Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: God bless and good luck Steve Jordan
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:05

Steve Jordan's Drumkit (20-Sep-2021, Foxborough, Gillette Stadium):

Screenshot from the Video of the RS-App.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:53

God Bless You and Best Wishes !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2021 00:22

ROCKMAN

Date: September 23, 2021 00:24

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 23, 2021 00:40

Rockman

Great clip!

The "headless" drummer cool smiley

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: September 23, 2021 04:57

Good luck to you Sir.

Date: September 23, 2021 05:58

I'll post my opinion in this thread, too.

It seems that if you don't want to close your ears and pretend everything is alright, you are now called hater here.

Well, everybody's choice, if you don't (wanna) hear the huge change in sound, metronome-like and loud, sound crashing drumming of Mr. Jordan, then what can be done about that.

I can only hope that either things will improve, or the Stones and people around them will have the courage not only to play this fall shows, but also reasonably decide about their future.

Until that, it's probably pointless to argue here further, since many members simply don't wanna be disturbed in their enjoyment and whoever will try to tell them where really is the problem and what can be done about it is called hater and negativity maker.

Many times in the past I defended the Stones here, for example when there was Keith bashing etc. Because despite some flaws and weaknesses, the essential elements of Stones' sound were untouched, and the overall character of the songs was preserved. Mr Jordan can technically go through the songs, drums professionally well, but his sound is unfortunately NOT compatible with the Stones, goes into different direction and is not some flaw, tempo change or variation, it is something that does not blend with the sound of the band that is (was) distinctive and unique.

Until this is resolved (somehow), it can generate the tension between those who can hear and admit it, and those who don't and want simply enjoy. That's the fact, and I'll try not to increase the tension further, in this thread I only wanted to explain what is going on and what can be done about it.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: September 23, 2021 06:29

jumpingjackflash5

It seems that if you don't want to close your ears and pretend everything is alright, you are now called hater here.

Well, everybody's choice, if you don't (wanna) hear the huge change in sound, metronome-like and loud, sound crashing drumming of Mr. Jordan, then what can be done about that.

I can only hope that either things will improve, or the Stones and people around them will have the courage not only to play this fall shows, but also reasonably decide about their future.

Until that, it's probably pointless to argue here further, since many members simply don't wanna be disturbed in their enjoyment and whoever will try to tell them where really is the problem and what can be done about it is called hater and negativity maker.

Many times in the past I defended the Stones here, for example when there was Keith bashing etc. Because despite some flaws and weaknesses, the essential elements of Stones' sound were untouched, and the overall character of the songs was preserved. Mr Jordan can technically go through the songs, drums professionally well, but his sound is unfortunately NOT compatible with the Stones, goes into different direction and is not some flaw, tempo change or variation, it is something that does not blend with the sound of the band that is (was) distinctive and unique.

Until this is resolved (somehow), it can generate the tension between those who can hear and admit it, and those who don't and want simply enjoy. That's the fact, and I'll try not to increase the tension further, in this thread I only wanted to explain what is going on and what can be done about it.
eye rolling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 23, 2021 11:29

jumpingjackflash5

...before the tour starts!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-23 11:30 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 23, 2021 12:24

jumpingjackflash5

I will try to explain what I think you don't understand.

1) Fact: most people can't tell the difference between a recording of Honky Tonk played by Jagger with his solo band in 1988 and the same song played by the Brusselles Affair Rolling Stones. And most of those who can recognize some difference don't give a damn. What matters is the song and Jagger singing it.

2) Fact: a relative small minority of super fans or musicians are able to tell the difference between Taylor and Wood, Jones and Wyman, Hopkins and Preston, and of course Charlie Watts and Steve Jordan.

3) Fact: all the musicians who play / have played with the Stones, as proper members of the band or as add ons are great musicians.

4) PERSONAL OPINION: some combinations of the above musicians work better than others.

See, for all of us here - super fans and many musicians (pro or amateur, it doesn't matter) - it is perfectly clear at least since Talk is Cheap that Jordan and Charlie are two different drummers. Very different drummers.

So we all know very well that Jordan has changed the sound of the band.

That said: I like it, you don't.

As some can't stand how Darryl Jones interprets Bill's role, other dig it.

It's just a matter of opinions.

So what?

When you listen to the winos live do you skip Shelter because Jordan is no Watts?

Do you think that people at Stones concerts take a piss break during Keith's set because Charlie didn't play Happy like Jimmi Miller did?

