Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 28
Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Date: September 21, 2021 14:41

yeababyyea
jumpingjackflash5
yeababyyea
I guess they sound musically "tighter" than the last few years. But the classic unique Stones sound/groove is not really there. Still sounds great though.

Because the key part of that groove was Charlie's light, jazz-inspired drumming.

Yes it will never be the same without Charlie, luckily we can still go back to old recordings. Everything from now is just a bonus.

Fully agree. Yes, we should know what miracle we had up to 2019 (and airdrums in 2020!), and this is something extra, different, and still very good.

Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: Nikkei ()

Ladies and Gentlemen, the listenable Rock'n'Roll band in the world

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()

Any audio?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2021 14:45

Troubles A’ Comin (snippet) from the RS-App:

[www.YouTube.com] , App-Link.

Miss You from the RS-App:

19th Nervous Breakdown from the RS-App:

Jumpin' Jack Flash from the RS-App:

Satisfaction from the RS-App:

The Stage from the RS-App - App-Link.

Source: [Rolling-Stones.DiscipleMedia.com] - (create an account or use the one from the RS-App).

[Note: if the App-Links don't work with the Browser (e.g. Chrome) then copy the web-address of the link and open it via Network in the VLC-Player]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 17:40 by Irix.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: September 21, 2021 14:49

Thank you for the links everyone, much appreciated.

Date: September 21, 2021 14:52

jumpingjackflash5
yeababyyea
I guess they sound musically "tighter" than the last few years. But the classic unique Stones sound/groove is not really there. Still sounds great though.

Because the key part of that groove was Charlie's light, jazz-inspired drumming.

He wouldn't have played like that on any of the tunes in question here (Satisfaction, JJF, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Miss You, Troubles A Coming) - so let's give Steve a chance. At least wait for a real opportunity of comparison smiling smiley

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: September 21, 2021 14:52

there are a few short clips (one minute) in the official stones app - fan feed.

19th nervous
troubles are coming
jjf
satisfaction

[rolling-stones.disciplemedia.com]

Date: September 21, 2021 14:54

FoolToCry
there are a few short clips (one minute) in the official stones app - fan feed.

19th nervous
troubles are coming
jjf
satisfaction

[rolling-stones.disciplemedia.com]

And Miss You

Date: September 21, 2021 14:56

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
yeababyyea

He wouldn't have played like that on any of the tunes in question here (Satisfaction, JJF, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Miss You, Troubles A Coming) - so let's give Steve a chance. At least wait for a real opportunity of comparison smiling smiley

Even on those songs it can be clearly heard that Jordan's drumming is much heavier, sometimes "machine-like" precision having and using different sounding drum kit.

Date: September 21, 2021 14:56

Charlie played "like that" whenever he touched his hi hat

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 21, 2021 14:57

Irix
19th Nervous Breakdown from the RS-App - Link.

Satisfaction from the RS-App - Link.

The stage - Link.

Source: [Rolling-Stones.DiscipleMedia.com] - (create an account or use the one from the App).

Thanks for this, so nice to finally see them, and Ronnie looking energetic there, fantastic to see him recovered. thumbs up

Date: September 21, 2021 14:59

Nikkei

Of course not. You can't seriously put on Satisfaction on Still Life and really mean that.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 15:05

"19th Nervous Breakdown" is really great

but don't call them "The Rolling Stones" any more

just "The Stones"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 15:34 by 1962.

Date: September 21, 2021 15:07

DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

Of course not. You can't seriously put on Satisfaction on Still Life and really mean that.

You don't seem to realize that by making your argument why it's just as great as ever you always resort to why it actually wasn't so great to begin with? You've done it for years when discussing Keiths playing. That is what is actually chipping away at the legacy, much more than what they can or can't do anymore.

Date: September 21, 2021 15:09

Nikkei

We need not pretend it is the same to enjoy the bonus show we are getting.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 21, 2021 15:11

What app are you opening these .m3u8 files with ? VLC isn't doing it.

Anyway I watched the clips in the App (didn't even know it still existed, I'd bought a subscription back in 2012 !) and they're not bad. Yeah, SJ is hammering things in, no surprise there, I've never seen him not do it...

Also I couldn't see the backup singers, you can hear them though, as it's surely not just Chuck, the last time he was alone doing them it was at the Trabendo and it was a disaster.

