Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith Richards timing when he play solos live, what do you think?
Date: September 20, 2021 15:37

MelBelli
I don’t think there’s a problem with “timing” or phrasing. He picks his spots well. He just doesn’t do much in those spots anymore. He has lost dexterity in his fingers — and to a greater degree than his peers. There’s no denying it.

In my opinion, the biggest problem is tone. As he has physically declined, he has insisted on a simpler rig. There is no hiding from mistakes when your tone is that dry and stark.

On top of that, Stones house mixing now highlights guitar solos *way* out front these days.

There’s no hiding from that, either.

Did they bring back some grit in the tone on the Zip Code-tour? At least it sounded that way on some of the YouTube-recordings (and Keith played some different guitars - CYHMK with a Gibson springs to mind).

However, I agree totally with all your points here. Extremely heavy gauged strings, a dry and naked tone and no "help" - there is nowhere to "hide" smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-20 15:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 20, 2021 15:44

The open-G Teles sound great. I have no problem there. But when he’s playing the yellow Junior and the 335s through the tweed Twins and switches to bridge pickup for leads — it’s pretty bad.

Add a tasteful amount of delay, or maybe a bit of chorus, to that signal and he would not have to fight the guitar so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-20 15:45 by MelBelli.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 20, 2021 18:27

I just hope they, and Keith in his solos, don’t embarrass themselves.

I don’t want them (him) to go down like some punch drunk boxer that goes one bout too many.

I hope they’re great on this tour. But all the talk thru the years about how “we’re playing better than ever” is romantic, but patiently wrong when your main man simply isn’t.

They were great to see in Australia in 2014, but even then they weren’t as good as they were in 2003.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-20 18:28 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 20, 2021 19:39

MelBelli
I don’t think there’s a problem with “timing” or phrasing. He picks his spots well. He just doesn’t do much in those spots anymore. He has lost dexterity in his fingers — and to a greater degree than his peers. There’s no denying it.

In my opinion, the biggest problem is tone. As he has physically declined, he has insisted on a simpler rig. There is no hiding from mistakes when your tone is that dry and stark.

On top of that, Stones house mixing now highlights guitar solos *way* out front these days.

Let's be honest most of Keiths peers are younger or dead.

He's 78 years old this year and still playing Stadium Rock, that's an incredible thing, and to be doing it with those fingers of his is beyond belief, so what can we expect, give the guy a break.

The sound needs to be high in the mix to give the impact needed, that's the whole deal with Keith's signatures, and for the most part the crowd love it, when he hits those openning chords and intros like in SMU or BS it hits you hard, it has to be like that, who cares about the off tuck up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-20 19:45 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: September 20, 2021 19:51

I prefer Keith as a rhythm player but several of his solos are great to listen to as well. One of the most influential guitarist of the 20th century in Rock. He passed in on. thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 20, 2021 19:57

Eccentric sometimes these days. On a good day, he's special. On a bad day, not so much.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 20, 2021 20:09

MelBelli

He’s never had a rig to cover his mistakes.

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: September 20, 2021 20:25

Keith played much better on A Bigger Bang tour, his playing has become stiff and his solos are quite bad. It's sounds like he don't have a plan, he should stick to rythm and licks when playing live.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 20, 2021 22:51

Since the 40 licks tour things have worsened a lot. Steel wheels onwsrds it,s been a downhill, both live snd studio.
Anywsy the essence is there, but even the attitude is gone.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 20, 2021 22:56

IMHO, his acoustic playing is still touching, nuanced, and emotive. The electric work is often in and out, even within a show.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 21, 2021 11:58

I think Dandy and others have stated that the decline began during the Voodoo Lounge Tour. On reflection, there’s an undeniable dip in his playing in comparison to his blistering form during the Steel Wheels and Urban Jungle Tours, where he was consistently performing at a level as good as any personal previous peak. He seemingly had such ferocious confidence during the 1989-90 shows’. He’s still near-superb during the Voodoo Lounge Tour, I think. For me, the Licks Tour - and more so - The A Bigger Bang Tour is where his fingers begin to noticeably affect him and his performance; sometimes to the point whereby it ruins the overall band performance.

