Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT Faces have recorded 14 new songs and will tour!
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 10, 2022 18:52

Mick, Keith and Ronnie ought to call themselves "The Stones" when they tour.

Drop the "Rolling" part of the name, and then just keep rollin' on...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2022 19:56

kovach
Hairball
I was just pointing that Steely Dan fact out to kovach, and wasn't giving an opinion one way or another regarding what's left of them or the Rolling Stones.
Whether either of them are "truly" what they call themselves is debatable, and the right answer probably depends on who you ask.

I'm not arguing with you but when does this then just become a Donald Fagen solo outing?

As I say this I'm going to see Foreigner next weekend who have zero original members. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Really? So that's the bottom of the barrel, just playing under the name. That's like going to Vegas and seeing the Temptations playing in one lounge, and another Temptations playing in another. The only surviving member is Otis Williams and he doesn't perform, and I don't think he sang lead on any of their songs. I guess you can continue on long as you have the singer, and maybe one of the lead musicians. The Doors weren't so lucky.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 10, 2022 21:16

loog droog

No! When I attended Hyde Park, i attended a most fabulous Rolling Stones concert. As long as there’s Mick and Keith, in my opinion, it’s the band.

OT: Faces
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 10, 2022 21:33

Kenney Jones talks with Stefan Adika for "Artists On Record":

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 10, 2022 22:54

Big Al
loog droog

No! When I attended Hyde Park, i attended a most fabulous Rolling Stones concert. As long as there’s Mick and Keith, in my opinion, it’s the band.

Not that long ago the mantra was, "No Charlie--No Rolling Stones!"

I'm not saying they shouldn't perform. they ought to just adjust the name.

What would you want them to call the act if it were down to Mick and Ronnie?

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: August 11, 2022 00:01

loog droog
Big Al
loog droog

Not that long ago the mantra was, "No Charlie--No Rolling Stones!"

at that point they would just be the 'tones

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 11, 2022 00:37

loog droog

The Rolling Bones? (enter Perry Mason)
The TRolling Stones?
The Tolling Tones? (ticket prices ...)

But what about those 14 Faces Songs now? Have they been recorded? Is there a release date? Or do they want to wait until the new Stones album is out?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 11, 2022 14:39

doitywoik
loog droog

The Rolling Bones? (enter Perry Mason)
The TRolling Stones?
The Tolling Tones? (ticket prices ...)

But what about those 14 Faces Songs now? Have they been recorded? Is there a release date? Or do they want to wait until the new Stones album is out?

Those are just corny tribute band names. If you insist on a change, why not call themselves the (surviving) Cockroaches? The last show they did under that name was pretty good.

(Yes, I've got the El Mocambo show on repeat play at the moment).

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 11, 2022 15:15

loog droog
I'm not saying they shouldn't perform. they ought to just adjust the name...

Why? ... very humorous that some have these rules that they come up with on their own, and act like everyone should know them and abide accordingly.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 12, 2022 01:01

loog droog

right but if they lose the rolling part they are no longer touring as the rolling stones

and they probably can't fill stadiums as "the stones"

which means they won't tour anymore since at this point it's clear that mick wants to play stadiums not smaller venues

same thing for the mythical new album

you think they'll sell as many copies with "the stones" stamped on it as opposed to "the rolling stones"?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 12, 2022 03:18

I would gladly buy a ticket to see Rod and Ronnie together.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 12, 2022 03:39

ProfessorWolf
loog droog

right but if they lose the rolling part they are no longer touring as the rolling stones

and they probably can't fill stadiums as "the stones"

which means they won't tour anymore since at this point it's clear that mick wants to play stadiums not smaller venues

same thing for the mythical new album

you think they'll sell as many copies with "the stones" stamped on it as opposed to "the rolling stones"?

“The Stones” has been synonymous with “The Rolling Stones” for so long it wouldn’t matter if they went on a stadium tour or sold albums under that name. I bet they could even sell out stadiums with just the Lips logo!

As for the band continuing after Charlie, we don’t know what conversations happened before Charlie passed. He recommended Jordan and gave the go ahead from what I recall, so what we think doesn’t matter. It was decision taken within the band as to what would happen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2022 03:42

loog droog

Simplify it down to:

*Stones

*only two original members

People moan about The Who calling themselves the Who w/only two original members left, so the same standards could be applied to the *Stones.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 12, 2022 05:20

24FPS
kovach
Hairball
I was just pointing that Steely Dan fact out to kovach, and wasn't giving an opinion one way or another regarding what's left of them or the Rolling Stones.
Whether either of them are "truly" what they call themselves is debatable, and the right answer probably depends on who you ask.

