Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Trying to avoid overusing our phones at shows
Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: September 15, 2021 18:36

Sometimes I wished cell phones didn't exist. Every time I go to a shoe I have the urge to film or go to Facebook live and then I'm not in the moment enjoying the concert. I did this recently at a concert with John Fogerty, George Thorogood and ZZ Top just before Dusty died. I fiddled with the damn phone until ZZ came on. My battery died and I was able to really enjoy ZZ.

How does everyone handle this with the phones? I don't want to get obsessive with filming, taking pics and going live, etc. Thanks for your input.

Re: Trying to avoid overusing our phones at shows
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 15, 2021 18:48

In 2019 at the Chicago shows I just made the point of not taking too many photos or shooting videos. I think I set my limit to two video clips per show max. In 2017 and 2018 I felt I hsd taken enough photos over the 13 shows I went to. Sure, they are nice as Facebook memories once a year, but ask yourself: how often do you really go back and look at them?

It's a better experience if you put your phone away. I tried to remember my first ever Stones show back in 1998 when there were no smartphones. I mean, just enjoy the music.

And hey, guaranteed your fellow fans and friends will take photos/shoot video clips, chances are they'll even have better equipment for that! winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-15 18:51 by Topi.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 15, 2021 18:48

Yes put the darn phone away. Nothing is worst then someone filming in front of you blocking your view of the stage. If you want to remember the concert just remember it with your brain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-15 18:49 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 15, 2021 19:11

Totally agree. Went to see Vintage Trouble and the singer (Ty Taylor is it?) asked everyone to put their phones away and just be together in the moment and enjoy ourselves. Fantastic.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 15, 2021 19:14

I like to take maybe one or two photos a show, discreetly as possible.
Learned a long time ago that there are so many better photos and vids available after the fact if I want one that there's really no need.

The live streaming is a bit of a double edged sword though.
While I can't stand to be near someone doing it at the show, enjoy watching them when I can't be there. Personally would never do it.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 15, 2021 19:15

"Everybody is filming instead of clapping and enjoying the show" - parody of the 1978 Album-Cover of Equinoxe by Jean-Michel Jarre.

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: September 15, 2021 19:59

I don't use the phone at the show - last time (London 2018) I went to the show without the phone... and it was liberating winking smiley

Date: September 15, 2021 20:06

I record when the lights go down into the first minute of opening song and final bows. Nothing between.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 15, 2021 20:30

MisterDDDD
I like to take maybe one or two photos a show, discreetly as possible.
Learned a long time ago that there are so many better photos and vids available after the fact if I want one that there's really no need.

Same here, I might take 2-3 photos, but there’s so much footage and pics out there from each gig that there’s no need. I usually just soak it up.

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: September 16, 2021 00:08

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 16, 2021 00:22

.... its time for NINJA BOMB ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 16, 2021 00:23

makemeburnthecandle
I record when the lights go down into the first minute of opening song and final bows. Nothing between.

That’s what I did at the 2019 Seattle show. I recorded the introduction and about 90 seconds of SFM. That’s all I needed and I enjoyed the rest of the show.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 16, 2021 00:23

i understand peoples feelings on this but for those of you who do take a couple photos or a few minutes of video and share it with the rest of us thank you

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 16, 2021 00:31

I've been to multiple Jack White shows, and he has people put their phones in a pouch which is then locked--they keep it with them, and it's then unlocked in one second after the show (a lot of comedians do this too)--and the difference is unreal. Everybody is totally in the moment instead of looking at it through a screen, the artists aren't looking into the crowd and just seeing a sea of screens so they can make a human connection with the audience, and short people don't have their views blocked for the entire show. I wish all artists did this, always and forever.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: September 16, 2021 00:32

If you're in a smaller venue I think you should record the whole show with your phone. Would've loved to seen phone recordings of Echoplex 2013 or Kraft Show 2016. Or the upcoming Kraft Show.

But in a stadium with thousands of people, there's not much point in recording the show with your phone, unless you're very near the stage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 16, 2021 00:36

I've been to multiple Jack White shows, and he has people put their phones in a pouch

Hey yeah thats a cool idea ....

