Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 28
Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:17

Is it just me or does the crowd seem a bit lame?[/quote]

You got to remember who the crowd is - bunch of rich Kraft family and ‘friends’ (business people). Too bad they couldn’t have come up with some way (a contest?) to let some real fans in.
I’m 20 miles away, and sort of kicking myself for not making the drive down, but see them next Thursday in Charlotte- can’t wait.
Thanks to everyone for the reports.

Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:20

DEmerson
Is it just me or does the crowd seem a bit lame?

You got to remember who the crowd is - bunch of rich Kraft family and ‘friends’ (business people). Too bad they couldn’t have come up with some way (a contest?) to let some real fans in.
I’m 20 miles away, and sort of kicking myself for not making the drive down, but see them next Thursday in Charlotte- can’t wait.
Thanks to everyone for the reports.[/quote]

Two of the greatest fans ever attended.

Date: September 21, 2021 16:20

Elmo Lewis
I thought the snippets sounded great! cool smiley

But, damn, the whining has already begun. Enjoy what ya got while ya can.

Ya don't miss your water til your well runs dry. eye rolling smiley

No whining. Just seeing the reality. Jordan hits the drums hard and plays differently than Charlie Watts.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:29

MelBelli
MelBelli
It occurs to me that, when there were no shows for Crosseyed Heart, Steve probably thought he’d never get to play onstage with Keith again. Big smiles from him. Great to see. He’s grooving hard. I dig it.

Sounds like Steve counts off the intro to “Trouble’s Coming” — a departure from Chuck counting off for Charlie.

I noticed that too

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:30

Greatest fans?Do you mean wealthiest and well connected fans.Most genuine diehard fans were priced out of the market years ago.
“You went all the way to Cuba to see the Rolling Stones?
“Yes” I replied.”It was a free concert,and actually worked out cheaper to fly out there then buy a pit ticket in the West”

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:30

padre69
Thank you for the clips! I've been waiting to hear how the band sounded.
The playing sounds tight, tempos are all right and Steve is solid. But it doesn't sound like The Rolling Stones. It's Mick and a band playing The Stones.
It's not bad by any means, it just doesn't sound like The Rolling Stones to my ears.
Exactlymy feelings as well. It's like winos feat. Mick playing the Stones. I am not saying that is bad, but very different.

Date: September 21, 2021 16:32

johnypar
padre69
The playing sounds tight, tempos are all right and Steve is solid. But it doesn't sound like The Rolling Stones. It's Mick and a band playing The Stones.
It's not bad by any means, it just doesn't sound like The Rolling Stones to my ears.
Exactlymy feelings as well. It's like winos feat. Mick playing the Stones. I am not saying that is bad, but very different.

I agree thumbs up maybe it will get a bit closer to the Rolling Stones sound during the autumn.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:35

Miss You sounds great, I dig SJ on Crosseyed Heart where I think he got the right groove. Not so sure about JJ Flash and Satisfaction, it is close to cover band territory on a first listen but I still think Jordan is the right choice.

Date: September 21, 2021 16:36

johnypar
padre69

Hm, while listening to 19th Nervous Breakdown I didn't get that feel at all.

For the first time in decades that tune actually had that 60s feel again, imo.

Posted by: strayRooster ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:36

Anyone knows if the Lucky Dip for Austin are already gone or when they will be on sale? Can't find any info.
Cheers

Date: September 21, 2021 16:37

It’s a bit like a decent restaurant with a shit hot chef.The chef croaks and they try and replace him and keep the same name above the restaurant door.Regulars return to the restaurant and order their regular dish and it just don’t taste right.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:38

DandelionPowderman
johnypar
padre69

I agree. Beautiful swingin’ groove.

Date: September 21, 2021 16:41

DandelionPowderman
johnypar
padre69

If so, then it's Mick and Keith's work, not Jordan's sound.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:41

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
johnypar
padre69

I agree. Beautiful swingin’ groove.

Yes, I agree

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 16:42 by 1962.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:42

60's vibe or not I would prefer to listen to the ragged 19th Nervous Breakdown from Double Door 1997 any day over this.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:43

Is it me or do Ronnie and Keith sound like they're not getting any room to play in their usual free style?
On the one hand, good for them that the band is functioning again.
On the other hand, I get the feeling that this works more like the 87'/88's Mick Jagger solo shows than a Rolling Stones show. Replace the crummy guitars and voila...
But it is of course hard to judge by a few bad audio snippets of the first show.

Date: September 21, 2021 16:44

Sad, sad, sad

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:45

It goes without saying that the sound is different, Charlie and Steve play differently and Steve tends to hit the drums harder, so the volume is higher. But Steve doesn't have to imitate Charlie, he has to be himself and sound like he usually sounds.
I hate that Charlie is no longer with us, but the world goes on.

