Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Emma Raducanu - tennis has a new hero
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 12, 2021 02:05

Absolutely thrilled to see Emma Raducanu blow away the opposition to win the US Open at the age of 18.

She will be at the top for 15 years but how incredible to win a Grand Slam tournament at just the 2nd attempt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-13 20:38 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT: Emma Raducanu - tennis has a new hero
Date: September 12, 2021 02:07

Very very good player but nothing as unpredictable as women's tennis.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 12, 2021 02:32

The only player ever to come through the qualifying rounds and go on to win a title in a Grand Slam tournament. Well done to both her and her opponent Leylah Fernandez of Canada.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: September 12, 2021 03:49

Nice for us English to have a new tennis sporting hero.
I'm sure another British tennis player was wearing his Canadian shirt tonight. I really hope he was p*ssed off with Emma's win.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2021 03:53

..... nice skin Emma ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 12, 2021 03:57

Congrats to Emma, I think Leylah was just too tired from her 4 previous games beating all the top players in 3 sets. Her serving was poor today and was a big contributor to her loss.
Emma is actually born in Toronto and Leylah in Montreal so in a way 2 Canadians in the finals.
Hey Captain Teague, who are you referring to about the British player? I don't follow tennis too much but I think a lot of Canada was watching this match. Canadian women have been doing well this year in sports, women winning Olympic gold in soccer and our women's hockey team winning gold in the World Championships last month.
Hopefully Emma and Leylah have long successful careers!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 12, 2021 04:00

Fantastic achievement. The two girls were brilliant. They'll both be huge stars.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: September 12, 2021 05:01

Leylah’s lost first serves were a disadvantage to her. She did have some great second serve comebacks though. But not enough to win. Great game and these two will be at it for years to come. Really enjoyed it.

Date: September 12, 2021 08:46

DGA35
Congrats to Emma, I think Leylah was just too tired from her 4 previous games beating all the top players in 3 sets. Her serving was poor today and was a big contributor to her loss.
Emma is actually born in Toronto and Leylah in Montreal so in a way 2 Canadians in the finals.
Hey Captain Teague, who are you referring to about the British player? I don't follow tennis too much but I think a lot of Canada was watching this match. Canadian women have been doing well this year in sports, women winning Olympic gold in soccer and our women's hockey team winning gold in the World Championships last month.

Canadian guys did well in the Open, too, with FAA through to the semis.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 12, 2021 09:39

DGA35

Emma Raducanu holds a Canadian passport by virtue of being born there, but moved to the U.K. aged two and hold a British passport, also. By choosing to represent Britain internationally, it’s clear what she considers herself. She’s ours, not Canada’s! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 12, 2021 13:37

Captain Teague
Nice for us English to have a new tennis sporting hero.
I'm sure another British tennis player was wearing his Canadian shirt tonight. I really hope he was p*ssed off with Emma's win.

Who’s that? Every noted British tennis player is supportive of her. Canadian born and bred Greg Rusedski who represented Britain due to his English mum and is settled in London was part of the TV coverage. So too both Murray brothers. Andy doesn’t have a great media profile but he’s trained with her before.

It’s very good news and more wins could easily follow if she can remain injury free. She seems like a very grounded person too with good people around her who won’t let it all go to her head.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 12, 2021 18:31

I was all prepared to just hear the commentary on the radio about 9pm, and pleasantly surprised to see it was on Channel 4 here in UK.
As well as being born in Canada and having a Chinese mother and Romanian father, I would like to think that she calls England her home.

Like all the media and player's commenting, she has got it all,and she definitely deserves all the accolades from youngsters at her former school and local tennis club,to the Queen,who sent her a nice letter. thumbs up

Mustn't forget another British tennis player, Joe Salisbury,who with his tennis partner's won both the Men's Doubles and the Mixed Doubles in the US Open.thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-12 18:46 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 12, 2021 19:36

Completely unprecedented to win a Slam from qualifiers. It was a good match too, despite the score not looking close. Fernandez is a fighter, but I thought she was inferior in all departments, not just serve. Time to improve at just 19, mind. Final and whole tournament from what I saw was a wonderful advertisement for women's tennis - far more interesting than the men's game atm.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 12, 2021 20:24

I'm thrilled for Emma & for women's tennis. She gave the game a much needed shot in the arm! She is also so well-spoken...it's refreshing to hear young, articulate tennis players taking over the game. She is no fluke!! She has a well-rounded, all court game. I am looking forward to seeing her in the years ahead.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 12, 2021 20:27

crawdaddy
I was all prepared to just hear the commentary on the radio about 9pm, and pleasantly surprised to see it was on Channel 4 here in UK.
As well as being born in Canada and having a Chinese mother and Romanian father, I would like to think that she calls England her home.