We gotta alotta kangaroos down here
so we can put them to good use ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 16, 2021 00:49

Be here now.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: September 16, 2021 00:53

EasterMan
If you're in a smaller venue I think you should record the whole show with your phone. Would've loved to seen phone recordings of Echoplex 2013 or Kraft Show 2016. Or the upcoming Kraft Show.

Yes if any real Stones fans gets to see the Kraft show, they should record it! Even if that means discreetly recording the audio with your phone at waist level.

Date: September 16, 2021 01:46

Re: Trying to avoid overusing our phones at shows new
Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: September 16, 2021 00:53

EasterMan

Yes if any real Stones fans gets to see the Kraft show, they should record it! Even if that means discreetly recording the audio with your phone at waist level.

or at least as much footage as from the last one in 2016

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: September 16, 2021 01:54

I just record audio and DO NOT use a phone to do it. The people next to me have no clue what I am doing unless they try to talk to me.

Date: September 16, 2021 02:02

Re: Trying to avoid overusing our phones at shows new
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: September 16, 2021 01:54

I just record audio and DO NOT use a phone to do it. The people next to me have no clue what I am doing unless they try to talk to me.

and thank you sir for your servicewinking smiley

hope you get an invite to the kraft party

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 16, 2021 02:21

Am curious. How does Jack White have all phone pouches unlock immediately after the show ends? On another note, why don't the performers just ask folks to put their phones away and flick their Bics at the end of the show? Am sure many here flicked a Bic more than once in their time.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 16, 2021 03:10

I always go to setlistfm website to check out a band's setlist, which is pretty much identical show to show. If I want to video a certain favourite song I know when it's coming up. McCartney Live and Let Die with all the pyro and Hey Jude for a stadium sing a long. R'n'R All Night from KISS for all the pyro/lasers.
These days no one holds lighters in the air like we used to do, everyone holds their phones up!

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 16, 2021 03:14

DGA35
I always go to setlistfm website to check out a band's setlist, which is pretty much identical show to show. If I want to video a certain favourite song I know when it's coming up. McCartney Live and Let Die with all the pyro and Hey Jude for a stadium sing a long. R'n'R All Night from KISS for all the pyro/lasers.
These days no one holds lighters in the air like we used to do, everyone holds their phones up!

Setlist.fm is how I determine my beer/bathroom breaks.

At a Tool show just before the pandemic hit, the workers policed cell use for pictures and videos and kicked some out for it. Last song, they allowed pics and videos. I liked that.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 16, 2021 05:15

dmay
Am curious. How does Jack White have all phone pouches unlock immediately after the show ends? On another note, why don't the performers just ask folks to put their phones away and flick their Bics at the end of the show? Am sure many here flicked a Bic more than once in their time.

As you leave the venue, they swipe the pouch over a magnet.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 16, 2021 07:22

MingSubu
dmay

As you leave the venue, they swipe the pouch over a magnet.

And it literally just takes a second. In the past, he used to have his tour manager comes out and ask people to put their phones away, and many of them didn't, sooooo . . .

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2021 07:27

I used to bring my camera to concerts in the 70s and into the mid-80s. I was spending so much time trying to get the perfect shot I was missing the very concert I came to. I put it away and never brought it back out.

I went to the Dali museum in Spain a few years back. There was a busload of pupils there. They all stopped at every painting, trying to get the perfect shot. It was a real drag.

Most people that record videos and photos on their cameras might look at them once, and never look again. JUST ENJOY THE MOMENT.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 16, 2021 10:44

I also stopped taking pics at shows quite some years ago after deciding my time was faaaaar better spent focusing 100% on the show instead of trying - and invariably failing - to take any decent shots. The images in my head are always a better memory for me. If I do want to look at photos, there are always plenty of fantastic ones that the good photographers among us generously share after the show for everyone to enjoy.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: September 16, 2021 16:11

the last time I took my phone or my camera to a show was back on the 2012 tour, if you go and find a video of lets say the Bridges to Babylon tour, everyone is dancing, watching the show and having a good time, go for the show, you will enjoy it.

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: September 16, 2021 21:33

I wholeheartedly agree... you lose so much of the show by trying to get pics. Live life & enjoy the show in the present without the distraction!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home