Date: September 21, 2021 13:52

I think it was even a bit earlier, Al. This is a pic from 1992, and his fingers are clearly swelling already.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 21, 2021 14:13

DandelionPowderman
MelBelli

Did they bring back some grit in the tone on the Zip Code-tour? At least it sounded that way on some of the YouTube-recordings (and Keith played some different guitars - CYHMK with a Gibson springs to mind).

However, I agree totally with all your points here. Extremely heavy gauged strings, a dry and naked tone and no "help" - there is nowhere to "hide" smiling smiley

It's interesting that he chose (or accepted?) to convert both his single-cut Sunburst '57 Les Paul Junior AND '75 black Tele Custom to open-G's. My 2 favourite standard tuned guitars of his over the years. That Junior sounded great in '81, it must be summat with the wood in that specific guitarsmileys with beer

"The open-G Teles sound great. I have no problem there. But when he’s playing the yellow Junior and the 335s through the tweed Twins and switches to bridge pickup for leads — it’s pretty bad."

MelBelli, Sir, you mean his 355 and 345 right?smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 21, 2021 14:48

DandelionPowderman
I think it was even a bit earlier, Al. This is a pic from 1992, and his fingers are clearly swelling already.

I recall reading in Finnish rock magazine Soundi him talking about his hands and about the possibility if those doesn't work properly any longer. He sounded horrified if that would happen. I think it was him promoting TALK IS CHEAP there - so it was pretty 'early' on. I found that ackward or even scary at the time.. like, why would he talk about that kind of scenario - the immortal Keith Richards? Now to think of it, was he just being hypothetical (like I then interpreted), or was there already some kind of signs or symptoms in his fingers or something?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 14:53 by Doxa.

Date: September 21, 2021 14:55

Probably the latter, Doxa, but he probably didn't know how much it would affect his playing and well-being.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 21, 2021 15:05

Keith actually said a few years ago that his fingers really hurt when they began to swell up for years but that now they don't hurt him or give him pain, just that they get in the way when he is playing.

That's an interesting picture of his fingers because the decline in his playing started in 1992-93 and i always thought it was burn out from his lifestyle but clearly not.

Date: September 21, 2021 15:29

Looks like arthritis which can be partly heritable. Lots of booze doesn't make it any better. Amazing to see that he still can transmit his feeling to the guitar with his fingers these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 15:29 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:17

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I recall reading in Finnish rock magazine Soundi him talking about his hands and about the possibility if those doesn't work properly any longer. He sounded horrified if that would happen. I think it was him promoting TALK IS CHEAP there - so it was pretty 'early' on. I found that ackward or even scary at the time.. like, why would he talk about that kind of scenario - the immortal Keith Richards? Now to think of it, was he just being hypothetical (like I then interpreted), or was there already some kind of signs or symptoms in his fingers or something?

- Doxa

It is shown already in Hail Hail... where there is a remark about it in one of the interviews with him.

Date: September 21, 2021 17:30

It's not that obvious on the Talk Is Cheap-cover, though.

Date: September 21, 2021 17:32

Date: September 21, 2021 17:38

TheflyingDutchman
[woodiesuk.com]

By "Jamie Wood"? grinning smiley

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: September 21, 2021 17:59

He still played really great on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour. Better than in 81-82 if you'd ask me. After that it went downhill pretty fast. In the years that followed he was too busy 'playing keith' on stage with wild arm gestures and kicks rather than hitting the notes and playing solo's. Since the tree incident, al of his solo's actually became interchangeable. You can't really tell one from another. A mishmash...

And since the start of the 50 and counting tour he also started having trouble with the intro's. Probably all due the condition of his fingers. Man, that must be hell for any guitarist...

bitusa2012
I just hope they, and Keith in his solos, don’t embarrass themselves.

I don’t want them (him) to go down like some punch drunk boxer that goes one bout too many.