Date: September 21, 2021 16:47

The world does go on,but if the quality is no longer there why continue with a sub standard product?Oh I forgot ££££

Date: September 21, 2021 16:48

Testify
It goes without saying that the sound is different, Charlie and Steve play differently and Steve tends to hit the drums harder, so the volume is higher. But Steve doesn't have to imitate Charlie, he has to be himself and sound like he usually sounds.
I hate that Charlie is no longer with us, but the world goes on.
thumbs up, but he should try to be more faithful to the actual Stones sound when he's playing with the 3 original members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 16:49 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:49

stargroover
Greatest fans?Do you mean wealthiest and well connected fans.Most genuine diehard fans were priced out of the market years ago.
“You went all the way to Cuba to see the Rolling Stones?
“Yes” I replied.”It was a free concert,and actually worked out cheaper to fly out there then buy a pit ticket in the West”

They still two of the greatest fans ever regardless of their financial and "well connected" situation.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:50

Sounds good to me and more polished than some expected myself included .

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:51

I am surprised at how different they sound with SJ. I had assumed he'd play the songs in the style of the records. I don't know what this is, sounds like a nervous guy imitating a drum machine. No dynamics, just kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare, fill.. He'll get better but Jordan is not a great drummer, I worked on sessions with him for years, TV star, nice fun guy but there's better guys for this..

Date: September 21, 2021 16:53

Saluting you JeppeFlash

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:55

So, Mick must have talked between songs, what did he say?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 21, 2021 16:55

The Stones back in action... You got the moon, the sun, etc. From the base of those snippets - thank you - they seem to be in a good form, like expected, again. They wouldn't do this if that wasn't the case.

Yeah, some nice surprises in the set list. Playing "Trouble's A-Coming" - a cover, really? - is a historical move by the Stones standards. Not only being a first song for ages played before officially released, but the first bonus track ever played live. But is that of a question of timing - EXILE and SOME GIRLS extra tracks were 'old news' by the time they hit the road, and STICKY didn't have any new extras (memory insists that someone claimed that they played some SOME GIRLS extra cuts in those 2011 sessions Keith arranged). They have now rehearsed "Living In The Heart of Love" as well, according to the reports, so who knows if they this time treat the new deluxe edition more seriously in a promotional sense. The new singles at least cohere nicely with the tour.

Would really like to know how "Ghost Town" is working live - it probably isn't the easiest cut to play live, some re-arrangements need to be done, but most likely we will hear that when the proper tour starts.

Also nice to see "19th Nervous Breakdown" having a new entrance. "Under My Thumb" and "Let's Spend The Night Together" are not that rare either, but always nice to see them making the setlist.

'Only' nine war horses played - let's put that due to a short set. Most likely not just "Brown Sugar" and "Honky Tonk" but "Only Rock&Roll" and their most popular song these days, "Paint It Black" will be part of a standard set list.

But about the way they sound.... There is not much to imply from those short clips. The core members Mick, Keith and Ronnie all seem to be in a good shape, and the whole band sounds focused and even surprisingly tight. How much that has to do with Jordan an sich or with the band simply having needed to concentrate more on rehaearsing and how they sound, since having a new member in such a crucial spot, I don't know. Early stages still. Of Jordan himself, yeah, he sounds and looks having a time of his life, and he plays with his own style - hitting so much harder than Charlie did. Still he follows pretty closely Charlie's patterns and style (of course he needs to - otherwise the songs would change too much from the bottom for the rest). I think "Miss You" is a good example of him really playing a tribute Charlie's unique style (watch him doing the classical hi-hat/snare thing). I think he is doing a good and, most importantly, a fitting job with a good taste. But let's say I won't be buying a 'Who the f..k is Charlie Watts?' t-shirt quite yet...

But having The Stones rolling again - even without Charlie and for some rich folks privately - it just feels so good... Blessed are those who will catch the band in an upcoming tour.

- Doxa

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:00

stargroover
The world does go on,but if the quality is no longer there why continue with a sub standard product?Oh I forgot ££££
Isn't the quality there? You're kidding I guess.
Apart from that from an amateur video it is difficult to understand much, however Steve is not one who passed by by chance, he is a great professional who has already worked with Keith (among others) and who was also respected by Charlie.
In my restaurant I can also change chefs and for sure the food will be different, but different does not mean worse.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:04

Watched the short snippets: Hard to tell from the quality of sound and picture; but I think Jordan is a bit toned down compared to his Winos' sound. The snare is a little bit looser.
Which is a good thing. I don't like the drummer to be too dominant. Darryl is Darryl. Jagger's voice is what it was two years ago. Guitars sounding good.

Date: September 21, 2021 17:06

You've got the sun, you've got the moon, and you've got The Stones, not The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:06

strayRooster
Anyone knows if the Lucky Dip for Austin are already gone or when they will be on sale? Can't find any info.
Cheers

A bit off topic, but all sold out.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home