I'm not arguing with you but when does this then just become a Donald Fagen solo outing?

As I say this I'm going to see Foreigner next weekend who have zero original members. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Really? So that's the bottom of the barrel, just playing under the name. That's like going to Vegas and seeing the Temptations playing in one lounge, and another Temptations playing in another. The only surviving member is Otis Williams and he doesn't perform, and I don't think he sang lead on any of their songs. I guess you can continue on long as you have the singer, and maybe one of the lead musicians. The Doors weren't so lucky.

Actually, The Doors were lucky. Thanks to Robbie and Ray asking Ian Astbury to take over for what it was.

Which Ian did fantastically.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 12, 2022 06:05

Erik_Snow
In the vein of ABBA it seems. The point is to cash in. Rod can stick his toupée somehwere dark. He neglected the band when it was still alive and well. Now it's dead, just like Rod's voice.

OK, I'm as jaded as the next guy, but if you think Rod or Ronnie are trying to 'cash in' with the Faces...I mean...think about it!

Date: August 12, 2022 06:06

GasLightStreet
24FPS
kovach
Hairball

Actually, The Doors were lucky. Thanks to Robbie and Ray asking Ian Astbury to take over for what it was.

and sadly Ian can no longer sing. I remember when that was first announced, I thought an inspired choice.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 12, 2022 07:14

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
kovach
Hairball

and sadly Ian can no longer sing. I remember when that was first announced, I thought an inspired choice.

I caught this lineup and while it felt Ian was imitating Morrison a little too much, man he had the voice.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 12, 2022 16:16

DandelionPowderman
erad
Rod is a shadow of his former self sadly. His concerts seem to be more about scantily clad young women than music nowadays.

I saw a gig on television recently where he was quite good. His voice was better than expected.

thumbs up Rod's voice at one point seemed almost completely shot but... whether with intervention or just good fortune ... it seems to have improved quite a bit in recent times .

OT: Faces
Date: August 12, 2022 16:26

7/27/22 - Pine Knob, Clarkston MI

Date: August 12, 2022 20:31

Paddy
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
kovach
Hairball

I caught this lineup and while it felt Ian was imitating Morrison a little too much, man he had the voice.

Sure, a few songs, maybe a tour, but Ian wasn't a permanent replacement, nor was he going to write exciting new Doors songs.

Re: OT: Faces
Date: August 12, 2022 20:35

bye bye johnny

His voice sounds shot there. Not quite singing in spots, more like talking through the lyrics. The band sounds great. What if they sound better than the 'Faces'? Rod is 77, and doesn't look like he's put in any of the time to be in physical shape like Mick does.

Date: August 12, 2022 22:10

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
kovach
Hairball

Check out the tour he just did! He's taken off lots of pounds and sings like an angel smiling smiley

Re: OT: Faces
Date: August 12, 2022 22:37

bye bye johnny

Two great rockers on guitar here.thumbs up

Date: August 13, 2022 02:13

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
kovach
Hairball

Check out the tour he just did! He's taken off lots of pounds and sings like an angel smiling smiley

Well that would be good news. I saw them on tour headlining with Bush and STP as openers. Cult were bad, mainly because of Ian. I was there primarity to see the Cult. STP were good but Bush/Gavin were sublime...completely unexpected for me.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 13, 2022 04:02

Elmo Lewis
I would gladly buy a ticket to see Rod and Ronnie together.

I'm in on that one too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-13 04:02 by kovach.

Date: August 13, 2022 18:30

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
kovach
Hairball

I just did. That video is from less than three weeks ago. You mean he was in even worse shape, and 'sang' even worse before?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-13 18:31 by 24FPS.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 4, 2022 22:41

OT: Rod Stewart
Date: September 4, 2022 22:54

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: September 5, 2022 03:02

GasLightStreet
24FPS
kovach
Hairball

I caught D21C in Edmonton and thought it was a fantastic tribute to the Doors. Pretty much as good as it could get, without resurrecting or cloning Jim. One of those acts that I wish I could see again, but am thankful I saw once.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 10, 2022 23:36

Rod Stewart: 'This is the last big tour for me'

As he comes to the end of an era with his final rock'n'roll arena shows in Ireland, Rod Stewart talks music highlights, Celtic and future plans 

“Six months ago we were close to having something special,” admits Stewart. “I was with Ronnie, we were playing the old Faces songs and they were brilliant. You can hear it’s the Faces but as you get older your voice gets a little lower. I said: ‘Ronnie I can’t sing them anymore’. I told him we can tune down and suggested he get me, him and Kenny in the studio with a really good bass player.”

[www.irishexaminer.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home