C

Date: September 23, 2021 12:38

Ok, I understand that many of the fans will not hear or recognize the difference.
But taking the approach "Jagger is singing. so what is the deal" is not for me and also not for many on this site, I think.
Yes it is the matter of opinions, so if somebody likes the new sound, then OK. I am however not convinced that with this sound the Stones would have become famous and unique as they did.
Change of bass player had much less impact on sound and Darryl blended with the band very well. This is, at least now, not the case of Mr Jordan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-23 12:40 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 23, 2021 12:41

I understand that they want to continue playing music together.But they should change the name of the band from "The Rolling Stones" to "The Stones".
That would be fair.

Date: September 23, 2021 12:47

jumpingjackflash5

...before the tour starts!!!

Although I really don't like the new sound, I shall listen to some other songs from the fall tour when they become available. Maybe there is going to happen some improvement. I really wish success to the band and if they find their groove with Mr Jordan or some other drummer, I shall be very happy. I am also very sad of Charlie's passing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-23 12:48 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 23, 2021 13:04

I don‘t think that they should change their name. That they continue without Charlie is clearly a sign that they want to continue to play music and it seems that they see the band more from a musical perspective than from a nostalgic view that defines the identity of the band by its members.
As that seems to be the case I think it would be great if the three of them incorporated the other band members more into the representation of the band in this probably last incarnation of the band. Promoting tours with band pictures with Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Steve, Chuck and Darryl on them wouldn‘t seem weird to me but rather be a testimony to them being a working band that takes it‘s music seriously and that doesn‘t treat its music as a relict of the past.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 23, 2021 13:12

jumpingjackflash5
Ok, I understand that many of the fans will not hear or recognize the difference.
But taking the approach "Jagger is singing. so what is the deal" is not for me and also not for many on this site, I think.
Yes it is the matter of opinions, so if somebody likes the new sound, then OK. I am however not convinced that with this sound the Stones would have become famous and unique as they did.
Change of bass player had much less impact on sound and Darryl blended with the band very well. This is, at least now, not the case of Mr Jordan.

I think what you don't understand is that people may hear and recognise the difference, but not automatically hate it - they are not "closing their ears and pretending". We are all missing Charlie. but the band have chosen to go with a friend rather than look for a Charlie-copycat, and how that works out is yet to be seen.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 23, 2021 13:14

For brand new songs this would be ok but for Rolling Stones songs no way

Date: September 23, 2021 13:32

Green Lady
jumpingjackflash5

I think what you don't understand is that people may hear and recognise the difference, but not automatically hate it - they are not "closing their ears and pretending". We are all missing Charlie. but the band have chosen to go with a friend rather than look for a Charlie-copycat, and how that works out is yet to be seen.

I understand that looking for Charlie copycat is silly and probably impossible.
But Mr Jordan was "found" as a temporary replacement. When he was chosen as a solution nobody knew what will happen with Charlie. For the purpose of temporary replacement I had no objections about him.

But if the Stones want to continue they should select their permanent drummer again.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 23, 2021 22:51

liddas
jumpingjackflash5

I will try to explain what I think you don't understand.

1) Fact: most people can't tell the difference between a recording of Honky Tonk played by Jagger with his solo band in 1988 and the same song played by the Brusselles Affair Rolling Stones. And most of those who can recognize some difference don't give a damn. What matters is the song and Jagger singing it.

2) Fact: a relative small minority of super fans or musicians are able to tell the difference between Taylor and Wood, Jones and Wyman, Hopkins and Preston, and of course Charlie Watts and Steve Jordan.

3) Fact: all the musicians who play / have played with the Stones, as proper members of the band or as add ons are great musicians.

4) PERSONAL OPINION: some combinations of the above musicians work better than others.

See, for all of us here - super fans and many musicians (pro or amateur, it doesn't matter) - it is perfectly clear at least since Talk is Cheap that Jordan and Charlie are two different drummers. Very different drummers.

So we all know very well that Jordan has changed the sound of the band.

That said: I like it, you don't.

As some can't stand how Darryl Jones interprets Bill's role, other dig it.

It's just a matter of opinions.

So what?

When you listen to the winos live do you skip Shelter because Jordan is no Watts?

Do you think that people at Stones concerts take a piss break during Keith's set because Charlie didn't play Happy like Jimmi Miller did?

C

I think most casual fans can tell the difference between Wood and Taylor, my wife who loves guitars in general but has little interest in Stones live will say that's not Keith or Ronnie when i play Gimme Shelter , Sway, CYHMNK or Street Fighting Man etc when Taylor is playing and soloing with them.
It's a huge difference in the sound.