And yes, thanks to Mick for letting us know that "Trouble's a Coming" is a cover ! Originally by The Chi-Lites in 1970
video: [www.youtube.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 15:12 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 21, 2021 15:13

From outside, the volume was pretty low and very muddled sounding. If you got too close to the gates, the generators were very loud, so we tried hanging at a higher level. It was difficult to make out the songs. Absolutely none of us even knew it was Trouble's A Coming while it was happening. We were all cracking up how so many big fans couldn't figure out what song it was! Midway thru, we moved back downstairs, away from the generators and could hear a bit better. Halfway thru Miss You, someone opened a door of the tent, and that really helped a lot.

When they first came on, i was really kind of annoyed because all i could hear was Steve's loud, powerful drums, and that's not what you should hear first when listening to the Rolling Stones, certainly not over the guitars IMHO. You could tell he was hitting them really hard. Later (and maybe it was a sound guy adjustment), it was less noticeable, so I hope that is taken into consideration for future concerts. Most of the arrangements seemed to be the same as how they've played them the last few years.

When the show ended, they left immediately, didnt hang around to chat or party with Kraft et al. They drove out with windows up, so we couldn't see who was inside (boo!). I wanted to be there to support them their first time without Charlie, so I'm glad I was there to do that, more for me than for them i'm suresmiling bouncing smiley

Overall it was a fun time hanging with the small crowd of fans, but not as awesome listening as it could have been.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: September 21, 2021 15:14

Yes the level of the drums can be a bit adjusted in future soundboard mixing. Anyway, the reality is that new drummer has got its own style, different from Charlie's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 15:15 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: engerling23 ()
Date: September 21, 2021 15:15

Jordan sounds great!

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: September 21, 2021 15:16

19th Nervous Breakdown (part)
Private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 21, 2021 15:17

Irix

Miss You from the RS-App - Link.

Source: [Rolling-Stones.DiscipleMedia.com] - (create an account or use the one from the App).

Wow. Thanks. They sure sound fantastic!

Date: September 21, 2021 15:19

Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

You don't seem to realize that by making your argument why it's just as great as ever you always resort to why it actually wasn't so great to begin with? You've done it for years when discussing Keiths playing. That is what is actually chipping away at the legacy, much more than what they can or can't do anymore.

You read me wrong (You keep on doing that, btw). I don't know if it's deliberate or not - or a language-thing - or are you joking?

But I haven't said anything of the sort ("as great as ever"). They're back, and I thought they sounded good, based on MY expectations.

None of those claims are even debatable.

Date: September 21, 2021 15:20

schwonek
Irix

Miss You from the RS-App - Link.

Wow. Thanks. They sure sound fantastic!

Yes, they sound very good. But don't mix the excitement from hearing them again with overseeing that the sound is different now.

Date: September 21, 2021 15:21

DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

You read me wrong (You keep on doing that, btw). I don't know if it's deliberate or not - or a language-thing - or are you joking?

But I haven't said anything of the sort ("as great as ever"). They're back, and I thought they sounded good, based on MY expectations.

That's right. They're back, they sound very good, and the sound of the drums is different.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 21, 2021 15:24

[www.youtube.com] Satisfaction.

Date: September 21, 2021 15:25

jumpingjackflash5
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

That's right. They're back, they sound very good, and the sound of the drums is different.

smileys with beer

Date: September 21, 2021 15:27

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

smileys with beer

thumbs up

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: September 21, 2021 15:27

Trouble's coming is a cover according Mick
What does he say exactly ?

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: September 21, 2021 15:28

DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

Amongst drummers Charlie was world-famous for not
Playing every fourth of the 16 hihat beats
in a 4/4 Beat.
This means that the snare (on every #2 & #4) sounds
differently on #4 without the hihat on top,
Leaving it more „room to breathe“.
So it naturally sounds differently when Mr. Jordan plays it. Although I like the tightness about it. It pushes the band tempovise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 15:32 by DeeGee.

Date: September 21, 2021 15:29

DeeGee
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

Amongst drummers Charlie was famous for not
Playing the fourth of the four hihat beats
in a 4/4 Beat.
This means that the snare (on #2 & #4) sounds
differently on #4 without the hihat on top,
Leaving it more „room to breathe“.
So it naturally sounds differently when Mr. Jordan plays it. Although I like the tightness about it. It pushes the band tempovise.

Thanks for qualified explanation of the differences' causes

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home