sorely missed.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:30

While I get the business end of this. Makes 100% sense that the boys get a big payday, get a warmup show, the money pays for rehearsal expenses, on and on.

But... there is still something that just doesn't sit well with me and it is just my lowly opinion, two original Stones with basically a traveling "all-star" band playing to 200 ultra millionaires. With Charlie gone it just magnifies this look more for me and that is not a good look.

While I am very happy that the Stones roll on in whatever form, The current and recent band/show just isn't for me. It pains me to write this but it is my truth. I have had no desire to see the shows over the last 10 years and I think the current affairs just brought about a reality that has been staring me in face for many years.

I am super grateful for all the available shows and music pre 2000. This will keep me satisfied for the duration of my life (I plan to around another 40 years!)

I am happy it went well and wish all the fans and the Stones nothing but the best. As a 40+ year fan I owe them a giant thank you for the greatness and power that they have given to rock n roll. Thank you.

Enjoy the shows.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:31

Re: Steve Jordan. At least it’s not John Mayer filling in for Ronnie. ;-).

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:34

Topi
Another trivia question:

When was the last time they didn't play Honky Tonk Women OR Brown Sugar?

There are several shows were only one of them was played, but I guess you'd have to go back quite to bit to find a show where neither one was played.

EDIT: I think I found the answer...see here: [iorr.org]

But the next question, obviously, is: when was the SECOND to last time neither HTW or BS were played? winking smiley

27 of May 1995 at Paradiso they didn’t play Honky Tonk Women nor Brown Sugar.

Date: September 21, 2021 18:45

Good catch, Christiaan! I would have gone as far back as the Stu tribute show in 1986...

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:47

micawber
What I expected. MY Rolling Stones are gone with Charlie. Don't like this version of the former Rolling Stones. Too polished, too forced, Satisfaction the worst number, just boring. So sad...

As I said sometimes before, no Charlie, no Stones.

It’s not “your” Rolling Stones. You don’t have a say. And The Stones Don’t care

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:49

People are judging by cell phone audio. Idiots

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 21, 2021 18:53

Is this a new song they premiered?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home