I agree with you though, Bill gone didn't change things where it counts, same with Bobby Keys, it's just slightly different, and i feel at odds to say and admit that with Charlie gone it slightly changes things but not where it counts, this is a guitar band and Keith's guitar is the sound of the Stones.

As long as Keith is still playing with Mick singing, it's the Stones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2021 23:04

liddas

Ridiculous.

liddas

Again, ridiculous...maybe even more ridiculous than "Fact" #1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-23 23:06 by Hairball.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 23, 2021 23:21

You can always stop hearing the new band. Even you can stop speak about them. Even you can stop thinking about them
But they are here with the dummer they choose, And they don,t want to stop play music
If you don,t like, is your problem
Do you think you are the only one who misses Charlie. Maybe three guys , Mick Keith snd Ron are who really miss him
And they understand much more than us, about music and drumming

Date: September 23, 2021 23:53

How did you first meet Steve?

I’ve had a long affiliation with Steve.
When I lived in New York, he was always at my house,
him and [bassist] Charley Drayton. We were always
jamming in my little studio on West 78th Street.
We were the Upper West Side Gang with [Bobby] Womack
and [Don] Covay. There was a lot of soul exchanged.

........................... Ronnie Wood

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-24 00:07 by Rockman.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 24, 2021 00:05

It's from the Interview by [Variety.com] - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-24 00:15 by Irix.

Date: September 24, 2021 00:08

Whoops .... fanks irix ...

Had me readin glasses on up-side down ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 24, 2021 00:31

[www.youtube.com]

See the video

Steve Jordan is versatile regarding the right hand

Sometimes he plays using the traditional/military grip, jazz-like, as Charlie did most of the time with the Stones

Other times, Steve plays using the matched grip (left and right hands in parallel), which gives a stronger feel.

It would be logical he plays using the traditional/military grip with the Stones to get a smoother sound.

Charlie played sometimes the matched grip in the earlies sixties with the Stones, because he said it looked more "modern", but later came back to his jazzy roots.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 24, 2021 03:46

Best of luck and good wishes to Steve Jordan and the emtire bamd. God bless!

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 24, 2021 04:02

jumpingjackflash5

Its only rock amd roll but Mivk and Keith like it. (Steve Jordan) Nothing can ne done about it.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: September 24, 2021 05:17

I think the odds of Mick and Keef saying 'now that the tours over let's audition a new drummer' are slim to none.

They keep mentioning his connection to Keith and Charlie and I feel like that is more legitimate to them than holding an audition. From their recent interviews they feel he is respectful in his honouring of Charlie and aren't too focused on how different he sounds.

Just my 2 cents, but I think there's a 1 percent chance of them auditioning another drummer for next year. But I'll be happy to see them hit the road next year, if they choose to do so with or without Steve. And I wish him the best on this upcoming tour.

Date: September 24, 2021 06:49

BeastyBurdeny
I think the odds of Mick and Keef saying 'now that the tours over let's audition a new drummer' are slim to none.

They keep mentioning his connection to Keith and Charlie and I feel like that is more legitimate to them than holding an audition. From their recent interviews they feel he is respectful in his honouring of Charlie and aren't too focused on how different he sounds.

Just my 2 cents, but I think there's a 1 percent chance of them auditioning another drummer for next year. But I'll be happy to see them hit the road next year, if they choose to do so with or without Steve. And I wish him the best on this upcoming tour.

Yes I am also afraid that the chance is very low. I mentioned it as the possibility to resolve the situation.

Date: September 25, 2021 03:32

Steve Jordan - Modern Drummer interview

[www.moderndrummer.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 25, 2021 18:08

I completely understand not liking Steve Jordan as the new drummer just like I understood not liking Darryl as the new bass player. The thing is, we have nearly sixty years of studio recordings and concert recordings with Charlie to enjoy.

Instead of embracing the admittedly extreme reaction of saying "they should audition other players because I dislike their decision" or "they should change the band's name or shorten it to show that carrying on as a band is somehow inauthentic," one could behave like a normal, rational person and simply say "I don't like this anymore so I'm not going to play recordings I don't like" or "I'm not going to bother to waste money and time on concerts I won't enjoy."

There's decades of material you do enjoy and only a bit you won't so just stop with what you enjoy. Projecting our wishes on Mick and Keith is unrealistic and unhealthy. Enjoy it? Watch it, play it, buy it. Don't enjoy it? Move on. It doesn't make you less of a fan any more than Brian fans or Taylor fans or people that got off the bus forty years ago when they lost their relevance to pop culture as songwriters.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home