Like all the media and player's commenting, she has got it all,and she definitely deserves all the accolades from youngsters at her former school and local tennis club,to the Queen,who sent her a nice letter. thumbs up

Mustn't forget another British tennis player, Joe Salisbury,who with his tennis partner's won both the Men's Doubles and the Mixed Doubles in the US Open.thumbs up

Crawdaddy, she’s 100% British. She spent five minutes in Canada, before moving here. Her ‘ethnic background’ isn’t from these isles, but her citizenship is British. It’s her homeland. Hear her accent!

Date: September 12, 2021 21:00

Big Al
crawdaddy

Crawdaddy, she’s 100% British. She spent five minutes in Canada, before moving here. Her ‘ethnic background’ isn’t from these isles, but her citizenship is British. It’s her homeland. Hear her accent!

She only spent the first 2 years of her life in Toronto so she would have no recollection. Her parents were in the financial sector so they moved to London, not sure if it was for the same company. Her twitter feed does list London/Toronto/Shengyang and Bucharest at the top. It's nice to see a new generation of up and coming players playing well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 12, 2021 23:48

Talented! And what a cutie.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 13, 2021 00:05

I hadn't watched any of the US Open matches but decided last night to watch this one and am so glad I did. I can't remember when I last saw such a thrilling women's tennis match from start to finish, with some amazing play from both players. The two of them were fantastic, though of course I was rooting for my fellow Brit smiling smiley

Never mind the tennis, Emma Raducanu seems to have such a lovely bubbly personality with a big laughing smile to match. Let's hope she retains that down-to-earthness as she scales the heights of fame and fortune. Go, Emma!!

Date: September 13, 2021 00:36

One thing I like about the women's games is that they're only best of 3 versus best of 5 for mens games. Women's games usually run around 2-2:30 whereas the mens can go well over 4 hours unless it's a 3 set sweep.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 13, 2021 00:48

Yep, 3 sets is well enough. And they should skip the dated counting system. One set should be first to 21 or something (like it used to be in table tennis).
Or best of 7 sets (first to 11 in each set). Like it is in table tennis now. But tennis is a conservative sport and will never change. Like football.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 13, 2021 00:49

Geeeeeez DGA ...
Bet youre glad Wonder Woman cant play tennis ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 13, 2021 00:50

Different strokes for different folks! That's exactly what I don't like about the women's game, as it too often makes for an uninteresting match that can be over and done with in two sets. I much prefer the men's with a potential four or five sets (which is also why I disagree with the equal prize money for men and women in tennis).

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 13, 2021 02:00

I know very well that Emma is British, and she has a Chinese mother and a Romanian father.
She speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese and probably fluent Romanian as well.
That's great, and I have a German mother and a British father.

I'm just stating a few facts I have heard on the BBC news today.
She has got a great future ahead of her I'm sure. thumbs up

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 13, 2021 04:25

Plays three rounds of Qualifying
Seven rounds of main Draw
Doesn’t drop a set
First player to ever reach the finals of a major after coming through Qualifying
Goes without saying she’s the first to win a Major coming through Qualifying
Wins a major title in only her second major tournament appearance.
Her first professional tour level title is a Major title.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: September 13, 2021 07:46

On a bit of a related note, I was glad to see Novak Djokovic lose to Medvedev in the men's finals today. Good to see some young blood win on the men's side too. Was getting tired seeing Djokovic/Federer or Nadal always winning all the major titles.

Date: September 13, 2021 13:49

Medvedev played his best tennis and Djokovic played below his standard. A well deserved win for the Russian player. I don't doubt that Djokovic will win some more GS titles next year. But indeed, time for a younger generation to take over.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 13, 2021 17:36

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-13 18:14 by Stoneage.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 13, 2021 20:33

I was also thrilled to see Novak LOSE in the finals to Medvedev! Although I think he will be a force for some years to come, it was refreshing to see a new face win a major tournament. As for Nadal, he will be BACK! He is recovering from foot surgery but with his determination, I expect to see him in tournaments next year..I never get tired of him. Djokovic was bragging about his superior mental capabilities...how he can beat anyone because his MIND is so focused and he can elevate his game to places other players can't go ( that was the gist of what he said in a recent interview!)...such confidence!!! WAH!!! The " JOKER" is beatable!! Emma is a delight and she will be around for a long time, if she stays healthy!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 14, 2021 06:04

Beast
I hadn't watched any of the US Open matches but decided last night to watch this one and am so glad I did. I can't remember when I last saw such a thrilling women's tennis match from start to finish, with some amazing play from both players. The two of them were fantastic, though of course I was rooting for my fellow Brit smiling smiley

Never mind the tennis, Emma Raducanu seems to have such a lovely bubbly personality with a big laughing smile to match. Let's hope she retains that down-to-earthness as she scales the heights of fame and fortune. Go, Emma!!

Yeah let's hope she can hold on to that. .

I felt sorry for Osaka when she beat Williams who was throwing a fit when she lost and kinda ruined the moment, but Osaka seemed to mimic that this year at the US Open. Hope she can pull it together.

Date: September 14, 2021 09:23

Side note--Emma and Leylah were both at the Met Gala tonight, along with several other players. Venus looked pretty amazing!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home