I hope they’re great on this tour. But all the talk thru the years about how “we’re playing better than ever” is romantic, but patiently wrong when your main man simply isn’t.

They were great to see in Australia in 2014, but even then they weren’t as good as they were in 2003.

I agree. It always gives me secondhand embarrassment when I hear Ronnie or Keith say in an interview or promo that The Stones are still getting better every tour. No, they're not. When you filter the horn section, Chuck, Matt and the background singers out, people will be shocked..

But hey, it's our Keith. Our hero. And who would've expected him to be alive at the age of 78. Let alone perform in front of 75,000 people...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-21 18:00 by ribbelchips.

Date: September 21, 2021 18:07

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
[woodiesuk.com]

By "Jamie Wood"? grinning smiley

cool smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 21, 2021 19:05

Cooltoplady
Just let Ronnie do the leads

He already does, so he gets The Stone's eternal MVP award. Especially for cleaning up his act as far as drink and drugs, so that he can take on the extra burden. Which he enjoys immensely, so this is a burden/not a burden. I must guess that at a certain point Mick and Ron had a sit down, where Mick told him to please clean up your act, because Keith's output just isn't what it used to be.

Ron's admission was that for 40 years, that whenever he was up on stage, that he played in an impaired condition. All ancient history now. Then you have Ronnie being called the "REAL Keith Richards as far as drugs/drink intake. The man has an iron constitution. Must be Ronnie's rumored gypsy blood. And Keith too-- Iron constitution.

Date: September 21, 2021 19:53

<He already does>

I'd say it's pretty 50/50.

On the NF tour Keith always plays the leads on IORR, SFTD, HTW, Slipping Away, GS, Satisfaction, UMT etc. Many tunes don't have solos, so it's pretty even between the guitarists.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:42

Not only the pain, but mobility snd mechanic limitations on his finger joints

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:20

triceratops
Cooltoplady
Just let Ronnie do the leads

He already does, so he gets The Stone's eternal MVP award. Especially for cleaning up his act as far as drink and drugs, so that he can take on the extra burden. Which he enjoys immensely, so this is a burden/not a burden. I must guess that at a certain point Mick and Ron had a sit down, where Mick told him to please clean up your act, because Keith's output just isn't what it used to be.

Ron's admission was that for 40 years, that whenever he was up on stage, that he played in an impaired condition. All ancient history now. Then you have Ronnie being called the "REAL Keith Richards as far as drugs/drink intake. The man has an iron constitution. Must be Ronnie's rumored gypsy blood. And Keith too-- Iron constitution.

Mick will always get the MVP award. I'd definitely give Ronnie the "Most Improved Player" award though.

Date: September 22, 2021 00:34

Listen to the people who will tell you it's all a matter of taste (whatever it is that they're talking about - maybe they're talking about their fundamental lack of taste) or that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Or maybe even in the ears of the listener. Just don't believe them. You may as well listen to Chuck Berry when he did "it" when he was 80. Then face the facts. Finally.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:54

Big Al
I think Dandy and others have stated that the decline began during the Voodoo Lounge Tour. On reflection, there’s an undeniable dip in his playing in comparison to his blistering form during the Steel Wheels and Urban Jungle Tours, where he was consistently performing at a level as good as any personal previous peak. He seemingly had such ferocious confidence during the 1989-90 shows’. He’s still near-superb during the Voodoo Lounge Tour, I think. For me, the Licks Tour - and more so - The A Bigger Bang Tour is where his fingers begin to noticeably affect him and his performance; sometimes to the point whereby it ruins the overall band performance.
I agree he played great on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tours.I think he had 2 peaks as a guitarist live, the 1969-1975 tours where his ferocious rhythm playing drove the band with an occasional solo and the Steel Wheels /Urban Jungle tours, where he played more solos. But to still be playing live at almost 80 is a great thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 00:57 by Taylor1.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 22, 2021 20:20

One of Keith's last creative electric solos was on Sad,Sad,Sad and one of his acoustic solos was on Almost Hear You Sigh from Steel Wheels.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home